Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kenji Mizoguchi french boxsets with english subs

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The french editor "Film Sans Frontières" released some best films of the japanese master.
Image and sound have been remastered and FSF add english subs.

"The Crucified Lovers - Sansho the Bailiff" Collector limited boxset:
+ a 75 pages booklet about "The Crucified Lovers" in french.

"Empress Yank Kwei Fei - Street of Shame" boxset:

"The Sacrilegious Hero" Collector edition (don't know about subs on extras):
+one disc with supplements.

You can get them at alapage.com or at fnac.com.
Old 06-08-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My budget for any potential "DDD 20% Sale" later this month is shrinking by the minute.
Old 06-08-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

same here. it started around $300 and not it seems like I need to get some stuff from other places. How do you keep track of everything. I started writting stuff down but now it seems that I have notes everywhere.
Old 06-08-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BuddhaWake, my biggest issue right now is with storage and organization. I have to add a lot more storage ASAP because right now things are a complete mess. Then the task is how to organize it....by country first off. But then, for example, I've got lots of samurai films so I might do samurai films in one section and the rest of Japanese cinema in another. I used to have all Kurosawa in one sub-group mixed in with Japanese cinema but now I'm thinking of pulling out his samurai films into the general samurai section and filing the rest of his work in the general Japanese section. But then I've got a bunch of yakuza stuff so do I pull that out into its own sub-section. Does Onibaba go with samurai or break it off into classic Japanese horror with Kuroneko, Kwaidan, etc. Likewise Chinese cinema....maybe all my Shaw Bros. stuff separate from other Chinese cinema. Same thing with French...all together or break off French crime into a separate little group. Basically, it's a total mess. I don't even have a list anywhere of all the DVDs I own so maybe I should just enter it all into a spreadsheet where I can sort by language, director, genre, region, etc....and then just shelve everything by country and then alphabetically by title...but then a lot of stuff like Korean movies have alternate titles....or sort by English title or title in its country of origin or title as it appears on the cover art. And the collection is ever-evolving. A year ago I could have gotten away with simply an Indian DVD section but now I need to break it off into Hindi and then Tamil.........I have too much time on my hands.
Old 06-08-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
My budget for any potential "DDD 20% Sale" later this month is shrinking by the minute.

Hey BuddhaWake, it looks like they decided to attack our wallets before we spend it elsewhere!

For those who might not have noticed, it looks like the DDD sale has started.
Old 06-08-06, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I started writting stuff down but now it seems that I have notes everywhere.
The same for me, I'm using a notepad/post-it plugin on my Linux desktop and it's a complete mess.
Flixtime, you can find softwares to manage films/DVDs collections on a PC.

I made a mistake, "Shin Heike Monogatari" has been released in 2004, missed it.

French reviews with many pictures at dvdalliance.com:
Crucified Lovers/Sansho
The Sacrilegious Hero

It seems the cheapest prices are at alapage:
Crucified Lovers/Sansho 27.41€
Empress Yang Kwei Fei/Street of shame 23.22€
The Sacrilegious Hero 23.22€
Old 06-08-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those in the U.S., the total for all 3 DVD releases (5 movies in all) is 80.44 Euro (after removal of VAT and with the 18.70 Euro shipping charge). If you add the foreign currency conversion charge from your credit card company, you are looking at approx. $105 US or $21 U.S./movie.

NOTE: although Alapage doesn't list English subs for "The Sacrilegious Hero", if you click the back of the cover art you will see English subs listed. Plus, fnac.com is listing English subs.

Also, I've read (at gotterdammerung.com) that the 150-minute documentary on Mizoguchi found on Disc 2 does have English subs.
Old 06-09-06, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime
Also, I've read (at gotterdammerung.com) that the 150-minute documentary on Mizoguchi found on Disc 2 does have English subs.
Looking at the review I gave in my previous post, I noticed it's the entire Disc 2
which is subbed (red menus at the bottom of the review).

I ordered the two boxsets, "The sacrilegious Hero" will wait a little.

My budget for DVD is actually sinking and I still have to replace some HK VCDs with DVDs, DDD fits to my needs.
Old 06-09-06, 06:05 PM

How about this box-set? Does it have English subs?
Old 06-09-06, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by cine
How about this box-set? Does it have English subs?
No, burnt in french subs only. The quality of image is not so good according to dvdrama.com review , variable and
entire sequences are dirty, scratched with white dust, the worst is "Sansho the bailif". Sound quality is variable
too but hissy, so dvdrama rated the image with a 5/10 and sound with a 5/10.