Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you secure DVDs in boxes with broken hubs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-30-06, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching my 2-disc UNFORGIVEN, and when I went to put Disc 1 back in the case, I found that the little push-hub had sunk into the middle and didn't secure the disc completely. It's not like you can just replace a case like that, so what does one do to keep the disc from disengaging and rattling around? Any ideas? Tape? Silly Putty? Krazy Glue? Or something more practical and less damaging?
Old 06-30-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Get a new case

or

Put loose disc in a paper sleeve inside the case
Old 06-30-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I place the Feature disc in the "good hub" so that the film is in less danger and the extras are at risk. If you've seen the features once or twice, then you'll likely not watch them numerous times later.

Paper sleeve for the extra disc will work too.
Old 06-30-06, 10:21 AM

Like gryffinmaster, I move the feature to the good hub and rotate the bonus features disc to the bad hub. One or two folded up soft paper napkins laid on top of the disc on the busted hub will hold it in place safely when the case is closed (for normal shelf storage anyway). It's not elegant, but it works until you can find a decent replacement case.
Old 06-30-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I make a custome cover and change to slim cases. I dislike the original art and boxes on most of my DVDs and end up changing them. First to get rid of crappy images, second for space, third...because I can. I'm down to my last 3 snappers out of over 200. My X-Files (boxes) have been all moved to thinpak. Eventually my Special Editions will be in dual thinpak. I just finished E.T. and Good/Bad/Ugly.
Old 06-30-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Loc Nar
One or two folded up soft paper napkins laid on top of the disc on the busted hub will hold it in place safely when the case is closed (for normal shelf storage anyway).
I basically did the same thing with a paper towel. It works. Maybe they should ship that way to hold things better.
Old 06-30-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pagansoul
I'm down to my last 3 snappers out of over 200. My X-Files (boxes) have been all moved to thinpak. Eventually my Special Editions will be in dual thinpak. I just finished E.T. and Good/Bad/Ugly.
Do you custom make the covers or just convert a downloaded cover for use with thinpaks? I don't think I have the time to do what you've done although I've thought about it.

But back on topic, this is exactly why I hate digipacks. With a standard Amaray style case, you simply replace the case. My Korean 2 disc Lady Vengeance arrived with both hubs busted. No way I'm paying to ship it back to Korea. Might replace it with a custom cover.