Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is San Diego considered Southern California?

Aphex Twin
06-28-06, 03:36 PM
After living in OC/LA for 20 years plus, I have always divided California into Northern California, Southern California, and San Diego. I've met some people who claim to live in So Cal, and when I ask them which part, they say SD! I find that pretty weird. Am I just nuts?

X
06-28-06, 03:37 PM
Yes.

El Scorcho
06-28-06, 03:37 PM
To answer such difficult questions, one first needs to think logically.

Is Los Angeles in Southern California?

"yes"

Is San Diego in California?

"yes"

Is San Diego south of Los Angeles?

"yes"

Ergo, San Diego is in Southern California.

Bronkster
06-28-06, 03:39 PM
There's Northern California, Southern California, and Southernest California (also known as Almost Mexico).

movie diva
06-28-06, 03:40 PM
Yes San Diego is part of SO CAL

wendersfan
06-28-06, 03:42 PM
OK, a more difficult question - where is the dividing line between NoCal and SoCal? I've always assumed it was just south of San Jose.

adamblast
06-28-06, 03:43 PM
No, San Diego was declared north of Los Angeles thru the state initiative process in 1978.

adamblast
06-28-06, 03:45 PM
OK, a more difficult question - where is the dividing line between NoCal and SoCal? I've always assumed it was just south of San Jose.Actually, everything north of LA by more than an hour or two tends to bitch and moan about who's in SoCal, Central Cal and NoCal.

My local 2-county area calls itself "the central coast"--and (surprise) so does another local area four hours further north.

movie diva
06-28-06, 03:45 PM
No, San Diego was declared north of Los Angeles thru the state initiative process in 1978.
Don't give them any ideas!

X
06-28-06, 03:46 PM
For the record, I only answered the "Am I just nuts?" question.

sherm42
06-28-06, 03:51 PM
I think the grapevine is a good dividing line where SoCal ends.

elperdido
06-28-06, 03:55 PM
-screwy-

HN
06-28-06, 03:56 PM
it's just California and hella California

McHawkson
06-28-06, 03:58 PM
I think the grapevine is a good dividing line where SoCal ends.

I thought it was Bakerfield...

Visalia is considered "halfway" between LA and SF - through they pick up SF local TV stations.

shizawn
06-28-06, 04:05 PM
I think if you're talking strictly NoCal/SoCal, then IMO everything south of Monterey is SoCal.

When you add Central California to the mix, I guess I would say everything south of Santa Cruz/Gilroy to the Grapevine would be Central California.

The Bus
06-28-06, 04:06 PM
I consider anything below Chula Vista southern California. Chula Vista is central California, and everything above it is northern California.

Hello, I'm the OP.

mrpayroll
06-28-06, 04:07 PM
Actually, everything north of LA by more than an hour or two tends to bitch and moan about who's in SoCal, Central Cal and NoCal.

My local 2-county area calls itself "the central coast"--and (surprise) so does another local area four hours further north.

Yeah, my mom lives in Pacific Grove (Monterey) and they call it "the central coast".

Chris

McHawkson
06-28-06, 04:09 PM
I think if you're talking strictly NoCal/SoCal, then IMO everything south of Monterey is SoCal.

We do not want farms!! (we'll keep cows for In-N-Out Burger).

mrpayroll
06-28-06, 04:10 PM
it's just California and hella California

It's actually

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d6/Dani_california.gif/200px-Dani_california.gif

Chris

slop101
06-28-06, 04:24 PM
OK, a more difficult question - where is the dividing line between NoCal and SoCal? I've always assumed it was just south of San Jose.
Fresno and everything below it is SoCal. And everything north of it is NoCal.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/images/usa/california.jpg

monkeyboy
06-28-06, 04:27 PM
I don't think people in Santa Barbera generally consider themselves in SoCal, but I could be wrong. I was always under the impression that everything south of SB is SoCal.

X
06-28-06, 04:27 PM
Fresno and everything below it is SoCal. And everything north of it is NoCal.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/images/usa/california.jpgI think that's pretty much it if you're only cutting it into N & S. Central is very often used and I think that helps in the distinction between areas.

slop101
06-28-06, 04:40 PM
You're right - in that case, Santa Barbara and below is south. Above SB and up to San Jose is Centeral, SJ and above is North.

X
06-28-06, 04:41 PM
I think down to about Santa Cruz is considered Northern, maybe even all the way to Monterey.

kitkat
06-28-06, 04:44 PM
I don't think people in Santa Barbera generally consider themselves in SoCal, but I could be wrong.

That seems to be the case, based on Santa Barbarans I've known. I grew up in the south bay, though, and we always considered SB to be the start of Southern California, but I could live with it being everything south of Fresno.

crazyronin
06-28-06, 04:48 PM
When I lived in CA, everything below Bakersfield was considered socal, everything between Sacramento and Bakersfield was considered central, and everything above Sacramento was northern. :shrug: But what do I know, I lived in French Camp at the time.

X
06-28-06, 04:52 PM
When I lived in CA, everything below Bakersfield was considered socal, everything between Sacramento and Bakersfield was considered central, and everything above Sacramento was northern. :shrug: But what do I know, I lived in French Camp at the time.It's different when you're referring to the inland valley. The lines don't go straight horizontally across the state from the coastal cities that are considered the boundaries.

ukywyldcat
06-28-06, 04:54 PM
I always thought grapevine south is SoCal. I'm confident that SoCal doesn't include <i>Fresno</i>. :yack:

General Zod
06-28-06, 04:57 PM
I consider everying south (including Mexico) of and including Monterey to be part of Southern California. The rest is Northern California.

Aphex Twin
06-28-06, 04:59 PM
When I lived in CA, everything below Bakersfield was considered socal, everything between Sacramento and Bakersfield was considered central, and everything above Sacramento was northern. :shrug: But what do I know, I lived in French Camp at the time.

You consider San Francisco central?

X, do you think I am more nuts than crazyronin?

BDB
06-28-06, 05:32 PM
Wiki says.

Northern California

Northern California, refers to the northern portion of the U.S. state of California.
Definitions of what areas constitute "Northern California" vary considerably. The term may refer to all of California north of the ten counties of Southern California, though some use the term to describe anything from San Luis Obispo County or the Transverse Ranges northward. Additionally, a distinction is sometimes made between Northern California (being north of Santa Cruz County) and Central California (stretching from Santa Cruz County to San Luis Obispo County), though many residents of rural far Northern California define their region as encompassing only those areas to the north of the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento metropolitan area. This definition becomes problematic for inland regions; the Central Valley is a distinct region in itself distinct from coastal California, though in Northern vs Central California divisions, the Sacramento Valley is placed in Northern California and the San Joaquin Valley is placed in Central California. Division of the Sierra Nevada and Eastern California regions into Northern, Central, and Southern California is even more problematic.

The region is highly diverse, but can be generally characterized by its beautiful coastline, redwood forests, Mediterranean to warm Temperate climate, and low population density (apart from the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento area, if those are being included). It is also a land of wine country, high mountains (the Sierra Nevada, the southern Cascade Range, and the Klamath Mountains), lakes, and windswept sagebrush steppe, in the northeast portion of the state.

Northern California's largest metropolitan area is the San Francisco Bay Area which includes the cities of San Francisco, San Jose and its Silicon Valley suburbs, and Oakland. The California state capital, Sacramento, is also in Northern California. Other cities in the region include Redding at the northern end of the Central Valley, and Eureka on the northern coast.

Southern California

Southern California, sometimes abbreviated SoCal or colloquially, the Southland, is an informal name for the megalopolis and nearby desert that occupies the southern-most quarter of the U.S. state of California. Centered on the cities of Los Angeles and San Diego, Southern California is home to nearly 24 million people, and is the nation's second most populated region, behind only the BosWash Region in the Eastern United States. There are no clear, exact boundaries for this area; instead, residents rely on physical features to establish the boundary. On the west is the Pacific Ocean; to the south is the international border between the United States and Mexico; to the east are the Mojave and Colorado Deserts and the Colorado River at the state's border with Arizona and Nevada. To the north is the Tehachapi Mountain range, located about 70 miles north of Los Angeles, which separates the region from rest of the state. However, the tremendous growth of Southern California has led to explosive growth in outlying regions, namely the Bakersfield, Las Vegas, and Phoenix areas, and many now consider even those extreme regions a part of the Southern California megalopolis.

mrpayroll
06-28-06, 05:49 PM
I think down to about Santa Cruz is considered Northern, maybe even all the way to Monterey.

As I said, they call themselves the central coast over there on the newscasts.

Chris

nodeerforamonth
06-28-06, 06:07 PM
I think San Diego is considered more an extension of Mexico than anything else.

They fly the Mexican flag at the "San Diego Fair"! They even sing the Mexican National Anthem at the Padres games!

HN
06-28-06, 06:20 PM
They even sing the Mexican National Anthem at the Padres games!
in English?

crazyronin
06-28-06, 06:24 PM
You consider San Francisco central?

X, do you think I am more nuts than crazyronin?

Divide the state into thirds, and tell me where it is...

SF folks are just northern California wannabes...;)

heimerSWT
06-28-06, 06:28 PM
This thread is a great example of how the residents of California will always find something to disagree, and the rest of the country just sits back and laughs 'cause no one else gives a shit. ;)

nodeerforamonth
06-28-06, 06:32 PM
This thread is a great example of how the residents of California will always find something to disagree, and the rest of the country just sits back and laughs 'cause no one else gives a shit. ;)

Well, having lived half my life on the East Coast, I certainly know that that is 100% true!

grrrah
06-28-06, 06:42 PM

Chris
tCentral Coast and Central California are not the same thing. It was only recently they were still in the 408 area code. Central Coast goes up to San Francisco by many. The dividing line between metropolitan areas between monterey and the rest of norcal isn't as defined as it is south of monterey co.

They are more norcal with santacruz and half moon bay than they are central CA with pismo, slo, etc, where the geographic boundry is more obviously defined. In san jose and san mateo county high schools still compete in the "Central Coast Section". They are just trying to be hippies and want to be unique. Monterey county in general is still northern california. Monterey wants to separate from Salinas as well, but too bad they are stuck together.

If there is only a southern and northern, then the boundry is Pismo beach. San Luis Obispo is more Norcal than So cal. (IMO)

and as BDB pointed out, vegas and phoenix are part of CA also!

movie diva
06-28-06, 06:42 PM
Like Jerry Dunphy use to say on the news
"From the desert to the sea to all of Southern California...a good evening"

grrrah
06-28-06, 06:44 PM

nah the difference is people from other states ARE interested and read into CA threads and try to threadcrap, where as people from CA dont even read threads about other states. we are too busy enjoying the perfect weather, beaches, etc. you know you can still snowboard here, and its 90 degrees out!

adamblast
06-28-06, 06:45 PM

ChrisAs they also do in Santa Barbara, of course. :)

heimerSWT
06-28-06, 06:50 PM
nah the difference is people from other states ARE interested and read into CA threads and try to threadcrap, where as people from CA dont even read threads about other states. we are too busy enjoying the perfect weather, beaches, etc. you know you can still snowboard here, and its 90 degrees out!
You missed my point.

I love California, and would have no objections to living there. North, south, or somewhere in the middle.

It would be the issues and mindset of a lot of the current residents that I would have a problem with. :)

grrrah
06-28-06, 06:54 PM
You missed my point.

I love California, and would have no objections to living there. North, south, or somewhere in the middle.

It would be the issues and mindset of a lot of the current residents that I would have a problem with. :)
ah got ya..

that is true.. so cal sucks, and monterey is beautiful.. thats why we fight to keep it up here..

mrpayroll
06-28-06, 07:09 PM
Monterey wants to separate from Salinas as well, but too bad they are stuck together.

Have you been to Salinas? Then you would know why! ;)

Chris

Jason
06-28-06, 07:13 PM
I think San Diego is considered more an extension of Mexico than anything else.

They fly the Mexican flag at the "San Diego Fair"! They even sing the Mexican National Anthem at the Padres games!

My friend in SD says that they are situated inbetween two foreign countries: Mexico and Los Angeles.

grrrah
06-28-06, 07:52 PM
Have you been to Salinas? Then you would know why! ;)

Chris
yes, was there 3 days ago. my friends from salinas always say they are from monterey county. :lol:

mllefoo
06-28-06, 09:06 PM

It's at Modesto, give or take a mile or two.

Once you go over the Grapevine going south, you are in SoCal.

TomOpus
06-28-06, 09:09 PM
They even sing the Mexican National Anthem at the Padres games!When was this? I've been to a few games this year and never heard it.

Jack Straw
06-28-06, 09:28 PM
Northern Mexico

slop101
06-28-06, 11:42 PM
You missed my point.

I agree.

If it wasn't for my all my close friends and family (which all live here in SoCal), I'd move away from here in a second, as I also have issues with the type of California residents you're describing. But to be fair, it is a generalization that, while true, doesn't speak to many people here, as in the case of my close friends and family - and if you're not wired like those people, you can find "good" people among the rabble - though it can be tough...

Giantrobo
06-29-06, 07:05 AM
Northern Mexico

or Aztlán

The Bus
06-29-06, 08:16 AM
So is Miami in South Florida?

My friend who lives in Key Biscayne says no.

NatrlBornThrllr
06-29-06, 08:25 AM
I'd say the north to south breakdown goes as follows:

NoCal
Central California
SoCal
NoMex
Fuckin' Tijuana, woo!
Mexico

Therefore, San Diego is considered a part of Northern Mexico.

-JP

grrrah
06-29-06, 11:31 AM
I agree.

If it wasn't for my all my close friends and family (which all live here in SoCal), I'd move away from here in a second, as I also have issues with the type of California residents you're describing. But to be fair, it is a generalization that, while true, doesn't speak to many people here, as in the case of my close friends and family - and if you're not wired like those people, you can find "good" people among the rabble - though it can be tough...
you just gotta leave OC. thats why I left :p

nodeerforamonth
06-29-06, 01:20 PM
When was this? I've been to a few games this year and never heard it.

I only went to one game this year. Can't remember the date. They sang it and did all the announcing in Spanish too!

Maybe it was Mexico Day or something?

mrpayroll
06-29-06, 01:24 PM
I only went to one game this year. Can't remember the date. They sang it and did all the announcing in Spanish too!

Maybe it was Mexico Day or something?

Cinco de Mayo? ;)

Chris

BDB
06-29-06, 02:06 PM
Good thread this!

TomOpus
06-29-06, 06:25 PM

Maybe it was Mexico Day or something?Interesting.

When Hoffman came out in the 9th did they play "Hells Bells" or did they switch to "Tequila"?

:D

kitkat
06-29-06, 06:52 PM

I can't imagine giving a shit about what someone in another part of the country thinks of this thread. ;)