Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SW EP III: Revenge of Sith on Hi-def HBO

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 04:01 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
SW EP III: Revenge of Sith on Hi-def HBO

Anybody catch this tonight premiering on Hi-Def HBO channels?

Looked GREAT! So if the hi-def version is mastered and ready to go does that mean its coming out on BluRay or HD-DVD soon?

Which one would it be?

I have to say, watching this movie alone with some pizza, a comfortable recliner and my own kickass home theater system really made me appreciate it a whole lot more. I highly recommend it for anyone who has the option available. I might even rewatch the first 2 again.
Old 06-04-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming they cropped it to 16:9 like they did with Episode II? Not that it matters anyway. ROTS was a major disappointment.
Old 06-04-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, it was 2.35:1. I was surprised.

I almost blew out some windows listening to it. The cats were scared half to death when any ships would fly by.
Old 06-04-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
I'm assuming they cropped it to 16:9 like they did with Episode II? Not that it matters anyway. ROTS was a major disappointment.
You assume wrong. It was in native resolution.

Too bad you were disappointed by it. I think it's the third best of the series behind ANH and ESB.
Old 06-04-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Too bad you were disappointed by it. I think it's the third best of the series behind ANH and ESB.
Hate to disagree, but having seen it for the very first time last night... I gotta say it's just as bad as the other prequels. Yecch.
Old 06-04-06, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Hate to disagree, but having seen it for the very first time last night... I gotta say it's just as bad as the other prequels. Yecch.
i agree, everyone was saying how good the last one was but it ws pretty bad. going pretty much pure CGI wrecked the star wars movie, theres no texture or anything that makes the world feel real. Everything was too shiny and clean.
Old 06-04-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I watched it , an the HD looked great.
Old 06-04-06, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by davenyl
Surprisingly, HBO showed it in 2.35:1 on their high def channel. Looked and sounded amazing.
Figures. I actually really liked Episode II and that's the one that gets cropped to 16:9. Oh well, I may catch a little bit of ROTS on HD this week(they usually reair movies in their premiere week on HBO ad nauseum) just to compare it to the DVD. Despite being cropped to 16:9, Batman Begins looked niiiiiiiiice when I saw it a couple weeks ago.
Old 06-04-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
i agree, everyone was saying how good the last one was but it ws pretty bad. going pretty much pure CGI wrecked the star wars movie, theres no texture or anything that makes the world feel real. Everything was too shiny and clean.

Funny you should say that. Because when Jimmy Smits started tooling around in a "Blockade Runner", the first thing that came to my mind was:

"Damn, that ship looked a lot more impressive when it was a little plastic model."

Eh, at least I can say I finally got around to watching it.
Old 06-04-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Watched it too. Just happened to be flipping channels and noticed it was on. Looked pretty damn sweet.
Old 06-04-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I knew it was on, but I'm going to record it just to check it out. Same with Batman Begins.
Old 06-04-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was OAR last night and it look awesome
Old 06-04-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
When's the replay in HD?
Old 06-04-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree it looked great (especially on my 50" panny plasma). The comcast feed got weird a few times and the image froze for a frame or two. This happened a few times. I was taping it using my dvr, so perhaps that was why. Anyone else have any issues?
Old 06-04-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I was impressed...Toy Story was on ABC last night and didnt look near as good. I sat and watched the whole thing. If this is what it will look like on HD or BR then maybe I will be buying these again someday .
Old 06-04-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HBO normally replays the Saturday premiers on Tuesdays.

I have to concur that it looked amazing.
Old 06-04-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
When's the replay in HD?
I think for like 8am on Tuesday morning. It's on there for multiple dates when I was looking for it again to record.
Old 06-04-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched it and thought it looked pretty damn incredible...even some of the CG work looked better since it was sharper...a few Yoda scenes I was blown away by in comparison to the DVD version. I've seen the movie half a dozen times but watched it because the HD feed was great.

MATT
Old 06-04-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
I'm no Star Wars geek, but really? You think it's as bad as TPM? I find that very hard to believe.

Star Wars has a tough legacy to live up to. However, for what it's worth, a guy at my office saw all the prequels before ever seeing the OT, and he feels very strongly that 4-6 are much worse than 1-3.
Old 06-04-06, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm no Star Wars geek, but really? You think it's as bad as TPM? I find that very hard to believe.
No SW flick is as bad as TPM. Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd, Boss Nass, farting and "icky icky goo" jokes, and a non-existent plot give it a decided edge as the worst entry in the series.

But ROTS is arguably the most disappointing one for me. It was easily the most pivotal film storywise. It had to connect the first 2 prequels to the Holy Trilogy, and it had to finally answer the question everyone had been asking since Empire revealed that Vader and Anakin were one and the same. Namely how did Anakin become Darth Vader(both figuratively and literally)?

And with so much riding on this film, Lucas couldn't have dropped the ball anymore if he tried. Anakin's turn was almost an afterthought, as if Lucas knew he had to get to the Jedi Purge and "the duel", so he just flipped a switch. Instead of developing the characters or actually focusing on relevant parts of the plot, he devoted a lot of screentime to a superfluous and poorly realized CG character like General Grievous(I don't care if he was cool in the cartoons, he sucked in the movie).

And he completely disregarded a lot of things Episode II(a movie I actually enjoyed) had set up. Like the deletion of Kamino from the archives, the murder of Sifo-Dyas, the ordering of the clone army, and what motivated Count Dooku to leave the Jedi Order and join with Sidious/Palpatine.

Sure, I could harp on the crappy acting, cartoonish CGI, boring and redundant lightsaber duels, the infamous "NOOOOOO!" scene, and the dullest space battle I've seen since....well, TPM, but where I had always defended Lucas was in his abilities as a storyteller(even if he did a lousy job directing and scripting those stories). But ROTS was an unmitigated disaster in that area. Much like Anakin Skywalker, George Lucas' fall was complete.
Old 06-04-06, 07:59 PM
Banned

oh my god.

does this have to turn into another "debating/bashing the prequels" thread?

give it up.
Old 06-04-06, 08:54 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
yea, all I wanted to know was if and when it will be released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

who CARES about what some fanboy thinks about how the flicks fit into their idea of what Star Wars should have been just because you saw Return of the Jedi when you were 12 years old and it changed your life forever! God, you don't see me ranting about Pete's Dragon or For The Love Of Benji.

If you don't like it, write a script and see how easy it is to get your story out there.
Old 06-05-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
For everyone who was just as happy as I was to see this in OAR, please send a message to HBO here . Hopefully they will start to get the message that we want to see our HD in OAR, not cropped.
Old 06-05-06, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesix
yea, all I wanted to know was if and when it will be released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.
Who knows? They've been showing movies in HD for several years, but that doesn't mean they're ready to go on an HD disc format or that they will be released soon. The Star Wars films are particularly iffy because Fox can't just release them whenever they want to; they have to get permission from Lucas, who isn't likely to allow it until the market is large enough.

Also, it has been mentioned on the forum that the SW films won't be on an HD format until one of them is dead. It may be a while.
Old 06-05-06, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I DVR'd it...thats set up for Fri/Sat nite

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.