Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Philips DVP 5960 (HDMI) on sale at CC for 69.99

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gearing up to upgrade my philips 642 (which I love) to the DVP5960. It has all the same features as the 642 (region free hack, PAL to NTSC, divx/xvid) plus it has it support for divx 6.0, upscales to 1080i and has HDMI output and USB 1.1 input.
No s-video output though.
If you need more then one - there is a 15 off 100 coupon at CC retailers for fathers day. Goes active 6/9

I'm getting two (1 for me and 1 for a friend) on Friday. I let you know how it goes.
Old 06-07-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find the hack at videohelp.com. Just click on "DVD Hacks" on the left-hand side and then type the model number. It's a simple hack by just punching in a few numbers on your remote.
Old 06-08-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a review of this player here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Philips_DVP5...2.html?tag=nav

One of the customer reviews at the bottom claims it can't pass DTS. Anyone confirm this?
Old 06-08-06, 01:33 PM

For the lazy,

Region Hack:

1. Turn on the unit
2. Open the loading tray
3. Press the "Setup" button on the remote
4. Navigate to the "Preferences" page using the right arrow key
5. Enter 138931
6. You will now see the current region code displayed
7. Use the Up/Down arrow keys to select the region required or "0" for all regions
8. Press the "Setup" button on the remote
9. Press "OK" on the remote

Now onto other things, I'm not sure how true this is (I don't have a CC near me to check) but there some issues creeping up:

NO DTS
NO Optical audio out
NO upscale over component

If this is true, WTH Philips? I find this type of skimping to be odd. More so on the supposed lack of DTS. My Toshiba from 99 does DTS.
Old 06-08-06, 01:49 PM

re: the DTS, I'm confused on this point. It has a digital coaxial output, so wouldn't it just feed into your A/V receiver (assuming it has a DTS decoder)? In other words, it has no built in DTS decoder but the player should be able to pass the signal. Is it that most people prefer to have the decoders on the player vs the receiver?

Last edited by dleedlee; 06-08-06 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dleedlee
In other words, it has no built in DTS decoder but the player should be able to pass the signal.
Not necessarily so. I bought a Trutech DVD Recorder and had a coaxial cable connecting it and my DTS receiver, and still no go. If a player isn't set to play DTS, regardless of decoder, you can't hear it.
Old 06-08-06, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy
Not necessarily so. I bought a Trutech DVD Recorder and had a coaxial cable connecting it and my DTS receiver, and still no go. If a player isn't set to play DTS, regardless of decoder, you can't hear it.
Wow, I never knew that! All these years, I've blindly bought players and I never considered that was even possible. What actually determines that capability, hardware, firmware?
Old 06-08-06, 03:12 PM

I went onto the Philips website and did a chat with a rep to settle the whole DTS Debacle. This is what I got:

Customer Service ...
Customer Service ... Good day! This is Laurie of the Customer Care Department. How may I help you today?
User306/Guest y
User306/Guest Hi
User306/Guest I have a question on the dvp5960
User306/Guest is it true it does not support DTS? As in if i have DTS only disc there will be no sound?
Customer Service ... I'll be happy to assist you.
Customer Service ... Will you give me a minute a or two as I check on this information?
User306/Guest sure
Customer Service ... Thank you for waiting. Yes, this player does not support DTS.
Customer Service ...
User306/Guest Well. crap. Is there a compariable unit that does?
Customer Service ... Let me check. Please give me another minute or two as I check.
User306/Guest ok
User306/Guest thanks
Customer Service ...
Customer Service ... Thank you for waiting. You could check the model number dvp3040/37 and dvp5140.
User306/Guest ok. excellent
User306/Guest thank you

Well, crap d00d. w/o DTS this player is useless to me. Not that my ears can tell the difference between dolby and dts on my puny sound system but I come across a lot of discs overseas that are DTS only. Oh well. I'll just keep my trusty 642 around.

Last edited by squidget; 06-08-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 02:42 AM

Isn't it the case that it does not have a 5.1 decoder build-in, but is able to forward the DD signal to a A/V receiver which can decode 5.1? It does support Dolby Digital according to the specs.

From www.dolby.com:

10. Do all program sources with Dolby Digital decoding provide
5.1-channel sound?

As with Dolby Digital program material, "Dolby Digital" on a component such as a DVD player indicates that it incorporates Dolby Digital decoding, but not the number of channels.

Many program sources, including all DVD players and digital cable set-top boxes, provide a built-in, two-channel Dolby Digital decoder with analog stereo outputs. For 5.1-channel playback, most units have a separate digital output for connection to an external unit, such as an A/V receiver, that has its own 5.1-channel Dolby Digital decoder.

Some DVD players do provide a built-in Dolby Digital 5.1-channel decoder with multiple analog outputs that can be connected directly to a "Dolby Digital-ready" receiver, as described in question 11, for 5.1-channel sound. However, you will not be able to use the internal Dolby Digital decoder for other program sources, and these players don't offer the full range of options provided by external Dolby Digital decoder units. On the other hand, they are an inexpensive way to upgrade to 5.1-channel Dolby Digital initially, and provide a digital output so that you can later bypass the built-in decoder and use an external one.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...faq_1.html#q10

From the dvp9560 Manual:
Digital Audio Setup
The options included in Digital Audio
Setup are: ‘Digital Output’ and ‘LPCM
Output’.
1 In ‘AUDIO SETUP PAGE’, press 3 4 to
highlight {DIGITAL AUDIO SETUP}, then
press 2.
2 Press the 3 4 keys to highlight an option.
3 Enter its submenu by pressing 2.
4 Press 3 4 to select a setting, then press
OK to confirm your selection.
Digital Output
Set the Digital output according to your
optional audio equipment connection.
➜Off: Turn off the digital output.
➜All: If you have connected your
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT to a multi-channel
decoder/receiver.
➜PCM Only: Only if your receiver is
not capable of decoding multi-channel
audio.
Helpful Hint:
– If DIGITAL OUTPUT is set to ‘All’, all
audio settings except MUTE are invalid.
PDF:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/d...05_pss_eng.pdf
Old 07-06-06, 01:28 PM

yes, it supports DD digital via passthru but not DTS passthru. This isn't a problem for most US discs because they support both (DD and DTS) but I have few discs from overseas that do not have a DD track (Jackie Chan's The Myth comes to mind) only DTS so there wouldn't be any sound at all.
Old 07-06-06, 04:27 PM

Why did they take a step back? I mean the video is hdmi, but they stopped supporting dts? Doesn't make sense to me... Somebody needs to buy this and test it out.
Old 07-06-06, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by zerotl
Why did they take a step back? I mean the video is hdmi, but they stopped supporting dts? Doesn't make sense to me... Somebody needs to buy this and test it out.
who knows why they didn't do DTS. Cheap lazy bastards? A few folks over at FW purchased this unit and had to return it because it indeed does not support DTS. I don't have a CC near me to test this theory myself.
Old 09-04-06, 02:46 AM

Firmware upgrade

There is a firmware upgrade available at the Philips website, version # ends with .34 while my installed out of the box version was .17.

I upgraded yesterday (Sep 3 2006 ) and now it does transmit DTS on the digital out! You'll need a DTS capable receiver to do the decoding.

Several other issues are solved too with this new firmware.

Regards, QubyB
Old 09-04-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where are you seeing this firmware version? The one I see on the website is 37.06.42.29 and was updated August 23rd. Can you provide a link to the one you are talking about?
Old 09-05-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I found out for myself. I bought the player and used the #29 firmware upgrade that's on the Philips site right now. I confirm that it works, so all those who want this player, THE DVP 5960 IS NOW DTS COMPATIBLE.

However, I do have a problem. The video image is slightly squashed when in 1080i mode. On a 1.85:1 aspect ratio, it should fill the screen on a 16:9 TV, however with this Philips player, you get a small sliver of a black bar at the bottom of the screen. Black bars on 2.35:1 movies are also a tad thicker and if you look carefully, faces aren't as oval-shaped as they should be. The effect is minor, but it is there. I think I'll be taking this player back to the store as well....and on goes the search.
Old 09-05-06, 05:18 PM

Firmware versions

To avoid confusion, the latest firmware versions (August 2006) are:

Europe: 12 .... 34
USA: 37 .... 29
Old 09-07-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know if this new firmware also fixes the issue with the optical out reverting to 2.0 instead of outputting 5.1 while the HDMI is in use?
Old 09-08-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Anyone know if this new firmware also fixes the issue with the optical out reverting to 2.0 instead of outputting 5.1 while the HDMI is in use?
Yes. Look here:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/na4/d/dvp...37_fur_eng.pdf
Old 09-10-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet, I might have to pick up this player again. I brought it home and set it up with the HDMI connection and I thought the picture was fantastic for the price, but the lack of DTS/5.1 output made me take it back immediately.
Old 09-12-06, 03:59 PM

Yeah I might have to get one now as well. I didn't see anything on the link about about upscaling only on HDMI, I assume that is still true?
Old 09-12-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No upscaling to higher resolution on component output.
Old 09-12-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I picked this up tonight and it does look great with HDMI and the DTS works perfectly. My only nitpick is that when upscaling is activated, there is a noticable black bar at the bottom of the screen. It's not a big deal when watching 2.35:1 since it just blends into the other bars, but with 16x9 material it is somewhat distracting having a bar on the bottom and not the top. I've just switched it back to 480p instead of 720p/1080i for now and it still looks great.
Old 09-12-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mentioned the black bar problem in an earlier post. It's not just a black bar, it's actually squashing the image.
Old 09-13-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dullboy
I mentioned the black bar problem in an earlier post. It's not just a black bar, it's actually squashing the image.
I went back to watching everything in 480p which has no black bar issue. There doesn't seem to be much of a change in image quality since I'm guessing that my TV has a good enough scaler internally so the upscaling on the player is just redundant.
Old 01-04-07, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by squidget
I'm gearing up to upgrade my philips 642 (which I love) to the DVP5960. It has all the same features as the 642 (region free hack, PAL to NTSC, divx/xvid) plus it has it support for divx 6.0, upscales to 1080i and has HDMI output and USB 1.1 input.
No s-video output though.
If you need more then one - there is a 15 off 100 coupon at CC retailers for fathers day. Goes active 6/9

I'm getting two (1 for me and 1 for a friend) on Friday. I let you know how it goes.

Can anyone tell me if it really works with xvid? Because is not mentioned in philips website http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...CSHQNHKFSESI5P

There is any difference between Philips DVP 5960/12 and DVP5960/05?

Thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.