Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part IV: "I Finally Caved In" Edition

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part IV: "I Finally Caved In" Edition

Old 06-27-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ooooohhhh, Pixy!

http://gonintendo.com/?p=3341

This is what I was talking about being required before I considered a DS Lite upgrade.
Old 06-27-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Actually I think that is a good move, much to hardcore gamers chagrin. They want to appeal to more than that core group and something this simple could help. Look how well those pink Rzrs have gone over.

*edit - Just read some of the infantile posts over there.
Old 06-27-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
*edit - Just read some of the infantile posts over there.
Classy bunch, ain't they?
Old 06-27-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
A Trauma Center reprint is coming, for those of you that want it but don't have it. http://atlus.com/cgi-bin/press?press_release_id=18

Originally Posted by Atlus
ATLUS U.S.A., INC. ANNOUNCES THE RETURN
OF TRAUMA CENTER™: UNDER THE KNIFE
TO RETAIL OUTLETS NATIONWIDE

The Critically Acclaimed Title
is Re-Released by Popular Demand

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — June 21, 2006 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of interactive entertainment, today announced today announced that Trauma Center: Under the Knife, a medical drama simulation for the Nintendo DS™, will once again be available at retail outlets nationwide at the end of July.

"The continued demand for Trauma Center: Under the Knife is both gratifying and overwhelming," said Jim Ireton, VP of Sales and Marketing for Atlus U.S.A., Inc. "We apologize to Nintendo fans who've had a tough time finding the game, and we hope this scratches their surgical itch until we ship Trauma Center™: Second Opinion for the Wii™ later this year."

Developed in Japan by Atlus, Trauma Center: Under the Knife has been hailed as one of the best games for the Nintendo DS since its release in October 2005. A sampling of critical acclaim:

"Trauma Center features arguably the most compelling use of the touch screen yet...It's such a perfect illustration of the 'DS difference' that it belongs in every DS owner's library." — Modojo

"You'll likely never see a better utilization of the DS touch screen, nor will you play a pseudo-sim this engaging." — GameSpy

"If you're looking for a truly unique game on the Nintendo DS that is not only fun, but also exhilarating to play, be sure to pick up Trauma Center." — Gaming Age

"...one of the most creative and entertaining experiences the DS has offered." — GotNext

Trauma Center: Under the Knife is rated T by the ESRB for Blood, Mild Language, Mild Violence, and Partial Nudity.
Old 06-27-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wanting to get a DS, but decided to wait until the Lite came out before I plunked down my money. My son ended up getting one from the grandparents for his birthday.

My god... the thing rocks. Seriously, I'm shocked at how much fun certain games are to play. My entire family has been fighting to get their hands on it for some quality time. I'm planning to buy another one soon.

I thought Nintendo had lost its mind when they announced the DS, but I guess they knew what they were doing.
Old 06-27-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by madcougar
I thought Nintendo had lost its mind when they announced the DS, but I guess they knew what they were doing.
So did I and many others. Many dismissed it as a gimmick when first announced and boy were we dead wrong. It took 6 months or so for the system to really begin to hit a stride, but once it did it has been unstoppable.
Old 06-27-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just completed the first big castle (not Bowser Jr.) on NSMB, its been so long since I actually played a 2-d mario that some of the game (like World 1-5 with the bouncy platforms) is REALLY, really annoying - even when it seems easy at first. Though I havent really been striving for star coins etc (I have 11).
The first Bowser fight, when Baby Bowser goes away and Adult Bowser comes, with the updated effects is great!
Old 06-27-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
So did I and many others. Many dismissed it as a gimmick when first announced and boy were we dead wrong. It took 6 months or so for the system to really begin to hit a stride, but once it did it has been unstoppable.
Here is the thread about the announcement, if anyone is interested. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....2&page=1&pp=40

To be fair, I think even Nintendo was skeptical. They kept mentioning how the DS was not the GBA successor, which I would guess was partly because they wanted to be able to release a traditional hand-held system soon after if the DS had bombed. With the success of the DS, I think that can be delayed for years.
Old 06-27-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Here is the thread about the announcement, if anyone is interested. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....2&page=1&pp=40
that thread is hilarious (admittedly, despite not posting, my thoughts were similar at the time)
Old 06-27-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Wow...that is a harsh read. Should it be bumped just to embarass some people?
Old 06-27-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just glad I didn't post in that thread...I was honestly pretty shruggish about it at the time.
Old 06-27-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Shocked I never posted in that thread, but I assure you I was very skeptical. I bought a DS at launch and ended up selling it within a month after being let down by the software, especially Super Mario 64 DS. However, I bought one again a few months later when better titles hit the market and really have never looked back. Best piece of hardware I own right now.
Old 06-27-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

lol ! That thread is hilarious. We really had no idea what it was going to be like did we? Some people were really negative about it without knowing much about it. Back then I had no idea the DS was going to be in the running as my favorite gaming system of all time. Nintendo really was ahead of its time and really innovated with the Dual Screen and touch screen use, the DS Lite is an awesome machine.

Looks like I did get one thing right though, Nintendo stayed true to 2D gamers with some of the most kick ass 2D games yet .
Old 06-27-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In our defense, when that thread was first started, there was no mention of the touch screen, microphone, or the wireless connectivity. All we heard about were the dual screens. It wasn't until a few weeks later until the first posts start mentioning rumors about the other features.

Of course, even if he had heard about everything else, there still would have been rampant skepticism, just not quite as much.
Old 06-27-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
In our defense, when that thread was first started, there was no mention of the touch screen, microphone, or the wireless connectivity. All we heard about were the dual screens. It wasn't until a few weeks later until the first posts start mentioning rumors about the other features.

Of course, even if he had heard about everything else, there still would have been rampant skepticism, just not quite as much.
Yeah, and we still didn't know what it would cost. Skimming over the thread, the only posts I saw referring to cost just mentioned that it would likely be cheaper than the "$300-400" PSP, and that it would cost an estimated $130 to make. There have been some quality and innovative games, no doubt, but I feel that the more reasonable price of the DS and its games has been a major factor in its success.

Now, I'm laughing at my crazy idea back then about having two applications running at the same time, allowing you to check email or something while playing a game. I still want that Punch-Out game though.
Old 06-27-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is the most shocking quote....
It sounds like a good idea to me. Think about, while playing a racing game, having one screen be the front view and the other being the back view (like a rear view mirror). Or it could even be a top shot of the track. Many possibilities.
by JOSHD2012....steadfast in his support of Nintendo, amidst all the skeptics

Last edited by msdmoney; 06-27-06 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 10:29 PM

I love my DS so glad I traded in the PSP for a DS. I even rewarded nintendo by buying a gamecube.
Old 06-28-06, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I still want that Punch-Out game though.
Co-signed.
Old 06-28-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the confirmation of the Pink DS Lite coming out in Japan on 7/20 if anyone cares. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/index.html
Old 06-28-06, 12:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like Phoenix Wright is in stock on the Capcom site.

http://www.capcom.com/xpml/game.xpml?gameid=800038
Old 06-28-06, 01:27 PM

What are the most wanted games for DS owners.

I know that I would love to have Mario Baseball, tennis, and golf. Please Nintendo make these games.
Old 06-28-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Zelda: tPH is number one on the list but since that is already a reality, I want a touch screen Lemmings. #1 on my wish list.

And since the DS & GBA are great homes for puzzle games, I'd like a bargain title Collapse.

Maybe a Kid Icarus. They could have a double whammy, a Wii version along with a DS version. Couple those with Pit's appearance in SmashBros.: Brawl and you have more than enough Icarus action to satisfy all those clamoring for a sequel the past 20 years.
Old 06-28-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Zelda and Castlevania.

Those aside, I'd love to see a DS version of Blast Corps. But since Rare is gone.....

Always thought Lemmings would work great on the system as well.
Old 06-28-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Zelda, Twilight Princess style rather then Wind Waker style.
Old 06-28-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
Zelda and Castlevania.

Those aside, I'd love to see a DS version of Blast Corps. But since Rare is gone.....
I thought they were still open for handheld releases since they don't compete with anything MS has to offer. Just more or less money in the bank.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.