Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is Navigation Worth It?

spainlinx0
06-29-06, 06:10 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a new car, and I'm wondering if the car has this as an option is it really worth it? Let's take for example the Acura TSX. The navigation model is usually 2,000 dollars more than its counterpart without navigation. As much as I like the idea, I'm just not sure if I will get as much use out of it as I imagine. However is it something like Tivo where before I got it I didn't think about it, but now I couldn't live without it?

Oftentimes while driving I will say to myself "wish I had navigation right now." Also with my job in the fall I will be auditing which requires visiting different clients, and that may help there, but I use mapquest now for this purpose, and it works decently enough. However it is annoying always having to print out the directions and try to read while driving. I don't know if it's 2,000 dollars annoying. So for those of you with this in the car, how often do you use it, and if you could go back, would you not have taken the option on your car?

Bushdog
06-29-06, 06:13 PM
Buy a seperate unit for way sub $1000. That's worth it.

spainlinx0
06-29-06, 06:15 PM
What are the benefits to having it built in as opposed to a separate unit? Does it just look nicer? Is that what you're paying for?

Bushdog
06-29-06, 06:15 PM
Such as

http://www.outpost.com/product/4894040

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4579507

http://buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=GRSPC320

Bushdog
06-29-06, 06:17 PM
What are the benefits to having it built in as opposed to a separate unit? Does it just look nicer? Is that what you're paying for?Yes, and you're paying for them to do it for you.

Seriously, I can't justify the price for something that works exactly the same but which also has more limitations. The portable units can be programmed using a PC, and they're easy to upgrade in 2-3 years for the newer one with new features without a new car, if that kind of thing floats your boat.

Bushdog
06-29-06, 06:18 PM
And if you have a partner/wife/whatever portables jump between cars. If you travel for business you can take a portable unit with you.

jonw9
06-29-06, 06:19 PM
For example, going to crutchfield, you can buy this pioneer navagation unit, with 7" screen and dvd player for $799. Add satelllite radio for another $100.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XneKioukDvb/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=020VRX755&wm=cl

spainlinx0
06-29-06, 06:24 PM
Well, I really can't justify the increase then. Any other car options I should avoid that are significantly cheaper aftermarket, and just as effective?

Bushdog
06-29-06, 06:28 PM
Well, if you're looking Acura, isn't their business model that most is built into the cost (nav aside?)

jonw9
06-29-06, 06:30 PM
Floor mats.. :lol:

Wheel upgrades can usually be found cheaper as well, but typicall for another style and not manufacturer specific.

You can usually find almost any option online for less, lots of times from dealerships in some other location. I boutgh the mats for my car for $20 less than my local dealership where I bought the car.

spainlinx0
06-29-06, 06:42 PM
I was also looking at a Civic if I ended up not wanting to part with almost 30,000 for the TSX, but yes they don't seem to have a lot of options left when I was building it that I actually wanted to add. It was all the floor mats, cargo nets, trunk trays, and other stuff that I didn't bother checking off. I mostly just want the comfort inside, and a nice drive, so I didn't really consider spoilers or trims that simply add style rather than functionality. I figure that would really keep the price low as well.

spainlinx0
06-29-06, 06:44 PM
This will be the first new car I own, so I didn't want to get crazy, but since I will probably be driving it for the next 10 years, I don't want to get something I won't be happy with either.

zuffy
06-29-06, 07:36 PM
Once you use a navigation unit, you can't go back. I bought my Garmin StreetPilot III back in 2000. Best gadget investment ever. It's worth every penny. I no longer have to read BS print out direction or rely on a passenger to read the direction. Last year, I bought my Accord with the builtin navigation unit. Yes, it's about $2000 more but I like the integration with my car. I can control the radio, CD, climate control, and GPS unit from it. The voice recognition feature is awesome when it works.

The cons vs the standalone unit is that the software update is cheaper, portable, more feature rich, and often cheaper.

fujishig
06-29-06, 08:15 PM
Wow, 2 grand for the nav? I agree, though, once you have a GPS you can't go back.

I love my standalone, but there are a few other cons. One, they're easier to steal, and stick out like a sore thumb on most dashboards. Another thing is that most inbuilt nav systems are integrated with the car, so that if you lose satellite signal, it'll still be able to track approximately where you are in the interim by using your odometer, etc. There are standalones that do that as well, but all require professional installation anyway.

Bushdog
06-29-06, 08:20 PM
That's why I pull my portable down and put it in the little storage area (whatever the fuck that's called) between both front seats. No one sees it, thus less risk of theft.

Bushdog
06-29-06, 08:21 PM
Go on ebay and buy an external antenna for 10-70 bucks and your need for dead reckoning lessens considerably.

zuffy
06-29-06, 09:06 PM
That's why I pull my portable down and put it in the little storage area (whatever the fuck that's called) between both front seats. No one sees it, thus less risk of theft.

It's called the console.

Bushdog
06-29-06, 09:07 PM
I was just schooled on English by Zuffy. :lol:

*bows in respect*

:D

zuffy
06-29-06, 09:08 PM
:lol:

SpaceBoy
06-29-06, 09:34 PM
I really think it's worth the extra for the built in. You'll get a bigger screen, and it won't look like a cheap add-on. Personally I can't stand any add ons, and having my sirius not intergrated (car only has xm. I hear there is a converter I will likely get) kills me. Plus with my pilot I can just speak and use it, although at times that's tricky. It is a nice feature.

I think nav in general is easily worth it, if you travel lots of times to new places, or live in a fairly tricky area.

The thing paid for itself, over the last 5 months when we've been looking at houses. Plug in the address and you're off. before it was a pain mapquesting in advance etc.

I say go for it, I wish I had it on both cars.

Bushdog
06-29-06, 09:44 PM
I respectfully and stridently disagree. If you had a portable unit, it won't look like an add-on because it only shows itself when you use it. It will cost 1000-2000 less, and you could use it in 2 cars at once if you wanted. Well not at once, but you can flip between both based on need.

Also, for someone who wants to keep a car for a long time, it is nice if they're not tied to what will become old technology for very long. By 2008-09 I'm guessing most of the GPS units will come with predictive routing which reroutes you based on road conditions, weather, accidents, etc... Not to mention that the algorithms used to route and the features in the devices take huge leaps forward every few years already.

In car units are better integrated, but I like less things built into my car to go wrong, not more.

zuffy
06-29-06, 09:53 PM
I like to own both, best of both world :lol:

spainlinx0
06-29-06, 09:58 PM
I respectfully and stridently disagree. If you had a portable unit, it won't look like an add-on because it only shows itself when you use it. It will cost 1000-2000 less, and you could use it in 2 cars at once if you wanted. Well not at once, but you can flip between both based on need.

Also, for someone who wants to keep a car for a long time, it is nice if they're not tied to what will become old technology for very long. By 2008-09 I'm guessing most of the GPS units will come with predictive routing which reroutes you based on road conditions, weather, accidents, etc... Not to mention that the algorithms used to route and the features in the devices take huge leaps forward every few years already.

In car units are better integrated, but I like less things built into my car to go wrong, not more.

If I wasn't sold before that definitely does it. I definitely plan on keeping this a while so I don't want to be tied down with old stuff like that.

SpaceBoy
06-29-06, 10:12 PM
I respectfully and stridently disagree. If you had a portable unit, it won't look like an add-on because it only shows itself when you use it.

I disagree to this. :)

How can it not look like a cheap add-on, when you see it when you use it. Won't it look like a cheap add-on then? To me it's an eye sore. I prefer a bigger screen and something that looks like part of the car.

It will cost 1000-2000 less, and you could use it in 2 cars at once if you wanted. Well not at once, but you can flip between both based on need.

Well my nav option was 1500 I am fairly certain, so I don't see how you could get one that much cheaper. The only good add-on imho is the one I believe Cobra makes but that is around 600+ the last time I saw read about I thought.

The 2 car thing really is a non-issue to me. Don't you typically drive 1 car on trips etc. That is the way most do I would imagine. If that is the case, get the nav in the one you use as the primary.

Not to mention that the algorithms used to route and the features in the devices take huge leaps forward every few years already.

I would think the nav upgrades you can get annually would include some of this logic, if it's just alogorithms. I sure wouldn't be one to know though.

In car units are better integrated, but I like less things built into my car to go wrong, not more..

I can agree to this :thumbsup:

I think either way you can't go wrong. It's just whatever fits your bill, and it sounds like the portable will be great for you.

I just can't see how people can live without one or another, unless of course they don't have a car.

SoSpacey
06-29-06, 10:43 PM
The Acura navigation kicks ass.

If it is anything like my TLs navigation, get it.

All the voice commands (292?) and the big screen. I think the Acuras have the largest screen on the market, or at least the TL did in 05.

The great thing about the built in is that its there when you need it, and doesnt become an eye sore when you dont.

The navigation is built in so its connected to your audio system. The radio moves to the back speakers only when that bitch is barking directions at you.

Built ins are easier to use on the fly. Its at (short) arms length.

You can press a button on your steering wheel and say "find gas station", "find restaurant", etc.

The Acura nav also has bluetooth connectivity. Basically, if you are driving, you press a button, have the navigation locate something for you, then say "call" and it uses the number in the nav and your bluetooth phone to make the call. Fully integrated.

Want a pizza?
"find Italian Restaurant"
nav - "now finding Italian Restaurant"
sorts by distance to travel.
"down" until you locate which one
say "call" to call and order

The Nav screen on the Acura shows navigation as well as touch screen radio and all your radio displays.

While the features may not be upgradeable (though I am not sure they arent) the navigation software is. For $150 Acura sends you the updated disks.

If you get the Acura, get the nav. It is by far one of the few built in units that are worth every penny.

kvrdave
06-29-06, 10:45 PM
I don't think I could have factory navigation. My dad has it in his Acura. The cost difference doesn't bother me a lot. What really bothers me is that he has to hit "ok" and agree to their terms of agreement every time the car is started. That would piss me off to no end.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-29-06, 11:11 PM
i've had both an OEM for my passat (paid 900 used), and a aftermarket (garmin 2610). the oem factor is nice, but i definately wouldn't pay $2k for it. if i find one used for under a grand, then i might swing for it though. thing is, i don't use the navi enough to gain from the convenience of having an integrated navi.

Buford T Pusser
06-29-06, 11:17 PM
I just use maps. Call me old school.

msdmoney
06-30-06, 12:42 AM
Slightly off topic, but I highly reccomend the TSX, I bought a used 2004 TSX last year, it is a great car.

I didn't get the navigation, even though I can see it being useful I just couldn't justify $2000. LCD's have come down a ton and with the aftermarket units much cheaper I think the factory units should come down in price.

Preacher
06-30-06, 12:48 AM
I just use maps. Call me old school.

Hey, Old School.

The Bus
06-30-06, 06:21 AM
Let's see: Cost of navigation unit: $300-1000 (?)

Cost of map: $10

Cost of Mapquest printout or paper and pencil sketch: $0.10

Yeah, I don't see the benefits. I know within the next couple of years here in the states we will finally get traffic reporting in the units (something that's been in Germany at least for a decade). I've seen the Acura commercials for Zagat ratings, etc. Seems interesting, but not worth $2000.

Give me GPS, directions, AND real-time traffic, AND traffic prediction (like Inix's Dust Network that's going to be in BMWs)... and then maybe you have a sale. Maybe.

jonw9
06-30-06, 06:55 AM
I really think it's worth the extra for the built in. You'll get a bigger screen, and it won't look like a cheap add-on. Personally I can't stand any add ons, and having my sirius not intergrated (car only has xm. I hear there is a converter I will likely get) kills me. Plus with my pilot I can just speak and use it, although at times that's tricky. It is a nice feature.

My car has a factory sattelite ready radio made by poineer. Best buy sells a Sirious/Pioneer adapter for $100, but it only works with aftermarket units. Thus I need to buy the manufacturer integration set which runs anywhere from $250 online to $400 at the dealership!! -eek-

Looks like I am getting an add on :(

zuffy
06-30-06, 07:54 AM

That's great if you planned or know in advanced where you're going. What if you get lost by reading the direction wrong? You don't have a printout of how to get back on track. Or, the time you wanted to goto another place but you don't have access to a map or Mapquest. Can you bookmark a location on the fly and not worry about a printout on how to get back to the bookmark location? Or you're in middle of nowhere and you like to know where is the closest restaurant or even a shopping mall, how are you going to do that without internet access or access to a computer?

I remember back in 2000 when I bought my first GPS unit, I went to Yosemite National Park by myself. Startup my GPS unit and I was ready to go from the San Francisco airport to Yosemite. No need to ask or have a printout of how to get there. I don't need to constant read the printout to make sure I didn't miss a turn or exit. I can go anywhere, bookmark interesting locations and not worry about how I will get back to those locations or from anywhere back to my hotel. You can't define these conveniences with cost.

greg9x
06-30-06, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I don't see the benefits. I know within the next couple of years here in the states we will finally get traffic reporting in the units (something that's been in Germany at least for a decade).

My first experience with in car GPS was my rental in Germany... I could not have did all the stuff I did without it !! But it took a while for me to believe the traffic alerts.. they weren't always right so I was always hesitant to reroute, plus some of the reroutes in Germany would take you pretty far out of the way !

Th0r S1mpson
06-30-06, 08:09 AM
Like the cell phone, this is something we will all be dependent on within 10 years.

Bushdog
06-30-06, 10:24 AM
My first experience with in car GPS was my rental in Germany... I could not have did all the stuff I did without it !! But it took a while for me to believe the traffic alerts.. they weren't always right so I was always hesitant to reroute, plus some of the reroutes in Germany would take you pretty far out of the way !
My first serious experience had us up in the mountains (hills, by some people's standards) on a vacation. On the fly, my wife and I kept deciding places to go, and we did. Not very exciting, but it gave us a lot more freedom than we would have had otherwise.

jiggawhat
06-30-06, 12:42 PM
I have a 2004 TSX with NAV and let me tell you: IT'S WORTH IT!

It's worth it if you live in a big city if you don't then it's clearly not worth it.

You will use it more times than you will ever think. Sometimes if you're looking for an ATM it'll give you the closest ones. A lot of times it helps you get around traffic just by looking at the map. It has definitely paid for itself and then some.

Also Acura/Honda has the best model for Navigation: Touchscreen, Zagat Ratings, and a big screen, bigger than all the other models. All other NAV units pale in comparison.

It also doesn't have to cost exactly $2000. When I got it I had them lower the price of the car by $1000 and essentially I got it for $1000.

Buford T Pusser
06-30-06, 12:55 PM
I remember doing an SUV photo shoot in the Monument Valley area about six years ago and one of the guys was excited because he'd just gotten a GPS tracking system that was hooked up to his laptop computer. It worked fairly well and let us find some dirty back roads that were not on our maps.

Bushdog
06-30-06, 01:27 PM
That raises another point. I sometime use it to pull up a map and make my own decisions.

And of course then there is the point of interest database. Hotel, Gas, ATM, Food, etc... They also let you search for specific store names, in case you are out and looking for a place. I'm a fan of them, but then lots of people who post here already know that.

I've also seen a 125% return on my Garmin stock this past year, so I'm a huge fan. :D

GIjon213
06-30-06, 02:46 PM

Not arguing with my wife because someone was holding the map upside down: priceless

jonw9
06-30-06, 02:55 PM
What about Tomtom? Is that anygood? i am not really considering the system, but i see it advertised quite a bit.

fujishig
06-30-06, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I don't see the benefits. I know within the next couple of years here in the states we will finally get traffic reporting in the units (something that's been in Germany at least for a decade). I've seen the Acura commercials for Zagat ratings, etc. Seems interesting, but not worth $2000.

Give me GPS, directions, AND real-time traffic, AND traffic prediction (like Inix's Dust Network that's going to be in BMWs)... and then maybe you have a sale. Maybe.

This reminds me of people who swear that Tivos are worthless when you can just program a VCR. I know, it's not a direct comparison, but a GPS reminds me of Tivo in that
a) People who own them usually love them
b) People who don't own them don't see the point

The Bus
06-30-06, 07:40 PM
This reminds me of people who swear that Tivos are worthless when you can just program a VCR. I know, it's not a direct comparison, but a GPS reminds me of Tivo in that
a) People who own them usually love them
b) People who don't own them don't see the point

A Tivo is a VCR. But Tivos aren't hundreds of times the price of a VCR.

Bushdog
06-30-06, 08:31 PM
No, no a Tivo isn't simply a VCR, you just don't get it.

As for GPS, since pretty much all of the aftermarket units are sub 1000, they're not 100 (much less hundreds) of times more expensive than your $10 map.

Binger
06-30-06, 08:42 PM
I don't think I could have factory navigation. My dad has it in his Acura. The cost difference doesn't bother me a lot. What really bothers me is that he has to hit "ok" and agree to their terms of agreement every time the car is started. That would piss me off to no end.

My Escalade only asks you to agree every couple of weeks.

Cardiff Giant11
06-30-06, 09:24 PM
I think if you want navigation and you're buying a new car that has navigation available, it's worth it if for no other reason than your resale value will be higher. I'm of the school of thought have as many features as possible with it being as clean as possible so factory nav or an aftermarket nav indash is the way to go. It's funny though, I remember that Acura TL add where it shows the guy using XM Radio, his bluetooth car speaker, and his nav system. I now have 2 of the 3 in my Subaru in a pretty clean install (moto wireless bluetooth speaker on the visor and an Alpine in dash with integrated XM). Guess all I need now is an in dash GPS ;)

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-30-06, 10:46 PM
damn_it! thanks to this thread, i just bought a navi for the car that i haven't even bought yet!

http://72.232.196.98/~dpham00/gti/mods/mfd2.jpg

Bushdog
06-30-06, 11:15 PM
:lol:

What did you buy?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-30-06, 11:23 PM
it's the euro spec vw mfd2 cd navigation system.

http://72.232.196.98/~dpham00/gti/mods/mfd2b.jpg

criptik28
07-01-06, 12:44 PM
I have a 2004 Acura TSX. I didn't need the navigation, and don't usually use it, but it was a nice bonus when I bought my car used. This was a week after I moved to Atlanta, so it was helpful early on.

fujishig
07-05-06, 11:31 AM

Thank you for proving my point. By the way, a Thomas Guide for the Los Angeles/Orange County area costs about 30 bucks or so. I can't imagine how much it would be for the entire United States.

uli2000
07-05-06, 08:04 PM
Im not sure if the RSX has it, but the rL has the nav integrated with XM's traffic system. It will show traffic problems on screen and will rerout you.

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/index.jsp

big whoppa
07-06-06, 03:56 PM
I think if you want navigation and you're buying a new car that has navigation available, it's worth it if for no other reason than your resale value will be higher. I'm of the school of thought have as many features as possible with it being as clean as possible so factory nav or an aftermarket nav indash is the way to go. It's funny though, I remember that Acura TL add where it shows the guy using XM Radio, his bluetooth car speaker, and his nav system. I now have 2 of the 3 in my Subaru in a pretty clean install (moto wireless bluetooth speaker on the visor and an Alpine in dash with integrated XM). Guess all I need now is an in dash GPS ;)

Actually, having navigation doesn't add much to resale value. You don't get it for that reason.

zuffy
07-06-06, 04:08 PM
Im not sure if the RSX has it, but the rL has the nav integrated with XM's traffic system. It will show traffic problems on screen and will rerout you.

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/index.jsp

That's cool. I wonder if they can put that feature into my 2006 Accord with the new software? The navigation is already integrated with the radio already and has XM radio.

SmackDaddy
07-06-06, 04:27 PM
I had buyers remorse after spending $500 on my Delphi GPS unit (rebadged NavMan iCN30) a few years ago. That remorse didn't last long after it helped me find my way around a freeway closure (semi lost it's load of telephone poles) on my wasy to a NASCAR race in Fort Worth. I was driving down crazy 1 1/2 lane country roads that weren't on any maps we brough along (as a back up).

I just kept driving where it told me too, and we ended up 5 miles ahead of a massive traffic snarl. Used it again to avoid all traffic when driving between Daytona and Orlando during the Daytona 500.

This thing has saved me so many times from traffic jams and find places that I've never driven to before.