Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Wolfmother...

Old 06-20-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wolfmother...

...answering the question: "what would happen if Jack White fronted Black Sabbath?"

These guys are almost unbelievably derivative, but I really like this album. Every song is basically cribbed from "Master of Reality" or "Physical Graffiti" and there's heavy doses of Deep Purple and Boston lurking in the mix. Also, with titles like "White Unicorn" and swirling analogue synths, they're really pushing all of the cliche buttons...and it sounds good. Maybe it's because they actually have chops. This is my new official running album.

Last edited by Hiro11; 06-26-06 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-20-06, 08:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
of course the night they performed at the Black Cat here in DC, I happen to get sick and couldn't make the (sold out) show.

Dig the album BTW.
Old 06-20-06, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The album's so damn awesome.
Old 06-20-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have been enjoying the Wolfmother album for a few months ago. Definitely Sabbath meets Zeppelin on the surface.

And Hiro. Your sig references the original Mulligan's in my current place off residence, Decatur, GA. The "Luther" is not as decadent as you'd believe. Donut is grilled, almost burnt, and the burger is small. The Hamdog is a little more so, but not as bad as the wikipedia article's picture of it. Bar is a dive with amazing drink prices, which is enough to get me to keep going back there.
Old 06-20-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm listening to sHeavy right now.

As Sabbath as they can possibly be without actually being Sabbath.
Old 06-20-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm dying to hear the full CD, waiting for my reserve at the library ...

If THE SWORD ever gets half the success that this band has I'll be a happy man.
Old 06-20-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I saw them on Conan and I dug them. I haven't heard any other stuff though.
Old 06-21-06, 08:52 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Gave this CD a spin the other day and really liked it.
Old 06-25-06, 08:37 PM

Loving the album...great music, slightly under produced giving them that fuzzy kind of raw sound, and my only criticisms would be work on the shallow/juvenile lyrics and find their niche by doing classic rock with out copying the legends with putting some flute or mimicing some riffs to make their sound more original. Otherwise it Rocks!
Old 06-26-06, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I finally head their single on the radio the other day. It was one of those times where I didn't know who it was while the song was on(DJ didn't announce it until after the song). But from the descriptions I'd read here, I knew exactly who it was. Sabbath meets Zeppelin is a perfect description.

It wasn't bad. I wouldn't mind checking out more stuff.
Old 06-26-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My new favorite CD. Yeah its a throwback and a copy of old 70's rock and metal, but damn is it good.
Old 06-26-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i heard the song today as well on the radio (dj did mention the song and artist), sounded really good, and i actually thought it was led zeppelin (regarding the singer at least)
Old 06-26-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up the album today and have to say that I love it so far, even with all the 70's rock cliches thrown throughout it.
Old 06-27-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

jack white? the singer sounds nothing like jack white. great band though. my 45yr old stepdad who is a huge zep fan loves them. i got their old demos the other day from oink...great stuff also.
Old 06-28-06, 05:30 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by chino77
jack white? the singer sounds nothing like jack white. great band though.
I thought he sounded like Billy Squier the first time I heard them. Go figure
Old 07-01-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! They are fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion. I am really digging them.
Old 07-02-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
No offense guys but........I just sampled the album online and laughed my ass off funny stuff.
Old 07-02-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Just played the samples on iTunes, pretty cool. Nice to see stoner rock getting some props.
Old 07-02-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
A nice response to the 80's nu-wave trend
Old 07-02-06, 05:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

I recently came across a shortlived band from the mid 1970s - formed by ex-Yardbirds vocalist Keith Relf - who released just the one self-titled album: Armageddon. Here is what is says about them various places online:
Armageddon's one and only album was released on A&M in 1975. It has since become hailed as a classic. Critics raved over its often eerie and sometimes freaky mixture of hard rock and melodic Sixties psychedelia. Long and exciting compositions like 'Basking In The White Of The Midnight Sun' mixed rock, jazz, blues and even classical influences.
The first listen to the album convinced me that what I had read was true, that Keith Relf was an eccentric genius with a penchant for the dramatic. I also remember thinking that there was not a single wasted moment on the whole record. In the twenty-six years since, my opinion has changed little: Armageddon stands today as one of the finest hard rock albums and, perhaps, as the seminal progressive metal album of all time.

Although not so much metal as hard rock, Armageddon's music was as hard-hitting as any of their mid-70s peers. Built around punchy blues-based rock, Armageddon incorporated off-kilter time signatures, startling dynamics, spiritual themes, and effects-laden production into their lengthy compositions. (While short by most progressive standards, four of the five songs exceeded eight minutes in length). The musicianship was beyond reproach: Keith Relf (Yardbirds, Renaissance, Steamhammer) handling vocals and harmonica, Martin Pugh (Rod Stewart, Steamhammer) on guitars, Louis Cennamo (Renaissance, Steamhammer, and inventor of the electric bowed bass guitar) on basses, and Bobby Caldwell (Johnny Winter and Captain Beyond) on drums. Each member contributed to the writing and his own unique musical style to Armageddon's music, all of which meshed nicely to create a sound distinctly their own - violent and forceful, fully deserving of the name Armageddon.
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...s_/armageddon/
http://www.overstock.com/sm-armagedd..._ti-82124.html
Old 07-15-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
For those interesting in seeing them live, they were just added to the Saturday (Aug 4) lineup during Street Scene San Diego. Here's the line up:

Street Scene 2006
Old 07-23-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Got my tickets for their Sept 20 show at the Exit/In in Nashville....can't wait.
Old 07-23-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
I recently came across a shortlived band from the mid 1970s - formed by ex-Yardbirds vocalist Keith Relf - who released just the one self-titled album: Armageddon. Here is what is says about them various places online:

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...s_/armageddon/
http://www.overstock.com/sm-armagedd..._ti-82124.html

Now that sounds like something I could get into.
Old 08-28-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got Wolfmother's self-titled release too and think it's pretty sweet.

Also picked up Armageddon after stumbling upon it and then seeing the recommendation in this thread.

Finally, I took a chance and picked up Slow Train's "Song of the Day" CD here http://www.stonerrock.com/store/info...m_num=ATH-1675 and I think Wolfmother fans would probably dig it too. Very Zeppelineque and hard rockin'

-Gunshy
Old 11-11-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Ok, ok, I give all who posted in this thread permission to kick me square in the balls for my last comment.

I recently picked this CD up because a person can only listen to Nirvana & Pearl Jam for so long before they need a little change.

I saw this CD the other night at a local store and said "What the hell" and uh, It fucking rocks. I mean it rocks on damn near every song and I can't find one thing I don't like about it, in fact - they play so damn tight that I'm actually pissed that I can't find a fault here.

Yes, obviously they are influenced by the 70's but let me ask all of you this.......do you think they offer anything new in this format/style? I definitely think so - I think they took the sounds of past and made it their own, not easy to do and I don't think many really understand or appreciate it. I for one do.

Again, feel free to kick me in the nuts if you want.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.