Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Noah'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-02-06, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of The Noah at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22526 and...

I have to disagree with the "rental" recommendation for this film; it deserves to be in the Collector's Series. I could understand that designation if someone thinks, as Stuart Galbraith did, that this should have been a short film half its length.

Yet this movie is pure brilliance, an original synthesis of sci-fi and Sixties-era European cinema. Robert Strauss' theater background serves him well; this superficially could be considered a one-man play adapted for film. Instead it is a great portrayal of a necessary descent into madness to cope with isolation. In that sense, the movie is more reminiscent of The Last Man on Earth than even The Beach, to which it has been compared.

The often disjointed sounds and beautiful black and white photography eventually come together to move this story along at a rapid clip. As Galbraith pointed out, the film is in three segments. However, the length seems perfect as everything collides in a jarring crescendo. Strauss' masterful performance alone made this a great movie, but Director Daniel Bourla's wonderful screenplay and sharp images make this a near-perfect movie.

It is fantastic to see a film like The Noah recaptured and restored to this quality.