Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Godzilla Raids Again" and "Mothra Vs. Godzilla" on November 7, 2006.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 07:49 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Godzilla Raids Again:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=SON056809

Mothra Vs. Godzilla:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=SON056799
Old 06-30-06, 01:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone word if these will be OAR or have a Japanese language track? I'd love to replace my old VHS of Mothra Vs. Godzilla.
Old 06-30-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
OAR and Japanese tracks have been confirmed.
Old 07-01-06, 03:20 AM
Banned

I hope it's the same contents from the box set, and that the other 4 will eventually be released.
Old 07-01-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Classic Media plans on releasing all the titles from the box set 2 at a time by January 07.
Old 07-01-06, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Classic Media plans on releasing all the titles from the box set 2 at a time by January 07.

Thank you!
Old 07-01-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

- then I'll definitely grab 'em.
Old 08-10-06, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused...DVDpacific, my store of choice, shows three films - the original Gojira, and the two mentioned above (for November), for pre-order but no sign of the boxset containing the six films which was due September.

as I'm in the UK, it's better for me to order the films two at a time anyway as the boxset is so expensive it would have import taxes due whereas two films would not.

Is the boxset some exclusive deal? I assume they're all going out under the Sony Wonder label, who distribute for Classic Media..?

Do you have any links that confirm the intention to releasr the films individually, as well as the boxset?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-06, 09:24 AM
Banned

I think the box set has been delayed until after all 6 movies are released individually. The box set is no longer listed at amazon, but it was listed there before.
Old 08-10-06, 10:53 AM

Weird. Most studios go for the box first, to maximise sales. Then they release the singles, for folks who for whatever reason didn't want all the stuff in the box, and who've held off buying because of that.

But then the release is being distributed by Sony (touch of death!).

Maybe it's proven more difficult or expensive to do these discs than planned, and they've been delayed, so they're putting out the ones that are ready now, to turn some profit...?
Old 08-10-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Assuming reviews are good, I'll certainly pick these up to add to my slowing growing Godzilla collection. As for the original, I'm happy with my R2 BFI set.
Old 08-10-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got word from the Wizard World Convention in Chicago that yes indeed - the box set is being pushed back to Fall of next year AFTER all the DVDs are released. Now the kicker is there MAY be bonus content if you wait to buy the box set. Nothing definate but Classic Media said that there ARE plans to this effect. Things could change between now and then tho.

If I can find the original post where the news was spread, I'll link it here.
Old 08-10-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Got word from the Wizard World Convention in Chicago that yes indeed - the box set is being pushed back to Fall of next year AFTER all the DVDs are released. Now the kicker is there MAY be bonus content if you wait to buy the box set. Nothing definate but Classic Media said that there ARE plans to this effect. Things could change between now and then tho.

If I can find the original post where the news was spread, I'll link it here.
Arghhh, I hate this kind of crap! (though I like posters giving early heads up ). Of course, if the individual releases don't sell you might not get the box. For many things I don't care, but I've been waiting for good Godzilla R1 DVDs for a long time.
Old 08-10-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Godzilla Raids Again

Mothra Vs. Godzilla
Old 08-10-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha! I found the post I was looking for. From the Club Tokyo Boards:

I was at Wizard World Chicago yesterday and I saw the Classic Media Booth with the Covers for Godzilla Raids Again Godzilla VS. Mothra and the 2 Disc Set. But they said the art for Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla VS. Mothra isn't final but it did look good. I also went to the Godzilla Panel yesterday they talked mostly about how the film was made and brought here to america. And they talked about the dvd which has nice menus which were shown. Has anybody seen the updates on Classic Media's Godzilla site. It looks good especially the blog and the store.
and

A little more information which I was able to get from Classic Media yesterday:

The featurettes which we produced will be distributed across the series of discs rather than collected all onto one. The tentative schedule:

The Art of Suit Acting - Gigantis
Ifukube bio - Godzilla vs The Thing
Honda bio - Ghidrah
Tanaka bio - Monster Zero
Tsuburaya bio - Godzilla's Revenge
History of Toho Studios - Terror of MG

Because Tsuburaya himself really didn't work on Godzilla's Revenge, I have suggested that bio be swapped out with another.

More importantly to address what seems the #1 concern here...I got some clarification on the box set. It will likely be out in fall of 2007, after all the individual discs, and would have 'value added features' whatever that means. No, I do not know any more details about this...yet. It might be something significant (that I am not aware of yet) or it might mean nothing, so don't get carried away without any real info first.

The banner which was on the booth for the November releases (Gigantis and Thing) said 2 disc set, but that led to some confusion. This was not meant to refer to each film as having two discs--both films together would be two discs. Each film is supposed to be on one disc that contains both English and Japanese versions plus extras.

The cases for each of the November releases were prototype designs, but basically they have done a nice classy job on them. Just like the G54 set, the cases are stiff booklet format (like the Universal monster series), with a wraparound sleeve. The front features Japanese poster art and graphics that emphasize the word Godzilla and that this is part of a series, and the back contains a brief synopsis with a couple pictures. The backs are printed with a silver foil effect that looks very attractive. Every disc will have a holographic Godzilla/Toho logo embedded in them. Personally, I thought they looked great. They are making a lot of effort to do a good job.

Regarding restoration/removing some of the scratches and negative dust, this appears on every print of the G54 now. Kawakita wanted to do a restoration for the 40th and again 50th anniversary, but Toho did not accept his proposal, so don't expect that any time soon from any source.

Ed G.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 08-10-06 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flippin' SUH-WEEEET!
Old 08-10-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am all over these releases.
Old 08-30-06, 12:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by josepotato
Anyone word if these will be OAR or have a Japanese language track? I'd love to replace my old VHS of Mothra Vs. Godzilla.
The American edit of Mothra vs. Godzilla (aka Godzilla vs. The Thing) will be 1.78:1 on the DVD.
Old 10-24-06, 05:06 PM
Cool New Member

What happened to these discs???

My Deep Discount DVD pre-order was cancelled...when I inquired why, they said it was because these items were no longer available. Amazon.com is no longer listing a release date either. What happened? Are these EVER going to come out?
Old 10-24-06, 05:37 PM
Banned

Well, God-Zilla-DAMMIT! I have wanted these forever! What's the friggin' deal?!?!?!
Old 10-24-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I got an email from Clasic Media back on October 11 that stated the release date was November 7.
Old 10-24-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The retail release date for both these titles have been pushed back to Spring 2007. But if you order directly from godzillaondvd.com, you'll still get it on November 7th. They're keeping them exclusive until next year.

Press Release: http://www.scifijapan.com/Classic%20...vsGpress01.jpg
Old 10-24-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
The retail release date for both these titles have been pushed back to Spring 2007. But if you order directly from godzillaondvd.com, you'll still get it on November 7th.

Done

It's actually not too bad of a deal. Currently, they're taking $5 off the retail price, and if you use the code GRAMOTH1 at checkout, it gives you free standard shipping up to $4.95. So both DVDs came to a few cents over thirty bucks shipped.
Old 10-25-06, 08:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Reading the fronts of both packages, it seems that "GRA" Japanese version is not 16x9 but is widescreen and the US version is 4x3, unknown if interlaced, like "Gojira" or progressive.

On "MvG" the Japanese version is widescreen and not 16x9 but the US version is.

Let's hope that the packaging is incorrect and at least all the widescreens are 16x9. It's too damn late in the game to keep giving us these "NON"ANAMORPHIC" discs, if that's the case!!!

I'm hoping for the best and I really want these in my collection!
Old 10-25-06, 08:42 AM

Except they don't ship internationally. Muppets.

Also, I'm willing to bet that a LOT of online stores will be offering bigger discounts.

Sorry but I think this is just one of those "exclusive" deals studios use to hook people who can't wait.

Though, in my case, I shall have to wait, since they wouldn't ship to me even if I wanted to buy it from them right away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.