Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

AFI--decemberunderground--Anyone?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm an old AFI fan but have heard mixed reviews on this one. I still am planning on picking it up but was wondering if anyone else had thus far...
Old 06-07-06, 01:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
It's good. Lots of mid-tempo, more mellow tracks...but some of the best songs AFI has ever done are on this record. Very poppy, lots of sing a long chants, lots of random AFI "WHOOOOAAAAs" thrown in, and a friggin' fantastic intro. If you are a fan of AFI, especially if you were a fan of Sing the Sorrow, you'll like it. The end (maybe track 10 to the end) tapers off a bit...but up until that point there isn't a dud. Great to run to. W
Old 06-07-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How did I get through the last 15 years never hearing of this band? I may be a little older than most on this forum but I try to keep up with the latest music. This band has completely missed my radar.
Old 06-07-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I first saw the video for Miss Murder, I only caught it halfway through and I was like, "Who is this lame AFI rip off?" but then the credits came on and I was like "ohhhhh no". I loved Sing the Sorrow but I think I'll pass on this one. The intro is cool though.
Old 06-07-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the first single Miss Murder. Kinda catchy. The new album is only 8.99 this week at Circuit City. I'll probably pick it up. They're on this year's Warped Tour on selected dates. They'll be at the Raleigh show, which I'll be attending.
Old 06-07-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I listened to bits and pieces of this and I didn't really dig it. I've never been a huge AFI fan to begin with, but most of their songs I do like are from the pre-Art Of Drowning days.

For all the old-school AFI fans
Old 06-07-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i loved their last cd. sadly this cd isnt so great IMO. they had to adopt the scream of screamo to sound relevent i guess. there are a few good songs..just nothing special.
Old 06-08-06, 11:14 AM

Black Sails and Art of Drowning were inordinately better than Sing the Sorrow, and im hearing that the new album is more of the same, or in many cases, even worse than Sing the Sorrow. Which is basically anathema to me.
Old 06-11-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I liked Sing the Sorrow, but haven't heard any of the new stuff yet. Unfortunately, they aren't going to be at my Warped Tour.
Old 06-11-06, 12:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've been listening to Decemberunderground off-and-on for the last few days, and it's growing on me. Not as many "hits" as Sing the Sorrow, but I think it's pretty solid over-all. I don't think it's as good as Black Sails, Art of Drowning, or Sing the Sorry, but it's far from bad.
Old 06-12-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Got it & like it. There are some pretty dang good songs on there, maybe a few too many "WAAAAAAAAAAAAH"s, but the dude sure does have the voice...
Old 06-12-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"decemberunderground is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world." - Davey Havok

I just can't do it when I found that quote.
Old 06-12-06, 06:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yah, that quote got a big from me too. I guess you just have to seperate the art from the artist.
Old 06-12-06, 09:30 PM

Not as solid as an album as Sing the Sorrow, but it has its moments. Love Like Winter is a killa track
Old 06-15-06, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by uteotw
Got it & like it. There are some pretty dang good songs on there, maybe a few too many "WAAAAAAAAAAAAH"s, but the dude sure does have the voice...
That's a male? Wow.