Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fearmongers: New series set to rival Masters of Horror

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Fearmongers: New series set to rival Masters of Horror

I don't remember seeing anything on this on here, so I thought I would put it up. Maybe no one has put it up because they haven't named the cable channel that will be airing them, but it's the summer and not too much TV news, so even if this series might be a little ways off, I thought it was worth making a thread for it. If it's too early, a repeat of another thread or some other problem, mods can feel free to delete it.

I think it sounds interesting, but then again, I said the same thing about Masters of Horror. Let's see if the new series will supply the splatter that was in short supply in MofH.

You can go here to see the article on the original Web site: http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6275

June 12: Indie horrormeisters uniting for FEARMONGERS

Ryan Nicholson, the Flesh & Fantasy FX honcho who just made his directorial debut on LIVE FEED, gave Fango the scoop on FEARMONGERS, a multimovie project on which he plans to collaborate with a number of other independent fright filmmakers. Nicholson (pictured at right on the LIVE FEED set), who co-created the series with Nick (MURDER-SET-PIECES) Palumbo, tells Fango that FEARMONGERS “will rival Showtime’s MASTERS OF HORROR in not only content but production value. If Showtime had a problem with Takashi Miike’s IMPRINT, every episode we do will go above and beyond that level of mayhem.

“We feel there’s an audience that wants to see what the ‘new Masters of Horror’ are up to,” Nicholson continues. “We’d love to get guys like Rob Zombie and Eli Roth, but they’ve moved out from the underground and are household names now. Nick and I will each write and direct one-hour episodes, and we’ve also already attached Douglas Buck of the SISTERS remake. We’re in talks with a few other infamous cult ‘fearmongers’ to join us in the madness. Each episode will be shot and produced in Vancouver, Canada; we’ll be shooting on film to match the quality of MASTERS OF HORROR, but our subject matter and themes will be more extreme. We’re in talks with a major cable network for the hard R-rated versions, but the DVDs will be released in fully uncut versions as well as the Rs.”

Flesh & Fantasy will create the makeup FX for all 13 planned segments, with Nicholson and co. targeting a late summer/early fall start date. First up will be Nicholson’s THE CASTING COUCH, “and you can expect the red stuff to leave stains!” Nicholson says. “It’s about two brothers ŕ la DEAD RINGERS who audition intense sex and violence scenes with willing participants—until they take it a little too far with a not-so-willing young actress, who sets up a bloody casting call of her own.” Look for more on this project in the near future. —Michael Gingold
Old 06-21-06, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not going to take much to rival and/or top the quality of the first season of Masters of Horrors.
Old 06-21-06, 09:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More info:

June 19: Shocker veterans join FEARMONGERS

We broke the news here about FEARMONGERS, the 13-movie package designed to showcase directors from the down-and-dirty independent side of the horror scene, and now creator/producers Nick (MURDER-SET-PIECES) Palumbo and Ryan (LIVE FEED) Nicholson have given us the scoop on the talent lineup involved. “The directors we have been able to assemble are quite a group!” Palumbo tells us. In addition to themselves, “so far we’ve attached Douglas [SISTERS remake] Buck, Jeff [SATAN’S LITTLE HELPER] Lieberman, Dante [SATAN’S PLAYGROUND] Tomaselli, Jim [THE MANSON FAMILY] VanBebber, Roger [LAST HOUSE ON DEAD END STREET] Watkins, David [CHAOS] DeFalco, Sage Stallone [the well-received short film VIC] and Chris [HORROR BUSINESS] Garetano, with more directors to come.” Nicholson adds, “We should have the final three by week’s end. This is going to be incredible!” Keep your eyes here for more updates as soon as we get ’em. —Michael Gingold
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6322

----------------------------------

Sounds interesting. Can't say I've heard of any of those directors, except knowing Sage Stallone is Sylvester's son. I hate the show's name, though. I guess I just hate any word with 'monger' in it.

On the up side this could shine the light on some up and coming filmmakers doing quality low budget horror without boundaries. On the down side we could end up with amateurish productions that's equivalent to your average made-for-video dreck.

I do wonder where this would air. Assuming Showtime/TMC won't air it (not just because they have MoH but because of the Imprint comment) that leaves HBO/Cinemax and Starz/Encore as the only channels that could even think about airing this uncensored. I can't see Starz getting into this. And HBO will only pick it up if there's a certain level of quality.
Old 06-21-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
If they don't know what network they're going to air on before they get to work then this show might be in a bit of trouble. They might ought to think of showing what they have before they talk about rivaling MOH. Most of those directors and their movies aren't really worth the time it takes to watch them. I did enjoy Satan's Little Helper but we'll see if that director can score again.
Old 06-24-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
^^^ I don't think Masters of Horror had a network attached to it when they first started making them. They were planning on just releasing it to DVD. So who knows? But I was also trying to figure out who would be able to air these episodes. Maybe IFC or Sundance Channel even?