DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How to Rip Sound from Video Files

BustaCones
06-14-06, 11:38 AM
Can anybody recommend a simple/free program to create a sound file from a video file? I have a lot of standup comedy videos (mpg/avi mostly) and would like to convert them to audio only so that I can make some cds and listen to them at work/in the car.

Thanks folks, any help would be much appreciated.

Dan G
06-14-06, 01:15 PM
A free program called Audacity will do what you're looking for.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

lxl
06-15-06, 02:31 AM
Virtualdub or Virtualdub-MPEG2

see guide:
http://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubaudio.htm

movieking
10-07-06, 06:09 PM
Bump

Any others? I can't get Audacity to work for me. I need to extract about 7 or 8 minutes from an avi file for work. There are some shareware around that work, but most are limited to 30 seconds or so. I need more than that. The time that I need is about 9 minutes into the avi, but I think that I should be able to cut off the first part of the file with no problem (although I haven't tried it yet).

Any other suggestions?

sureAV421
10-07-06, 08:43 PM
use TMPGEnc. Open the file, File ->Output to File -> WAVE File

Darknite39
10-07-06, 10:47 PM
virtualdub for .avi files

wmansir
10-08-06, 12:28 AM
Another vote for Vdub. Here's a little guide:

1.Open .avi

2. Drag timeline slider to beginning of where you want to cut. From the Edit Menu -> Set Selection Start

3. Play video or drag slider to end of cut. Edit->Set Selection End. You should now notice the clip you want is highlighted on the time silder.

4. Then just follow the guide lxl posted to save the audio.
or
Most AVI use MP3 audio, in that case you can just go File->Save Wav... and save it then rename from .wav to .mp3. Although, in that case the .mp3 might not be standard compliant. Most software will play it fine, but some hardware might not like it. The advantage is you don't have to have Vdub decode to a real wav file and then recompress to .mp3, so it saves time and the quality is better.

EDIT: you can fix the .mp3 problem with this program:

http://dspguru.notrace.dk/BeSlicedv0.2.zip

Just extract all the files, run beslice.exe and drop the .mp3 into the window and select 'fix file'.

bothanspy
10-09-06, 01:22 AM
Is it possible to export a dd5.1 or a dts wav file? I would love to isolate the score on some movies that I have.

Don't answer if thats illegal.

digitalfreaknyc
10-09-06, 01:25 AM
Is it possible to export a dd5.1 or a dts wav file? I would love to isolate the score on some movies that I have.

Don't answer if thats illegal.

uhhh...there isn't a dd 5.1 or DTS wav file. if you meant to split them up? Then yes, it's possible.

And i'm assuming you're not talking about isolated scores that are already on discs. Obviously you understand that unless it's on the disc as an option, there's no way to isolate a score yourself.

bothanspy
10-09-06, 02:36 AM
I'm not tech genius, but I have several .wav files that are DTS encoded (mostly DTS-CD's). Unless this is a misnomer that I am missing.

I wanted to export the Amadeus isolated score to DTS-CD or DVD-A. The isolated score already exists on the original (1st wave) dvd. I would just love to have it in my car in 5.1

X
10-09-06, 11:46 AM
Don't answer if thats illegal.It is. Yet you still get an answer.

This shows why it's hard to have threads that deal with any kind of ripping of even non-copyrighted material.