Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Corinne Bailey Rae full concert online

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-01-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was flipping through the channels when VH-1 played this snippet of a video from a singer named Corinne Bailey Rae. The song, "Put Your Records On" sounded pretty catchy, so I sought out the album and gave it a listen. And wow! This girl totally knocked my socks off. Her album is the best thing to happen to my ears in a great long while and I can't stop listening to it.

Her voice is like butter, which is refreshing, considering her peers all seem to over-sing EVERYTHING (cough Alicia Keys cough). The press is trying to label her jazz and the next Billie Holiday, but I think her sounds is more r&b/pop - but not pop in the sense of Ashanti or Britney Spears, as Corinnes music actually has some soul to it.

Here is the full concert on AOL music if you're interested: http://music.aol.com/network_live/co...y_rae/ondemand

If you're hard up for some new R&B (pickings are pretty slim), pop, or just a really solid album - her self entitled album might be the ticket.

It is rare that I find many albums that I can listen to straight through without skipping any songs, and so far this year I've found two! Corinne's album and Athlete's "Vehicles and Animals" (which is the catchiest album in the history of the world)...so I feel pretty good about that.

Last edited by boredsilly; 07-01-06 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought she was pretty good. I cringe when the Billie Holiday comparisons come up because that's short of blasmephous unless someone has preternatural prowess as a vocalist.

Don't get me wrong --- I think she's OK, but no more interesting than Norah Jones after her first album, for example. I think Madeleine Peyroux is a lot more interesting.

Also noticed that her album is now in Starbucks --- seems like a good fit. She's been pretty big in the UK for a couple of months now.