DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Lucky Louie- HBO's 1st sitcom premiering 6/11

brtcmfn
06-04-06, 07:40 AM
I went to a comedy club last night and saw Lisa Lampanelli.
On my chair was the DVD for the 1st episode of this show that premieres on HBO 6/11 to promote the show.
It's labeled as HBO's 1st sitcom, and stars comedian Louis CK and is filmed before a live studio audience- So there is no "canned" laughter. The show was pretty funny and more of a real scenerio of the way a sitcom should be. It's definitely HBO material :)

MasterCXtreme
06-04-06, 12:47 PM
He's a pretty funny stand-up, I caught his One Night Stand a few times. I'll check it out.

Mordred
06-04-06, 01:35 PM
I saw the pilot for this at least a year ago, and hated it. It was trying WAY to hard to be edgy and funny, but I was bored to tears. Lame masturbation jokes, mostly unfunny racial humor, etc. I was not impressed. Maybe they retooled it somewhat, but on the commercial I only saw jokes I'd seen before. I don't see this one getting a 2nd season.

clckworang
06-04-06, 04:22 PM
HBO's first sitcom? :hscratch:

What would you call Curb Your Enthusiasm, Extras (although I know that technically it was a BBC show) and some of the other comedies they have had?

Matthew Chmiel
06-04-06, 04:33 PM
HBO's first sitcom? :hscratch:
Technically, HBO's first multi-camera sitcom.

das Monkey
06-04-06, 04:38 PM
It's all semantics, and most people consider a "sitcom" to be any 30-minute comedy, but in my mind a "sitcom" is more a traditional formula (3 or 4 fixed three-wall sets, multi-camera production, audience/canned laughter, etc). I just don't think of more elaborate single-camera shows like <i>Arrested Development</i> or <i>Scrubs</i> as "sitcoms". So, I understand what they mean by calling it their "1st sitcom", and I don't think there is a name to describe the other category, other than "comedy".

das

clckworang
06-04-06, 09:59 PM
^^^ I can kind of see that, but I think it's more in the nature of the subject matter of the show and how it's told. Like, I would be more likely to call Scrubs a sitcom than Arrested Development because of the stories it tells and how the show is structured, for the most part. And to me, Curb Your Enthusiasm is completely a sitcom, but whatever. :shrug:

Michael Ballack
06-04-06, 11:21 PM
I'll be watching since I'm a big fan of Jim Norton from the Opie and Anthony show. I'm not sure about the sitcom/live audience part of the show though. I hate shows that have people laughing so you're supposed to know what joke to laugh at. The previews make the show look like a dirtier modern age honeymooners though. I'll give it a shot. O and A fans should also watch Tourgasm to hear the famous "I broke me knee man" from Bob Kelly. I can't wait for that.

Tommy Ceez
06-05-06, 03:32 AM
I too am watching for Jim Norton

outcastja
06-05-06, 04:05 AM
I also got the same DVD, haven't watched it yet. Probably will just wait until next week when it premieres. I went to see Louis CK at a show a couple months back, unfortunately he was doing the same material he did on HBO One Night Stand. Like others here, I'm mainly watching it for Jim Norton, he was great on Tough Crowd.

Charlie Goose
06-05-06, 09:41 AM
Jim Norton is indeed hilarious. I like Louis C.K.'s standup too, so I'll be checking it out. However, a foul-mouthed sitcom in front of a live audience? How much time will be wasted with all the whooping and hollering with every dick joke?

Brent L
06-06-06, 02:36 AM
Go here to watch the series premiere:

http://www.tv.com/lucky-louie/show/22532/summary.html

I haven't watched it yet, but I will pretty soon.

Matthew Chmiel
06-06-06, 04:21 AM

I am shocked FOX didn't pick up this show and put it back-to-back with The War at Home.

BassDude
06-06-06, 05:40 PM
I plan ta give it shot.

Never heard of Norton or Louis CK, but I like HBO's comedies.

(except Arliss of course)

wmansir
06-06-06, 06:49 PM
Watched the online episode. I'm not sure what kind of gimmick they are going for with the "sitcom" thing, but the production quality appeared very poor. Many other shows are filmed in front of a live audience but this one seems to be intentionally playing up the staged aspect of the show. Perhaps the online episode isn't the final product, otherwise they almost seem to be going for a filmed theatrical play feel.

As far as the content, it was alright. I got a few good laughs but it didn't seem to flow very well. Given the 'mature' aspect of the show they held out a respectable 15 minutes before they relied entirely on vulgarity to carry a bit ("why won't he fuck me?"). The acting was pretty bad across the board, but I think most of these people are comedians first, plus the 'on stage' aspect didn't help sell the scenes.

SoSpacey
06-12-06, 11:31 AM
As a big Norton fan I had to give it a shot.

Eh.

Some good laughs but they took some real hacky sitcom stories and dirtied them up. A lot of predictable jokes.

I liked the opening scene with the daughter but the why's got annoying after a while.

Definately seemed like they were really trying too hard to be edgy. Like they decided t oconcentrate more on the vulgarity then on the content.

I would have rather seen them focus on the story and jokes and just not care about whether the language or subject matter was vulgar.

Instead they revolved a story line around vulgarity.

I hate first episodes so I will definitely give it another shot.

lewisb73
06-12-06, 11:43 AM
It got better for me the longer it went on, I was bored at the beginning save for the moment the daughter opened the "gun" from her uncle and started waving it around

Ill give it a shot, it gets worse, Ill stop watching

Geofferson
06-12-06, 12:24 PM
Simply so-so, IMO. I'll give it a chance though...

Luther Heggs
06-12-06, 12:38 PM
Felt like a by-the-numbers network sitcom with a slightly more talented cast and the word "fuck" for spice. I will tune in to the next episode because the "I've worked a double shift, so release the doves" bit in the preview was the funniest line all night.

raven56706
06-12-06, 12:52 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz it was pretty bad but will give it another shot

Al Padrino
06-12-06, 01:08 PM
I'm a big CK fan, but forgot to check this out. From the previews I saw, it looked like a lot of his stand-up material's been incorporated into the show.

MasterCXtreme
06-12-06, 01:17 PM
I'm a big CK fan, but forgot to check this out. From the previews I saw, it looked like a lot of his stand-up material's been incorporated into the show.
It was. But that happens with almost all comedian's sitcoms.

Not bad, not great. Some laughs... I'll sit through it anyways to watch Tourgasm after Deadwood & Entourage.

dvd182
06-12-06, 01:37 PM
It was. But that happens with almost all comedian's sitcoms.

Not bad, not great. Some laughs... I'll sit through it anyways to watch Tourgasm after Deadwood & Entourage.

This was average, but Tourgasm was terrible.

vegasbaby
06-12-06, 02:07 PM
'0' Stars in the NY Post.

Was the lame set supposed to be an in-joke?

If not, their budget must be like a Mailclerks salary.

Flay
06-12-06, 02:36 PM
Wow, Lucky Louie was terrible, almost as horrific as Tourgasm.

shizawn
06-12-06, 02:45 PM
Yeah, not impressed with the first episode either. I'll give it another chance or two before pulling the plug.

raven56706
06-12-06, 02:58 PM
tourgasm sucked even more...

sven
06-12-06, 03:30 PM
Didnt like it at all. Its just another sitcom only on this one they cuss.

clckworang
06-12-06, 04:29 PM
I was very disappointed in this show and Tourgasm. Lucky Louie did give me a couple of laughs, but overall, I just found it pretty stale, despite the fact that they could cuss. But I'll give it another try because I can see where it could get better and there isn't much else on right now anyway.

And the same goes for Tourgasm. I'm sure I'll end up watching all of those episodes because I have a friend who doesn't have HBO and loves Dane Cook, who I think can be kinda amusing sometimes but is way overrated by many of his fans.

McHawkson
06-12-06, 04:43 PM
I laughed few scenes and I agreed that the show is weak and too genetic.

But remember not all pilot shows are great. Seinfeld’s pilot was horrible, so does Roseanne. The question is will they develop into better show?

Turd Ferguson
06-12-06, 05:04 PM
tourgasm sucked even more...

Dane Cook's friend who introduces the shows is a total pussy.

mdc3000
06-12-06, 05:20 PM
Didn't really like Lucky Louie at all. It had a few good laughs, but felt way too staged. The sets were HORRIBLE and the lack of structure to the episode really hurt it IMO...not to mention some of the jokes just totally bombed. It certainly doesn't have an easy timeslot either, because it definitely pales in comparison to Entourage....but because of that timeslot, I'm willing to give it another shot or two...

MATT

BassDude
06-12-06, 05:33 PM
I only caught the second half and laughed a couple times. Didn't really expect much more than that. I'll watch the whole show off the DVR soon and see what's up.

Which one was Norton from OandA?

illini420
06-12-06, 05:43 PM
This was average, but Tourgasm was terrible.

Read my mind.

Although, I would say this was average based upon HBO standards. To me, it was above average compared to what passes for comedy on network television.

Was Tourgasm supposed to be funny?

SPiRAL
06-12-06, 06:35 PM
Dane Cook's friend who introduces the shows is a total pussy.

Read my mind as well.

On another note, when the hell did Turtle start doing stand-up ? ;)

Cusm
06-12-06, 07:06 PM
Tourgasm was a horrible version of the good Comedy Central's Comedians of Comedy.

DRG
06-12-06, 07:55 PM
Very odd show. Profanity aside, it felt like a really early Fox sitcom, or maybe like a syndicated sitcom from the 80s. In a way I kind of liked the low rent feel of it, it sort of felt like I was watching a dirty comedy play instead of a sitcom.

That said, it was very much a recycling of standard sitcom cliches, just with a dirty edge. Some of the jokes were good, but a lot fell flat as well. Maybe they are trying to satirize sitcoms in a way, much like That's My Bush attempted to do. I could see it getting old quickly if they don't get more ambitious with the storylines.

DRG
06-12-06, 08:00 PM
And since it appears we're discussing Tourgasm in this thread, a big disappointment. The problem for me is none of the comedians came off as funny when they were off stage. The opening guy is a whiny bitch. The fat guy is just an obnoxious prick. Gary is just too bleh. And Dane is just trying too hard to be cool and likable to everyone. It's either boring or annoying when they're sitting around, which is the backbone of the show.

Michael Ballack
06-12-06, 09:49 PM
I only caught the second half and laughed a couple times. Didn't really expect much more than that. I'll watch the whole show off the DVR soon and see what's up.

Which one was Norton from OandA?

Norton plays Rich, the creepy drug dealer friend who told the one guy he'd meet him in the bathroom. If you ask me, Norton was the best part of the show. I'll probablly continue to watch the show since I have nothing else to do on Sundays, but I don't know I'd give it as many shots as I would if I wasn't a fan of Norton.

Positives
The wife is attractive to me, hopefully we can see her in the nude.
The daughter was a cutie
Jim Norton plays a creep very well.
Laughed at a few jokes including the Pussy is the source of financial ruin or something like that.
The fat guy with the moustache is very good and I've seen him in a lot of other stuff.

Negatives
The friend at the supermarket slapping the meat. That made me cringe.
The "why" scene went on a little too long, I know it was supposed to be uncomfortable, but I wanted to slap the little girl and I don't even believe in corporal punishment.
Some of the supporting cast including the black couple just didn't do anything for me.
Why is he jerking off in a closet? They don't have a bathroom to do it in?
Laugh track or not, I'm done with sitcoms with anyone laughing. I prefer new comedies like Curb and Entourage without audiences.
I know they were going for a modern day Honeymooners feel to the sets, but they are too distracting in hi def for me.

McHawkson
06-12-06, 10:42 PM
Why is he jerking off in a closet? They don't have a bathroom to do it in?
I guess you missed the part where little girl said she's taking bath.

clckworang
06-12-06, 10:49 PM
You know, probably my favorite part of the first episode of Tourgasm was when Dane crashed during his little race. You know it's not a good sign when someone's favorite part of a show was when the main guy gets hurt.

And I'll agree with the above poster about the one line from Lucky Louie, something along the lines of the pussy is the source of financial ruin. That was a pretty good line. And I can't decide whether I kinda like the cheap sets or I really hate them. As someone else said, I kinda don't mind them because I look at it more as watching a play, but on the other hand, all of us really noticed the sets. And to me, good sets are usually ones that look real and don't necessarily call attention to themselves. I realize it was a stylistic choice, but it may not be the best one.

david12
06-12-06, 11:57 PM
I thought Lucky Louie was pretty good. With that said, Louie CK was the only comic that made me laugh when HBO did their One Night Stand stuff last year. And yes, some of it was stale and used up...but I still laughed a lot. The bit where his wife was trying to suduce him and Louie shouted in her ass "We CANT AFFORD IT." Classic stuff.

And when have pilots ever been good? Go back and look at any 'classic' sitcom from the last twenty years and tell me their pilot is among the best thing they did. Give it time...it'll get better.

Michael Ballack
06-13-06, 12:40 AM
I guess you missed the part where little girl said she's taking bath.

That's no excuse!!!! :mad: He should enjoy it more.

J/k Using a little bit of Jim Norton humour myself. :eyebrow:

Roto
06-13-06, 12:41 AM
Didn't really like Lucky Louie at all. It had a few good laughs, but felt way too staged.
I liked most of the jokes, but the acting was pretty stiff. I'm hoping they'll get better after a few shows and it's just due to inexperience. Lots of comedians in the cast.

ShallowHal
06-13-06, 02:39 AM
I'm hoping it will get better, I really don't like Laura Kightlinger. I've never thought she was funny.

SPiRAL
06-13-06, 02:51 AM
Positives
The wife is attractive to me, hopefully we can see her in the nude.

She is the voice of Bobby Hill. She and her character remind me alot of Leah Remini.

atari2600
06-13-06, 04:00 AM

where do you click to watch it? i think im blind because i dont see it.

mphtrilogy
06-13-06, 08:38 AM
I kinda liked it

wmansir
06-13-06, 09:04 AM
where do you click to watch it? i think im blind because i dont see it.

Looks like they pulled it after the HBO premiere Sunday night.

FantasticVSDoom
06-13-06, 09:31 AM
I'm hoping it will get better, I really don't like Laura Kightlinger. I've never thought she was funny.
Yeah, I cant stand her...LL made me laugh a few times so Im willing to go with it for a few more weeks. Tourgasm gets one more week and thats it. I shouldnt even give it that, but Im hoping something may pick up on it.

atari2600
06-13-06, 10:20 AM
Looks like they pulled it after the HBO premiere Sunday night.

bummer.

rabbit77
06-13-06, 01:14 PM
The thing about Louis CK's humor that I really enjoy isn't really sitcom type material. His observations about ridiculous situations are what really made him stand out to me... like his joke about waving hi to some guy across the street while eating an apple, or the type of sound you make when you go to push an elevator button that's already lit - it doesn't translate into a sitcom about a guy schlepping along in life.

Norton's character has potential, and since I'm a regular listener of O&A I was interested in seeing him on screen. Good job as a creep, but he's truly funny when he ad libs. There's no place where he can show off his scathing wit.

BassDude
06-13-06, 01:46 PM
I've never seen Louis CK live, but laughed at a few lines that sounded like they'd be from a routine. 'need ta raise 50 bucks to be broke', the afforementioned 'p*ssy of financial ruin' and some others. I wonder if I'll dig this a bit more having never seen his stand up or having never heard Norton.

My DVR didn't record the show. Will have ta catch a repeat to get the full half hour. (only saw 15 mins or so.)

I liked the stark sets and the video-tape look to the show. Real contrast to Entourage right before it, and makes it look/feel like an old sitcom.

Red Dog
06-13-06, 03:25 PM
While an Entourage episode feels like it flys by in about 10 minutes, this show felt like it was 210 minutes. Horrible would be a generous term to describe it.

PacMan2006
06-14-06, 11:53 AM
The shots in his apartment looked so fake. It literally looked like it was on a soundstage. And the room was so bare, too. I didn't understand that.

dvd182
06-14-06, 12:34 PM
The shots in his apartment looked so fake. It literally looked like it was on a soundstage. And the room was so bare, too. I didn't understand that.

That's the idea; they were going for that look. They are really trying to play up the "live" aspect of the show.

PacMan2006
06-14-06, 12:44 PM
So...maybe so...I'm honestly not sure. But if came off as really cheap to me. There was one scene in the bedroom where I could see the fading shadow of a painting that used to be on the wall. It was just weird.

fab
06-14-06, 01:45 PM
Not sure what the problem with the set is... I think it conveys a shit-ass apartment pretty accurately.

--
fab

garmonbozia
06-14-06, 02:26 PM
Not sure what the problem with the set is... I think it conveys a shit-ass apartment pretty accurately.

i agree. i think it looks more realistic than the houses and apartments that we see most tv characters living in (that they could never afford on their below average income jobs). we've just been brainwashed into thinking all tv show characters with crappy jobs live in luxury apartments, so when we finally see a realistic looking one, it looks fake to us.

MasterCXtreme
06-14-06, 03:50 PM
i agree. i think it looks more realistic than the houses and apartments that we see most tv characters living in (that they could never afford on their below average income jobs). we've just been brainwashed into thinking all tv show characters with crappy jobs live in luxury apartments, so when we finally see a realistic looking one, it looks fake to us.
It's not so much the set up of the apartment and what's in it... but how it looks on the screen... especially in HD. It either has to do with the lighting or the camera their using. HBO obviously isn't using standard sitcom equipment. And with a show like this where none of us are entirely sure in the direction that they're going with it.... the look's a big part of it.

Jadzia
06-14-06, 04:00 PM
The bleak 1970's look of this series reminds me of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

PacMan2006
06-14-06, 06:26 PM
It's not about having it look like a luxury apartment. On the show, it looked like they had just moved in a week prior. There was NOTHING on the walls...it just looked weird and very unrealistic.

Zwerchfell
06-14-06, 07:06 PM
Overall I didn't like the show too much. I didn't like the stage look and I hated the laught track. Especially on HBO it feels totally out of place. I will watch one or two more episodes before I quit but I don't have much hope.

dvd182
06-14-06, 07:29 PM
It's not so much the set up of the apartment and what's in it... but how it looks on the screen... especially in HD. It either has to do with the lighting or the camera their using. HBO obviously isn't using standard sitcom equipment.
I think they are shooing it on video.

SPiRAL
06-14-06, 08:51 PM
While an Entourage episode feels like it flys by in about 10 minutes, this show felt like it was 210 minutes.

I totally agree.

cupon
06-14-06, 09:56 PM
Negatives
Laugh track or not, I'm done with sitcoms with anyone laughing. I prefer new comedies like Curb and Entourage without audiences.
Exactly. The studio audience ruins it for me.

cracksky
06-14-06, 11:32 PM
It was okay but I give new shows like this at least six before I bail. I'd never heard of this comedian at all before he was on Stern this week promoting the show so I watched it On Demand.

I agree that most of the jokes were pretty weak but it can only get better as they get more comfortable performing together. The lack of censorship is a big plus. CK said on Stern there is an upcoming show where the word, c*nt, is spoken like 40 times and HBO had no problems with it.

As far as the differences between sitcoms, shows with studio audiences are called multi-camera, the others are called single-camera (which can have canned laughter added or not).

This may be the first multi-camera sitcom for HBO but I have on tape a George Carlin show called Apartment 2C that aired on HBO which I believe was a pilot for a sitcom. Can't remember if there was an audience or not. Early-to-mid-eighties. Very raunchy and very funny.

rabbit77
06-15-06, 10:01 AM
I agree that most of the jokes were pretty weak but it can only get better as they get more comfortable performing together. The lack of censorship is a big plus. CK said on Stern there is an upcoming show where the word, c*nt, is spoken like 40 times and HBO had no problems with it.

Eh, but vulgarity for the sake of being vulgar is never funny. Which reminds me:

Lucille: "Michael, I need to talk to you."

Michael: "Hang on a second, Mom. Gob, you have to get rid of the 'Seaward'."

Lucille: "I will leave...when I'm good and ready."

Turd Ferguson
06-15-06, 10:07 AM
The only way this show could suck more would be if Jonathan Silverman were in it.

spainlinx0
06-15-06, 10:40 AM
You would think comedians would have timing, but apparently that doesn't translate to acting. I'm a Jimmy fan, but what was with that delivery? Terrible. The only character I thought did well was that fat guy with the moustache. I have to look him up on IMDB to see what I remember him from though.

CPA-ESQ.
06-15-06, 12:01 PM
The set was soooo bad. Come on - In College I had no cash but you hang stuff on the walls - slap on a coat of paint. Het some nice light fixtures. The walls were so big and bare.

The show seemed to drag and was at a very slow pace - The War at Home seems to move at a faster pace and seems a little edgier (even without the cursing)

xx2000xx
06-15-06, 05:00 PM
You would think comedians would have timing, but apparently that doesn't translate to acting. I'm a Jimmy fan, but what was with that delivery? Terrible. The only character I thought did well was that fat guy with the moustache. I have to look him up on IMDB to see what I remember him from though.

You have to remember that 'lil Jimmy gets nervous sometimes.

Me007gold
06-15-06, 08:43 PM
Positives

Jim Norton plays a creep very well.

Thats because 'lil Jimmy is a creep, a creep with aids none the less. Looking foward to more of lil Jimmy on this show and on Leno Tonite!

xx2000xx
06-15-06, 09:42 PM
Thats because 'lil Jimmy is a creep, a creep with aids none the less. Looking foward to more of lil Jimmy on this show and on Leno Tonite!

That is the 2nd time in the thread that somebody said he has aids. I know he'll probably eventually get it :-), but I'm about 2 weeks behind on the radio show. He doesn't have it for real does he?

Charlie Goose
06-18-06, 01:19 AM
Finally caught this. It's fitting that I said I "caught" it, because this show is very much like a disease. Submoronic and every bit of it was offensive. Not offensive because of the raunchiness, but because it was raunch without even the smallest bit of humor. Even the reptilian, but usually funny, Jim Norton was unwatchable. I hated every worthless second and insipid line of dialogue.

Tommy Ceez
06-18-06, 02:29 AM
That is the 2nd time in the thread that somebody said he has aids. I know he'll probably eventually get it :-), but I'm about 2 weeks behind on the radio show. He doesn't have it for real does he?

Him having AIDS is a running gag, and he used it during the Tonight Show

Patman
06-19-06, 08:55 AM
The second episode was entertaining as it about the pursuit of the Kim's second ever orgasm. But during the bed scenes, you could here the voice of Bobby Hill slip out of Kim's mouth, and that was weird.

There was a bit of irony to having the black neighbor competing with his wife's new best battery-operated toy.

Turd Ferguson
06-19-06, 01:07 PM
It was quite jarring to have Louie's tiny frank and beans flash across my big screen.

Geofferson
06-19-06, 01:20 PM
Wasn't impressed with this second episode. Debating whether or not to continue watching...

Jadzia
06-19-06, 01:32 PM
I agree, there were even less laughs in the second episode.

I kept expecting his wife to get a vibrator like the neighbor has. Or Louie to give it to her so she'll let him come. But they never really tied those storylines together.

Borst
06-19-06, 02:42 PM
What does Louis CK have tattooed on his arm that they blurred out?

Giles
06-19-06, 04:10 PM
Wasn't impressed with this second episode. Debating whether or not to continue watching...

I actually could only endure about five minutes of this...

SoSpacey
06-19-06, 04:15 PM
Norton's scene was the funniest thing about the episode.

They really need to stop focusing on trying to be raunchy or edgy and focus on the writing and just let it be edgy.

Tommy Ceez
06-20-06, 12:01 PM

They really need to stop focusing on trying to be raunchy or edgy and focus on the writing and just let it be edgy.
Actually, stop with the wife, daughter, and neighbor...his work friends and Rich are actually amusing

SonOfAStu
06-20-06, 12:13 PM

Really? Is there something I'm missing about this guy? I see scattered praise for "Jimmy Norton!" but I can't for the life of me figure it out. It seems like the kind of insincere flattery that friends and family members get just becuase they're friends and family.

Tommy Ceez
06-20-06, 02:04 PM
I think its because he's basically playing his real life self, so people who enjoy his comedy like the character

SoSpacey
06-20-06, 03:22 PM
I think its because he's basically playing his real life self, so people who enjoy his comedy like the character

I think he is playing an extreme version of his real life self. but yes. i do like his comedy.

SonOfAStu
06-20-06, 04:29 PM

What comedy?

rabbit77
06-20-06, 04:39 PM
What comedy?

His standup comedy and his persona on O&A, a morning radio show. He's very very funny.

Tommy Ceez
06-20-06, 05:39 PM
What comedy?
Stand-up and radio work

clckworang
06-20-06, 06:33 PM
What comedy?

His stand-up and radio work. (Judging by the two previous posts, I thought we were supposed to make this an hourly response)

xx2000xx
06-20-06, 08:18 PM
RAAMONE: make this show better.

Michael Ballack
06-20-06, 09:05 PM
His standup comedy and his persona on O&A, a morning radio show. He's very very funny.

Is he?! ;)

spainlinx0
06-20-06, 09:26 PM
Is he?! ;)

I saw him live at the infamous Red Bank show (O&A/R&F fans know what I'm talking about) and he was hilarious. On this show he's a little stiff, and not as funny as elsewhere.

Michael Ballack
06-21-06, 07:57 AM
I saw him live at the infamous Red Bank show (O&A/R&F fans know what I'm talking about) and he was hilarious. On this show he's a little stiff, and not as funny as elsewhere.

I was kidding. I think he's very funny as well and I listen to O and A daily. I was doing "Do ya?!" in my own way. Doesn't translate well over the internet though.

ItsGreekToMe
06-21-06, 08:35 AM
It's growing on me - I'm getting into the characters. Louis C.K. is a funny guy. Enjoyed his interview with Howard Stern last week.

SonOfAStu
06-21-06, 08:37 AM
He's very very funny.

When is he going to display that on Lucky Louie?

speedy
06-21-06, 12:36 PM
Guess I'm alone but LMAO!!! :)

rabbit77
06-21-06, 04:32 PM
I was kidding.
Were ya?!

I think he's very funny as well and I listen to O and A daily.
Do ya?!

Doesn't translate well over the internet though.
Does it?!

Eh, you're right.

Michael Ballack
06-21-06, 08:34 PM
Were ya?!

Do ya?!

Does it?!

Eh, you're right.
:clap: Yay!!! Someone gets me.

penguin42
06-21-06, 10:10 PM
Prime time porn.

what sucks about watching HBO HD is that they only have the east coast feed. So 7pm is too damn early to have scenes where he is banging his wife. I had to turn it off immediately because my kids were around, the last thing I need is for them to think I am sitting around watching porn. lol

Gdrlv
06-22-06, 10:48 PM
His stand-up and radio work. (Judging by the two previous posts, I thought we were supposed to make this an hourly response)

Then you were six minutes early :)

ItsGreekToMe
06-22-06, 11:08 PM
Prime time porn.

what sucks about watching HBO HD is that they only have the east coast feed. So 7pm is too damn early to have scenes where he is banging his wife. I had to turn it off immediately because my kids were around, the last thing I need is for them to think I am sitting around watching porn. lol

That's what the HD DVR is for. Worth every penny! ;)

Patman
06-26-06, 01:38 AM
6/25/06

Kind of an unrealistic premise, Kim fighting her teenage mugger, spirals out of control.

Probably a little too much male nudity for nudity's sake, as it wasn't all that funny.

MasterCXtreme
06-26-06, 01:46 AM
Just caught up with last week's and this week's... I think it's growing into something pretty good. It's getting some laughs out of me, so I'll keep watching.

"Quit slamming your snatch against me!"

illini420
06-26-06, 07:11 AM
Just caught up with last week's and this week's... I think it's growing into something pretty good. It's getting some laughs out of me, so I'll keep watching.

I sort of disagree. I actually thought the first 2 episodes were decent and each had some good laughs; this episode was just barely ok. I have to agree more with Patman in that this one was just totally unrealistic. And, yes, the nudity in this episode was just silly.

JasonF
06-26-06, 09:57 AM
I know I always look for realism in my sitcoms.

The first act -- basically everything from Kim coming home to Louie and Kim leaving the mugger's house -- was hilarious. The rest was at the same mediocre level as last week's lackluster episode.

SoSpacey
06-26-06, 10:25 AM
i think it has been getting better each week. not by leaps and bounds, but better.

but yeah, enough with the little peckers in my face every week.

Nausicaa
06-26-06, 02:00 PM
I think the show is okay. Definitely not as funny as something like Entourage, but it has its moments.

I also don't quite see the problem with the sets. As we saw at the end of the first episode, these people are pretty much living paycheck to paycheck - and they have a kid to take care of. These two also don't seem to be the interior decorating type.

BassDude
06-26-06, 07:00 PM
Still fun. But Norton's gotta go. No value other than a creepy factor. Louis CK and others are fine.

GF likes it, so.. we're sticking with it a while longer.

SoSpacey
07-10-06, 05:01 PM
Show is getting funnier every week. Last night I thought was one of the better episodes. The first 15 minutes were great, then slowed down a few, and finished pretty good.

I dont know if it is because the writing is getting better, or if they dont have to establish charachters anymore, but definately better.

Starting to feel more like I thought it was going to...a sitcom with dirty words, instead of what it started out as, a sitcom trying to say and do everything as dirty as they can.

McHawkson
07-10-06, 05:06 PM
I think that show is to target women... Too many male nudity in there. It need more female nudity in there!!!

Michael Ballack
07-10-06, 05:57 PM
I think that show is to target women... Too many male nudity in there. It need more female nudity in there!!!

I know. Everytime I see nudity I would get my hopes up thinking we would see the wife nude, instead we see man ass and penis. So now when I see nudity before the show, I don't get so excited.

This weeks show was the funniest one so far. I HATED the July 4th episode. I just didn't laugh. Hopefully the show will continue to get better, but I don't know if I'd still be watching if I wasn't such a fan of Jim Norton.

movieking
07-11-06, 10:04 PM
I've watched a couple of episodes of both Tourgasm and Lucky Louie, and Lucky Louie is quite possibly the worst thing that I have ever seen on TV.

Tourgasm is not much better. I am a big fan of Dane Cook, so I have been hanging in to finish the series, and every now and then, I hear something funny.

Nosebleed
07-11-06, 10:23 PM
I like this show a lot, but the Jim Norton character needs to go.

SPiRAL
07-11-06, 10:32 PM
The show is starting to grow on me. It's not great, but I'll definetely stick with it this season.

spainlinx0
07-11-06, 10:55 PM
I'm an O&A fan, but Norton is horrible. He is not funny, and has the EXACT SAME DELIVERY every single time. I thought it was humorous when he would mock his own acting ability on the radio, but now I see that he had good reason to do so.

rfduncan
07-12-06, 09:06 AM
I know. Everytime I see nudity I would get my hopes up thinking we would see the wife nude, instead we see man ass and penis. So now when I see nudity before the show, I don't get so excited.
Aw... Please tell me there is absolutely NOTHING else to do but hope that an episode of this show will have the wife naked. I'd wager that Laura Kightlinger gets naked before Pamela Adlon - and I can't WAIT to hear the reaction when Mike Hagerty drops trow. :lol:

In terms of reality - where does the daughter disappear to? They only seem to have a kid when they need her for a scene. This show is very, very rough. It is getting better with each episode, but still not something I can't wait to see once it is recorded. (I certainly laughed more per episode during The Comeback which HBO promptly cancelled after a season.)

Next episode looks like a jump (possible hiatus in filming schedule) as Louie looks several pounds lighter than he did in "Control". Maybe he's going to get naked again. :clap:

DRG
07-12-06, 04:54 PM
The show is growing on me, but still has problems. I think Jim Norton is severely misused here. He's too hostile. I know it's similar to his stand-up stuff, but in stand-up it just comes off as funny rating, where in this show he just seems vile.

Roto
07-24-06, 02:01 AM
I'm still watching because I really like Louis CK. This week I think they finally got a really good episode. Up until now I thought the daughter was one of the weakest parts of the show, but this one was all about here and I was laughing throughout. Hopefully it's a start.

spainlinx0
07-24-06, 02:58 AM
I have to reiterate how terrible Norton is on this show. Any acting classes he took should give him a refund.

movieking
07-24-06, 07:13 AM
I caught this episode, after swearing off this series after the first viewing. It was a lot better than what I saw in the past (and pieces of other episodes). However, I just wanted Louie to smack the crap out of that kid.

Michael Ballack
07-24-06, 08:43 AM
For a show that is supposed to be politcally incorrect, I don't think I've ever seen a more politically correct approach to the whole "discipline episode", maybe with the only exception of Louis calling the kid an asshole. Hell even those nanny reality shows have harsher discipline than what was depicted in the latest episode. The show is getting better though, but once again I might not still be watching if it wasn't for Jim Norton and Mike Haggerty.

das Monkey
07-24-06, 09:18 AM
Well, he did lock his daughter in a closet. That's not the most PC approach to parenting.

das

david12
07-24-06, 12:21 PM
that kid deserved to be locked in the closet. I wanted to step in the tv and slap the little bitch.

Pistol Pete
07-24-06, 03:27 PM
It was also the same closet where he spent the first episode continuously spanking his monkey. I was kinda creeped out by him locking his little girl in there.

HistoryProf
07-24-06, 06:17 PM
I think this show is fucking hilarious....and it's been getting better and better as they settle in to their characters - the seen last week with the kid doing her "kitty dance" had the wife and I rolling.... :shrug:

SPiRAL
07-24-06, 07:39 PM
I think this show is fucking hilarious....and it's been getting better and better as they settle in to their characters - the seen last week with the kid doing her "kitty dance" had the wife and I rolling.... :shrug:

Yeah, I have a cousin about Lucy's age, and she puts on little shows. If we don't come and watch she get all pissed off. No pussy poppin songs though...thank God.

twikoff
07-25-06, 10:14 AM
i like the show, and it makes me laugh hard.. but come on, i dont need to see dude's penis :down:

darkside
07-31-06, 10:32 AM
I'm really trying to like the show and they will deliver some solid jokes every episode, but so far I'm still kind of iffy on it. I know all shows are like this in the first season so I'm going to try and stick with it, but honestly enough with the male frontal nudity.

Deftones
07-31-06, 11:35 AM
I had all the episodes on my Tivo and I watched them this weekend. The show started out lackluster but has gained some steam. I've enjoyed it so far. Not consistently funny throughout the show, but usually has several laugh out loud moments.

Roto
07-31-06, 03:46 PM
I'm on board now. The last two shows were excellent dealing with Lucy and Shannon. A little over the top, but hilarious.
i like the show, and it makes me laugh hard.. but come on, i dont need to see dude's penis :down:
I don't need to see that burnout Jerry at all.

movieking
07-31-06, 08:58 PM
I didn't just hate the first episode, I loathed it. It was probably the worst thing I've seen on TV in years (and I think that I posted that here somewhere). The last couple of shows were great though. I am going to try to catch up with the shows that I missed.

I can't stand the brother in law. He's a scene killer, and I can't understand how anyone connected with the show can think otherwise.

Tommy Ceez
07-31-06, 11:05 PM
The last 2 episodes were really good...the 16year old offering him a blowjob was great

I think the show's strongest when OTHER PEOPLE besides Louie and the wife are fucked up