Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

When Does Deep Discount DVD run promo?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 06-01-06, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know when deepdiscount runs their promotion codes for ten or twenty percent off. Or if they have any current ones, what are they?
Old 06-02-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a taboo topic until it is officially announced. But, before you get flamed and shut down, my June order last year was on 6/17. I'd give it 2 more weeks before you start worrying about it not happening.
Old 06-02-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last year it was around June 17, and Nov. 11 through 19. Just keep checking back, I gaurantee that there'll be a thread about it if they do it again. Keep checking back at least a couple times early each week.
Old 06-02-06, 12:23 AM

Shhhhh! Nobody is supposed to know. It is not even known if they will have a 20% off sale, maybe, maybe not. It is a secret until it is officially announced.

Do not mention this subject again!

By the way, Welcome to DVDtalk!!!
Old 06-02-06, 12:55 AM

Why is this a taboo topic?
Old 06-02-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because if it wasn't, everybody would be asking about it every five minutes.
Old 06-02-06, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Which would be pointless, because there is always, ALWAYS a seven-dozen-page about the sale within 24 hours of it being announced. You'd have to be blind or unable to read a combination of the words "Deep Discount DVD," "20," "Percent," and "Off" to miss the sale.
Old 06-02-06, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Somebody needs to get pilot out of bed to lock this thread.
Old 06-02-06, 04:56 AM
Banned

"The first rule about the 20% Off Sale is that you don't talk about...."...Oh, forget it.
Old 06-02-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, maybe I'll wait until June to get Dazed and Confused:CC then. No hurry right now.
Old 06-02-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Hmmm, maybe I'll wait until June to get Dazed and Confused:CC then. No hurry right now.
And THAT is entirely the point. Unrealized anticipation of the sale costs DDD money. You'd have bought it from them anyway at their full price - now you're waiting. So they lose that extra revenue that they'd have had without the sale.
Old 06-02-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
And THAT is entirely the point. Unrealized anticipation of the sale costs DDD money. You'd have bought it from them anyway at their full price - now you're waiting. So they lose that extra revenue that they'd have had without the sale.

But since they keep running the sale year after year, apparently they believe that this lost revenue is made up for in profits from sales of items people normally wouldn't buy, but are purchasing because it's finally in their price range.

And, of course, the profits from the many people that go overboard on their spending because "it's a sale."
Old 06-02-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The flipside: Many of us don't buy from other stores in anticipation of the DDD sale.
Old 06-02-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is something I'm not buying right now in anticipation of the DDD 20% off sale.
Old 06-02-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by illennium
The flipside: Many of us don't buy from other stores in anticipation of the DDD sale.
Odd theory. Considering they guarantee the lowest price why would you?
Old 06-02-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Odd theory. Considering they guarantee the lowest price why would you?
I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying that people only buy from DDD? Because that's clearly not the case.
Old 06-02-06, 09:43 AM
Cool New Member

I must say, my wish list has about $2k in it right now waiting for the sale. It will at least be after the 6th, as they have another sale running until then. The waiting.... oh, the waiting....
Old 06-02-06, 10:48 AM

I hope they don't have the sale until the last week of June cause there's some new releases I want
Old 06-02-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper
"The first rule about the 20% Off Sale is that you don't talk about...."...Oh, forget it.

heh, yeah, what he said!
Old 06-02-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by illennium
My rule of thumb before I buy a DVD from another website is I multiply the price listed on DDD by .80 and if the adjusted DDD price is lower, I don't buy it from that other website. I just wait for the next DDD sale.
Old 06-02-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, there's also the fact that some people would not buy ANYTHING if not for the DDD sale. The sale itself draws IN revenue rather than depleting it.
Old 06-02-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
My rule of thumb before I buy a DVD from another website is I multiply the price listed on DDD by .80 and if the adjusted DDD price is lower, I don't buy it from that other website. I just wait for the next DDD sale.
awww man, rennervision is giving away all the good secrets! shhh!
Old 06-02-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rennervision
Absolutely.

First off, a good amount of my purchases have been from DDD this year. Namely their B2G1s.

The ones that weren't?
- Best Buy's B1G1 TV on DVD (in January and this month)
- Columbia House
- A new release I wanted on the release date.
- And other smaller sales that were better than the 20% off at DDD price, namely loss leaders or Overstock.com Deal of the Days.

I pretty much won't buy anything until I check DDD and see if it's better than 20% off. That being said, I'm a smart customer there for the sale. I keep my entire wishlist on DVDAf, and I buy only the DVDs that are cheaper at DDD normally, or significantly cheaper due to the 20% off sale from them. Just because it's 20% off everything doesn't mean that DDD's price is always the best. A lot of times Amazon or other stores can beat them at a single disk or something, but free shipping is also key as well.

DDD's sale definately brings loyality to their store. I tell everyone about the site, namely because even other times of the year they have good sales or $.50-$2 cheaper DVDs than anywhere with free shipping. As we've all seen, The sale causes a buzz around here unlike anything else. People love DDD (well... most... check the Store Forum for horror stories), myself included, and the fact that now my entire family (who usually don't collect DVDs) is buying during their sale because of my word of mouth, is a testament to how good the word of mouth is for the company. You can't measure that in business, but I'd say it's damn good for them.
Old 06-02-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anybody know/remember if the codes were good at Deep Discount CD as well?
Old 06-02-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Does anybody know/remember if the codes were good at Deep Discount CD as well?
No, they are not. I wish they were. I must say that most of my purchases from DDD are bunched in two weeks of the year, but I do tend to buy from them occasionaly on the smaller sales or if I need a gift or to get something for somebody unless it is way cheaper else where. The bulk of my catolog purchases throughout the year come from the sister site DigitalEyes/DVDplanet. I build up tons of loyalty points by buying and selling used disc with them.The sale really only causes me to spend more with them not less - so I bet that that is the case with the majority and that is why the sale keeps coming back.