DVD Talk
The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part IV: "I Finally Caved In" Edition [Archive] - Page 3 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part IV: "I Finally Caved In" Edition

Pages : 1 2 [3]

jdpatri
09-14-06, 12:22 AM
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477108

Is this link here to show me that there's no information here either? If so, thanks.

slop101
09-14-06, 11:33 AM
I held off on the DS-light, as I hated the white color and I just knew they'd have a black one soon. So I got one yesterday - it's pretty sweet, thought it's what the DS should've been right off the bat. The only negative about it is that it's a massive finger-print magnet. The slick, shiny outter coating looks cool and all, but not after it's been handled for a few minutes.

They should've just went with the matte-black finish that the inside and edges have.

PixyJunket
09-14-06, 11:59 AM
I held off on the DS-light, as I hated the white color and I just knew they'd have a black one soon. So I got one yesterday - it's pretty sweet, thought it's what the DS should've been right off the bat. The only negative about it is that it's a massive finger-print magnet. The slick, shiny outter coating looks cool and all, but not after it's been handled for a few minutes.That's exactly why I'm QUITE happy with the white one.

Josh H
09-14-06, 12:24 PM
I've said that several times in these threads.

I don't see why so many people wanted black or other dark colors when it would just show fingerprints terribly and look like shit as soon as you touch it just like the PSP. :shrug:

slop101
09-14-06, 01:25 PM
But the way I see it is:

Black even w/ smeary finger prints > White.

PixyJunket
09-14-06, 01:33 PM
I would've taken puke green in matte over any of the glossy colors to be honest.

darkside
09-14-06, 01:40 PM
I've said that several times in these threads.

I don't see why so many people wanted black or other dark colors when it would just show fingerprints terribly and look like shit as soon as you touch it just like the PSP. :shrug:
I'm definitely happy with white. My PSP always looked awful with the prints everywhere. I don't notice them on the DS.

Josh H
09-14-06, 01:50 PM
But the way I see it is:

Black even w/ smeary finger prints > White.

Fair enough. I actually think I prefer the white, fingerprint issue aside, after seeing them both.

pinata242
09-14-06, 01:51 PM
How are the pink models with regard to fingerprints? I'd love to get a DS Lite and the pink is the most likely candidate in my house.

darkside
09-14-06, 02:06 PM
How are the pink models with regard to fingerprints? I'd love to get a DS Lite and the pink is the most likely candidate in my house.
Seems about the same as the white. It definitely looks much better than darker colors in regards to the prints showing up.

UncleGramps
09-14-06, 02:29 PM
Picked up Cooking Mama at Toys R Us this morning on the way to work. It's surprisingly addictive. I'll definitely play through until I've unlocked and prepared every recipe. Very simple gameplay but it uses the touch screen really well. I think my favorite so far is breaking eggs, as you have to use just the right stylus speed. Too slow and nothing happens - too fast and the egg just explodes on contact. :lol: The presentation is very polished and it's got a quirky (and very Japanese) feel.

pinata242
09-14-06, 02:33 PM
Well, since the Wii is coming out after my $65 in RZ coupons expire, I think I'll try to pick up Cooking Mama and LSW2 next week when I go in for the BSG2.5 dvd.

Josh H
09-14-06, 04:24 PM
DQH: Rocket Slime is EGM's game of the month in the new issue.

killershark
09-14-06, 04:31 PM
When you first get the DS lite, can you play it out of the box, or should you charge it first? Does playing it right away hurt the battery life?

PixyJunket
09-14-06, 04:35 PM
When you first get the DS lite, can you play it out of the box, or should you charge it first? Does playing it right away hurt the battery life?You can play it out of the box (how long is anyone's guess). It will not hurt it.

killershark
09-14-06, 04:37 PM
Thanks! I might pick one up tonight.

SeekOnce
09-14-06, 09:15 PM
Bleh, the black DS Lite is still only preorder at Bestbuy? And the instore pickup for Circuit City indicates none are in stock for any of their stores in a 20 mile area. Buy.com also shows only preorders too.

Weren't the pink and black released this past Wednesday? Is EB Games my only option right now?

EDIT: Scratch that. Just got back from BB and they had a couple of pinks and blacks in stock. :)

darkside
09-14-06, 10:10 PM
DQH: Rocket Slime is EGM's game of the month in the new issue.
Looking forward to this one. Cooking Mama does seem like a really fun budget title. Granted I've got to play very little as my wife is not giving it up right now.

Drexl
09-14-06, 11:13 PM
my wife is not giving it up right now.

That's too bad, man. :)

PixyJunket
09-15-06, 11:07 AM
Heroes of Mana, real time strategy game! YES YES YES!!

Now if only EA will put out Red Alert on the DS. :)

http://jeux-france.com/images0_4_17404.html
http://jeux-france.com/images1_4_17404.html

PixyJunket
09-15-06, 12:28 PM
Mega Man Zero 5.. er, Mega Man ZX is $24.99 at Fry's.

Pokémon Dungeon (!!!) will be $22.99 (!!!!!) when it comes out next week at Fry's!

LorenzoL
09-15-06, 12:58 PM
Heroes of Mana, real time strategy game! YES YES YES!!

http://jeux-france.com/images0_4_17404.html
http://jeux-france.com/images1_4_17404.html

If you weren't aware, here is a link for Square-Enix Japanese teaser site called "World of Mana" which includes a link to the "Heroes" teaser site.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mana/

PixyJunket
09-15-06, 01:00 PM
Cooking Mama makes me happy. :)

CreatureX
09-15-06, 09:35 PM
DS download stations now feature demos for 'Mario vs. DK 2', 'Clubhouse Games' and 'Elite Beat Agents'. :)

pinata242
09-15-06, 09:40 PM
DS download stations now feature demos for 'Mario vs. DK 2', 'Clubhouse Games' and 'Elite Beat Agents'. :)
Time to make sure both my DSes are charged when I hit Gamestop this week!

Question... I can't get a demo in memory AND expect to play Rocket Slime, can I?

Michael Corvin
09-15-06, 09:49 PM

Which stations have that? Nintendo has two different setups depending on the store. Where did you see it?

PalmerJoss
09-15-06, 10:07 PM
This was a big week for DS games. I picked up Cooking Mama, Mario Hoops, and Harvest Moon.

I'm not really liking Harvest Moon as it seems to be just a port of the first Harvest Moon GBA title, Friends Of Mineral Town. The only difference seems to be some extra minigames that utilize the touchscreen. Worth it if you didn't play any of the GBA Harvest Moon titles, but if you have then stick with those instead.

Mario Hoops is pretty good once you get used to the control scheme. The best part about the game is that if you don't like the touchscreen control you can use the d-pad and face buttons to control the game. Gameplay wise it's solid. Adjustable AI makes for a pretty even game depending on your skill level, the graphics and sound are top-notch, just as I'd expect from the people over at SquareEnix.

Finally, Cooking Mama. A budget title that you really can't go wrong with if you liked WarioWare. It's like a ton of minigames all packed into one game, all revolving around cooking. Some of the recipes are pretty easy to make and each one seems to have some sort of variation to mix it up a bit. In total there are 76 different dishes you can make and each one is pretty unique in the way you make it. Some very innovative use of the touchscreen and of the microphone, which I am really loving. My wife is loving it even more than me, however. I've gotten to play the game twice and since then she's been playing it in her DS and won't let me near it.

Next week looks to be another busy week with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Dragon Quest.

Decker
09-17-06, 12:53 AM
Well just picked up MP : Hunters as part of that BB promo. Played for about an hour. VERY impressive game, especially considering the hardware used. Still DAMN does my wrist hurt. When I first tried the demo, I was afraid it was going to be tough, especially for lefties like me. The weird thing is that it's so nice and easy to aim, yet murder on the hands. My other big issue is saving. I still haven't reached my first save point yet. Portable games should be save anywhere. Period. This is very annoying if I'm going to have to play much longer with sore wrists just to avoid having to redo everything.

Josh H
09-17-06, 01:05 AM
I had the same experience with Metroid.

Killed my wrist/hands, and the save system sucks. Their are NO save points. You have to get back to the ship. You do find some warp point to send you back to the ship, but even those are few and far between.

Factor in the recycled bossess and backtracking, and it's pretty much worthless in single player IMO.

Deadpool
09-17-06, 02:45 AM
My son took some of his birthday money today, traded in his scratched to hell DS for a black DS Lite. He's loving it...now he can stay off of my white one :D

grim_tales
09-18-06, 04:41 AM
I just completed the 2nd mini castle on World 6 on NSMB :D
The way Bowser Jr. dies sort of reminds of Iggy in World 1 of Super Mario World.

I have a problem though, even after a short play time I fet horrible pins and needles in my hands and I have to stop :(

PixyJunket
09-18-06, 10:40 AM
We played some Star Fox dogfights last night.. seemed pretty fun. Good touch screen controls.

Two friends of mine have Mario Hoops, so I'll get to try it to see if it's worth picking up.

This week is two MUST BUYS for me: Pokémon Dungeon and Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime

killershark
09-18-06, 03:02 PM
Has anyone played XX/XY Feel the magic? I saw it at best buy recently for 10$ and was wondering if it was worth trying. Are there many mini games in it or is it pretty repetitive?

grim_tales
09-18-06, 03:56 PM
I've played it (AKA Project Rub). Quite funny, but it gets repetive (IMO) and you need to be self conscious as you're yelling into the mic. But for £5/$10 its' worth a pop I'm sure.

PixyJunket
09-18-06, 03:58 PM
It's worth $10 if you like mini-game games.

Josh H
09-18-06, 05:22 PM
Probably worth the $10, but it does get old fast IMO. I much prefer Warioware Touched (or one of the GBA wariowares) for a quick, quirky, pick up and play game.

jeffdsmith
09-18-06, 08:06 PM
Cooking Mama selling like hotcakes (http://gonintendo.com/?p=5742)

So I went to a game store, a game store that apparently got two copies and sold out. The next one said they barely had enough to cover preorders. The third one had a copy, but an employee had checked it out. That’s right, a rare game hit, an employee was trying it so it wasn’t available for sale. Somehow I don’t think that copy will be sold as being used, either

cooking mama ds

It seems that Majesco made a very smart move picking up Cooking Mama for publishing in the US. A few weeks back I went to Gamestop to reserve myself a copy, but found out that I wasn’t allowed to. Apparently there is some deal that doesn’t allow $19.99 games to be reserved…who knew!? Since the good people at my local Gamestop care about me so much, they made sure to hide away a copy until I could make it in.

Just in wandering around various video game retailers, I have only seen one copy available, and that was at Target. I don’t doubt that it has been sold since I last saw it. The game is worth every penny, if not more. I have had a hell of a time playing it, seeing that every staffer around me is stealing it to get their fix.

Anyone else manage to snag a copy? I would be interested to hear how hard it was for you to find, and how much you are enjoying it.

I bought this game today, and thus far am enjoying it very much, well worth the $20. Some of you know I had been looking forward to it for some time. I will echo the above statements, that if you like WarioWare you will like this game. Anyone else get in on the fun?

Michael Corvin
09-18-06, 10:07 PM
I saw a dozen copies at my best buy about an hour ago. Not hotcakes here.

jeffdsmith
09-19-06, 12:03 AM
Warm hotdogs maybe?

Supermallet
09-19-06, 02:20 AM
Cooking Mama selling like hotcakes (http://gonintendo.com/?p=5742)

I bought this game today, and thus far am enjoying it very much, well worth the $20. Some of you know I had been looking forward to it for some time. I will echo the above statements, that if you like WarioWare you will like this game. Anyone else get in on the fun?

I tried it at work and liked it for about 10 minutes. Couldn't imagine playing it long term.

However, if this is any indication, Elite Beat Agents will be one of THE must have items when it comes out.

Our strategy guides for Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime came in today, and it looked so good that I pre-ordered it.

darkside
09-19-06, 07:09 AM
Cooking Mama is pretty good. I think it shipped in limited quanities which is probably why it sold out so quickly. Majesco probably played it safe with the early shipments.

Its really a perfect budget title though. One of the better $20 games out there on the DS.

dealer
09-19-06, 09:01 AM
Friend's GF was looking for Cooking Mama after we saw it at Best Buy earlier in the day this past weekend. EB games hadn't gotten their copies in yet and said they expected them sometime this week (wtf), Target didn't have any, so we ended up going back to Best Buy where they had at least 10. Dunno how well it's sold since then. They were just putting them out and this was last Friday.

PixyJunket
09-19-06, 09:10 AM
Strange, when I went to Gamestop last Wednesday they were sold out and directed me to another store that had a copy; when I got there (five minutes) there was someone else buying a copy and I grabbed the last one. Then, I went to Best Buy on the weekend to pick up Lego Star Wars and they had about a dozen (I could have used a coupon!).

Personally, I LOVE the game. I love the graphics and the look of the game.. but I'm also really interested in cooking and culinary arts so the game works quite well in my favor. I don't think it's quite as much a "game" as other mini-game collections on the DS but it's fun and should help further the DS as system with a lot more than just the early-teen-male audience.

pinata242
09-19-06, 09:35 AM
Then, I went to Best Buy on the weekend to pick up Lego Star Wars and they had about a dozen (I could have used a coupon!).
Heading to BB myself in an hour or so and thought I remember hearing from Corvin that the GGCs have returned? Is this true? I'm going to try to get Cooking Mama and LSW2 and would love to save $5-$10.

PixyJunket
09-19-06, 09:54 AM
Heading to BB myself in an hour or so and thought I remember hearing from Corvin that the GGCs have returned? Is this true? I'm going to try to get Cooking Mama and LSW2 and would love to save $5-$10.I never knew they went away. The ones I had expired in mid 2007 (instead of end of the year like the previous ones), but I bought them a few months ago. The one I used for Lego Star Wars was my last and I was planning on restocking due to the massive onslaught of DS games in the coming months.. every $5 is going to help. Let us know if you find them at your store.

pinata242
09-19-06, 10:03 AM
The only ones I've ever seen expired 12/31/2005. Of course, I haven't been in for a while, maybe they've got some new ones. Still $19.99 and up?

Michael Corvin
09-19-06, 10:13 AM
Yes. They are blue. After that batch of $5 off $29.99 these are back to $5 off $19.99. I've never had a problem finding them. Exp. mid '07 like Pixy said.

pinata242
09-19-06, 10:14 AM
Excellent. Thanks guys!

Anubis2005X
09-19-06, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm interested in trading in my DS to upgrade to the Lite, but I just can't decide what color to get!

My first choice was black, cause I think it looks nice and my iPod is black. But the Wii is going to be white for the first few months, and I think it'd be cool if they matched. And black makes fingerprints a lot more apparent correct? But it looks so sweet. But maybe I'd enjoy the new white look. Freak, I'm having a hard time here, suggestions?

PixyJunket
09-19-06, 11:34 AM
Well, I'm interested in trading in my DS to upgrade to the Lite, but I just can't decide what color to get!

My first choice was black, cause I think it looks nice and my iPod is black. But the Wii is going to be white for the first few months, and I think it'd be cool if they matched. And black makes fingerprints a lot more apparent correct? But it looks so sweet. But maybe I'd enjoy the new white look. Freak, I'm having a hard time here, suggestions?I say go for white.. unless you plan to play with surgical gloves. The Black DS Lite is for display only. :)

PixyJunket
09-19-06, 11:36 AM
This sounds like a surprise and I haven't heard this at all..

Some sites are showing Rainbow Islands Revolution coming out next week.

pinata242
09-19-06, 12:44 PM
Picked up Cooking Mama at lunch. Hopefully I can get my wife to play it as well as it should push the DS Lite issue in my favor.

Sadly, I couldn't find a single Gamer Gift Card (other than EA and Xbox and both expired in 2005) anywhere in the store. Tons of Music Gift Cards with no coupon. My Best Buys suck.

darkside
09-19-06, 12:53 PM
The Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime reviews really have me pumped. Can't wait for it to come out. I may pick up the Pokemon game as well since its on sale at Circuit City. Looks like my gaming is going to start to gravitate back to the DS again now that I am kind of done with Lego Star Wars and Half Life 2: Episode one.

There is also a really good trade in deal in Game Informer for Mario Hoops so that one may end up on my list as well.

Frenzy
09-19-06, 02:42 PM
The Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime reviews really have me pumped.

Same here. Ordered for a nice price at CD WOW (~ 27 Euros). Never played a Dragon Quest game but that could be a nice start.

And look what Play Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-92-49-en-70-1lxx.html) got:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1180/pa75093003qx7.th.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pa75093003qx7.jpg)

:D2: :wtf: :lol:

Supermallet
09-19-06, 10:34 PM
Picked up Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon Blue for WhoGirl today, and Megaman ZX for myself. I cannot wait for Rocket Slime tomorrow.

darkside
09-19-06, 11:04 PM
Yeah, the EB trade in deals continue. Dumped 5 PS2 titles that I had picked up dirt cheap at the BB clearance and received $48 for them. More than I originally paid. Picked up Mario Hoops and had some cash left over. You have to have the coupon in GI to get the extra 30% though.

Mario Hoops is much better than I imagined. Not a perfect game, barely a basketball game, but all in all its a lot of fun. The strategy of trying to build up your coins before making a shot can get pretty intense once the computer difficulty gets higher. Its a really pretty game as well and looks like a N64 title. The most important thing is stylus control being optional. If I had to use the stylus to play I wouldn't even bother.

I also picked up Mystery Dungeon Blue. The only other Mystery Dungeon game I have owned was the Chocobo one on the PSone, but I know the series has a long tradition in Japan. So far I am really liking it and it seems perfect for short play bursts to kill time.

Tomorrow of course is Rocket Slime and everything else will go on the shelf while I play that one.

On top of all the other DS games I want this fall I now have this to consider.
Gyakuten Saiban 2 (Best Price) / Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All (Full English Support) 10/26/06
To order now or wait for the US release.

Supermallet
09-19-06, 11:15 PM
I'm waiting for the US release, but it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

bahgee
09-20-06, 09:22 AM
Yeah, the EB trade in deals continue. Dumped 5 PS2 titles that I had picked up dirt cheap at the BB clearance and received $48 for them. More than I originally paid. Picked up Mario Hoops and had some cash left over. You have to have the coupon in GI to get the extra 30% though.

Mario Hoops is much better than I imagined. Not a perfect game, barely a basketball game, but all in all its a lot of fun. The strategy of trying to build up your coins before making a shot can get pretty intense once the computer difficulty gets higher. Its a really pretty game as well and looks like a N64 title. The most important thing is stylus control being optional. If I had to use the stylus to play I wouldn't even bother.

I also picked up Mystery Dungeon Blue. The only other Mystery Dungeon game I have owned was the Chocobo one on the PSone, but I know the series has a long tradition in Japan. So far I am really liking it and it seems perfect for short play bursts to kill time.

Tomorrow of course is Rocket Slime and everything else will go on the shelf while I play that one.

On top of all the other DS games I want this fall I now have this to consider.
Gyakuten Saiban 2 (Best Price) / Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All (Full English Support) 10/26/06
To order now or wait for the US release.

Where is the option to disable stylus control in Mario Hoops? I looked briefly, but only saw options for left hand/ right hand.

PixyJunket
09-20-06, 09:36 AM
I've got a big haul at Fry's this week (Earl DVDs, Pokémon and Rocket Slime) but I'm waiting for a new video card to come in the mail so I can take my old one back for a refund and do all that business in one trip.. I'm really itching like mad to play both games, I'm trying to counter my impatience with saving an extra hour and gas money.

mmconhea
09-20-06, 10:00 AM
Got my Black DS yesterday. Very slick. I'd recommend it over the White as it seems to remain cleaner.
I sent in my White DS for repair and received back another DS with a stuck pixel. I wasn't going to stand for it, so I called Customer Service. They said they don't consider it a problem, but would allow me to send it back, postage paid, to swap for another (which they can't garantee would be perfect). Very friendly service, but I sent in a DS with perfect screens and they send me back one in worse shape... which I think is not appropriate.

PixyJunket
09-20-06, 10:07 AM
Yeah, that sucks.. but it's just the bane of current LCD technology sadly. :(

darkside
09-20-06, 10:14 AM
Where is the option to disable stylus control in Mario Hoops? I looked briefly, but only saw options for left hand/ right hand.
I don't think I had to disable anything, the buttons worked fine. I think I did look at the help options to see what the button layout was.

darkside
09-20-06, 10:20 AM
Got my Black DS yesterday. Very slick. I'd recommend it over the White as it seems to remain cleaner.
I sent in my White DS for repair and received back another DS with a stuck pixel. I wasn't going to stand for it, so I called Customer Service. They said they don't consider it a problem, but would allow me to send it back, postage paid, to swap for another (which they can't garantee would be perfect). Very friendly service, but I sent in a DS with perfect screens and they send me back one in worse shape... which I think is not appropriate.
This is the main reason I am ignoring my cracked hinge. The fact they may send me a different unit instead of just fixing the one I have. My screens are perfect and I don't want a fixed hinge and a stuck pixel.

mmconhea
09-20-06, 12:41 PM
I used this argument:
Me: If nintendo considers this to be a cosmetic issue, then it's safe to say that the cosmetic condition of the DS returned to me is worse than the cosmetic condition of the unit I sent in. Correct?
Nintendo CSR: correct.
Me: Is a scratch also considered a cosmetic issue?
Nintendo CSR: yes it is.
Me: So if I sent in a brand New DS that was DOA, would returning me one with scratches be fair to me as a consumer and good business practice for Nintendo?
Would a car dealer be responsible to reuturn a customer's car in the same cosmetic condition after warranty repair? Or would a scratch be acceptable?
Nintendo CSR: no.
Me: Then it certainly wouldn't be acceptable to return to me a product in worse cosmetic shape than what I sent in; scratch, dead pixel or whatever. right?
Nintendo CSR: What I can do is : you can open another repair request and I will put in a note to exchange it for a unit with no pixel issues.

Supermallet
09-20-06, 03:39 PM
Anyone pick up Rocket Slime yet?

Meanwhile, if anyone eve halfway enjoys Mega Man, pick up ZX. I couldn't put it down last night. Far more addicting than the umpteenth Mega Man game has a right to be.

darkside
09-20-06, 03:59 PM
I'm picking up Rocket Slime after work. Tempted by Mega Man, but once again I am in DS overload and will have to pick it up down the road when I catch up.

Goldberg74
09-20-06, 04:10 PM
I picked up my preorder of Pokemon Rescue Red from EB Games today (which I paid $35 for) before I found out about the CC sale ($23.99).

Can I take the game back, get my credit back on my card and then go pick it up at CC, or will EB Games match the ad and refund me $11?

Supermallet
09-20-06, 04:13 PM
EB Games doesn't price match unless the manager is in an amazingly good mood. So maybe a BJ will help? :D

PixyJunket
09-20-06, 04:20 PM
Seriously, EB/Gamestop's business model is a sliver away from robbery.. you actually thought they'd price match?!

pinata242
09-20-06, 04:25 PM
Go to CC first and get their deal then return one of them to EB.

Goldberg74
09-20-06, 04:28 PM
Oh well... I got it with a ton of credit, so I really shouldn't complain.

pinata242
09-20-06, 04:30 PM
I don't know, $11+tax is a wide margin. You'll use the credit eventually anyway, might as well save it for things there is no deal elsewhere.

sailor_moon
09-20-06, 07:29 PM
And look what Play Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-92-49-en-70-1lxx.html) got:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1180/pa75093003qx7.th.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pa75093003qx7.jpg)

:D2: :wtf: :lol:

That's hilarious. I'm going to have to get one.

Supermallet
09-20-06, 08:33 PM
Picked up Rocket Slime. It's definitely geared towards kids, which is kind of a shame, since I don't think too many kids play Dragon Quest. It's definitely still fun, I just hope you can become more autonomous as the game goes on, because at the beginning it's very limited.

Edit: Nevermind, it actually opens up very quickly. I'm enjoying it a lot.

PixyJunket
09-22-06, 12:59 PM
Picked up Pokémon and Rocket Slime.

Opened up and have been playing Pokémon first. (Sorry! I'm a Mystery Dungeon nut!)

darkside
09-22-06, 02:20 PM
I'm really liking both Rocket Slime and Mystery Dungeon. I really like that you keep all your experience when you die in this version of MD. One of the older versions I had played gave you nothing upon death. Really sucked if you spent a long time on a dungeon.

Rocket Slime is really cool. The kind of game that doesn't take itself very seriously and is a blast to play. I'll probably be focusing on that one the most right now.

PixyJunket
09-22-06, 02:34 PM
I'm really liking both Rocket Slime and Mystery Dungeon. I really like that you keep all your experience when you die in this version of MD. One of the older versions I had played gave you nothing upon death. Really sucked if you spent a long time on a dungeon.Pokémon MD is VERY similar to Chocobo MD in that you keep your levels and you have a partner.

darkside
09-22-06, 02:56 PM
Pokémon MD is VERY similar to Chocobo MD in that you keep your levels and you have a partner.

There was one other one I played a long time ago that didn't keep your levels and drove me crazy, but I can't remember which one it was. I really liked the Chocobo one so liking this one was pretty much a given.

PixyJunket
09-22-06, 03:03 PM
There was one other one I played a long time ago that didn't keep your levels and drove me crazy, but I can't remember which one it was. I really liked the Chocobo one so liking this one was pretty much a given.If it was an English released it would have been Torneko: The Last Hope (Dragon Quest) or Nightmare of Druaga (Tower of Druaga). Torneko is my personal favorite and by a long shot, I put over 100 hours into it and I still don't think I beat the "ultimate" dungeon which was 100 Levels and you couldn't bring ANY items in with you. It was brutal.

Those aren't really games for most people used to how much modern RPGs baby you, but I find them to be insanely fun (if not at times tear inducing). Chocobo MD did have some more "typical" rogue-style dungeons once you beat the game.. I bet Pokémon will as well.

darkside
09-22-06, 03:59 PM
I think it was one of the older Japanese SNES dungeon games, but I never got very far into it. I went through a faze where I tried playing a lot of Japanese RPGs with either English walkthroughs or just by stumbling around to figure stuff out.
Speaking of RPGs not babying the gamer it sounds like FFIII will maintain much of its high difficulty.

darkside
09-22-06, 04:15 PM
Sony is the king of clueless. Love this quote about the DS.

“I think obviously our competition, the handheld devices from Nintendo and specifically in the case of the DS, we really feel like they’re appealing to the same audience that Game Boy has always appealed to. And if you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms… They’re potentially losing some of their core audience and they’re not really expanding beyond that and we think we’re expanding into a completely new audience as we did with PlayStation. And we’ll do just what we did on PlayStation; we’ll dip down to the younger consumer eventually and we’ll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation.” - Sony Computer Entertainment America’s Executive VP Jack Tretton

:lol:

PalmerJoss
09-22-06, 06:38 PM
So far I am loving Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. It's an action-RPG very much in the style of Zelda with some puzzles to solve and lots of creatures to fight. I'm loving the tank battles, which are soooo very addictive. I love going through each environment collecting ammo for my tank which adds a bit of strategy to the exploring part of the game.

I have yet to play Pokemon as I've been so engrossed in Dragon Quest. I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get a chance to finally play it.

Michael Corvin
09-22-06, 08:36 PM
Sony is the king of clueless. Love this quote about the DS.

:lol:

Wow. I don't think there is a true sentence in that whole diatribe. Sony really is full of themselves these days. If they could see past their own bullshit hype they would see the disappointment amongst gamers with their decisions.

Chris_D
09-22-06, 09:09 PM
Pass me the crack pipe Sony!

Breakfast with Girls
09-22-06, 10:44 PM
I think obviously our competition, the handheld devices from Nintendo and specifically in the case of the DS, we really feel like they’re appealing to the same audience that Game Boy has always appealed to.Jack, if you haven't noticed, Brain Age is consistently one of the top-selling games for the system.

And if you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms…Coincidentally when the DS Lite was released. Also, word of mouth is the best form of advertising--I bought a DS (Lite) specifically because of the positive response it was getting after holding out because I thought it seemed gimmicky.

They’re potentially losing some of their core audience and they’re not really expanding beyond that and we think we’re expanding into a completely new audience as we did with PlayStation.The DS Lite appeals to the iPod crowd, just like the PSP does. The difference being that the DS has the games and the core audience. Jack, Sony is the one that's not expanding their audience. With the PSP, they're offering a portable PS2. (And with the PS3, they're appealing to an even narrower audience by doubling the launch price.)

And we’ll do just what we did on PlayStation; we’ll dip down to the younger consumer eventually and we’ll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation.The PlayStation appealed because it had great games. Unless some great exclusive games start being released for the PSP, you won't see the numbers increase.

pinata242
09-22-06, 11:50 PM
Just to back up Jack's claims there, here are the latest JP hardware sales stats (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/22/japanese-hardware-sales-11-september-17-september-tokyo-stal/):
- DS Lite: 134,885 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Up_Arrow.jpg 21,045 (18.49%)
- PS2: 34,189 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Up_Arrow.jpg 14,307 (71.96%)
- PSP: 26,995 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Down_Arrow.jpg 2,146 (7.36%)
- GBA SP: 2,330 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Up_Arrow.jpg 226 (10.74%)
- Game Boy Micro: 1,244 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Down_Arrow.jpg 557 (30.93%)
- Xbox 360: 928 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Down_Arrow.jpg 166 (15.17%)
- Gamecube: 630 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Down_Arrow.jpg 66 (9.48%)
- DS Phat: 478 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Down_Arrow.jpg 580 (54.82%)
- GBA: 27 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Up_Arrow.jpg 14 (107.70%)
- Xbox: 7 http://www.dsfanboy.com/media/2006/04/Up_Arrow.jpg 2 (40.00%)
Err... wait. Seems like the DS is up nearly as much as the PSP sold this week. No wonder they're so scared of the Wii in Japan.

Breakfast with Girls
09-23-06, 01:22 AM
Microsoft has got to be happy about those numbers. Looks like Japanese sales for the original Xbox are at an all time high this week.

fujishig
09-23-06, 04:29 AM
I know it's off topic, but why the meteoric rise in PS2 sales? Was there a pricedrop or something?

My wife bought me the black DS Lite because I've been stressed out at work, and the difference between that and my silver scratched-to-heck-because-of-that-damned-Nintendogs-game Fat DS. Of course, now I have to buy another case... any recommendations? Got the Hori screen protectors, since I learned my lesson with my last DS.

Picked up Megaman ZX, and despite only playing it less than an hour, also picked up the DragonQuests Slime game the very next day. Managed to avoid the Pokemon game because it seems so different from the core series, but man the posts here are tempting me, especially at that price.

ZX is a decent Megaman game with some cool features but a horrid, horrid map system. The hype is that it's a big map similar to Metroid or portable Castlevanias, but I wish the developers realized those games are fun partly because it's easy to see where you've been and how to get to where you're going.

Supermallet
09-23-06, 10:30 PM
PS2 sales are probably up because everyone realizes they won't get a PS3 anytime soon.

PixyJunket
09-24-06, 10:16 AM
Tales of the Tempest video, graphics look surprisingly awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt2Rgt84-no

The Bus
09-24-06, 11:24 AM
I just completed the 2nd mini castle on World 6 on NSMB :D
The way Bowser Jr. dies sort of reminds of Iggy in World 1 of Super Mario World.

I have a problem though, even after a short play time I fet horrible pins and needles in my hands and I have to stop :(

Same problem here. Some games it's a problem, not in others.

Setzer
09-24-06, 08:40 PM
Got my black DS Lite and Mario Hoops for my B-Day. I'm happy :) other than Mario Hoops is kinda dissapointing. :(

Setzer
09-24-06, 08:42 PM
Microsoft has got to be happy about those numbers. Looks like Japanese sales for the original Xbox are at an all time high this week.

Hey, MS should be happy -- the 360 is outselling the GameCube. :D

darkside
09-24-06, 09:58 PM
Got my black DS Lite and Mario Hoops for my B-Day. I'm happy :) other than Mario Hoops is kinda dissapointing. :(
Yeah, I had fun with Mario Hoops at first, but it really isn't very good. I've heard its more fun if you take the time to learn the stylus control.

That said I have spent most of my free time this weekend playing Rocket Slime and its easily one of my favorite DS games yet. Ultra addictive. We had a power outage for a few hours last night and I started playing it and ended up playing it long after the power came on. I've already put 10+ hours into it and really can't recommend it enough. The problem is the game is just damn hard to describe to people. The Tank battles really add a ton of depth to the game and could have been their own game they are so good.

My new top 5 all time DS game list.
1) New Super Mario Bros
2) Castlevania DS
3) Phoenix Wright
4) Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
5) Age of Empires: Age of Kings

Sorry Meteos, you are out of the top 5. BTW, 4 of my 5 DS favorites are 3rd party titles so it isn't just Nintendo that is bringing out great games.

PixyJunket
09-25-06, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I started Rocket Slime over the weekend.. but since I've played the first game it's not quite as new to me. Still, it's awesome and I'm glad to see it come out here! I've got a friend who's REALLY into it so I'm looking forward to some tank battles next weekend.

One thing about Rocket Slime and Pokémon: Mystery Dungeon that pisses me off is that's there's only ONE save file per game, same as Cooking Mama. That's the one thing the PSP has a beautiful advantage over the DS (even if you have to shell extra lettuce out for the memory stick).

Has anyone picked up Contact? Or was that not release yet?

PalmerJoss
09-25-06, 11:53 AM
Has anyone picked up Contact? Or was that not release yet?

I believe Contact was pushed back again to 10/18.

joeblow69
09-25-06, 10:14 PM
Anyone hear anything about Bubble Bobble Revolution and Rainbow Island Revolution? I think they're coming out this week, but I can't find any reviews.

Michael Corvin
09-25-06, 10:18 PM
Bubble Bobble was a great game. One I would consider on the VC, but if there is a portable one, that is the way to go.

I knew one was in the works, but I had no idea it was coming out so soon. It appears to be out, you can order it at Amazon.

DVDChris
09-26-06, 01:50 AM
Not very good ratings for Bubble Bobble from Nintendo Power:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929817.asp?q=bubble%20bobble

PixyJunket
09-26-06, 07:45 AM
Both Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands for DS have been out in Japan and Europe for some time.. both of them have been reviewed rather poorly. If you're looking for portable Bubble Bobble, the GBA version is excellent and has a rather decent "improved mode." The arcade version of Rainbow Islands is available for the PSP as part of Taito Memories Portable.

bahgee
09-26-06, 09:06 AM
Did Taito Memories for PSP ever get released in the US?

Michael Corvin
09-26-06, 09:27 AM
Did Taito Memories for PSP ever get released in the US?

Might want to check the PSP thread. :)

PixyJunket
09-26-06, 09:46 AM
Did Taito Memories for PSP ever get released in the US?No, but as the PSP is region free and the games are just arcade ports.. it's pretty import friendly.

My friend picked it up at Fry's for $40.

UncleGramps
09-26-06, 03:09 PM
It's impressive how many good DS games are coming out. Except for Okami, I haven't bought much other than DS games lately. I really enjoyed Star Fox Command, but with the newer games coming out, I haven't had as much time to play it as I'd like. Last week I used trade-in credit to pick up DQH: Rocket Slime (which wasn't even on my radar until the great reviews started coming in), which is just plain fun. I'm rescued just over 60 of the slimes so far, and though the game isn't terribly deep or challenging, the play mechanics (Elasto Blast, carrying objects, and the tank battles) and presentation really make it a solid experience. I also rented Mario Hoops, which is reasonably enjoyable, though I could see it getting old pretty quickly. And today I'm planning to pick up Mario vs. DK 2, which looks to be getting pretty good reviews. I'm a fan of the old GB Donkey Kong and the first Mario vs. DK game, and although it sounds like they changed the core gameplay for this sequel, I'm still pretty excited to try it out. The level editor in particular is very promising. It's a good time to own a DS, that's for sure.

shumway
09-26-06, 06:24 PM
I'm considering buying Pokemon Dungeon Blue, but, the reviews I'm reading aren't very favorable. I've never tried the Mystery Dungeon games, so, don't know if I'll like it. I did absolutely LOVE "Shining in the Darkness" back in the day for Genesis. Any advice?

PixyJunket
09-27-06, 08:23 AM
I'm considering buying Pokemon Dungeon Blue, but, the reviews I'm reading aren't very favorable. I've never tried the Mystery Dungeon games, so, don't know if I'll like it. I did absolutely LOVE "Shining in the Darkness" back in the day for Genesis. Any advice?It depends on what you're looking for.. it's a dungeon hack (aka a rogue-like game), you go into randomly generated dungeons and pretty much the purpose is to level up and collect loot.. sort of like a turn-based Diablo (to compare it to something well known). It's not really a game for people looking for a modern console RPG where the point of the game is to just follow a story in a linear path.. worth a look if you like old-school RPGs, most store have the game in their GBA demo kiosks.

Trevor
09-27-06, 08:45 AM
Speaking of Rocket Slime, does anyone remember Todd's Adventure in Slime World for the Atari Lynx?

Awesome game, still play it on my linked Lynx's from time to time.

Michael Corvin
09-27-06, 09:40 AM
Snagged the MvsDK demo at Target last night. Seems decent. Remniscent of Lemmings. Doesn't seem like a full price purchase to me, though.

What does DK have to do with anything?

Jcheckel
09-27-06, 11:01 AM
What does DK have to do with anything?

There are boss levels after each set of 9 levels, where you have to defeat DK.

I'm through 3 worlds and I still don't know how I feel about it. The levels haven't seemed to get more difficult, but there's plenty of time for that. I wish the world's were bigger than 9 levels, just so they could get a little harder, because the first few levels on the world seem to focus on what they're introducing as that world's gimmick. All that being said, I'll probably end up playing all the way through it. I still haven't played around with the level creator yet, not sure how much I will.

UncleGramps
09-27-06, 12:13 PM
I'm through 3 worlds and I still don't know how I feel about it. The levels haven't seemed to get more difficult, but there's plenty of time for that. I wish the world's were bigger than 9 levels, just so they could get a little harder, because the first few levels on the world seem to focus on what they're introducing as that world's gimmick. All that being said, I'll probably end up playing all the way through it. I still haven't played around with the level creator yet, not sure how much I will.
I'm having a similar reaction, and I also just got to world 4. I'll have to give it a little more time to be sure, but so far I prefer the gameplay of the GB & GBA games in the series. Hopefully the difficulty ramps up in later worlds. I'll definitely be playing this one all the way through and messing with the level editor a bit, and hopefully I'll have a more positive opinion of it by that point.

slop101
09-27-06, 09:03 PM
I just bought Mario vs. DK 2 - Ack! No one told me this game was stylus-control only.

I'm really bummed - I wish I could take it back. I don't like this at all - I thought it'd be like the last one, which I liked a lot.

Supermallet
09-27-06, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I tried the demo on MvDK2 and couldn't stand it. That's okay, I'm spending so much on HD DVDs anyway that one less video game is a sigh of relief.

PixyJunket
09-28-06, 08:54 AM
I'm thinking Rocket Slime might just be my favorite DS game yet!

I love the dialog in the game.. give me silly over pretentious ANY day.

My guilty pleasure is attacking the townsfolk and hearing what they have to say afterwards. :lol:

Michael Corvin
09-28-06, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I tried the demo on MvDK2 and couldn't stand it. That's okay, I'm spending so much on HD DVDs anyway that one less video game is a sigh of relief.

I liked it okay, but it seems rather simple compared to Lemmings. Not a lot of replay value either. I'll snag it when it's cheap though.

Ralph Wiggum
09-28-06, 09:09 PM
I think the strict Lemmings comparison isn't very accurate: Mario vs. DK 2 is like an arcade-style Lemmings. It's more about the speed and getting perfect play-throughs of the levels.

darkside
09-28-06, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking Rocket Slime might just be my favorite DS game yet!

I love the dialog in the game.. give me silly over pretentious ANY day.

My guilty pleasure is attacking the townsfolk and hearing what they have to say afterwards. :lol:

Just finished with all 100 slimes and the insane final battle. Still messing around with the tank arena trying to beat the last battle after finishing class S. Its a tough one, because its a one on one battle. You can't just bum rush the other tank while your team launches an attack.

Definitely one of the best DS games released this year.

Brent L
09-28-06, 09:19 PM
I haven't read though this thread or anything lately, so don't jump on me. I just have a quick question. Is Rocket Slime a turn-based RPG?

slop101
09-29-06, 12:58 AM
Is Rocket Slime a turn-based RPG?No.
It's much more of an action-RPG.

darkside
09-29-06, 06:54 AM
No.
It's much more of an action-RPG.

Its kind of similar to the NES Zelda in some ways with the exception of the tank combat.

PixyJunket
09-29-06, 07:56 AM
I haven't read though this thread or anything lately, so don't jump on me. I just have a quick question. Is Rocket Slime a turn-based RPG?It's basically an adventure game.. there's no RPG elements to it at all. I suppose most people would probably compare it to a 2D Zelda style game but it's certainly very unique in its genre so it's hard to compare it to anything. The basic premise is you can do a dashing attack that will flip things over and you carry stuff (monsters, items, other slimes) on your head to either throw at other monsters or throw on trains to have them delivered to your town. The goal is to save all the townsfolk, so you go through levels, find slimes and carry them to the little trains to be delivered back to the village while collecting items for your tank. The tank battles follow the same gameplay model except now you are picking up ammo and loading it into cannons (or you can go to the enemy tank and screw with its crew, etc. while your posse does the ammo work). If you the old Zelda games I'd certainly say give it a try, but it's not entirely comparable to that.

pinata242
09-29-06, 09:12 AM
Plus, there's alchemy and in order to get the biggest and baddest ammo, you're going to be doing some collecting of smaller items to build up. I like the tank battles, but they're way too easy once you figure out what works for you. Almost to the point of tedious.

Brent L
09-30-06, 02:20 AM
Wow.

You can get Phoenix Wright for only $20.55/shipped at cduniverse using the Google Checkout deal:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6877414&style=games&BAB=D

The same goes for Trauma Center:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6877411&style=games&BAB=D

grim_tales
09-30-06, 05:00 AM
AARGHH... World 6-5 on NSMB is really annoying me :( Swimming is one thing I don't like in this game - its oddly imprecise compared to SMB3, SMW et al :(
I always get past the midway point but I keep dying :mad:

PerryD
09-30-06, 10:41 AM
AARGHH... World 6-5 on NSMB is really annoying me :(

I've completed worlds 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and am at the final huge castle at the end. I had a blast playing the game up to this point, but now it's not fun for me anymore.

What I'd like to do is go back and play levels 4 and 7. Is there any way to do that? I'm hoping I don't have to finish world 8 as I'm getting bored trying to complete that level.

Also, I'd like to go and collect more of the gold star coins that I missed, but I don't know how to save the progress after re-completing an earlier stage with the additional coins. Am I missing something obvious?

fumanstan
09-30-06, 10:46 AM
I've completed worlds 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and am at the final huge castle at the end. I had a blast playing the game up to this point, but now it's not fun for me anymore.

What I'd like to do is go back and play levels 4 and 7. Is there any way to do that? I'm hoping I don't have to finish world 8 as I'm getting bored trying to complete that level.

Also, I'd like to go and collect more of the gold star coins that I missed, but I don't know how to save the progress after re-completing an earlier stage with the additional coins. Am I missing something obvious?

You can go back to previous worlds just by tapping the world on the touch screen.

Unless you beat the game, allowing you to save at any time, you can only save after spending star coins or beating mini-boss or boss stages.

pinata242
09-30-06, 10:46 AM
Worlds 4 and 7 are unlocked by defeating the bosses of worlds 3 and 6, respectively, as mini-mario.

PerryD
09-30-06, 10:52 AM
Worlds 4 and 7 are unlocked by defeating the bosses of worlds 3 and 6, respectively, as mini-mario.

Thank you! I'll give it a shot.

pinata242
10-02-06, 10:53 AM
Just noticed in speedy's CC thread for 10/8 that Clubhouse Games comes out 10/10 for $29.99. I don't know why I was expecting this to be a $20 game. I really want it, especially the WiFi, but I'm not sold yet on $30. Anybody else planning on getting it?

chess
10-02-06, 11:38 AM
Just noticed in speedy's CC thread for 10/8 that Clubhouse Games comes out 10/10 for $29.99. I don't know why I was expecting this to be a $20 game. I really want it, especially the WiFi, but I'm not sold yet on $30. Anybody else planning on getting it?

Hmmm...I thought it was a $20 title as well...part of their touch generations line. I was hoping to get it for $15 with a GGC.

Still, as long as the AI in the games is good, it will be well worth $30. But I can't emphasize enought how important it is that they got the AI right.

This is probably the title I'm looking forward to most...but I'll definitely wait for some reviews.

UncleGramps
10-02-06, 01:07 PM
Finished DQ: Rocket Slime this morning. Great game, and it held my attention all the way through. I even feel motivated to complete my monster and item lists and play through the Tank Masters arena. And now I can go back to Mario vs. DK 2, which I put on the back burner until I had gotten all 100 slimes. I'm actually warming up to MvsDK2 (up to world 6 right now if memory serves). Still disappointed that they made such a drastic change to the core gameplay, but if you can get past that, it can actually be quite entertaining.

PixyJunket
10-02-06, 01:17 PM
I also beat Rocket Slime's main area last night. I'm working primarily now on collecting random craps for alchemy. I've got two other people with the game and we played some multi-player over the weekend and it was awesome. We almost died laughing when I busted up into my friend's tank to go for the engine, picked him up and threw him in his own cannon to give me a clean break.

Seems like you can do four-player tank battles with two people per tank. When you start a battle you get to pick your tank and how much HP you have.. but you still have the posse and ammo you have on your own save file (so it was a bit unbalanced the first game, afterwards I got rid of my crew and downgraded my ammo to even out where my friend was).

Josh H
10-02-06, 01:30 PM
I also beat Rocket Slime's main area last night. I'm working primarily now on collecting random craps for alchemy.

How long would you say it took to beat the main game?

It's on my list now with Castlevania and Zelda both apparently bumped until next year.

UncleGramps
10-02-06, 02:01 PM
How long would you say it took to beat the main game?

It's on my list now with Castlevania and Zelda both apparently bumped until next year.
It took me about 11 or 12 hours for the main game. But if you enjoy the tank battles, there's an arena that opens up towards the end that gives you probably a few more hours of gameplay.

The Bus
10-02-06, 03:06 PM
I just got Cooking Mama for the DS. This game was unpossible to find at stores, so I got it online. I played about 30 minutes just now and that was more than enough to get into the game. At that point I felt like I've seen it all. Does that it mean it's boring or that it lacks replay value? I'm not sure. I would've liked a multiplayer mode (the "Single Card DS Download Play" on the back refers to being able to send a demo) and I would've liked a "make-your-own-recipe" game mode: so far it looks like you only mix recipes, not make your own food. I was expecting something along the lines of the judging at the end of Iron Chef.

At $20, I can't complain. The game is about as deep as other $20 games (BBA, Brain Age, Metroid Pinball) and I guess eventually it can be rewarding. If it seems interesting, pick it up and try it out. It's not in the list of ten games I'd first get for the system, though.

<hr>

As an aside, is there a reason there's only one great racing game for this system? Besides Mario Kart, there doesn't seem to be anything else that's any good.

Josh H
10-02-06, 03:55 PM
It took me about 11 or 12 hours for the main game. But if you enjoy the tank battles, there's an arena that opens up towards the end that gives you probably a few more hours of gameplay.

Good to hear. I was hoping it wasn't overly long as I'm strapped for time now. May pick it up after I finish off a couple of games (if I finish them off enough ahead of the Wii launch anyway).

PixyJunket
10-02-06, 04:27 PM
@ Fry's this week:

$22.99 (10/1)
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis

Drexl
10-02-06, 04:48 PM

I'm getting it for sure. I think it's a good value considering all the different games. Usually with portable game compilations they just include a few games even though they probably could have included more. This is the kind of collection I would have expected to be drawn out over two or three "volumes."

pinata242
10-02-06, 04:51 PM
I just checked the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clubhouse_Games) for this game to see if there was any info on persistent poker bankrolls for online play and was pleasently surprised to see it supports the rumble pak. Nice that things are still taking advantage of that it it wasn't a one-(or two)-off.

Anybody know if there's a persistent bankroll for online play like that?

chess
10-02-06, 05:29 PM
As an aside, is there a reason there's only one great racing game for this system? Besides Mario Kart, there doesn't seem to be anything else that's any good.

Calling it "good" might be a stretch, but I enjoyed Need for Speed Underground. It had sort of a Burnout feel to it.

Of course, I only paid $7 for it, so my expectations were tempered a bit. :)

darkside
10-02-06, 05:29 PM
Hmmm...I thought it was a $20 title as well...part of their touch generations line. I was hoping to get it for $15 with a GGC.

Still, as long as the AI in the games is good, it will be well worth $30. But I can't emphasize enought how important it is that they got the AI right.

This is probably the title I'm looking forward to most...but I'll definitely wait for some reviews.
The review in Nintendo Power put me off a bit. Seems like most of the games are limited to a certain number of rounds before they end instead of the normal points you play to in Hearts, etc. I'm going to wait for more reviews, but as for now its scratched off my buy list. Currently Touch Detective is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

TheNightFlier
10-02-06, 06:05 PM
You can add another one to the "caved in" tally. Had some GCs to Amazon which knocked the price down to around 50 and change. Not entirely sure which games i'm getting yet.

Josh H
10-02-06, 06:17 PM
Currently Touch Detective is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

It got a pretty crappy review in EGM. Can't remember what the scores were as I just saw them on a post in another forum (haven't got the issue yet). Seems like they were in the 3 to 5 range across the reviews.

darkside
10-02-06, 09:25 PM
It got a pretty crappy review in EGM. Can't remember what the scores were as I just saw them on a post in another forum (haven't got the issue yet). Seems like they were in the 3 to 5 range across the reviews.
Crap, I'm not expecting a point and click adventure to get great scores, but I was hoping for at least 6s or 7s. I will definitely wait for IGN and Gamespot to review it before buying a copy.

rauent
10-02-06, 10:58 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know where there may be any deals on the DS? My 10 year old wants one, and I'll get to use it, so I'm looking. What about used from some big auction house?

Thanks,

Tim

mmconhea
10-03-06, 11:54 AM
I got my white DS (one Nintendo sent back "fixed" with a stick pixel). They sent one in pristine condition with perfect screens and extra styluses.

pinata242
10-03-06, 11:59 AM
Stylii? ;)

Supermallet
10-03-06, 10:12 PM
An extra stylus and another extra stylus. ;)

Michael Corvin
10-04-06, 12:36 AM
A couple of extra pen thingies. ;)

Lastblade
10-05-06, 04:57 PM
Sold the original DS and bought an Onyx DS Lite. Awesome, love the smaller/sleeker look, and got a nice clear protector and have been playing Super Robot Taisen Original Generation non-stop for about a week now.

I do need to get a strap for it though, since DSLite does not included it (c'mon cheapie Nintendo).

Tracer Bullet
10-08-06, 12:50 AM
I just got Cooking Mama for the DS. This game was unpossible to find at stores, so I got it online.

That's probably because the Virgin Megastore in New York has 500 copies. :lol:

PixyJunket
10-10-06, 09:03 AM
I really think Rocket Slime might be my favorite multi-player DS game yet. We had some 2 vs. 1 matches last night. Since I had already beaten the game I let my friends gang up on me and have 2000 HP over my 500. That actually worked out quite well because they were fairly even matches (I won them all though!). The last one actually had both tanks at 0 and it was a run for the wire to get to the engines. I had switched out one of my posse to a golem and rode it over to their tank and plowed through the defense barriers though.

Of course, some other friends were watching this mayhem and it looks like I got another copy of the game sold and another friend was finally convinced that she needed to get a DS. Now I get to be more of a dick and stock up on level 3 ammunition for the weekend.

chess
10-10-06, 11:06 AM
I got an awesome DS advert booklet at Best Buy last night. It has info on many of the upcoming games. 30-40 pages, super glossy photos, good heavy stock paper. Very classy...almost Apple-like.

Also had some info on the Wii and upcoming games for the Cube.

chess
10-10-06, 11:06 AM
Oh...and Rocket Slime added to Xmas list! :)

Goldberg74
10-12-06, 10:14 AM
Picked up Clubhouse Games for the wife last night and she loves it.

I got to play a round of bowling and try my hand at chinese checkers. Pretty fun.

She'd like to recommend it to all y'all.

fumanstan
10-12-06, 01:04 PM
Picked up Clubhouse Games for the wife last night and she loves it.

I got to play a round of bowling and try my hand at chinese checkers. Pretty fun.

She'd like to recommend it to all y'all.

That's good to hear. I was looking at it the other night at Target. I was hoping it would only be 19.99 though :(

Josh H
10-12-06, 06:29 PM
September NPD US hardware sales data I grabbed from another forum.

Nintendo DS 403,435
PlayStation 2 306,517
Xbox 360 259,458
Game Boy Advance 177,145
PlayStation Portable 153,353
GameCube 42,286
Xbox 6,495

DS is killing sitll and even the GBA outsold the PSP.

CreatureX
10-12-06, 06:48 PM

Nintendo DS 403,435
PlayStation 2 306,517
Xbox 360 259,458
Game Boy Advance 177,145
PlayStation Portable 153,353
GameCube 42,286
Xbox 6,495

I can't believe that the PS2 is still outselling the 360.

chess
10-12-06, 07:07 PM
That's good to hear. I was looking at it the other night at Target. I was hoping it would only be 19.99 though :(

I believe it's $24.99 at Best Buy starting Sunday. If so, add in the usual $5 coupon and it's $19.99.

There you go.

Josh H
10-12-06, 07:11 PM

PS2 is cheap and has a huge game library of cheap games. 360 is $340 (tard pack plus memory card) to $400 with $60 games and a smaller library if cheaper games.

The PS2 is just the easier impulse by for casual gamers, parents etc. And that's mainly who is buying consoles a year after launch.

darkside
10-12-06, 07:46 PM

Wow the Lite has really smoked the PSP since coming out. All those DS sales could really be a big benefit to the Wii down the road. I see lots of teens and adults now with DS Lites.

Michael Corvin
10-12-06, 08:05 PM

Yep.So much for the argument that PSP is holding its own here against the DS.

So on a sales chart like this is it still units sold(Nintendo) vs. units shipped(Sony)? or is it all units sold?

Joe Molotov
10-12-06, 08:16 PM
So on a sales chart like this is it still units sold(Nintendo) vs. units shipped(Sony)? or is it all units sold?

These are all actual units sold.

Josh H
10-12-06, 10:41 PM
Yep. NPD data is all units actually sold as the collect data at the point of sale.

darkside
10-14-06, 01:59 PM
Club House Games is way beyond my expectations. I won't try to say every game on there is a masterpiece, but 90% of them are very, very good. I've played online a bit as well and other than the fact there aren't a lot of people playing online right now its pretty good. I'm almost finished with stamp mode and will try to be online as much as I have time for playing Hearts, Spades, Poker, Blackjack and the like.

$24.99 tomorrow at Best Buy and I can't recommend it highly enough. You will find some games on here you like and will find it worth your $25 if you like board and card games. Heck even some of the sketchy games like Darts and Bowling are okay time killers even if the stylus controls aren't the greatest.

RichC2
10-14-06, 03:41 PM

I dunno, a cheap system with a ton of cheap games outselling an expensive system with limited expensive games? Seems pretty logical to me.

Decker
10-15-06, 12:57 PM
Club House Games is way beyond my expectations. I won't try to say every game on there is a masterpiece, but 90% of them are very, very good. I've played online a bit as well and other than the fact there aren't a lot of people playing online right now its pretty good. I'm almost finished with stamp mode and will try to be online as much as I have time for playing Hearts, Spades, Poker, Blackjack and the like.

$24.99 tomorrow at Best Buy and I can't recommend it highly enough. You will find some games on here you like and will find it worth your $25 if you like board and card games. Heck even some of the sketchy games like Darts and Bowling are okay time killers even if the stylus controls aren't the greatest.
Yeah, I'm thinking about picking this up today for $20 a/c. Glad it hear it's pretty decent. I have a question : can two players play against each other using one DS by passing it back and forth?

fumanstan
10-15-06, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about picking this up today for $20 a/c. Glad it hear it's pretty decent. I have a question : can two players play against each other using one DS by passing it back and forth?

I picked this up yesterday at Fry's.... I don't think you can. At least I can't figure out how to do it.

pinata242
10-16-06, 10:13 AM

I think I'm going to have to pick this up now that it is only $19.99 after GGC. New BB 3 miles from my house opened up last week and they're loaded with the GGCs whereas the other Tulsa-area ones haven't had them for some time. I'll see y'all at the tables ;)

chess
10-16-06, 10:38 AM

I only had a few hours to play with it last night, but so far, I couldn't agree more. I played a few card games and a few board games on the easy setting, and they were certainly easy. I'll have to increase the difficulty before I make any assessment about the AI. But it's fun regardless, and this might be the game that finally makes me get Wi-Fi. I'm looking forward to checking out Dominoes and learning a few new card games. I think this will be the game that stays in my DS almost full-time...only coming out when I want to play something specific.

I even like the bowling and the 9-ball. They aren't realistic, but they sure are fun. The interface for darts doesn't quite work.

Had no problem using the gamer's gift card coupon at Best Buy last night...came out to $21 and change after tax. :up:

KenKeith
10-16-06, 05:08 PM
I think I'm going to have to pick this up now that it is only $19.99 after GGC. New BB 3 miles from my house opened up last week and they're loaded with the GGCs whereas the other Tulsa-area ones haven't had them for some time. I'll see y'all at the tables ;)

what's the new best buy in tulsa that opened 3 weeks ago?

pinata242
10-16-06, 05:16 PM
Owasso (you can't miss it from 169, exit 96th N) and it was 3 days ago, 10/13. It's small, but it is loaded with GGCs, get em while you can.

ThePrimeDreamer
10-16-06, 06:45 PM
Where are the gamer's gift cards located again? And what do they look like? I've had the hardest time finding them at the Pasadena, CA. store! :(

Decker
10-16-06, 10:02 PM
Where are the gamer's gift cards located again? And what do they look like? I've had the hardest time finding them at the Pasadena, CA. store! :(
They're silver sparkely with blue writing and says GAMES on the front.

chess
10-16-06, 10:40 PM
Usually in the front of the store with the rest of the gift cards...or sometimes in the games section.

The Bus
10-17-06, 11:49 AM
A question on Dragon Quest: Slime Heroes. I tried to play multi-player download play, and everyone else connected and started playing the computer. My screen kept saying "looking for friends to connect" and never did. What gives?

PixyJunket
10-17-06, 12:01 PM
A question on Dragon Quest: Slime Heroes. I tried to play multi-player download play, and everyone else connected and started playing the computer. My screen kept saying "looking for friends to connect" and never did. What gives?I'm not sure about single-card play.. I didn't think you could do multi-player on single-card.

Jeremy517
10-17-06, 12:33 PM

Not all stores still have them. Mine hasn't had them for three years.

The Bus
10-18-06, 10:33 AM
So when you did DQ: Slime multiplayer, everyone had their own card?

It's kind of stupid to advertise "Single-Card Download Play" when all that means is sending a demo. :mad:

NiCK Crush
10-21-06, 03:00 AM
its 2:59 in the morning and i think i am about to head to my local 24-hour Wal-Mart and pick up a DS Lite...

-NiCK

RichC2
10-21-06, 03:24 AM
Do it.

Goldberg74
10-21-06, 11:32 AM
A few months ago, I traded in a bunch of games to get my wife a Coral Pink DS Lite.

I'd been sneaking it away from her to play NSMB and the Clubhouse games.

We had a garage sale a few weeks ago and she pulled a bunch of her chick-flick DVDs and told me what ever didn't sell, I could trade in for credit for my own DS Lite.

So last night I traded the leftovers to the local Blockbuster and got enough credit to get a white DS Lite.

So we are a two DS Lite family (and still a one car family).

We played a few rounds of darts last night off her cartrdge. Pretty fun.

darkside
10-21-06, 12:04 PM
Clubhouse games is really addictive. Glad to see you picked up a Lite.

Goldberg74
10-21-06, 12:14 PM
Clubhouse games is really addictive. Glad to see you picked up a Lite.
It was kinda funny bumping into you at EB last night.

They wanted to give me between $.50 and $2 for most of the DVDs, BB gave me an average of $3-$4 for the same titles. I only had to pay a $40 difference for the Lite.

Fun times ahead. We'll have to try to play a round of bowling or darts someday. ;)

darkside
10-21-06, 01:05 PM
It was kinda funny bumping into you at EB last night.

They wanted to give me between $.50 and $2 for most of the DVDs, BB gave me an average of $3-$4 for the same titles. I only had to pay a $40 difference for the Lite.

Fun times ahead. We'll have to try to play a round of bowling or darts someday. ;)
Yeah, I had heard their DVD trade in values were terrible. Glad you got a better deal at Blockbuster. I did clean up on DVD box sets though at their B2G1F sale. Ended up hitting three stores and will probably check a couple more today. Someone bought 9 Friends box sets at the Blanco and 1604 Gamestop last night.

Considering how mint my Sopranos and Pink Panther sets were I'm guessing most of the used DVD box sets at EB/Gamestop came directly from across the highway at Best Buy.

Anyway, back on topic a bit. Has anyone found a copy of Contact yet? I thought it would be out already, but have yet to find one.

NiCK Crush
10-21-06, 03:35 PM
new to the DS... just picked up an Onyx Lite and NSMB... what other games are absolute musts?

i'm hearing alot about Club House Games, and Big Brain Academy... any others?

-NiCK

darkside
10-21-06, 05:47 PM
new to the DS... just picked up an Onyx Lite and NSMB... what other games are absolute musts?

i'm hearing alot about Club House Games, and Big Brain Academy... any others?

-NiCK
Depends on your likes, but some of my favorites are:
Phoenix Wright - text/point adventure
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - action/adventure
New Super Mario Bros - Platformer
Dragon Quest Rocket Slime - Action RPG

I'm actually not recommending Trauma Center anymore because the difficulty level seems to frustrate more than it entertains. I've also stopped recommending Animal Crossing because even though its a decent time killer there is really no point and no real feeling of accomplishment after putting in a lot of play time.

chess
10-21-06, 05:50 PM
Also...

Super Princess Peach
Mario Kart DS

...and a ton of GBA titles.

chess
10-21-06, 05:51 PM
6 of the past 7 posts (well, now 7 of 8) from San Antonio. :up:

fumanstan
10-21-06, 05:54 PM
6 of the past 7 posts (well, now 7 of 8) from San Antonio. :up:

The same 3 people posting doesn't count! -ohbfrank-

chess
10-21-06, 05:57 PM
The same 3 people posting doesn't count! -ohbfrank-

Well, that's one from Irvine. :clap:

Lighten up Francis, I just noticed and thought it was kind of cool...small world and all. -ohbfrank- yourself.

Demontooth
10-21-06, 08:56 PM
I like Brain Age better than Big Brain Academy

edit: Take your DS to a download station and download the demo(s) before you decide.

NiCK Crush
10-21-06, 09:04 PM
I like Brain Age better than Big Brain Academy

edit: Take your DS to a download station and download the demo(s) before you decide.

Yea, good call. I'll end up just getting them both I imagine. They both seem like great time killers.

As far as the download stations... i can just take my DS into any store that has it and go to town?

-NiCK

Josh H
10-21-06, 09:08 PM
Yea, good call. I'll end up just getting them both I imagine. They both seem like great time killers.

As far as the download stations... i can just take my DS into any store that has it and go to town?

-NiCK

Yep, can only download 1 at at time, and you lose them if you turn the power off.

Most just download 1 they want to try for a while,then just shut the lite so it goes to sleep mode, then you can open it up and play the demo. Just keep doing that until you are done with the demo, or want to play another game.

fumanstan
10-21-06, 10:03 PM
Well, that's one from Irvine. :clap:

Lighten up Francis, I just noticed and thought it was kind of cool...small world and all. -ohbfrank- yourself.

It's ok, Shirely. No need to be upset.

Goldberg74
10-21-06, 10:22 PM
Went to EB and downloaded the demo for March of the Minis. Interesting game.

While I was there, I traded in a few of the GBA games I had sitting around, and using their B2G1 deal on used games, I scored Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS, and Pokémon Blue Dungeon for $55. I wish that they still would have ahd their "Trade 3 Get $10 extra" deal going on, but oh well.

:up:

NiCK Crush
10-21-06, 11:26 PM
i really love Tetris... but is Tetris DS a must? I'm surprised its $29.99

-NiCK

chess
10-21-06, 11:49 PM
i really love Tetris... but is Tetris DS a must? I'm surprised its $29.99

-NiCK

I don't even think it's the best puzzle game for the DS. Meteos probably holds that title...and for a good budget puzzler, try Puyo Pop Fever.

Decker
10-22-06, 04:51 AM
I don't even think it's the best puzzle game for the DS. Meteos probably holds that title...and for a good budget puzzler, try Puyo Pop Fever.
I was curious about Meteos. Now I see there's a Disney Meteos coming out and I'm contemplating getting that instead.

Supermallet
10-22-06, 05:44 AM
Anyone try out Contact yet? It was one of my most anticipated titles of the year, but I found it to be highly disappointing. Feels like a retread of Lost In Blue, but far more superficial.

darkside
10-22-06, 11:32 AM
Anyone try out Contact yet? It was one of my most anticipated titles of the year, but I found it to be highly disappointing. Feels like a retread of Lost In Blue, but far more superficial.
Bought it last night. It is still too early for me to pass judgement on it. I never played lost in blue though. Having fun so far. Very bizarre game, that is for sure.

eatntae
10-22-06, 02:05 PM
I was curious about Meteos. Now I see there's a Disney Meteos coming out and I'm contemplating getting that instead.
Sweet, I didn't know about the Disney Meteos. This is the game that was in my original DS when it got lost, and I've always been hesitant to buy it again. But I'll definitely buy an updated version.

chess
10-22-06, 02:33 PM
Sweet, I didn't know about the Disney Meteos. This is the game that was in my original DS when it got lost, and I've always been hesitant to buy it again. But I'll definitely buy an updated version.

Sounds gimmicky. I'd just buy a used copy of the current one.

eatntae
10-22-06, 02:43 PM
Sounds gimmicky. I'd just buy a used copy of the current one.
Well, if its pretty much the same game, just with Disney skins and themes, I'd prefer the Disney one anyways. Besides, its a DS game, of course its gimmicky! ;)

Josh H
10-22-06, 03:00 PM
I really wish Nintendo would put out a WiFi enabled version of Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League.

I like Meteos, but it's a bit too frantic and fast paced and I still prefer playing Tetris Attack.

A WiFi Meteos would be nice as well though, but it looks like the Disney one is local multiplayer only again. :(

Jcheckel
10-22-06, 08:03 PM
On the subject of Disney Meteos, I was going to pass on it, but now I'm thinking I'm going to have to pick it up. Looking at the screenshots and videos, you now hold the DS like you do in Brain Age which I really like for this game. I just hope you can use original Meteos rules, because from the videos it looks like you can now move blocks horizontally :(

darkside
10-22-06, 08:53 PM
Figured what the heck since the B2G1F was going and picked up Metroid Prime Hunters, Megaman ZX and Point Blank DS. 3 pretty decent games for $50.

I'm enjoying Contact personally. It won't rank as my all time favorite or anything, but its a fun game and weird as hell. Kind of a Mystery Dungeon game with different outfits, weapons and stickers. You also have the cooking element and the weird 8bit professor guy. Very strange game, but as with Killer 7 I like supporting this kind of weirdness. I also found a used copy of Ikaruga and added that to my GameCube collection.

Ralph Wiggum
10-22-06, 10:53 PM
Picked up Tetris DS, Clubhouse Games, and StarFox Command at TRU. The first two are definite keepers, but I think StarFox is probably headed to eBay.

pinata242
10-22-06, 11:15 PM
I also picked up Starfox Command at TRU, but I'm not sure about it. Is it a keeper?

Is there another DS game for $29.99 that would be better? Here's what I do have: http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?lid=100018&owner=pinata242&mode=view&sortC=6

Supermallet
10-22-06, 11:20 PM
Starfox was a lot of fun, imo. WhoGirl asked me to pick her up Clubhouse Games, so I'm going to get that one soon.

Ralph Wiggum
10-23-06, 12:38 AM
I also picked up Starfox Command at TRU, but I'm not sure about it. Is it a keeper?

Is there another DS game for $29.99 that would be better? Here's what I do have: http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?lid=100018&owner=pinata242&mode=view&sortC=6
StarFox has some decent ideas that just don't amount to anything special. I know there's supposed to be replay with the branching paths, but I'm not interested enough in the story or the action to do that. FWIW, I thought the N64 incarnation was the best in the series; I won't speak of the Cube entries.

I highly, highly recommend Advance Wars: Dual Strike - more worthwhile content than just about any game (console or handheld) on the market today. It's outstanding in single-player or multi-player, too. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 seems like it may be compatible with your taste as well.

Supermallet
10-23-06, 12:48 AM
I would recommend Age of Empires over Advance Wars.

darkside
10-23-06, 07:09 AM
I liked AOE, but the DS version is very buggy. I know using a three letter name for your save file can brick the cart. I had several freeze ups in the middle of long battles so you have to make sure to save constantly.

Good game, but I'm liking Advance Wars as well.

pinata242
10-23-06, 10:08 AM
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 seems like it may be compatible with your taste as well.
Yeah, this was the decision I had to make. I played the first on GBA and liked it, but wasn't hooked. Wifi is always a draw for me, though.

chess
10-23-06, 11:20 AM

Beg to differ.

JimmySRU
10-23-06, 12:59 PM
I finally beat the New Super Mario Bros yesterday any recommendations

CreatureX
10-23-06, 01:39 PM
Thank you ToysRUs for the great deal! Here is the DS goodness I picked up:

$29.99 games:
Clubhouse Games (last one in stock!)
Mario vs. DK 2
Starfox Command

$19.99 games: