Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queensryche Arrested in Amsterdam...for Illegal Firearms!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

http://www.queensryche.com/news/index.html

Queensryche was arrested today at the Amsterdam airport today for smuggling illegal firearms! Details are a bit sketchy at the moment, but word just came in moments ago from Geoff Tate. More info as it becomes available... stay tuned!
All I can say is, WTF? I guess there's not much else in Amsterdam you can be arrested for.

Hope this doesn't screw up the fall tour (which I just ordered tickets for).
Old 06-12-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
"Queensryche"? Not just a member or two? The whole band?
Old 06-12-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
stage pyro?
Old 06-12-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
???? I was just listening to "Empire" last night, too. Weird. I'm VERY interested to hear more on this story as details become available.
Old 06-13-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
QUEENSRŸCHE - Amsterdam Arrest Explained, Sort Of
2006-06-13 12:48:08

On Sunday, June 11th, QUEENSRŸCHE's official website was updated with the following news:

"Queensrÿche was arrested today at the Amsterdam airport today for smuggling illegal firearms! Details are a bit sketchy at the moment, but word just came in moments ago from Geoff Tate. More info as it becomes available... stay tuned!"

Since then, Tate's wife Susan has issued the following explanation: "Geoff uses a fake gun as a prop in part of the Mindcrime set and it was in his bag going through the airport. This got somone arrested... I am still unclear on all the details."

Stay tuned for further updates.
SOURCE: http://www.bravewords.com/news/46162

Would be funny if this was all over fake props for Operation Mindcrime sets
Old 06-13-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dumb move to take props in your personal bag. Those should be packed up with the rest of the stage, instruments, backdrops, etc.
Old 06-13-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Dumb move to take props in your personal bag. Those should be packed up with the rest of the stage, instruments, backdrops, etc.
Well, maybe he had it on his person and forgot to return it to the stage manager, so he just tossed it into his suitcase.
Old 06-13-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's fine for a forgotten guitar tuner..... but a gun?!?!?
Old 06-14-06, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They must've been high.
Old 06-15-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That reminds me, I need to contact my ticket source.
Old 06-15-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the band, but
Old 06-15-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Maybe their luggage got mixed up with Ted Nugent's.
Old 06-15-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe someone told him to take it home and wait by the phone.
Old 06-15-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

melodicrock.com;

UPDATING QUEENSRYCHE'S ARREST:
A kind member of the Queensryche fan club forwarded me a post to the band's Message Boards by frontman Geoff Tate. In regards to the band's recent airport troubles, it reads:
"What a day! At the airport in Amsterdam we were all lined up at the ticket counter checking in for the flight to Oslo. The 35 pieces of luggage to check were being lined up and I turned to Adam, our Tour manager and whispered Remember there's a gun in our bags referring to the replica Glock 45 handgun that we use on stage. In a second of confusion he says to the ticket agent, Oh yeah, not to worry but we have a gun in this suitcase. Before he could explain that it wasn't a real gun but a replica, airport Police swarmed in on us and the questioning began. Apparently, unknown to us, any gun, whether real or fake, is highly illegal in Holland. Quick thinking Adam realized that this was suddenly getting ugly and that we might get detained and miss the flight, thus putting the show in Oslo in jeopardy. He instantly informed them that the bag in question was his. Before I could blink, they arrested him and took him away. He looked back at me and said, Don't worry get on the plane and I'll call you later. As I watched him being led away the ticket agent handed me my boarding pass and said, Have a nice flight. Right. The rest of the entourage boarded the plane and journeyed to Oslo without further incident. Just before show time a very stressed out Adam burst into our dressing room full of tales from his eventful day. There was no jail time only a fine and oh yeah...they confiscated the gun. I was in Oslo in January for a press tour and it was snowing and minus 10 below, but today it was sunny and 80 degrees. I love Oslo, it's a very beautiful city and the people are friendly and really love music. The show keeps getting better and the fans that were there, although small in number, were loud and very supportive."

Ok, so there's the story...the band wasn't arrested at all. Yes there was a situation, but it was dealt with in a perfectly normal manner. As far as any ensuing press attention, it seems the band certainly did use the incident to their benefit.