Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rush Replay X 3 - New DVD

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a search and I'm surprised no one has mentioned this anywhere on DVDTalk except in the Bargains area. And I'm putting this in here because it relates to Rush's music. This new DVD seems to have appeared out of the blue, but it is the one that I've (and millions of others) have been waiting for, for years.

I am so excited that Alex Lifeson was involved in remixing it to 5.1 surround sound. I would have been disappointed if they had released it with the original audio. That audio was fine in 1981 when I first saw this concert (saw it between 50-100 times that first year). I actually still have the original videotape (one of the first I recorded) somewhere in storage. I guess I can finally throw away that videotape!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Replay_X_3

Rush Replay X 3

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DVD by Rush
Released June 13, 2006 (tentative)
Recorded 1981 - 1988
Genre Progressive rock

Rush Replay X 3 is a live DVD by the Canadian band Rush, set to be released on June 13, 2006. It consists of three vintage VHS videos of the Grace Under Pressure Tour 1984, Exit... Stage Left, and A Show of Hands concerts filmed in the 1980s. For this release, each one was remixed in 5.1 surround sound by Alex Lifeson. It also will contain a previously unreleased CD audio version of the Grace Under Pressure Tour 1984, and a set of reprinted tour books for each concert.

Disc One: Exit... Stage Left

Intro (The Camera Eye)
Limelight
Tom Sawyer
The Trees
Xanadu
YYZ/drum solo
Red Barchetta
Freewill
Closer To The Heart
YYZ
By-Tor And The Snow Dog/In The End/In The Mood/2112: Finale

Disc Two: Grace Under Pressure Tour

Intro
The Spirit of Radio
The Enemy Within
The Weapon
Witch Hunt
New World Man
Distant Early Warning
Red Sector A
Closer To The Heart
YYZ/2112: Temples Of Syrinx/Tom Sawyer
Vital Signs/Finding My Way/In The Mood

Also comes with 1 live CD of this show.

Disc Three: A Show of Hands

Intro
The Big Money
Marathon
Turn The Page
Prime Mover
Manhattan Project
Closer To The Heart
Red Sector A
Force Ten
Mission
Territories
The Rhythm Method (drum solo)
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
2112/La Villa Strangiato/In The Mood

This is set to be released tomorrow 6/13 and Best Buy has a confusing ad regarding this. They show that it is 3 DVDz & CD (Best Buy Exclusive - 4 songs) for $24.99. Then below it, it states that it is 2 for $20 when you buy both DVD and CD. Must be purchased on same receipt.

So, I'm not sure how much it will be costing, but I've been waiting for Exit... Stage Left on DVD since the first DVDz were released (1997).

Chris
Old 06-12-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I was under the impression from the previous thread that these were being released individually.
Old 06-12-06, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I was under the impression from the previous thread that these were being released individually.

Where is the previous thread?

Chris
Old 06-12-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was confused by the 2 for 20 thing in the add, but look at it again. It is for the CD and DVD that is BELOW the Rush thing. It is for a differant product.

Anybody have any idea what the 4 bonus tracks are?
Old 06-12-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Limelight, Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, and Closer to the Heart. There's no indication what shows they are from, or if they are studio recordings.
Old 06-12-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SFranke
Limelight, Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, and Closer to the Heart. There's no indication what shows they are from, or if they are studio recordings.

Hopefully they are live tracks. I really don't see why they would put studio tracks on a bonus disk for this type of box set.

Still, for 25 bucks this is very good value for a Rush fan.
Old 06-13-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Finally a Rush DVD where I do not have to fast-forward thru Roll The Bones.
Old 06-13-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
The bonus tracks are tacked on at the end of the GUP tour cd. I don't believe it tells where they are from. Kinda silly since 3 of the 4 bonus tracks are already on the cd.
Old 06-13-06, 01:11 PM

Yeah, the bonus tracks are all live, but there's no indication (as far as I can tell) where they came from. I really wish they would've released Territories from the A Show of Hands DVD and even Lock and Key from the A Show of Hands Laserdisc. Oh well, I still like the GUP Tour CD even if the bonus songs could've been better. And the set looks really nice, but they could've included something with a track listing inside. There's just the 3 tour booklet reproductions (which are nice), the 3 DVDs and the CD. Still, at 24.99 this is a really good deal IMO.
Old 06-13-06, 01:19 PM

A friend and I are going to Best Buy at lunch to buy this. Less than an hour before I have it in my hands. I can hardly wait to crank up the surround sound tonight and watch Exit... Stage Left again.

Someone posted on Amazon the songs that are missing on the DVD that were on the original Exit... Stage Left double album. They are:

1. The Spirit of Radio
2. A Passage to Bangkok
3. Beneath, Between, and Behind
4. Jacob's Ladder
5. Broon's Bane
6. La Villa Strangiato

I'm really curious as to why they wouldn't include those songs on this DVD. I know in the old days of the VHS tape, they kept the music down to about an hour, but now they have 2 hours on DVD and they should have included those songs on the new DVD.

I personally don't like 'listening' to live songs because they leave a lot to be desired. Of course Rush sounds great in concert, but I would still like to 'see' them playing the live songs. Maybe they will put out another DVD in the near future that will include these songs and all of the other songs that were previously mentioned as being left out on the other DVDz.

Chris
Old 06-13-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A definte must buy for me despite a few things missing its still a pretty nice package.
Old 06-13-06, 03:31 PM

Picked up a copy and Rushed home to play it. The video on Exit... Stage Left looks as good as it will ever be (remember it was kind of a hazy shoot) and the audio sounds as good as remixed 5.1 surround sound from 1981 will ever sound (without digitally enhancing the crap out of it). So, I am very satisfied.

I made it thru track # 5 Xanadu, but the dam 'The Trees, Instrumental, Xanadu' megamix of 28 minutes made me get back late to work!

Chris
Old 06-13-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ducked out of work mid-morning to head to Best Buy and grabbed a copy. I agree with the comments above that the 4 bonus tracks on the audio are nice, but it would be a plus to know where they were recorded.

Ok...more importantly, this set is majorly SWEET! I listened to all three concerts and they bring back a lot of memories. Its funny that some of the older songs sound more true to form as they are played live using the same basic hardware on which they were first recorded. I also found the 5.1 DD mixes to be a little stronger and more rich than the 5.1 DTS, but that might be expected given the technology in place when these were recorded.

Each concert has its pluses...nice to see some of the Grace Under Pressure material done live...and to get a number of the Hold Your Fire tracks on A Show Of Hands was a definite treat.

For even the casual Rush fan, this is a great set. I already have Rush in Rio (which is quite good) and R30 (which is phenomenal) but feel this trio of concerts nicely complements what I had, as you get a few different songs and a different atmosphere in each set.

For the $25-$30 this set is on sale for this week, you can't go wrong...
Old 06-13-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DDD has it for $22.31 after 20% discount.
Old 06-14-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll

I'm really curious as to why they wouldn't include those songs on this DVD. I know in the old days of the VHS tape, they kept the music down to about an hour, but now they have 2 hours on DVD and they should have included those songs on the new DVD.
They don't have footage of the entire ESL concert, all they have are the original video masters. Rush has asked that if anyone has the orignal footage, or knows of it's whereabouts to contact them.

The 5.1 mixes are awesome, very natural, and it is great that the PCM mixes are included...the ESL Laserdisc is analog audio only, so it major step up with all three audio choices.

As far as the bonus tracks go, I am pretty sure Limelight is just the audio from the ESL concert...I am not sure about the other tracks though.
Old 06-14-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Finally a Rush DVD where I do not have to fast-forward thru Roll The Bones.
Old 06-14-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a very nice package. I got to listen to the CD on the way home from work. Sounded great.

Went to play the Exit Stage Left DVD and there was a big old black spot on the DVD. Made parts of three songs unplayable. Ugh, back to the store for an exchange. First time I have ever had to bring back a defective DVD for an exchange.

It definately would have been nice if they could have included more/all of the Exit Stage left show, but if they don't have it they don't have it. YYZ with the drum solo would have been nice to have seen.
Old 06-15-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lateralus
DDD has it for $22.31 after 20% discount.
That's what I did. Screw the 4 "bonus" audio tracks. For all I know they could be 4 tracks from the R30 CDs or something else I already have. I have enough live Rush CDs I rarely listen to.
Old 11-07-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

which Rush dvd is the one where they're playing in front of two giant washing machines/driers? I remembered some extended solo by Neil Peart and thought I remembered them performing YYZ but the R30 dvd, which I assumed was the one I saw, doesn't have that song. The show I'm looking for has been on INHD over the past year. Anyone know which dvd/concert I'm talking about?
Old 11-07-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the Rio DVD is the one you're talking about. I'll have to double check.
Old 11-07-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
which Rush dvd is the one where they're playing in front of two giant washing machines/driers? I remembered some extended solo by Neil Peart and thought I remembered them performing YYZ but the R30 dvd, which I assumed was the one I saw, doesn't have that song. The show I'm looking for has been on INHD over the past year. Anyone know which dvd/concert I'm talking about?

Probably R30

R30 does not have YYZ but Rio does.
Old 11-07-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is the answer:

Rio does have YYZ, but the extended drum solo is O Baterista, later in the same show.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 11-07-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-07-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good stuff. thanks a lot