Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What TV Shows/Movies not made would make great Games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own a PS3 or a Gamecube. It's been awhile since I owned a up to date system but I will be soon. As I shop around and wait for the PS3 to come out I relize all the TV Shows and Movies that look good as I look at the back of the cover.

When I buy my PS3 I plan on buying such games as

Buffy
Alias

What TV Show/ and or Movies would make a great game on PS or Gamecube or other platforms?

I wouldn't mind if they would make these shows into games:
Lost
Smallville
Beavis & Butthead
The Dead Zone
Angel
-----------------
movies

The Faculty
Face Off
can anyone else think of any?
Old 06-14-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None.
Old 06-14-06, 01:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There were several Beavis & Buttlead games out. A couple of cool point-and-click games for the PC, plus some more action-based ones for consoles like SNES and Genesis. Those two were different, I remember one being fun (I think the Genesis one) and the other being not as good.

I've always thought Dawn of the Dead (either version) would have made a great game, although the upcoming Dead Rising for 360 looks like a similar concept.
Old 06-14-06, 01:32 PM
Retired

Yep, have to agree with Pixy. Most move/show based games suck. And even the ones that are decent (like the EA LOTR games) are still far from classic.

With a license they know it will sell, so they either put no effort into it and it flat out sucks balls, or they make an ok game, but one that has no innovation or imagination to it at all--i.e. a simple hack and slash beat'em up like the LOTR games.

Plus they spend a lot of money to acquire the license, leaving less in the budget for making a good game.

In sum, licensed games just don't have much opportunity or incentive to make a high quality game with any of the innovation or imagination required for a game to be a truly A+ classic title.
Old 06-14-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be all for a nice Who Wants to be a Millionaire or Deal or No Deal or any gameshow, for that matter, as long as the game came with a check-writing attachment.
Old 06-14-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a bunch of shows and movies that would lend themselves to being made into really good games, but the time and care is hardly ever taken with license properties. Like Josh said, even the good licensed games, never approach triple A status. It's getting better though, Spidey 2, Hulk Ultimate Destruction, or the LOTR buttom masher games are at least fun to play and control well and the Chronicles of Riddick really took a huge leap in the right direction being a pretty good game all around.

Off of your list I would love to see a good game based off of Angel. How would Dead Zone make a good game though?
Old 06-14-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If the team that did Ico and Shadow of the Colossus did Lost, that would be awesome.

Also, Kenny vs Spenny lends itself well to minigames.
Old 06-14-06, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly

Off of your list I would love to see a good game based off of Angel. How would Dead Zone make a good game though?
I am interested and like the show and I am getting a bachelors in mutimedia and game design. So making a character directly from a show to a game and making it look as realistic has fasinated me.
Old 06-14-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I think movie/tv-based games are usually constrained by their license... they can't do whatever they want, and they have to jump through hoops if they want to deviate from the main story (like using secondary characters, or shoehorning stories in between what was seen on the screen). The best licensed games are the ones that either have a different story to tell, or the ones where there is an intriguing universe created by the original work. For instance, Star Wars has had some great games (and some crappy games) made for it, mainly because people love the universe and there are so many blank spaces in the timeline.

GoldenEye stands out as an excellent movie game, but the best part (multiplayer) is not even tied to the movie at all.

Take Lost, for instance. I love the series, but I have a hard time seeing how they could make a game for it. It would either rehash the storyline of the series, or force some lame storyline that somehow fits in between episodes but is of absolutely no consequence.
Old 06-14-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to agree with most of the posts. Even the games that were successful based on a license (I think most of us will agree Goldeneye was the best in terms of that, but even then they had some HUGE differences from the movie). Most games now, even those that try to repeat the success of Goldeneye fall short (see: From Russia With Love), and the other games (See: Alias, etc) are awful.

The ideal situation is of course producers who allow material to be expanded upon in games, but it's a slipperly slope. As someone who's seeking a career in filmmaking, I don't know if I'd honestly want someone else coming up with backstories and side-stories to my characters/storylines, so I for one understand why they're so strict. The other side of that is when the producers/writers do get involved (See: The Matrix Games), they tend to have less than stellar results.

My opinion currently, and it's not an incredibly strong one so feel free to argue about it, is that moviemakers should stick to movies and game creators should stick to creating ORIGINAL games.

But then again, it's all about money isn't it?
Old 06-14-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Where's the love for Stargate?

They had Alliance going there for awhile, but I think it is officially dead at this point.
Old 06-14-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
As an aside, I think licensed games in general (meaning they license the characters, but not the specific plot of a movie or show) can be great... they're not always the most innovative, but they don't have to be. Someone mentioned Hulk:UD, which I wouldn't consider a movie game, but based loosely on the comic character in general, and that was a great game... fun, mindless destruction, as the name implies. And as I've said many times, I'd buy any Avengers or other comic book hero game based off the X-men Legends engine.
Old 06-14-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
"Lost" might work as a point-and-click adventure game, but they don't like to make those games nowadays. Maybe on the DS?
Old 06-14-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Where's the love for Stargate?

They had Alliance going there for awhile, but I think it is officially dead at this point.
There's so much potential for a Stargate Game. I've always wanted a sort of open-ended game where you could dial different gates and explore worlds. Perhaps an RPG/FPS, or even a Rainbow 6 type game. You could be in command of SG-2 or another team and backup SG-1 once in a while, but have team development.

I dunno, Alliance had potential but I was never fully confident it would hit the mark.
Old 06-14-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And I should also give a shoutout to Wombat's idea over at CAG, which he's stated quite a few times: a Splinter Cell/Stealth-type Batman game.
Old 06-14-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drexl
"Lost" might work as a point-and-click adventure game, but they don't like to make those games nowadays. Maybe on the DS?
ABC/BVG already announced the Lost game on Jimmy Kimmel last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1On2DwBTd64
Old 06-14-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
There's so much potential for a Stargate Game. I've always wanted a sort of open-ended game where you could dial different gates and explore worlds. Perhaps an RPG/FPS, or even a Rainbow 6 type game. You could be in command of SG-2 or another team and backup SG-1 once in a while, but have team development.

I dunno, Alliance had potential but I was never fully confident it would hit the mark.
I would love that. I think something more along the lines of a Zelda adventure game would be best. Not fully RPG but would keep the adventure/exploration aspect of the show. Limited interaction with natives, finding hidden cartouches to dial out.

I'm not to keen on a FPS Stargate. That would get old real quick. Unless it was done more like Riddick, or closer to Metroid.
Old 06-14-06, 10:13 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by lordwow
And I should also give a shoutout to Wombat's idea over at CAG, which he's stated quite a few times: a Splinter Cell/Stealth-type Batman game.
Wasn't that exactly what they did with Batman Begins?
Old 06-15-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

an Airwolf game on the modern systems would be killer.
Old 06-15-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Schindler's List

It would make a great platformer.
Old 06-15-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Honestly, I can't think of any that I want to see.

Although, I am hoping the Adult Swim-based games turn out OK. As long as the games stay funny and appeal to fans, they should be good enough. Futurama, although a medicore game, was still worth $20 since I am a fan of the show and enjoyed it well enough. I'd hope Adult Swim games could at least get to that level.

Go Team Venture!
Old 06-15-06, 06:49 PM

I think Deadwood would be a fun game.
Old 06-15-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
And as I've said many times, I'd buy any Avengers or other comic book hero game based off the X-men Legends engine.
You're getting your wish with Marvel Alliance.

And there is a Deadwood poker game on HBO's site. Worth checking out if you like poker. I don't, but it was still cool to see.
Old 06-15-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Wasn't that exactly what they did with Batman Begins?
I dunno, I haven't played Begins.

But on their Podcast over at CAG, he's mentioned it a few times and this week even said he's talked to one of the developers of the Batman Begins games and the guy apparently was impressed with the idea and wished someone had mentioned it during development (becuase both were developed by Ubisoft if I understood correctly). But alas, I haven't played a Batman game since SNES.
Old 06-15-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Buffy games for the Xbox were great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.