Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Preston died today.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/06/D8I2RTD00.html

Singer-Songwriter Billy Preston Dead at 59

Jun 06 1:42 PM US/Eastern

PHOENIX

Billy Preston, the exuberant keyboardist who landed dream gigs with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and enjoyed his own series of hit singles, including "Outta Space" and "Nothing From Nothing," died Tuesday at 59.

Preston's longtime manager, Joyce Moore, said Preston had been in a coma since November in a care facility and was taken to a hospital in Scottsdale Saturday after his condition deteriorated.

"He had a very, very beautiful last few hours and a really beautiful passing," Moore said by telephone from Germany. "He went home good."

Preston, who had battled chronic kidney failure, had undergone a kidney transplant in 2002, but the kidney failed and he has been on dialysis treatments ever since, Moore said earlier this year.

Known for his big smile and towering afro, Preston was a teen prodigy on the piano and organ, and lent his gospel-tinged touch to classics such as the Beatles' "Get Back" and the Stones' "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?"

He broke out as a solo artist in the 1970s, winning a best instrumental Grammy in 1973 for "Outta Space," and scoring other hits with "Will It Go 'Round In Circles," "Nothing From Nothing" and "With You I'm Born Again," a duet with Syreeta Wright.

I always Loved Billy.

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 06-06-06 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was just watching Beatles Anthology where he came in and helped them make peace by just being there and having a positive attitude.
Old 06-06-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

RIP Dude. Long live the Wyld Stallions!

j/k of course
Old 06-06-06, 03:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My father knew Billy Preston and I met him a few times when I was a kid. Just last week we were talking about the old Amos and Andy Show and he told me that Billy's mother was the woman who The Kingfish's wife Saphirre. I'm a big old time radio fan and I never knew that little bit of trivia and although I haven't verified it, my dad met the woman so I'll assume he knows what he's talking about.
Old 06-06-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I loved, loved "Will It Go Round in Circles" and "Nothin' From Nothin'". They're going on my ipod tonight, dammit!

RIP
Old 06-06-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Too bad.

RIP
Old 06-06-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Just read this on AOL and it sucks.
Originally Posted by The Edit King
He broke out as a solo artist in the 1970s, winning a best instrumental Grammy in 1973 for "Outta Space," and scoring other hits with "Will It Go 'Round In Circles," "Nothing From Nothing" and "With You I'm Born Again," a duet with Syreeta Wright.
All on my iPod. I'll give 'em a spin on my radio show tomorrow.

Old 06-06-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Pitchfork used his obit to take a stab at the Red Hot Chili Peppers:

Later in his life, Preston suffered several major indignities: being sentenced to a three-year jail term following a bail violation, performing on the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium, and, worst of all, performing as the title character in the abysmal film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Old 06-06-06, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a cool pic of Billy Preston, John Entwistle and myself having lunch (the lady that I was with snapped our pic) at the Townsend Hotel in the Detroit area (Troy or Birmingham, I believe). It was taken on their tour with Ringo Starr.

Now I'll miss 'em both...damn.
Old 06-06-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I have a cool pic of Billy Preston, John Entwistle and myself having lunch (the lady that I was with snapped our pic) at the Townsend Hotel in the Detroit area (Troy or Birmingham, I believe). It was taken on their tour with Ringo Starr.

POST IT!

Yeah, it sucks when people die young....
Old 06-06-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I swear to god I thought Billy Preston was black.
Old 06-07-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a few weeks ago I was looking at the credits for Stadium Arcadium and thinking, "No way, that can't be him." He's had quite the career. He will definitely live on forever through his music.

Originally Posted by cungar
Pitchfork used his obit to take a stab at the Red Hot Chili Peppers:

Later in his life, Preston suffered several major indignities: being sentenced to a three-year jail term following a bail violation, performing on the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium, and, worst of all, performing as the title character in the abysmal film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Sad to see Pitchfork can't even stop being pretentious in an obituary.
Old 06-07-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla

I saw that tour and loved getting the chance to see Billy and with Ringo again to boot. He got up from the piano and danced just like I remembered him doing on The Concert for Bangladesh.

RIP Billy .... 'That's the Way God Planned It'.
Video

Last edited by nazz; 06-08-06 at 01:40 AM.