Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The World's Fastest Indian'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read Scott Lombardo's review of The World's Fastest Indian and...

I'd like to say thanks for providing the screenshots and information about the OAR & DVD release of the film. Had somebody just said "this isn't OAR" I wouldn't have picked this up, however with the comments about most of the shots being open frame (although one shot isn't, but is understandable given the content on that screenshot), I'll probably go ahead and get this release. It looks like the original framing, and the re-framing, were both done with the home video enthusiast in mind, so I'm ok with it.

I also do appreciate the background on the writer/producer/director, it's definitely a plus in most cases, so see a enthusiast tackle a project like this.
Old 06-05-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I'm curious where those 2.35:1 screenshots come from? Is there a trailer or featurette on the disc with the movie clips matted that way?
Old 06-05-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They came from the extras provided on the DVD.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 06-05-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShagMan
I have read Scott Lombardo's review of The World's Fastest Indian and...

I'd like to say thanks for providing the screenshots and information about the OAR & DVD release of the film. Had somebody just said "this isn't OAR" I wouldn't have picked this up, however with the comments about most of the shots being open frame (although one shot isn't, but is understandable given the content on that screenshot), I'll probably go ahead and get this release. It looks like the original framing, and the re-framing, were both done with the home video enthusiast in mind, so I'm ok with it.

I also do appreciate the background on the writer/producer/director, it's definitely a plus in most cases, so see a enthusiast tackle a project like this.
Thank you for the kind words ShagMan. Hope you enjoy the DVD!!
Old 06-05-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
They came from the extras provided on the DVD.
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 06-08-06, 07:39 PM

The screenshots don't jive with the online trailer. Take a look:

I saw Roger Donaldson last night at the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA where he gave a talk about the film. I wish I had read this review beforehand so I could've asked him about this. I am definitely unhappy with this reframing and am hoping (but not holding my breath) for a replacement copy.
Old 06-08-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The screenshot's I took were from the "Making Of" documentary on the DVD. I agree with the addition of the trailer screencap, something wasn't quite right with the framing on that particular shot. Thus I replaced that particular shot from review. On the other hand, all the other screenshot's I took from the "Making Of" looked correctly framed in 2.35:1.

Upon revisiting the "Making Of" doc, I found an image of Roger Donaldson's shooting monitor. You can clearly see the 1.78:1 framing box in the bottom left of the image. I really don't know what more proof you'd need than that...

Last edited by Heliosphann; 06-08-06 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched this last night, great movie!

The vintage 27 minute movie about the real guy was pretty good too.

The visuals for the runs were great, as well as the sound, wow!

Some of the shots were amazingly detailed too, like the first shot of "Tony"'s face and hand when he wakes up.

I was NOT impressed with the "making of" for the movie... it was just a bunch of talking heads patting each other on the back, for 45 minutes. No actual "making of" to speak of. Where's the talk about effects, location shoots, and the vintage props/vehicles? I found out from IMDB that there were supposedly two indians made for props and two high-speed bikes that were Ducatis. Where's a mention of WETA/Peter Jackson (there's a thanks to him/studio in the credits). I was let down by the doc immensely.

It amazes me that one of the speed records (per the movie anyway) has never been beat to this day, good stuff.

Last edited by ShagMan; 06-15-06 at 06:01 AM.