Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Poster framing cheap?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Poster framing cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poster framing cheap?

---

Last edited by DVD King; 01-16-08 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Get matting in a size that would allow it to fit in a standard size frame.
Old 06-23-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO there is no such thing as cheap framing. A standard movie poster is 27x41. I have bought frames from both Walmart and Ikea and I just either carefully trim the poster (they are reproductions anyway) or I fold the poster to fit the frame.
Old 06-23-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea for a thread. It seems most posters store bought are about 23 x 35 and the frames they sell are 24 x 36. My King Kong poster doesn't look as good framed since you can see the cardboard backing around it. I think the frame was about $10, compared to about $4 for the poster.
Old 06-23-06, 01:21 PM

For those that don't already know, Michael's, the arts and crafts store, does professional framing. Every few weeks or so they have a coupon for 50% off your entire framing order that they put in the Sunday newspaper ad. Not too bad of a coupon, but their prices are high to begin with.

I do all my professional framing at Framestore, not sure if it's local or national. They also do 50% off their normal high prices, plus another $20 off. They do a great job, but to get 1 small and 2 large posters framed I dropped around $350 I think. Looks nice though.
Old 06-23-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Check out the IKEA store - they've got a 27X41 frame that should accommodate the 28x40 nicely.

Metal with plexi, about $20 total.
Old 06-23-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
IMHO there is no such thing as cheap framing. A standard movie poster is 27x41. I have bought frames from both Walmart and Ikea and I just either carefully trim the poster (they are reproductions anyway) or I fold the poster to fit the frame.
You certain? I've been thinking of getting a couple and thought 27x40 was the standard size.
Old 06-23-06, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by DVD King
Ouch... no thanks. The art print I bought isn't of stellar quality to begin with so it'd be nice if I could just find a cheap alluminum frame with a protective layer.
Ok, yeah, the ones I had done are painted custom made wood frames w/ matting and all that. I know there are people on ebay that make custom sized wood frames through their ebay stores (I've had them done for diplomas), maybe there are some that do poster frames?
Old 06-23-06, 09:50 PM
Cool New Member

I've dealt with www.hollywoodposterframes.com several times in the past to get some older movie posters and original comic book art framed. I usually went with their higher end frames, but they do have an economy frame that (if I'm reading the website right) can be ordered in custom sizes.

I'd highly recommend the store, as I've had nothing but positive experiences from them...
Old 06-28-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Easy
You certain? I've been thinking of getting a couple and thought 27x40 was the standard size.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised by that as well, I've got over a hundred original posters, and aside from the oddball that is 27x41, probably 95% of them are 27x40.

But for framing, I usually grab the Walmart frame for 27x40 frames, they're about 17.96 or so. But for custom posters, I HIGHLY recommend FramesbyMail.com. I've used them on over a dozen orders, and they have come through every time. They send you the pieces and you put them together, but it's extremely easy assembly and they look tremendous. It's completely user driven sizes, and they take good care of the material in shipping. The only thing is they can't ship glass, so plexiglass is what I use with them, but they still look outstanding to me.
Old 06-28-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
Yeah, I'm a little surprised by that as well, I've got over a hundred original posters, and aside from the oddball that is 27x41, probably 95% of them are 27x40.
I found this site enlightening.
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.co...S/onesheet.asp
This is what they say about the one sheet size:
The most widely used movie art is the one sheet. Up until approximately 1984, the one sheet measured 27" x 41" (normally with a border). Since the mid 1980’s, some one-sheets measure 27" x 40" (normally without a border). They are normally printed on paper and displayed in a marquee case.
I have been to a couple of Wal-Marts and found no frames that size. I assume for that price they are plastic? Michael's (craft store) had some semi decent poster frames on sale this week, but they are plastic. I'm holding out for metal/plexi at a reasonable price.
Old 06-28-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, plastic at Walmart. As long as they're not scratched they frame pretty nice, but in reality they're basically just keeping the posters in good shape until I can afford to get them professionally framed.