Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (OMFG why is no one talking about this game?)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-01-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a search and only found a couple of mentions in the E3 threads. Maybe this should be an official game thread. We'll see. Also, let me know if the links to the screensshots and trailers don't work since they're from my local ISP's website. Not sure if you need an account to view them.

People will naturally be comparing it to Oblivion as it's the current benchmark for RPG's but it seems to be more of a combat game.

If someone can confirm that the image and video links work I'll post more.

Thanks to kgrogers1979 for the gametrailers link here.

Hopefully you can see the screenshot. I'll try to post more later.

Last edited by fmian; 07-01-06 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one here is talking about Dark Messiah because it is a relatively obscure PC only game.

I agree that the game is looking really good, and I can't wait for it to come out.

The comparisons to Oblivion are not really fair. Oblivion is a complex RPG. Dark Messiah is an action game with a few RPG elements. The only thing that they really have in common is the LOTR type setting with elves, orcs, etc.

That video link you posted requires a registered account when I click on it. Gametrailers has a lot of videos including the assassin video you posted. The video labeled "E3 2K6 Demo Gameplay" is very impressive, especially the fight against the ogre creature at the end.
Old 07-01-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
The comparisons to Oblivion are not really fair. Oblivion is a complex RPG. Dark Messiah is an action game with a few RPG elements. The only thing that they really have in common is the LOTR type setting with elves, orcs, etc.
Except maybe it should be compared to Oblivion. Might and Magic used to be a great first-person RPG series, and after 3DO butchered it as much as possible, we can only hope someone else does it a tiny shred of justice.

Oblivion is the direction the Might and Magic series should have been continuing to go in, but instead we are getting something different in Messiah. I am still excited for it, as I am a long time fan of the series, but I'd hate to see the old-style first-person RPG Magic and Magic be forever lost.
Old 07-02-06, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are some more.

Old 07-02-06, 09:47 AM
Retired

In general, PC games don't draw a lot of discussion here. It's more of a console heavy board as far as the membership goes. Seems like a few of the more active members who were into PC games, don't post much (or at all) any more as well.
Old 07-02-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Agrred with Josh. If this was for consoles, there would be more talk. A Source-engine RPG-elemented action game? I'm there. But it's for PCs, and it doesn't come out until next year.
Old 07-02-06, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
But it's for PCs, and it doesn't come out until next year.

Actually, Dark Messiah comes out this September, barely two months from now.
Old 07-02-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Seeing as how the pictures of the game made my PC stutter, I shudder to think how many upgrades I would need to actually play the game.
Old 07-02-06, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Seeing as how the pictures of the game made my PC stutter, I shudder to think how many upgrades I would need to actually play the game.

What are your PC specs? The Source engine is very well optimized, so it runs well even on low-end PCs. I would think that if your PC can run Half-life 2 well, it should run Dark Messiah too. This won't be a resource-hungry game like FEAR or Oblivion.