Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of "The Uninvited"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

After seeing the 1/2 star rating and reading Jamie S. Rich's review of "The Uninvited" (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22030), I'd like to make a few observations.

I don't know if the R1 DVD cover has some "Will scare the crap out of you!" quote on it but the fact is, this isn't a horror film. While South Korea has a long tradition of horror films involving ghosts, "The Uninvited" fits in an alternative branch of the genre (along with films like "Memento Mori" and especially "Sorum") where the primary focus is the exploration of the cold and alienating aspects of modern society. Since scaring the moviegoers is not a priority, the creepyness element is more subdued and the unsettling atmosphere here is used to underline the character(s) overpowering feeling of isolation and anonymity in a dysfunctional metropolis. Essentially, "The Uninvited" is a psychological drama with some horror elements. So when I read:

Which might be fine for a film about existential crises, but this is a horror movie.
Well it's exactly the opposite.

The film is a tad too long (and too ambitious perhaps) and the multi-layered, complex narrative doesn't tie everything neatly, but fans should be used to the convoluted nature of Asian "horror" films by now. Personnally, I was captivated by the film's stunning cinematography and the director's distinctive style. "The Uninvited" is more art-house than mainstream fare however, and I could see how many would just find it slow and boring, especially if they expected a horror film. If you liked a film like "Sorum", give this one a try. I think it's a very good first effort by director Lee Su-yeon.

Last edited by eXcentris; 06-07-06 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
^^ What he said