Saved - Series Premiere - 6/12/06

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saved - Series Premiere - 6/12/06

TNT's paramedic drama "Saved" rings familiar

By Barry GarronSun Jun 11, 10:41 PM ET

"Saved," TNT's new companion to hit series "The Closer," is about a first-responder who is skilled and dedicated at his job but irredeemably flawed in his personal life.

Sound more than a little like FX's "Rescue Me?" Absolutely. Right down to their titles, both of which invoke the irony of a person who offers salvation to others but is unable to provide it for himself.

Unlike Tommy Gavin, the fireman played by Denis Leary on "Rescue Me," Wyatt Cole (Tom Everett Scott) is a paramedic. More important than their respective jobs, though, is the source of their inner torment.

Where Gavin's demons arose from the death and ashes of September 11, Cole is haunted by more familiar and less spectacular issues. He has an addiction to gambling, poker in particular, and a rebellious attitude toward anything too closely connected to his father.

The old man, a prominent surgeon and chief of a hospital medical staff, considers Wyatt a huge disappointment, of course.

Cole's best pal is his paramedic partner, Sack (Omari Hardwick), a divorced dad who, despite good intentions and obvious effort, can't connect with his young son.

For Cole, meanwhile, the most significant failed relationship is with former girlfriend Alice (Elizabeth Reaser), who stayed in medical school after he dropped out. Now she conveniently works as an ER doctor and is about to move in with another guy.

"Saved" has a lot going for it. Scott has matured into an actor with TV charisma, and there is genuine buddy chemistry between Cole and Sack. While flawed heroes are more the rule than the exception on TV dramas, the idea of two guys helping each other as they try to find themselves holds promise for rich storytelling.

There is a troubling moment in the final scene, when Cole and Sack enjoy a laugh at the expense of a mentally disturbed hospital patient who escapes in nothing but a gown.

Even so, the biggest problem with "Saved" is that it pales when the inevitable comparison with "Rescue Me" gets made. Cole is less complex than his FX counterpart.

He manages to compartmentalize his problems and keep his work in focus. His relationships are well-defined; his actions mostly predictable. Creator-writer David Manson gives us a TV world with a familiar feel and a series that reliably entertains, though it doesn't challenge one's intellect.

Thanks to the considerable directing talent of Darnell Martin, the premiere moves at an enjoyable pace, and emergency action, a staple of so many shows, is presented with a fresh perspective.

There's an especially interesting device in which patients' medical histories are neatly summarized in black-and-white montages in just a few seconds.

The premiere, which mostly sets the foundation for the rest of the series, will be shown without commercial breaks.

Cast

Wyatt Cole: Tom Everett Scott

John "Sack" Hallon: Omari Hardwick

Alice Alden: Elizabeth Reaser

Angela de la Cruz: Tracy Vilar

Harper Sims: Michael McMillian

Dr. Leon Cole: David Clennon

Executive producers: David Manson, David Nevins; Producer: Matthew Carlisle; Line producer: Shawn Williamson; Director: Darnell Martin; Teleplay-creator: David Manson; Director of photography: Kramer Morgenthau; Production designer: Brent Thomas; Editor: Peter Frank; Casting: Shani Ginsbert, Jakki Fink, Susan Brouse.

Produced by Fox 21 and Imagine Television

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 06-12-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They forgot to mention the shows tagline:

"They save us. Who saves them?"

I think I've heard that somewhere before.....
Old 06-12-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will this be reran later in the week? I'm trying to get through final's and this is probably my last break from studying until thursday!
Old 06-12-06, 12:50 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
They forgot to mention the shows tagline:

"They save us. Who saves them?"

I think I've heard that somewhere before.....
"You've got me?...who's got you?"
Old 06-12-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Also coming soon from TNT:

A renegade cop squares off against crooks, his ex-wife, and internal affairs in... The Armor.

Two at-odds cousins operate a Miami liposuction clinic in... Insert/Suck.

Check your local listings.
Old 06-12-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
This screamed Rescue Me clone when I first saw the promo.
Old 06-12-06, 03:52 PM

Someone told me the theme music is the exact same song from Rescue Me. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-13-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by sq240
Someone told me the theme music is the exact same song from Rescue Me. Can anyone confirm this?
No, it's not. The premiere didn't have an opening sequence that I noticed, but Under Pressure by Queen has been playing in all the recent commercials, so it may end up being in the opening sequence whenever that's added.

I thought the show was pretty good. It does have it's similarities to Rescue Me, but it's not a direct rip-off. It does strike me as a show that might need a few more episodes to really catch it's stride. I'll definately tune in next week.
Old 06-14-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

tried to get into it as I'm a fan of tom, but just couldn't. in fact, original shows on TNT and FX are all hard for me to get into for some reason.
Old 06-14-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The chemistry among the mains is top notch. I like nearly all of the principals.

The script on the other hand is weak, but hopefully when it finds its pace it will improve. The script is easier to fix than the character/actors. The plots are cloying and slow moving. The patient flashbacks/stills are excellent.

The music is way to frequent. It often interferes with the drama and takes the viewer out of the show. This could be a byproduct of it being a premeire and hopefully subsequent episodes will tone it down a bit.

I like it. What About Brian Meets Rescue Me.
Old 06-15-06, 02:40 AM

I didn't think Rescue Me when I saw it, I thought about IB Bangin'. Then the comment about taking out the trash was just like "My training was useful in less than ten percent of the calls, and saving lives was rarer than that."

But I still have to admit I enjoyed the show.
Old 07-19-06, 12:49 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have there been anymore threads on this? I love the show. I'm impressed that they can have an asshole as a main character and still make him likable. They even have a recurring character, the young female patient, who's a bitch who's also somewhat likable.

Is it just me or do the corners of the screen seem darker on this show? I notice it so often that I find it hard to believe it's just me.

This week seemed a bit off. Was there only one flashback? They haven't really handled the rival characters that well, so it was surprising the change they made this week. I really liked the interesting storyline they gave to the female doctor, though.
Old 07-19-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like this show as well, but the writing seems uneven. Just when they get the sub-plot going, it quickly ends and is often forgotten. There is enough chemistry among the mains to keep this show interesting. The longterm arcs are well done, except for the one about the private school.

The returning girl with cancer played Dex on Jack & Bobby.
Old 07-27-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great episode this last week. Well ... up until the mud wrestling scene. The writing is close to finding its pace. They just have to resist the temptation to send scenes over the top so quickly. The only hope for this show is TNT's lack of replacements.

I wish they would spend more time with the patient flashbacks. Slow them down and maybe add voiceover.