Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bob Dylan: Modern Times -- 8/29/06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob Dylan: Modern Times

1. Thunder On The Mountain
2. Spirit On The Water
3. Rollin' and Tumblin'
4. When The Deal Goes Down
5. Someday Baby
6. Workingman's Blues #2
7. Beyond The Horizon
8. Nettie Moore
9. The Levee's Gonna Break
10. Ain't Talkin'

from NME:

Bob Dylan's first album of new songs in five years will be called 'Modern Times' and released on August 29, according to an inside source at his US record company, Sony-BMG.

A number of hand-picked journalists were given a playback of the album in New York City last week but were required to sign legal undertakings not to talk about what they heard. One record company source described the album as similar in style to 2001's 'Love & Theft'. Another source claimed the dozen songs include "at least three masterpieces".

It appears unlikely that any of the new material will feature in the set-list for his imminent UK and European dates. None of the songs from 'Modern Times' were premiered on Dylan's recent US tour, which wound-up in Florida last month.

Last edited by auto; 08-25-06 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Awesome, I've just been wondering if Dylan would ever put out another new album.
Old 06-12-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic!
Old 06-12-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looking forward to this!
Old 06-12-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Great news! I wasn't that crazy about Love & Theft, though it was certainly better than anything he put out in the 15-20 years before Time Out Of Mind -- that album is one of my all-time favorites and I listen to it every month if not more frequently. Here's hoping the late-career upswing continues.
Old 06-12-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I look forward to it and thanks for the news
Old 06-13-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait. Time Out of Mind & Love & Theft are both excellent albums so I have high expectations for this one.
Old 06-13-06, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by auto
A number of hand-picked journalists were given a playback of the album in New York City last week but were required to sign legal undertakings not to talk about what they heard.
Why on earth would a record company require that no one talk about what they heard on the new record? I mean, I can understand why they would want to make sure the music itself doesn't fall into the wrong hands (and then winds up all over the internet). But not wanting journos to talk about? Strikes me as odd...
Old 06-14-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SWEET! I'm VERY MUCH excited by this!

The bit I read about this in the Pioneer Press this morning stated that at least 10 of the songs are new.

Can't wait! and one more

I love Dylan's recent stuff! It's about time! Love and Theft came out on 9/11. That was awhile ago. Whoop!
-ringding-
Old 08-24-06, 06:24 PM

Thought I'd bump this, since the release is in less than a week and I'm VERY excited. He's also gonna tour with the Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon and The Raconteurs!!! Unfortunately, not all the same night - those are his "supporting acts"... Yikes! I guess that's what he deserves being a deity amongst mere mortals!

Color me very excited!
-ringding-
Old 08-24-06, 06:57 PM

World premier coming up this Monday night at 12am et on XM40[deeptracks] btw.
Old 08-25-06, 08:24 PM
Cool New Member

Excellent album. I think a Grammy nomination for Album of the Year is assured.
Old 08-25-06, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by alexcuse
Excellent album. I think a Grammy nomination for Album of the Year is assured.
Where does it fall in regards to his previous two? (Those being Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft, just to be clear.)

Time Out of Mind is one of my favorite albums ever, so it will be hard to top it. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-28-06, 05:46 PM

Wow. I'm on my 15th listen or so since I got it yesterday.

It's damn good, that's for sure. There are, however, no transcedent songs for me... yet. By transcendent, I'm thinking "Standing in the Doorway" or "Mississippi".

I think "Ain't Talkin'" comes closest right now with "Nettie Moore" close on its heels. "Spirit on the Water" and "Workingman's Blues 2" come pretty close to the top as well.

I also think, for me, that the slower, more melodic songs on his past 3 albums by far trump the faster paced songs. The faster songs all sound similar and last a little too long. The slower songs are breathtakingly gorgeous. This is, of course, just my opinion. (I also want to make clear that I do like the faster songs, but they don't carry the same weight as the more delicate, slower songs.)

I'm surprised this thread is so dead, frankly.
-ringding-
Old 08-28-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
I'm surprised this thread is so dead, frankly.
Well, to be fair, most of us won't have the album until tomorrow.
Old 08-28-06, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by auto
Well, to be fair, most of us won't have the album until tomorrow.
Heh heh. I got anxious. But I preordered it from iTunes, so I'll be getting the album PLUS goodies soon enough!

Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not the only who's heard it! Even the prior-to-release talk has been quiet. *shrug*
-ringding-
Old 08-28-06, 09:04 PM

This is a decent album, I think Spirit On The Water is a great song.
Old 08-28-06, 09:06 PM

Allmusic gives it a 4.5/5

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:ks2gtq6zcu42

Rollingstone 5 stars

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...0/modern_times
Old 08-29-06, 03:03 PM

Any thoughts on whether the DVD that comes with the CD/DVD version is worth the extra $$? In my experience, sometimes these DVDs don't amount to much, even when the album is great.
Old 08-29-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JiM T
Any thoughts on whether the DVD that comes with the CD/DVD version is worth the extra $$? In my experience, sometimes these DVDs don't amount to much, even when the album is great.
DVD has 4 videos:

Love Sick - live from the '98 Grammys. This was a great performance, but I've read that this version is edited. They took out the shirtless idiot with Soy Bomb written on his chest.

Blood In My Eyes - excellent black & white promo clip of Bob wandering around England, having a drink, doing a little juggling...

Things Have Changed - goofy promo video that is also found on Wonder Boys DVD. Has its moments, but what's more annoying than seeing Michael Douglas lipsynch Bob?

Cold Irons Bound - unedited live performance from the Masked & Anonymous movie with the last Dylan band I consistently enjoyed. You can watch this at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Times-D...867924?ie=UTF8

I bet the others are on youtube if you want more previews.
Old 08-29-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah crap, I was in such a hurry to buy the new album, I forgot about the CD/DVD version. Anyway, I got my copy at Best Buy, which came with an "exclusive" 100 page book. Unfortunately, it's nothing more than pictures of album covers and tracklists. Still, better than nothing (though I wish they would have had the CD/DVD version).
Old 08-29-06, 07:48 PM

Lokimok - thanks for the DVD breakdown. Editing the Soy Bomber out of the Grammy performance seems just a little too revisionist for my tastes. Since when has Bob shied away from a little strangness? Oh well, still a bit torn on this DVD. I have "Wonder Boys", and I've always disliked that goofy video. The Circuit City XM disc sounds like the best promo, but you have to buy another Dylan CD to get it. The BB booklet sounds as lame as I thought it would be.
Old 08-29-06, 09:55 PM

If you order from sonymusicstore.com, and if they're still in stock, you can get a cd recording of one of Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour shows. The run time's about an hour, and the theme is baseball. I've only listened to a little bit of it so far, but it sounds pretty cool.

From this , it sounds like you only have to buy Modern Times or any other Dylan cd to get the XM sampler.

Last edited by Cathepsin; 08-29-06 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I can't believe that the exclusive Best Buy bonus isn't available in the LE CD/DVD set. They're forcing the collectors to choose which version they want, and that sucks. Maybe I'll pick it up at CC with their bonus disc instead.

...Still, I'm not sure I want the DVD, since I already have The Wonder Boys DVD, it's only three tracks and HOW can you cut SOY BOMB? Yeah that guy was an idiot, but it's part of folklore now. It would be like showing Hank Aaron's 715th without the idiot hippies on the field.
Old 08-30-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lovin' this album

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.