Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tori Amos starts recording new album this week...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-04-06, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's hoping it doesn't suck as bad as the last album.

Also, supposedly Sept will get a Rarities boxed set.
Old 06-04-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Also, supposedly Sept will get a Rarities boxed set.
Are we thinking this will be songs like: Flying Dutchman, Upside Down, Take to the Sky, Smells Like Teen Spirit, and the like? Maybe some of her live covers as well?

That would be amazing.
Old 06-04-06, 07:52 PM
Banned

I'm assuming it would be b-sides as opposed to live stuff. That's what i'm guessing. Since i already have all of them, it'd be no biggie. But I guess i'll still pick it up anyway. I"m assuming she'll throw in a few that have never been released. Although she said she'll never let it see the light of day, would be nice to hear her cover of Like A Virgin.
Old 06-04-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I'm assuming it would be b-sides as opposed to live stuff. That's what i'm guessing. Since i already have all of them, it'd be no biggie. But I guess i'll still pick it up anyway.
I'm in the same boat as you. I'll pick it up even though I'll most likely already have everything. A complete b-side boxset would be nice to have if only to have all the tracks together, but I fear it will be an incomplete collection on one or two discs.

FWIW, I've burned my Tori Amos singles/sountrack/etc. collection into 4 CDs worth of studio b-sides; 2 CDs of live recordings (I'm missing a few of these tracks, most notably the ones from the Limited Crucify Live EP); and 2 CDs of remixes (would've been even more but I limited myself to only one or two mixes per song at the most).

The track I'm really hoping this collection will have is "It Might Hurt a Little Bit" with singer Michael Stipe. I've been waiting to hear that song for 10 years now.

In other Tori news, a remastered version of the Sister Named Desire B-side will be released July 18th on "Where's Neil When You Need Him?", a tribute album to Neil Gaiman.
Old 06-04-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
"sucks" is kinda harsh. For me, I think "SW" is her best.

Then again, that's when I took the plunge and started listening to her..

Regardless...this is good news.
Old 06-05-06, 06:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohh.. a rarities box

And come on, The Beekeeper wasn't that bad... Sure, a few songs weren't so good on it "The Power of Orange Knickers"

But some of the songs were great.
Besides, its Tori. A mediocre Tori album is better then all that pre-packaged crap singers the labels manufacture. Or the I'm a teen actress on the Disney channel, wait, now I'm a pop singer.
Old 06-05-06, 08:15 AM
Banned

As someone who's been a fan of Tori's since LE, The Beekeeper is a Huge Massive Boring Unimaginative FLOP.
Old 06-05-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Only Tori album I can't stomach is 'SW'. Anything else is golden.
Old 06-05-06, 08:29 PM

Thumbs up to a rarities set - I've only got a handful of the early singles so it'll be nice to have proper copies of all those wonderful b-sides ['Flying Dutchman'...mmmm]...if, of course, that's what it turns out to be.

Thumbs down to a new album - the studio disc of "To Venus and Back" was half-decent at best, and it's all been downhill since then. I've given up hope she can recover, to be honest. Maybe she'll surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 06-05-06, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brokenhanger
Thumbs up to a rarities set - I've only got a handful of the early singles so it'll be nice to have proper copies of all those wonderful b-sides ['Flying Dutchman'...mmmm]...if, of course, that's what it turns out to be.

Thumbs down to a new album - the studio disc of "To Venus and Back" was half-decent at best, and it's all been downhill since then. I've given up hope she can recover, to be honest. Maybe she'll surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath.
Venus and Choirgirl are my all time favs. I've actually scratched the Plugged disc so much that I have to buy a new one. Hands down best tour. "Rockin' Tori" was definitely my girl. I like her with an edge and pissed.
Old 06-06-06, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Ohh.. a rarities box

And come on, The Beekeeper wasn't that bad... Sure, a few songs weren't so good on it "The Power of Orange Knickers"

But some of the songs were great.
Besides, its Tori. A mediocre Tori album is better then all that pre-packaged crap singers the labels manufacture. Or the I'm a teen actress on the Disney channel, wait, now I'm a pop singer.
Another appreciation vote for the Beekeeper here! Sure, it doesn't get much play from me but I think us Tori Fans were maybe too accustomed to her usual introspective rage? Remember she's a mother and wife now, things that might have turned her a little more happy-go-lucky. Actually, I'm just hearing it now and there's some really great songs there, maybe a little too long? Which makes me think Tori should make a more streamlined album next time, no more than 60 minutes. It's a little weird saying this, 'cause she's so talented all these songs keep pouring from her, but sometimes a little editing for the sake of better sequencing wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited by polietilen; 06-06-06 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 03:43 PM
Banned

I think that all of Tori's music is pretty good. In fact, I am listening to 'Scarlet's Walk" album on Napsterlinks. I like that album alot, so i've been repeating the album frequently on Napsterlinks.

http://www.napster.com/player/album/10736149
You can listen to the entire album along with the full length songs by clicking on the link above, and entering your email address and login name. It's pretty cool.