Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

HELP! XBLA problem please advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HELP! XBLA problem please advise

Alright, I personally do not have broadband access at home but was able to go to a buddy's house yesterday and took my hard drive and signed up to a Silver mebership,etc. I downloaded the Lost Planet demo and love it. To my problem, I purchsed some points and downloaded 3 full Arcade games(GW, Zuma and Marble Blast) from the marketplace but when I got home they acted exactly like some of the free trial modes that I downloaded of other arcade games where it states unlock full mode option. Please tell me that this could be as simple as getting to Xbox Live somewhere another time and just unlocking the 3 arcade games I bought or do you ALWAYS need to be online to play the FULL arcade games. I would think that these arcade games would act just like Hexic in that if you have it downloaded to your hard drive you could play them like that but maybe not?

Any responses today would be apprecaited while I am still at a location online for the 360. Otherwise I fear that I am going to try an get a refund somehow from Microsoft of the games I purchased and wait for these retail versions they are talking about releasing. Thanks
Old 06-25-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I finally got off with tech support after about an hour and apparently I may be screwed. A warning to anyone else, if you are ever initially setting up your live account never do it from someone else's console. Even though it was MY hard drive they say it gets encrypted or something like that as being on that console. Apparently this is an issue they ran into with people getting new/replaced consoles if their's broke down and their hard drive or something like that. Let this be a lesson to everyone else unless you have any ideas. Their solution was they said they can TRY and get me new points and I now have an additional LIVE account that I set up today through my console with my hard drive. I can't see how they cannot just CANCEL my purchase in my account on LIVE, and then refund my credit card, but we will see as they are LOOKING into it for me. JOY
Old 06-26-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that Xbox live aracde games were attached to gamertags. So if you downloaded them under your gamertag, then you should be able to download them again as long as it's under the same gamertag. I guess that's not so true.
Old 06-27-06, 07:57 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you get an XBLA game, it's tied to both the original console you bought it on, and to the gamertag you bought it with (the latter needs to be logged onto live for verification purposes.) Either one of those will allow you play, you don't have to have both. They do warn you about that when you do the purchases as I recall... Next time if you plan on buying full games, bring your whole console over, not just the hard drive. Then you'll be golden, and won't have to log into live.
Old 06-28-06, 12:34 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm in the same boat. I'm on my fourth system (the first one had freezing issues, the second kept giving me disc read errors with new games and my third one gave me the three red lights of death the other day,) and I downloaded three of my XBLA games (I only have four) with my second system. So, I need to be logged onto LIVE in order to play any of them, unless I want to play trials.

Normally, it wouldn't be that annoying, but I don't always have my system connected to LIVE. I don't feel like spending $200 for a router and the wireless network adaptor, so I just connect my modem directly to my console whenever I want to play online. It's a pain to always have to connect/disconnect it, but it's better than being out $200.
Old 06-28-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're already hard-wiring the connection, why not just buy a simple, non-wireless router?
Old 06-28-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
I'm in the same boat. I'm on my fourth system (the first one had freezing issues, the second kept giving me disc read errors with new games and my third one gave me the three red lights of death the other day,) and I downloaded three of my XBLA games (I only have four) with my second system. So, I need to be logged onto LIVE in order to play any of them, unless I want to play trials.

Normally, it wouldn't be that annoying, but I don't always have my system connected to LIVE. I don't feel like spending $200 for a router and the wireless network adaptor, so I just connect my modem directly to my console whenever I want to play online. It's a pain to always have to connect/disconnect it, but it's better than being out $200.
Wireless-less (aka "regular") routers can be had for $20.
Old 06-28-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Wireless-less (aka "regular") routers can be had for $20.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as I read his post. It seems to me the router is "cheap" part of the equation.
Old 06-28-06, 03:24 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The cheapest quality router I've been able to find around here was a $60 D-Link (wireless) router. I never thought about just getting a router, though...as I figured I'd need to get both a router and the adapter.
Old 06-28-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
The cheapest quality router I've been able to find around here was a $60 D-Link (wireless) router. I never thought about just getting a router, though...as I figured I'd need to get both a router and the adapter.
Nah, if you don't care to go wireless you could get a wired router. It sounds like you don't really need to as your Xbox & PC are close enough to your modem to switch on the fly. But it'd be up to you what price the convience of having both connected constantly without needing to switch is.

Here's a by-price listing of Newegg's wired routers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=28

This D-Link jumps out at me for $25 after $10 rebate with free 3-day shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127013
Old 06-28-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To those of you that responded, thanks fellas. Yeah, I got a call back and the supervisor left a voicemail in essence to what Chops stated about the purchasing. However what I am upset about is that he stated that it actually had to do with the fact that my initial set-up of my live account is what caused the problem in the first place. He said that when you first sign up is when a "stamp" occurs with the hard drive and the serial number that it is attatched to or something like that. This is what perturbs me that I feel should be a warning right off the bat that asks something in line with "Please make sure that the hard drive is attatched to the primary console that it will always be used with before actually even signing up for your live account." Their of course is one for when you buy the arcade games but not for this. So the guy pretty much gave me the old "your're out your $25 and have a nice day speech, I cannot do anything for you." I personally find this hard to believe, but that is a company business for you ensuring they make their money hiding behind a warning instead of trying to come to some compromise.

Any chance does anyone have any e-mail addresses to higher ups in Microsoft that I can possibly send a plea to?

Personally I thought the idea this guy had of me setting up a whole new gamertag on my HD/console when I had it at my in-laws and he would "try" and see if he could get me some new gamerpoints to purchase the games on that one sounded like a plan. However the more I think about it, it was him just trying to get my hopes up and at the same time getting me off the phone for that day. One would think with their system capabilities they could figure someway to change registration of serial numbers and whatnot, but probably not for something as small as my hard-earned $25 Thank's for letting me rant guys.
Old 06-29-06, 01:57 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any compensation from Microsoft. It figures.