Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ebay's Very Dubious Paypal Policy...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is the right forum for this (or even if there is a "right forum"), but here goes anyway...
I just received an email from ebay notifying me that all of my DVD auction listings had been removed because they were in violation of eBay's Paypal Payments policy due to containing the stipulation "Paypal is prefered method of payment, as long as payment is funded by bank account or existing paypal funds, and not by a credit card or debit card." I've been making this stipulation in my ebay auctions for many years, in order to avoid the fees that paypal charges for "business class" accounts.
At any rate, I was pretty shocked when all of my auctions were suddently simply canceled, with the explanation in the email from ebay simply informing me that "Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option in the listing process must accept all forms of PayPal payment, without restriction."
So is anyone else familiar with this policy? Frankly - and this is my big question - it doesn't even sound quite legal....

In any event, I would appreciate it if anybody has a toll free customer service number for ebay. Emailing them has usually turned into a nightmare. Thanks.
Old 06-15-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The bottom line with eBay is that if you take a form of payment, it has to be unlimited as to options. So you can't only take Paypal under certain circumstances, just Paypal period. eBay feels it's part of the cost of doing business with them. I have been warned before about exclusionary payment policies, but they did not end the auctions straight out.

What probably happened is that you were ratted out by a member upset with your preferences.

The nice thing about eBay is that the one think you CAN do is require your bidders to have a Paypal account. That's been the best chance to eBay in years, and my non-paying bidders have dropped to almost zero because of it.
Old 06-15-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gypo66
"Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option in the listing process must accept all forms of PayPal payment, without restriction."
So is anyone else familiar with this policy? Frankly - and this is my big question - it doesn't even sound quite legal....
This policy has been in effect for a long time, it's nothing new. Since eBay can't scrutinize each and every listing, it's only when something is brought to their attention that they take action - so probably some potential bidder made it known that you had a policy that was in violation of the terms of service.

As for the policy being legal - shouldn't you be asking if discriminating against some Paypal users is legal?

P.S. - I'am active Ebay seller (over 6 years, 1500 transactions) and realize that there is something called "the cost of doing business".
Old 06-15-06, 10:13 AM

What sort of PAYPAL account do you have? The Personal account does not charge fees but PAYPAL limits how much you can receive. If you exceed this limit you must have a Premier account, which charges fees but has, basically, no limit. I assume you have a Premier account. You must accept the PAYPAL rules that you agreed to and they say you must accept credit card backed payments. Look at this page describing Personal accounts http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...ge=_home&flow=. Also look at the Premier & Business page.
Old 06-15-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Personal account, which does not allow me to accept payments funded by credit card or debit card.
And that's the rub -- if paypal offers this tier of service, why does eBay make it basically impossible to use it? I know it all comes down to the eBay/Paypal monopoly simply wanting an ever bigger cut from their customer base, but, call me naive, it still drives me crazy.
Bottom line is I hate eBay, but they're the only game in town...
Old 06-15-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Simple wording change should make it OK.

Just say "I can only accept bank transfers through Paypal" - If you don't accept credit cards, don't even mention them. Your problem is that you mention credit cards and not accepting them - its like saying "Bomb" on an airplane. (thx to Mr. Focker)
Old 06-16-06, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the advice, chanster, but it seems unlikely to work. I've been in communication with various drones at eBay and paypal for the last day or so, and they have all made it very clear that a premier or business account is now absolutely the only way to accept paypal payments through ebay.
Between ebay and paypal (two faces of the same soulless entity), it looks like they'll soon be making over a dollar on every ten bucks I'm able to make...but, sadly, they're a monopoly, so I have no other real options...
Old 06-16-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gypo66
Between ebay and paypal (two faces of the same soulless entity), it looks like they'll soon be making over a dollar on every ten bucks I'm able to make...but, sadly, they're a monopoly, so I have no other real options...
No options? I'd go to Half or Amazon before ebay.
Old 06-16-06, 08:16 AM

Wasn't there a thread on this earlier in the week?

The bottom line is that you agreed to eBay's user agreement, and they inform you of upcoming changes well in advance. It's not eBay's fault you didn't read the update, they're just enforcing the rules.

Powersellers have numbers to call for help, but even if you found a number you won't get far when you tell them why you're calling. The email eBay sent tells you why, there's really no need for them to pay an employee to tell you the same thing.

All that might sound harsh, but that's eBay.
Old 06-16-06, 03:10 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. The problem is when you upgrade to the Premium account, you get hit by the $0.03 + ~3% fee for every transaction - even for cash transfer.

If they only charge the fee for credit card transactions, there will a lot less ebay bashers.
Old 06-16-06, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
I'm an active Ebay seller (over 6 years, 1500 transactions) and realize that there is something called "the cost of doing business".
I feel the same way when I hear people wanting buyers to cover Paypal fees.
Old 07-01-06, 03:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by yeldarb367
I feel the same way when I hear people wanting buyers to cover Paypal fees.
True, but thats why shipping rates are so high..to cover the ebay and paypal fees. Paypal fees should be paid or at least shared by the buyer since they are the ones making the payment. If they send money order they have to pay for the MO so thats my take on it.
Old 07-01-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The nice thing about eBay is that the one think you CAN do is require your bidders to have a Paypal account. That's been the best chance to eBay in years, and my non-paying bidders have dropped to almost zero because of it.
Since I started doing that, I haven't had a single non-paying bidder.
Old 07-01-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
It doesn't sound like you were requiring anything. You just said that you PREFERRED a certain type of Paypal payment. eBay's full of shit on this one.
Old 07-02-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ben12
It doesn't sound like you were requiring anything. You just said that you PREFERRED a certain type of Paypal payment. eBay's full of shit on this one.

eBay is not "full of shit" - take the time to actually read exactly what was stated in the auction, rather than just the first few words:

"Paypal is prefered method of payment, as long as payment is funded by bank account or existing paypal funds, and not by a credit card or debit card."

That sounds like a requirement to me.
Old 08-08-10, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Ebay's Very Dubious Paypal Policy...

If Ebay suspended you can they also block and remove your paypal account?
Old 08-08-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
If Ebay suspended you can they also block and remove your paypal account?
Yeah, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's nearly impossible to be suspended on Ebay.
Old 08-08-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been on Ebay since the start. At first they were great. Little by little they have made it a joke to use ebay. Their fees are CRAZY high. "cost of doing business MY ASS". They basically have a monopoly and are charging whatever they want.

They are Greedy pieces of crap. Ebay fees, Paypal fees, it makes selling on it a waste of time in many cases.

I long for the day someone competes with them and blows them out of the water.
Old 08-08-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All it takes is for sellers to go to other auction sites. Problem is, that's not where all the buyers are.
Old 08-08-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

OP - I don't understand your objection. If I'm not mistaken, there are no longer any additional fees for accepting credit cards through PayPal. Indeed, this used to be the case, but I thought they standardized it a few years ago.
Old 08-08-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
OP - I don't understand your objection. If I'm not mistaken, there are no longer any additional fees for accepting credit cards through PayPal. Indeed, this used to be the case, but I thought they standardized it a few years ago.
This thread is 4 years old, brah.
Old 08-08-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Ooooooooh.
Old 08-08-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Yeah, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's nearly impossible to be suspended on Ebay.
not true.
Old 08-08-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I have been on Ebay since the start. At first they were great. Little by little they have made it a joke to use ebay. Their fees are CRAZY high. "cost of doing business MY ASS".
Hey now, running an opulent, online giant ain't cheap.

They paid $1.5b to PayPal.

And the "campus" couldn't have been cheap. http://www.greenr.ca/bidding-for-a-g...uction-target/ Looks like the eBay lawyers alone get 460k sq/ft of office.