Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Spinoffs That Lasted Longer Than Original?

THX7966
06-04-06, 12:50 AM
While watching some of this weekend's "Benson" marathon on TV Land, I realized the show ran almost twice as long as "Soap." Have any other spin-offs been more successful than the original?

tommyp007
06-04-06, 12:57 AM
Frasier lasted about the same as Cheers, I think.

Drexl
06-04-06, 12:59 AM
"The Facts of Life" lasted longer than "Diff'rent Strokes."

Gizmo
06-04-06, 01:10 AM
The Simpsons lasted longer then Tracey Ullman (May outlive her!)

Perkinsun Dzees
06-04-06, 01:28 AM
THE JEFFERSONS lasted longer than ALL IN THE FAMILY

Jadzia
06-04-06, 02:10 AM
St:tng

rkndkn
06-04-06, 03:37 AM
"Knots Landing" lasted a season longer than "Dallas".

TheKing
06-04-06, 03:51 AM
Family Matters outlasted Perfect Strangers.
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition has lasted longer and been far more popular than the original Extreme Makeover.
Saved By The Bell: The New Class lasted longer than than Saved By The Bell, which lasted longer than Good Morning, Miss Bliss.
What's Happening Now beat What's Happening by one episode (66 to 65)
Happy Days lasted longer than Love, American Style, but that might not really count since LAS wasn't really a series.

Michael Corvin
06-04-06, 08:55 AM
Frasier lasted about the same as Cheers, I think.

Both had 11 seasons. Kelsey Grammer played the same character for almost 20 years.

Red Dog
06-04-06, 11:11 AM
St:tng

I never really thought of that as a spinoff. :shrug:

Holly Martins
06-04-06, 01:06 PM
Barnaby Jones ('73-'80) lasted longer than The Mod Squad ('68-'73).

Uh btw what's a spinoff?

nightwing82
06-04-06, 01:25 PM
Diagnosis Murder lasted longer than Jake and the Fatman

littlefuzzy
06-04-06, 01:30 PM
The 3 Naked Gun movies are longer in length than the total for the 6 Police Squad episodes...

They probably made more, too... :D

GuessWho
06-04-06, 02:58 PM
Uh btw what's a spinoff?Taking characters from one show and giving them their own show

Holly Martins
06-04-06, 03:17 PM
Taking characters from one show and giving them their own show

Uh, what's sarcasm and btw throw in the definition of irony too.

j/k.

For the record I was making a joke in the post you responded to. I was paying homage to the Simpsons episode where Ralph Wiggum wins first prize for best diarama by simply displaying a set of Star Wars action figures in their original unopened packaging and then he famously asks, "What's a diarama?"

Anyways, Barnaby Jones wasn't a spinoff of The Mod Squad. In fact you'd have to go a long way to find two more different "cop" shows where one started the year that another was cancelled.

Slayer2005
06-04-06, 04:11 PM
Xena: Warrior Princess.

clckworang
06-04-06, 10:12 PM
Uh, what's sarcasm and btw throw in the definition of irony too.

j/k.

For the record I was making a joke in the post you responded to. I was paying homage to the Simpsons episode where Ralph Wiggum wins first prize for best diarama by simply displaying a set of Star Wars action figures in their original unopened packaging and then he famously asks, "What's a diarama?"

Anyways, Barnaby Jones wasn't a spinoff of The Mod Squad. In fact you'd have to go a long way to find two more different "cop" shows where one started the year that another was cancelled.

But I think Barnaby Jones was a spinoff from Cannon.

From imdb: William Conrad appeared on many early episodes of Barnaby Jones as Frank Cannon. Barnaby and Betty had originally appeared on "Cannon" (1971) after Barnaby's son Hal, who was a good friend of Frank's, was murdered. Cannon helped Barnaby eventually track down his son's killers.

And by the way, if you are going to be making a joke that requires using someone's voice (kinda hard on a message board) or at least a picture that wasn't included, don't be surprised if people don't understand you're joking, especially if you add words that weren't in the original quote that you were referring to.

Patman
06-04-06, 10:38 PM
How many more season does NCIS have to stay on the air to outlast JAG?

GuessWho
06-04-06, 10:43 PM
I was paying homage to the Simpsons episode where...Having not watched an episode since the first season, that one went right over my head :lol:

clckworang
06-04-06, 10:58 PM
Having not watched an episode since the first season, that one went right over my head :lol:

I've watched every episode and am familiar with the scene in question and it still went over my head.

clemente
06-04-06, 11:16 PM

7. JAG was around for a while (10 seasons)

lordwow
06-05-06, 01:36 AM
Happy Days was a spinoff of Love, American Style, and lasted a few years longer.

Knots Landing lasted a season more than Dallas,
So did The Facts of Life (from Different Strokes)

And also Kung Fu: The Legend Continues ran longer than Kung Fu.

Red Dog
06-05-06, 03:16 PM

Technically, I don't consider that a spin-off either.

critterdvd
06-05-06, 03:38 PM
Technically does a spin-off have to last longer to be considered more succesful? Cause look at 'Angel,' many people consider that to be more superior a show than "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

And in 23 posts I am shocked that nobody has yet to mention ANY of the Star Trek spin-offs...

Seantn
06-05-06, 03:41 PM
I was paying homage to the Simpsons episode where...

Yeah, that's the problem. Sarcasm can be hard to detect on an internet message board when a voice imitation would be needed for us to know that you're doing a Ralph Wiggum impersonation. It actually just looks like you're asking a question, since some people might actually not know what a spinoff is.

tommyp007
06-05-06, 03:49 PM
Technically does a spin-off have to last longer to be considered more succesful? Cause look at 'Angel,' many people consider that to be more superior a show than "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

And in 23 posts I am shocked that nobody has yet to mention ANY of the Star Trek spin-offs...

see post #6

devilshalo
06-05-06, 04:39 PM
The Jeffersons outlasted All in the Family.
The Facts of Life outlasted Diff'rent Strokes.

Grimm1
06-05-06, 05:45 PM
I think Maude and Good Times tied with 6 seasons each.

THX7966
06-05-06, 05:55 PM

Star Trek is more of a franchise, like Law and Order, and not so much a spin-off.