Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

One and Only Harry Potter final book speculation / discussion / news thread [merged]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

One and Only Harry Potter final book speculation / discussion / news thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2 characters die in final Potter book

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/...potter_plot_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - Children's author J.K. Rowling has revealed that at least two characters will die in the seventh and final installment of her bestselling Harry Potter series, but was careful not to say who.

Children and adults are expected to rush and buy the final Harry Potter novel in their tens of millions when it is complete, and if the publication of the sixth book is anything to go by, secrecy surrounding the plot will be tight.

Rowling has already said that the final chapter of the seventh book was written long ago.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly," she said in an interview broadcast on Monday on Britain's Channel 4. "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

When asked to be more specific, she added: "No, I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't want the hate mail or anything else."

She did explain that she understood an author's desire to kill off the main character of a successful series.

"I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of book seven, because I always planned seven books and that's where I want to go.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks 'Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels ... so it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Rowling, 40, wrote the first Harry Potter adventure when she was an unemployed single mother, but has gone on to become one of the richest authors in history with a personal fortune estimated at more than $1 billion.

The Harry Potter series has sold an estimated 300 million copies worldwide.
Old 06-26-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I really dig the HP books...this is the third time she's come out and told us people die in the next book. Why not change it and make it unexpected...like Ginny's pregnant with Harry's lovechild.
Old 06-26-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know it's not a spoiler exactly, but I hate when creators come out and say stuff like this (happens in comics all the time). People are already going to buy this book, so she doesn't really need to sell it and can afford to be vague as possible. We all know some people are going to die, but even still when you have a number you can't help but look for it. The talk of "a major player will die" with the last book took a lot away from that death for me.
Old 06-26-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll read it anyway, but I wish she'd just shut up about events in the book. I'd much rather have it all be new when I read it.
Old 06-27-06, 08:09 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The CNN article had a better quote about the two deaths, although it kind of gives you a clue to start pondering who they might be.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," she said. "A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras do they? They go for the main characters. Well, I do."
Also this,

Author J.K. Rowling said two characters will die in the last installment of her boy wizard series, and she hinted Harry Potter might not survive either.
I didn't spoiler either quotes because I think it is pretty obvious from the thread title that things might be given away. Plus, there isn't any actual hard evidence that would warrent a spoiler. I think people have speculated from the beginning, or at least since the last couple of books that Harry might not live past book 7.
Old 06-27-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I agree she shouldnt say, but then again she is always a little bit underhanded with what she gives away...Sure 2 people could die, but it could be during a flash forward sequence at the end to show were people are 30 years later. And who we think of as main characters, she could see differently, but we will see I guess.

I mean I think its pretty obvious there will be some deaths, I just wish we could see for ourselves and have it be a little bit more mysterious.
Old 06-27-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This being the final book and with evil in the air (and the ending of the last book), this story is almost destined to have at least one of the main kids die.
Old 06-27-06, 11:46 AM

I'm not sure this is much of a scoop. Anyone who has read the past few novels can probably figure out that at least one character would die in the final one.

Any guesses as to who the dead ones will be? I'd guess Snape, Voldemort (this one is pretty obvious), and Ron will die, but not Harry.
Old 06-27-06, 12:42 PM

Not that I'm surprised by these events, but isn't the thread name a spoiler? There must be some people out there that actually care enough about the series to want to avoid any sort of major spoilers.
Old 06-27-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just wish she'd quit talking about it and just finish writing the damn thing.
Old 06-27-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so, is the next book slated for 07/07/07? or is that just a rumor?
Old 06-27-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a rumor as nothing official has been announced. But it does seem a perfectly attainable goal.
Old 06-27-06, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ms. M
Any guesses as to who the dead ones will be? I'd guess Snape, Voldemort (this one is pretty obvious), and Ron will die, but not Harry.

I don't think Snape will die. He seems to be playing both sides, so he will be able to weasel himself out of any predicament.

I wouldn't be surprised if Draco is killed. Voldemort will probably kill him for wussing out on killing Dumbledore.

I agree that it is pretty obvious Voldemort will die, but I don't think he is one of the two that JK Rowling is hinting about.

I am pretty sure either Ron or Hermione will die. I can't see them them going off to lively happily ever after. Hopefully, Ron will die. He is a stupid douche that doesn't deserve Hermione.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 06-27-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about Neville? Wasn't he billed as the "almost Harry"? Or am I imagining that?
Old 06-27-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my head, Harry will be the final Horcrux and must be destroyed to even allow Voldemort to be killed. Then Neville will step up and fulfill the prophecy that Voldemort assumed meant Harry in the first place.

Something like that. Satisfactory to me.
Old 06-27-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going w/ Ron getting killed. Remember in the first book when they were playing that life sized chess game? Ron sacrificed himself to get Harry in a position to win.

That would be some pretty good foreshadowing...
Old 06-27-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Yeah, good call Jay.

As for me, I want three things for the last book: first
Spoiler:
it needs to start about 30 seconds after book six where Ron punches Harry for dumping Ginny, and Harry realizes she's in danger no matter what so he may as well get some while the gettin's good
. Second, I want blood, blood, blood, blood, and more blood (looks like that's on track). And lastly, I want to have to use a forklift to get the sucker home, I'm talking index, appendices, glossary, etc, a real backbreaker.
Old 06-27-06, 08:42 PM

other than any of the kids or voldemort dying, my guess would be for lupin and pettigrew to die so that all 4 of the original mauraders will be dead.
Old 06-28-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, could Voldemort's snake, Nagini, be the same snake Harry freed from the zoo in book 1?? If so, maybe that will have some effect in book 7...
Old 06-28-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I think the 'big three' will survive - even though I wouldn't mind Ron biting it.

There are a lot of main characters now - so she could mean things like "Snape got a reprieve, but now Neville and Draco die".

She's a lot closer to ALL The characters, so a main character for her is not necessarily Harry/Hermione/Ron.

I still think that Harry/Ginny and Hermione/Ron get to ride off into a cloud-cast sunset together - all unhappy about what happened, but they're still around.

Just my thoughts.
Old 06-28-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I also think MORE than two characters will die (like Lupin and Pettirgrew and of course Voldemort), but I also think that her 'two main characters comment' is about the

Snape/Neville/Draco/Mr. or Mrs. Weasley/Fred or George/Hagrid group.
Old 06-28-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek
Also, could Voldemort's snake, Nagini, be the same snake Harry freed from the zoo in book 1?? If so, maybe that will have some effect in book 7...
i HIGHLY doubt it..if you remember the snake was all happy because he was going home to Brazil...
Old 06-28-06, 11:24 PM
Banned

It would be pretty sweet if the Dursleys died. Maybe Voldemort could find a way around the protection charm surrounding their house.
Old 06-29-06, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
In my head, Harry will be the final Horcrux and must be destroyed to even allow Voldemort to be killed. Then Neville will step up and fulfill the prophecy that Voldemort assumed meant Harry in the first place.

Something like that. Satisfactory to me.
This is a theory I've held close since finishing the last book. When I first started tossing it around my friends, they were all like "No way!" Since this whole fiasco has hit the internets, though, I've seen a lot of my brethren. I love it!
Old 06-29-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
It would be pretty sweet if the Dursleys died. Maybe Voldemort could find a way around the protection charm surrounding their house.
Doesn't that protection charm come off once Harry turns 17? I predict once that charm goes right away in this next book, maybe the Dursley home will get attacked?! It'd be a crazy way to start off the story. Remember Hermoine and Ron were going to stay with him for the summer...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.