Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

List of HD-DVD Titles From Japan (So Far)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html...esult=14839604

Oliver Twist [HD DVD]
Lee Ritenour Overtime [HD DVD]
Equilibrium [HD DVD]
Old Boy [HD DVD]
The Last Samurai [HD DVD]
True Blue [HD DVD]
Suna no Utsuwa [HD DVD]
The Brothers Grimm [HD DVD]
Pacchigi! [HD DVD]
Chronicles of Riddick [HD DVD]
Tokyo Solo 2002 - The 150th concert in Japan [HD DVD]
Japanese Movie Shinobi [HD DVD]
Finding Neverland [HD DVD]
Old 06-02-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I received Finding Neverland today. Interesting to note that it's packaged in a standard-size DVD keepcase, not the new cases that the American releases use.
Old 06-05-06, 08:40 AM
Cool New Member

Josh (or anyone else),

Have you found any retailers selling the Biohazard disc individually (i.e. without buying a Japanese A1)? I've been checking eBay regularly looking for a used copy, but it appears no one wants to give his or hers up.
Old 06-05-06, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I received Finding Neverland today. Interesting to note that it's packaged in a standard-size DVD keepcase, not the new cases that the American releases use.
Well, I hope that they all use the standard size case. I like the look of the new cases. However, they are too small if you ask me.

Last edited by tacos; 06-05-06 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-05-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nathan_R
Have you found any retailers selling the Biohazard disc individually (i.e. without buying a Japanese A1)? I've been checking eBay regularly looking for a used copy, but it appears no one wants to give his or hers up.
Haven't seen it sold individually yet. I'm also interested.
Old 06-05-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tacos
Well, I hope that they all use the standard size case. I like the look of the new cases. However, they are too small if you ask me.
In my opinion, DVD cases can't get small enough. I'd be happy if they put everything in thinpaks.

I'm really to the point where I'm reconsidering movie purchases because I don't want my collection taking up more space -- it's huge enough as it is. That makes me sad (and it should simply terrify movie companies. )

I love the new size of the cases. Slightly thinner and shorter, but plenty of room for text on the spine. Although, Universal really needs to make their spines more readable. Their current batch is not exactly designed well.
Old 06-05-06, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
In my opinion, DVD cases can't get small enough. I'd be happy if they put everything in thinpaks.

I'm really to the point where I'm reconsidering movie purchases because I don't want my collection taking up more space -- it's huge enough as it is. That makes me sad (and it should simply terrify movie companies. )

I love the new size of the cases. Slightly thinner and shorter, but plenty of room for text on the spine.
on ALL of that.

I'm kinda pissed that Finding Neverland is going to come in a typical DVD-style amaray. The more of those larger amarays that I can get rid of, the better.
Old 06-05-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I could not disagree more with you!!

I thought that the current format/size used for regular DVDs was just fine as it is. There is plenty of room for a stylishly designed coverwork! Furthermore, judging by the enormous popularity of SE and Collector's Editions from all over the world (look at the thread currently at the top of this page) and the unique designs they offer, none of which are in small sizes, I think that companies should reconsider their policy and stick to the current case-format. A dvd-case should (in my opinion) resemble a book...

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 06-05-06, 11:33 PM
Suspended

When and if the hd discs start getting nice digipaks they will look odd in a smaller case. IMO. I don't hate the new cases I just like the older ones better.
Old 06-05-06, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I could not disagree more with you!!

I thought that the current format/size used for regular DVDs was just fine as it is. There is plenty of room for a stylishly designed coverwork! Furthermore, judging by the enormous popularity of SE and Collector's Editions from all over the world (look at the thread currently at the top of this page) and the unique designs they offer, none of which are in small sizes, I think that companies should reconsider their policy and stick to the current case-format. A dvd-case should (in my opinion) resemble a book...
Ciao,
Pro-B
You OBVIOUSLY don't live in an apt.
Old 06-06-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that companies should reconsider their policy and stick to the current case-format.
I think simple retail realities will prevent that. If the HD-DVDs are packaged in standard keepcases, can you imagine the number of accidental purchases? The return lines at Wal-Mart and Best Buy will be filled with grandmothers who accidentally bought Ice Age in the wrong format, or whatever.

They need some way to make it immediately clear at a glance that it isn't a standard DVD. I think the packaging works perfectly in that regard. (And making it slightly thinner and shorter is just a bonus.)
Old 06-06-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The return lines at Wal-Mart and Best Buy will be filled with grandmothers who accidentally bought Ice Age in the wrong format, or whatever.

I knew Japanese grandmothers were much more advanced than US grandmoms...but not this much: who knew they could actually read, wow!

Pro-B
Old 06-06-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Japanese grandmothers were much more advanced than US grandmoms...but not this much: who knew they could actually read, wow!
I visited my grandmother a few weeks ago. She asked me, "So, what is a D-V-D?" That's a direct quote. I wouldn't trust her to know the difference between formats without as many visual distinctions as possible.

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-06-06 at 02:30 PM.