Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent - 6/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-22-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone check this out last night? I was expecting more of an updated version of Gong Show than anything based on the commercials. There were actually a lot of really good acts on it, not as cheesy as I was expecting. They seemed to let way too many people go on to the "next round". Like the first juggler that kept dropping everything, the stripping old guy, the 8 year old comic, etc. Whats even the point of sending them through?

I also wasn't too keen on the straight up singers. Sure, they have talent, but that's too easy, go audition for American Idol if you want to sing. I'm tired of hearing singing. I'd rather they just stuck to unique acts.
Old 06-22-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This show was painful to watch for me.. TOTAL and 100% CHEESE.. Hasselhoff is the gayest guy out there.. The fact that he thinks he's Joe Cool puts the show over the edge for me..

What bums me out is that this could be a cool show.. If they got judges that aren't so lame, had contestants that weren't so stupid (70 yr old stripper, juggler who can't juggle, 70 yr old singer, etc)..
Old 06-22-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was surprisingly entertained. Syd the Kid was funnier than 90% of Last Comic Standing. As for the singers, I didn't think they were that good, but I believe they were outside the age ranges of what American Idol will allow (14, 65, 73, etc), so that's probably why they were there.

I thought it was pathetic that they passed that first juggler through. He juggled 3 knifes for a minute after semi-juggling pins and balls. La-dee-frickin'-da. I can do that. Most jugglers can do that. Then they try to get rid of Ivan Pecel, arguably one of the top 5 competitive jugglers on the planet, just as he's doing tricks with 5 balls and I assume about to move to 7.

I'm not sure I get the "next round" concept, though. It seemed like 80% of the people made it through. Are we going to have to sit through the same acts again in a few weeks?

das
Old 06-22-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't think the 2nd juggler was as good as the 3rd one. If he's that good, he should've put more effort into impressing the judges instead of telling them 'do you know who I am?'
Old 06-22-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Holy Cow was udderly disgusting at times.
Old 06-22-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Syd the Kid has some excellent comic timing. She will be famous someday. Her material wasn't that funny, but it was all in the delivery.

I agree with das that I was surprisingly entertained by the show. I guess my standards are just lower in the summer, but I will keep on watching.
Old 06-22-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Only really enjoyed 3 acts...

The Asian guys doing the a capella stuff at the beginning
The guy in white doing the handstand dance
The ventriloquist with the 2 puppets doing the Godzilla movie riff
Old 06-22-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

this show sucked big fat ones
Old 06-22-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the guy and his dogs...one dog came out dressed as a scuba diver and right behind him was another dog dressed as a shark! Comic genius
Old 06-22-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Then they try to get rid of Ivan Pecel, arguably one of the top 5 competitive jugglers on the planet, just as he's doing tricks with 5 balls and I assume about to move to 7.

das
We really need the Earth Juggling Council to get off their asses and come together with a plan to officially rank all jugglers, so we can stop having these arguments.
Old 06-22-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this was way too cheesy for my taste. The acts weren't that bad but the judges and the overall concept are horrible. Am I supposed to believe that the 90 yr old stripper has a chance at winning the million dollars?
Old 06-22-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When they asked the bicycle horn guy how long he had been doing this, he replied, "About a year and a half". I added, "after I saw this French dude doing this on the internet. So I copied his act, his music selection and his orange jumpsuit."
http://www.break.com/index/themaestro.html
Old 06-22-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The asian group is going to win. They were fantastic. I noticed that the first few acts were either good or interesting to get you hooked. About an hour in I cut if off. Got to be way too cheesy. There were too man placed acts. The group that didn't even get to do anything before they were all X'ed out was so placed.
Old 06-22-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BDLOU
I thought this was way too cheesy for my taste. The acts weren't that bad but the judges and the overall concept are horrible. Am I supposed to believe that the 90 yr old stripper has a chance at winning the million dollars?
I thought it wasn't cheesy enough. Too much Star Search, not enough Gong Show. It was ok for what it was, but the judges are annoying. They need to tell them to quit hitting each other's buzzers all the time, and if they buzz someone out, they shouldn't let them through to the next round. You don't gong someone and then vote on if they stay. You kick them off the stage!
Old 06-22-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was hilarious how Brandy took over the show and started bossing everyone around like anyone gives a shit what she thinks about anything.

das
Old 06-22-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should have just gone all out Gong Show rather than trying to mix it with an American Idol-ish "competition" that makes zero sense. How can you compare a singing group with trampoline basketball act? Plus, the judges were just annoying as hell. One minute, they were judging as if it were a serious competition and the next they were acting like it was all a big joke. I liked the acts, but having to listen to these idiots (especially Jackemoff) give their "expert critiques" was just painful. Good idea. Bad execution.
Old 06-22-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was hilarious how Brandy took over the show and started bossing everyone around like anyone gives a shit what she thinks about anything.

das
I loved when the Divine lookalike started calling her "Moesha".

Last edited by Jadzia; 06-23-06 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-23-06, 07:49 AM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
Worst. Judges. Ever.

But it's a trainwreck. I have to watch!

Is it just me or have they green-screened Regis into his parts. It's almost like he's not really there.
Old 06-23-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Worst. Judges. Ever.

But it's a trainwreck. I have to watch!

Is it just me or have they green-screened Regis into his parts. It's almost like he's not really there.
BTW, about Brandy, she morphed into Randy Jackson during the show from her "we got a hot one" to "you did your thing", and numerous other RJ catchphrases.

That British guy, aside from being a total asshole who desperately wants to be Simon Cowell, disgusted me to the point of nausea.
Old 06-23-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
BTW, about Brandy, she morphed into Randy Jackson during the show from her "we got a hot one" to "you did your thing", and numerous other RJ catchphrases.

That British guy, aside from being a total asshole who desperately wants to be Simon Cowell, disgusted me to the point of nausea.

In the first Idol show (in England) he was casted as the Simon Cowell part (big dick). But Simon ended up being more of a dick and became more famous
Old 06-24-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

das
I think she was only bossing people around because she didn't want to vote against anyone. Did you notice that almost every time there was an act to be voted out that she would make the other judges vote first? Then, after they voted no, she wouldn't put her 2 cents in, she would just say, "Sorry, you didn't make it." I think she is trying really hard to be the nice one that everybody likes.
Old 06-25-06, 12:33 AM

I wasn't really impressed, but I couldn't stop watching it either.

And I agree, they were sending everybody through.

Was anybody else REALLY amused by David Hasselhoff wanting to keep watching the stripper, though? And liking the Bouffant Sisters?
Old 06-25-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
The only part I caught was where Hasselhoff was getting into a pissing match with a juggler and the audience. After seeing what kind of a prick he was, I gave up on the show. From the way it sounds, I won't be going back.
Old 06-25-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dont see the point in the buzzers if you are allowed to reach over and hit someone elses buzzer. That annoyed me.
Old 06-25-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched about 5 min of this before I was wanted to reach into the TV and punch Brandy in her butt-ugly face. She annoys me more than that Beyonce p.o.s.

So you have the British prick, the black yo-judge, and the has-been celeb. Just like AI.

magicmom: I agree - what's the point when Brandy can just reach over and hit the buzzers. Why even have other judges?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.