Worst 5.1 Remixes

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Worst 5.1 Remixes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 09:33 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worst 5.1 Remixes

What are some 5.1 remixes that should be strictly avoided; the kind that dramatically alter the original mono or 2-channel stereo soundscape, instead of simply enhancing it? From my own personal experience, I would say:

DUEL (chief sin: deletes the dinosaur roar from the final crash)
JAWS (chief sin: alters many of the original, Oscar-winning sound effects)
THE TERMINATOR (chief sin: deletes the chilling knife-scraping sound during the opening credits)

Some will say Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO but, to be honest, that one doesn't bother me as much. What are some others that should only be listened to in the original audio format? *

* = And to you purists who would say "all of them", I understand how you feel, but let's try to get in the spirit of the question, shall we?
Old 06-21-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was watching dirty harry today, and boy that 5.1 mix sucks. granted its not as bad as others, but still. you have the old school magnum 45 sound mixed in with all of these new effects that doesn't really match (just watch the opening action scene)
Old 06-22-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't care for the old 5.1 remix of Gone with the Wind. The new one on the 4-disc SE is a lot better, even if I prefer the mono mix for the film.
Old 06-22-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented Hellbound: Hellraiser II on VHS one time for a video art class.

I noticed when the Channard Cenobite disconnects the chains from his flesh, the sounds of knives extending from the tentacles can't be heard, and that pissed me off.
Old 06-22-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The Good the Bad and the Ugly makes me ill. I will probably never be able to sit through that version of it again because of the awful sound effects in the 5.1 remix.

I would have to say most 5.1 remixes of mono films are mediocre to awful.
Old 06-22-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Terminator is likely the worst just because of all the new sound effects. The absence of the mono track on the Blu-Ray version is likely to make me stick with the DVD for the forseeable future.
Old 06-22-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Andrei Trarkovsky's Stalker

Not only does it sound hollow compared to the mono mix, but has has also been altered with extra musical cues.
Old 06-22-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doughboy
The Terminator is likely the worst just because of all the new sound effects. The absence of the mono track on the Blu-Ray version is likely to make me stick with the DVD for the forseeable future.
Old 06-22-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't heard it but by reputation the Anchor Bay Suspiria. It's a completely new remix from the original stems and supposedly drops or mis-times a number of sound effects and lines, and dramatically reduces the relative volume of the music (which in the original was noted for being LOUD).

The original 4.0 mix is not present on the DVD; the stereo track listed is a downmix of the new 5.1 track.
Old 06-22-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I haven't heard it but by reputation the Anchor Bay Suspiria. It's a completely new remix from the original stems and supposedly drops or mis-times a number of sound effects and lines, and dramatically reduces the relative volume of the music (which in the original was noted for being LOUD).

The original 4.0 mix is not present on the DVD; the stereo track listed is a downmix of the new 5.1 track.
I always thought Suspiria had a great 5.1, especially DTS.

I third Terminator.
Old 06-22-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One dvd I own of 1492: Conquest Of Paradise. The sound is muffled and out of place at times and it takes away from one of cinema's finer scores ever composed. That is why a region 1 release one day is a necessity.
Old 06-22-06, 11:56 AM

no one stated Godfather 1 ??
Old 06-22-06, 12:03 PM

I was trying to remember the other worthless 5.1 remix, and lo and behold, Universal reminded which one it was by announcing a new DVD release for Scarface(why?!). The Anniversary Edition had DD and DTS 5.1 audio, but both sounded no better than a 2.0 track.
Old 06-22-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
The correct answer is A Hard Day's Night.

So, what do I win?
Old 06-22-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Tha Freak
no one stated Godfather 1 ??
I agree 110%! And include Part 2 while you're at it!

Listen to how fake it sounds when the actors speak and how horrible it sounds when Pacino yells in part 2 for example when he finds out the fate of his baby. It has a tin can echo quality too it and sounds highly unnatural.

Meanwhile in the original mono mixes,everything sounded natural and full of atmosphere,which is just sucked away in the remixes.

I refuse to get the films on dvd until they're available with their original mono mixes.

And Suspiria does have a highly botched remix. At first I thought it sounded 'good' since I didn't have anything to compare it too. But then when I caught it aired on IFC(R rated cut). I noticed the differences in sound levels and some cues missing entirely(the creepy breathing effect at the begining for example) from the dvd.
I then got the laserdisc to further compare with the dvd and the dvd sounds vastly inferior,that it does harm the film severely.

For example again in the opening murder sequence. Not only is the creepy breathing effect missing. But when the music begins during the woman peering out the window shot. It doesn't begin until much later in the mix than originally intended. Thus the intensity and dread is abit hampered by this screw up as well.

And I must say New Line and Fox are absolutely terrible when it comes to remixing mono films in basic stereo or 5.1(i have little experiance with other studio catalog titles,but most are similar and sounded inferior remixed). Pretty much all the problems evident in The Godfather mixes are in their mixes as well. And it just makes my ears bleed attempting to listen to them! So original audio is highly important and should be mandatory on all releases!
Old 06-22-06, 02:29 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
With the exception of the terrible silencer effect on the handguns (a prime example being the execution of the first Sarah Connor), I really liked the 5.1 remix of The Terminator, especially the shoot-out in Tech Noir.

Other than that, I was rather unhappy with the 5.1 remixes on the Star Trek films I-VI.
Old 06-22-06, 02:40 PM

I don't have specific titles, but for me a bad remix consists of two elements -

- Dialogue is still slightly present in the front stereo channels, making it sound like a Pro Logic upmix

-Music in the surrounds is in mono, when there's really no need for that - if they can restore the music mix without the effects, why not make it stereo for the rears? BATMAN (89) is a good example of this one.
Old 06-22-06, 03:47 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Vipper II
Other than that, I was rather unhappy with the 5.1 remixes on the Star Trek films I-VI.
When the Bird-of-Prey decloaks for the first time in ST III, you have a problem with that?
Old 06-22-06, 04:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Really? I thought those were pretty good. WOK can be a little tinny in the dialogue and music, but it's not bad. III and VI sound great, which makes sense because VI was a 5.1 mix from the start.
Old 06-22-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
And I must say New Line and Fox are absolutely terrible when it comes to remixing mono films in basic stereo or 5.1
Fox's stereo remix of The Day the Earth Stood Still is horrendous. If you leave ProLogic decoding on in your receiver, most of the dialogue matrixes to the rear speakers. It's awful. Fortunately, the DVD also contains the mono track, which sounds much better.
Old 06-22-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Wars Ep IV takes the cake for me, reversed rear speakers, inconsistent dialogue recordings, and drowned-out music.

As for good 5.1 remixes, I enjoyed Superman the Movie (although it did get a bit too loud at times), Indiana Jones Trilogy, and The Exorcist.
Old 06-22-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey ruins a scene with panned dialogue, when they're both outside proposing to the girls. The laserdisc pans the dialogue left to right, and they're separated in the shot that shows them both, but the DVD keeps all the dialogue in the center. Usually unless it's a movie I absolutely MUST have, I won't buy any DVD with an altered sound mix.

I actually thought the remix of The Terminator was OK for what it was, but I still prefer the mono track and wouldn't have bought that if it hadn't been included.
Old 06-22-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Transformers: The Movie. No question.
Old 06-22-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts
This is a depressing thread. I thought the remix on ANASTASIA was awful. And, of course, the original mono track is nowhere to be found. Agreed also on DUEL, and TERMINATOR. Thank God we now have original mono on VERTIGO.

Does someone have a list of those DVDs which have been released with REMIXED 5.1 tracks ONLY, without the original mono tracks? Hopefully the number of titles is few, but I wanted to know which ones to look out for (and, avoid, until original mono tracks are included!).
Old 06-22-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is the mono mix on the duel dvd? i haven't watched it in years, and now would like to, since i sold it for lots of money. (i bought it when amazon didn't take orders down after the infamous recall.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.