Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What's your favorite sketch-comedy show?

slop101
06-07-06, 04:20 PM
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I doubt it's as good as the above options.

Anyways, for me it's a really close call between Mr. Show and Kids In The Hall, but I had to give it to KitH, because it just clicked with me during its original broadcast (though admittedly, Mr.Show is much better the more you watch it). As great as Python is, it has been far too canonized to be as funny as it once was.

Sure, a show like SNL may contain just as much good material as something like the short run of Mr. Show, because it's been around for so long, but it's wide range of bad material really dilutes it.

Borst
06-07-06, 04:31 PM
Chappelle Show

Mopower
06-07-06, 04:36 PM
A tie between The Chappelle Show and Kids in the Hall. With MadTV a close third.

lordwow
06-07-06, 04:44 PM
SNL... when it was good... years and years and years ago.

Draven
06-07-06, 04:48 PM
KiTH
Mr. Show
The State
Chappelle Show
MadTV (the Nicole Sullivan-Alex Borstein-Will Sasso years)

...in that order

wmansir
06-07-06, 05:13 PM
Mr. Show. KitH was second, but it wasn't that close. I've seen some KitH reruns and they just don't hold up very well. But I agree that they really clicked during the original broadcasts. Maybe it was because the only real competition at the time was a rather vanilla SNL.

adamblast
06-07-06, 05:38 PM
Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. :lol:

Doughboy
06-07-06, 06:14 PM

"Very interesting....but stupid."

slop101
06-07-06, 06:40 PM
I'm waiting for someone to suggest "Hee-Haw"

das Monkey
06-07-06, 06:49 PM
There's a fine line between sketch comedy and a variety show. "They say our love won't pay the rent ..."

Probably <i>Flying Circus</i>.

das

rw2516
06-07-06, 07:11 PM

"You bet your sweet bippy!"

TheAllPurposeNothing
06-07-06, 07:16 PM
As much as I love Python and certain seasons of SNL, SCTV always holds the top spot for me. For people who followed the show and got to know the re-occurring cast of characters, nothing was ever as sublime as SCTV.

The Sammy Maudlin Show, Bobby Bittman, Jerry Todd, The Shmenges, The Great White North, Dr. Tongue, Ted and Edna Boil, Guy Caballero, Edith Prickley, Johnny LaRue, Gus Gustofferson, Farm Film Report, The Fishin' Musican, Dialing for Dollars with Walter Cronkite, Earl Camembert, Bill Needle, Libby Wolffson, Mel's Rockpile, Mrs. Falbo, Mr. Messenger, The Days of the Week, Ed Grimley, and of course, Count Floyd.

And that's just the re-occuring stuff. Add in the one-shot bits, like Ricardo Montalban, Margaret Hamilton, George Carlin and DeForrest Kelley in "Death of a Salesman" and Fred Rogers boxing Julia Childs during "The Battle of the PBS Stars" and you had comic gold.

BTW, where's the love on this poll for "The Ben Stiller Show." Ten times better than Mad TV ever has been.

Oh, and where's "Hee-Haw"?? :)

wendersfan
06-07-06, 08:51 PM
"Hey Grampa, what's for supper?" :lol:

<i>MPFC</i> by a country mile.

Bill Needle
06-07-06, 08:55 PM
Monty Python's Flying Circus, bar none. It is still the atomic clock to which all sketch comedy is set.

The rest, while noble in their attempts, are but pretenders to the throne.

kitkat
06-07-06, 09:02 PM
"You bet your sweet bippy!"
Sock it to me!

And as long as we're geezering out, how about The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour and The Carol Burnett Show?

"I saw it in the window and I couldn't resist." rotfl

Bacon
06-07-06, 09:23 PM
Monty Python

SNL was great ...

when I was still pooping my diapers

JumpCutz
06-07-06, 09:40 PM
SCTV. TheAllPurposeNothing summed it up nicely.

I absolutely love Python and there's been some great stuff on SNL over the years.

I agree Python set the bar, but SCTV perfected the format.
Tough call.

Geofferson
06-07-06, 09:53 PM
The State

Charlie Goose
06-08-06, 06:28 AM
I've never really cared for Monty Python, KitH, or Mad TV.

ILC was great, but I wonder how well it's held up.

Still watching SNL, and enjoying just over half of the episodes each season.

Never saw SCTV.

Never saw Mr. Show, but David Cross is about as funny as leukemia so I can't imagine liking it.

Loved Carol Burnett.

I also liked The Donny & Marie Show. :blush: However, I was just a kid at the time and most shows I liked as a kid are unwatchable to me now.

Chew
06-08-06, 06:45 AM
Of the ones listed, it would be Flying Circus.

dadaluholla
06-08-06, 07:56 AM
Horse Apples
:)

rw2516
06-08-06, 10:59 AM
[I]The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

"Mother always liked you best"

majorjoe23
06-08-06, 12:54 PM
The State and League of Gentlemen for me.

Matthew Chmiel
06-08-06, 01:13 PM
In terms of recent television, Chappelle's Show is the winner. Season two was probably the most perfect season a television show could ever have. Consistantly hitting comedy with very few misses, unlike the first season which a skit would either hit completely or miss badly.

You Can't Do That On Television was ahead of it's time for children's programming and remains a favorite of mine to this day.

The State was ahead of it's time as well, but not as well known as most other sketch shows.

Monty Python's Flying Circus was sheer brilliance all around.

Jimmy James
06-08-06, 02:32 PM
I'm a bit curious as to whether SNL has run longer than the other poll choices combined. I'm guessing that it does sans-Mad TV but that Mad TV has run just long enough to put the others combined on top in terms of seasons.

It's SNL for my money, as funny as most of the others have been at points. SNL just has too much very funny history.

I also have to express my love for The State. I couldn't vote for it even if it were on the list, but I mourn that it didn't catch on better and that there is no way (I know of) to watch that genius stuff.

superdeluxe
06-08-06, 03:31 PM
I will always have a soft spot in me for in living color and the early mad tv years..

Favorites from in living color:
JIm carrey
Jamie Fox
Daman Wayans

Favorite from Mad tv:
Aries spears
Micheal Mcdonald
Will sasso
Mrs Swan.

superdeluxe
06-08-06, 03:32 PM
MadTV (the Nicole Sullivan-Alex Borstein-Will Sasso years)

...in that order

WINNER!

'You look like a man!'

BassDude
06-08-06, 04:20 PM
Went with SNL, but could have said SCTV just as easily.

SNL is just too much a part of society. From movies, to water cooler talk, to sayings/phrases that people adopt and use in daily life.

I'd rate 'em as:

SNL
SCTV
MontyPython
In Living Color (although it is a bit dated.)

Cusm
06-08-06, 07:53 PM
Python
KitH
The State
The Vacant Lot
Chappelle
SNL

riley_dude
06-09-06, 12:19 AM
No love for Ben Stiller show?
I remember an old show called The Edge with Jennifer Aniston that was very funny.
Like Mad TV up until about 3 years ago when the writing got bad and all the good people left.
Little Brittian is my current fave.

FatTony
06-09-06, 10:02 AM
I would have voted for Mr. Show anyway, but runners-up include Chappelle's Show and The State (which needs to come out on DVD already).

adamblast
06-09-06, 11:52 AM
Little Britian is my current fave.I caught Series 1 on the plane heading to a London vacation last year. Great stuff. I love some of the recurring characters more than others--but that's par for any sketch show...(Actually, I think Tom Baker's voiceovers are my favorite part!)

Boot
06-09-06, 01:19 PM
In terms of consistent laughs, it would have to be Mr. Show for me. My heart says Monty Python, and if we were talking about their movies, I could choose them hands down, but I've just never found Flying Circus very funny.

Bill Needle
06-09-06, 05:01 PM
In terms of consistent laughs, it would have to be Mr. Show for me. My heart says Monty Python, and if we were talking about their movies, I could choose them hands down, but I've just never found Flying Circus very funny.
Python's TV series was pretty Anglo-centric. I doubt they ever thought it would be seen outside of England when they started up. The movies were written to appeal to a much, much broader audience. That's probably the difference for many people who feel as you do.

dancinns
06-09-06, 05:20 PM
Little Brittian is my current fave.
:up:

That show is great. I wish they had more episodes in their seasons, though. Their characters are a bit repetitive but that doesn't stop them from being consistently funny. Bitty?!

garmonbozia
06-09-06, 07:34 PM
ever? The State.

runner up? if The League of Gentlemen counts as a sketch-comedy show, then that one.

I also love Little Britain and Exit 57 (a very short-lived sketch comedy that aired on Comedy Central and included most of the cast of Strangers With Candy). I wish Exit 57 would come out on dvd.

best one on this poll list? Python.

riley_dude
06-09-06, 09:43 PM
I caught Series 1 on the plane heading to a London vacation last year. Great stuff. I love some of the recurring characters more than others--but that's par for any sketch show...(Actually, I think Tom Baker's voiceovers are my favorite part!)
And I feel it gets better in season 2 and 3.

That show is great. I wish they had more episodes in their seasons, though. Their characters are a bit repetitive but that doesn't stop them from being consistently funny. Bitty?!

Computer says Nooo.

grem458
06-09-06, 10:24 PM
I love Little Britain and the old Tracey Takes On..., but my all-time favorite is French & Saunders. I've watched those over and over and never seem to get tired of them.

FRwL
06-10-06, 04:10 AM
Will Sasso romps them all. His countless impersonations are unmatched, Seagal, De Niro, Schwarzenneger, Clinton, Brando, Shatner, Tony Soprano, Louie Anderson, all gold. Paul Timberman's Workshop!

Mad TV has been simply atrocious in the past few years that is as clear as day, but when it was well written it was like euphoria on a different plane of comedy, i'm not sure what seasons it was but it was definitely in the 1995-2000 era when it was brilliant.

JuryDuty
06-11-06, 11:49 PM
Someone mentioned You Can't Do That On Television--that's a good answer.

Of recent, my favorite was Kelsey Grammer Presents: The Sketch Show. Wish it had made it longer.

Not sure if Who's Line Is It Anyway? counts, but I laughed much harder at that show that any listed on the poll.

mndtrp
06-12-06, 01:24 AM
Does The Red Green Show count? That would be my answer.

Of the ones listed, Saturday Night Live is probably my favorite. I don't really watch any of them, anymore, though.

AGuyNamedMike
06-12-06, 07:26 AM
On the list presented, SNL (especially classic cast with Aykroyd et al.). I also ride happily on the SCTV bandwagon. Sheer perfection. And let me send out some love for Fridays (Melanie Chartoff :drool: ).

lucasorion
06-12-06, 01:35 PM
is Upright Citizen's Brigade considered a sketch show?

Luther Heggs
06-12-06, 02:18 PM
Jaaaaam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_%28TV_series%29)

CbobbyB
07-04-06, 09:46 PM
In Living Color