TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Corey's To Get Their Own Sitcom

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Coreys To Get Their Own Sitcom

http://www.eonline.com/News/index.html?fdnavnews

Call it a Dream a Little Dream come true for fans of 1980s teen cinema. Or connoisseurs of 21st century celebrity curios.

Corey Feldman and Corey Haim, who in their prime Tiger Beat years costarred in three movies together, are being reunited for a proposed comedy series, Daily Variety reported Wednesday.

Although Feldman and Haim are best known collectively as "The Two Coreys," their new TV venture simply would be called The Coreys.

The show doesn't yet have a network home. The Variety article seemed designed to drum up interest in such a home being found--it noted that producers, the same people behind ABC's Wife Swap and the WB's Survival of the Richest, will begin peddling The Coreys on Thursday.

Speaking to Variety, RDF USA executive Greg Goldman teased that Feldman and Haim possess a chemistry that "just pops off the screen."

The Coreys would find the Coreys playing fictionalized versions of themselves, presumably because it would be funnier and less sad that way. Feldman would play Corey Feldman, married father of one son; Haim would play Corey Haim, single man. While both play those roles in real life, too, the TV show would ratchet up the comedy in the situation by having Haim, as Variety put it, "[shake] life up for the Feldmans."

Feldman and Haim, both 34, last teamed up, per IMDb.com, for two recent episodes of the Cartoon Network series, Robot Chicken. They also both appeared in the cameo-laden 2003 David Spade film, Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star.

A feathered-hair generation ago, Feldman and Haim earned their "Two Coreys" title in The Lost Boys, License to Drive and Dream a Little Dream. Later, and to lesser acclaim, they costarred in Busted (directed by Feldman), Blown Away, National Lampoon's Last Resort and Dream a Little Dream 2. Not one of those films, all made in the 1990s, were released in theaters.

While both Feldman and Haim have struggled to recapture the careers they had in the 1980s, Haim has just plain struggled, with drugs, with finances, with eBay regulations (in 2001, the site pulled an auction by the actor in which he was selling off one of his molars).

Last March, London's Daily Star quoted a "close pal" of Haim as saying the former idol was "clean and sober and ready to put his life in perspective." As such, the paper said, Haim was planning to write a tell-all about an affair he had with U.K. tab magnet Victoria Beckham during her Posh Spice/Spice Girls phase.

Feldman, meanwhile, has dabbled in music, renounced childhood friend Michael Jackson, and amassed more than 100 IMDb.com TV and film credits, many of them recent. Often, he appears as himself (see: The Surreal Life); at least once, he appeared as Store Clerk (see: Serial Killing 4 Dummys).

I'd watch it.

Last edited by SPiRAL; 06-22-06 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"And that's what life would be like if we had the 'Corey Plane' and 'Corey Bus'."

I've been dying to use that quote.

Two roles on "Robot Chicken"? what was the 2nd one?
Old 06-21-06, 08:23 PM
Banned

A tell-all book? Glad to see that Haim's such an upstanding citizen now.

This sitcom is going to crash and burn hard if it's even picked up. Has anyone learned anything from the Freddie Prinze Jr. and Brian Austen Green buddy sitcom?
Old 06-21-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Two roles on "Robot Chicken"? what was the 2nd one?
The only times I can remember Feldman on Robot Chicken was with the Coreys skit and the Surreal Life/Lord of the Rings parody.
Old 06-22-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As long as it's a regular show and not a faux-documentary style show, I'll watch. I've always had a soft spot for those two lugs.
Old 06-22-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh my.... its corey haim always high.... this might be good
Old 06-22-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Legolas

This sitcom is going to crash and burn hard if it's even picked up. Has anyone learned anything from the Freddie Prinze Jr. and Brian Austen Green buddy sitcom?
I'm not saying I watch it or anything, but aren't the ratings for Freddie pretty good?
Old 06-22-06, 09:19 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a huge fan of License to Drive and The Lost Boys, so I'll give it a shot. Haim has put on weight and generally looks like crap (largely due to drugs), though, and is barely recognizable. I wonder how he'll look for this gig.
Old 06-22-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Kind of sad about Haim. He grew up not far from where I live, and had a lot of promise early in his career. I remember Ebert writing in his review of Lucas something like "this kid could go on to great things". Pity.
Old 06-22-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not too late for Haim. He's still a young man. Lots of actors have conquered addictions and gone on to good careers.
Old 06-23-06, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
^True, but it has been so long, and one wonders how many bridges he burned. I also don't know if a sitcom is the right choice for a re-entry, since it could lead either to cancellation and a quick trip back into oblivion, or exactly the kind of excess that got him in trouble in the '80s. Best bet might be to start in on a series of independent film projects, that is if anyone is biting.
Unfortunate for Feldman too. He seems like an intelligent, nice, level-headed sort (other than the Michael Jackson connection), and now he is consigned to some has-been celebrity "reality" detritus, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know much of their collective backstory, but I suspect things started going downhill about the time of the "Stand by Me" shoot. One of the things I have heard Feldman say is that local kids introduced the actors to dope, a habit he probably handed on to Haim when they met and partied hard together.
Old 06-23-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd watch it. If the writers of the show do their job right, it could be kinda funny
Old 06-23-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
I'm not saying I watch it or anything, but aren't the ratings for Freddie pretty good?
Not enough to keep it from dropped from ABC's schedule.
Old 06-23-06, 03:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming this is going to be a fictionalized reality, in the vein of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fat Actress, or So NoTORIous
Old 06-23-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm assuming this is going to be a fictionalized reality, in the vein of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fat Actress, or So NoTORIous
If this line from the article is any indication:

The Coreys would find the Coreys playing fictionalized versions of themselves...

Then yes.
Old 10-02-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas

HEY! Freddie was an awesome show
Old 10-11-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is this show on TV yet? If so, what's it called? "Big Fat Loser" is already taken, and so is "Vanished."

In the weeks to come, I'm sure "Vanished" will be kind of apt, however.
Old 10-11-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It'll be off the air in three episodes, but I'd watch it.