Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

2-disc DVDs with Theater & Director's cut that include both versions as ANAMORPHIC

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2-disc DVDs with Theater & Director's cut that include both versions as ANAMORPHIC

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone think of 2-disc (or 3-disc or 4-disc) DVDs with Theater & Director's cut that include both versions as ANAMORPHIC? This topic is related to the original Star Wars DVDs being released as a non-anamorphic extra. Can anyone think of other DVDs that did the same thing or think of any other DVDs that have both versions ANAMORPHIC within the set. Here are the ones that I can think of:

BOTH ANAMORPHIC Director's Cut and Theatrical Cut included:
Legend (2-disc)
the upcoming Blade Runner releases
Dawn of the Dead (3-disc)
Army of Darkness Limited Edition (2-disc)
The Beast (3-disc)

ANAMORPHIC Director's Cut and NON-ANAMORPHIC Theatrical Cut included:
Clerks 3-disc
upcoming Star Wars DVDs
Are there any more?

Last edited by toddly6666; 05-31-06 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Dune 1-disc recent release.
Old 05-31-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure you can lump the Clerks 3-disc edition with the upcoming Star Wars discs...while the original Sundance cut may have been non-anamorphic, the generally released theatrical cut is.
Old 05-31-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost Famous Bootleg Edition

Sin City (but the stories are split up)
Old 05-31-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Almost Famous
Dawn Of The Dead UE
Alien Quadrilogy
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (Miramax)
Frighteners (German 4 disc)
New York New York (UK 2 disc)
Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid
Sin City SE
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (Korean)
Three Extremes (Lions Gate)
Tokyo Olympiad (Japanese 2 disc)

quite a few....
Old 05-31-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So are these upcoming Star Wars DVDs which include the theatrical non-anamorphic DVD version is in a league of its own from a DVD marketing standpoint?
Old 05-31-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
butterfly effect one disc, 2 sides
Old 05-31-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regarding the Clerks DVD, the "first edit" is not non-anamorphic. It's a full frame transfer taken from a first-dub SVHS as the original 16mm elements simply don't exist anymore.

The Mallrats: 10th Anniversary Edition has both edits of the film in anamorphic widescreen in addition to 5.1 Dolby Digital included as well. It's not a two-disc set, however, it is a DVD-18.

The original two-disc limited edition set of Halloween Anchor Bay put out in 1999 includes both the theatrical cut and the television cut in anamorphic widescreen.
Old 05-31-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
DVDs with both Theatrical and "Unrated, Director's, Extended" Cuts in anamorphic WS:

T2 - both "Ultimate" and "Extreme" Editions.
Robocop
Shaolin Soccer
Old 06-01-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
What about the Manhunter LE? Can't remember whether the second disc was anamorphic or not.

And "The Wicker Man" LE had both the theatrical cut and the extended cut presented in anamorphic widescreen. (Though the image quality on the extended cut was sub-par due to the poor quality of the source elements for the inserted scenes.)
Old 06-01-06, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
What about the Manhunter LE? Can't remember whether the second disc was anamorphic or not.
Manhunter was never released in a package that included both the theatrical cut and Director's Cut in one set. It was one or the other. And the "theatrical cut" was not the theatrical cut at all, but some strange variant workprint that was missing a bunch of footage and included extra scenes that actually belonged in the DC.

The real theatrical cut is only available on DVD in Region 2.
Old 06-01-06, 07:00 AM

Or region 4
Old 06-01-06, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Manhunter was never released in a package that included both the theatrical cut and Director's Cut in one set. It was one or the other. And the "theatrical cut" was not the theatrical cut at all, but some strange variant workprint that was missing a bunch of footage and included extra scenes that actually belonged in the DC.

Only certain Region 2 countries: Japan and maybe France. Anchor Bay released a 2-disc set with the "theatrical" cut and the director's cut, right? I have a Region 2 UK set of this (not Anchor Bay but the same material). You are right, that "theatrical" cut isn't at all. But I think it's anamorphic, and the director's cut non-anamorphic, but I could be wrong; the quality is so bad I'm assuming it isn't. I never watch those in any case.
Old 06-01-06, 09:23 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Blade Trinity
Old 06-01-06, 11:27 AM

E.T.? I don't remember off the top of my head if the original is anamorphic, but I'm pretty sure it is.
Old 06-01-06, 11:33 AM
Banned

The theatrical cut is available in R1, it's just MAR. All together there are FOUR different cuts of "Manhunter" available on DVD, the faux theatrical cut in OAR, the original director's cut which is MAR (it's the correct aspect ratio but incorrectly framed), the "restored director's cut" which is OAR but has poorer image quality on the added footage and the true theatrical cut which is pan & scan.

Each one has it's advantages and it's disadvantages.
Old 06-01-06, 12:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Stargate Ultimate Edition hasn't been mentioned.
Old 06-01-06, 02:27 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Independence Day
Old 06-01-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Anchor Bay released a 2-disc set with the "theatrical" cut and the director's cut, right?
You know what, you're right. I'd forgotten that the Limited Edition had both versions of the movie, the DC being that terrible quality edition mastered from a VHS tape and incorrectly framed.

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
The theatrical cut is available in R1, it's just MAR. All together there are FOUR different cuts of "Manhunter" available on DVD, the faux theatrical cut in OAR, the original director's cut which is MAR (it's the correct aspect ratio but incorrectly framed), the "restored director's cut" which is OAR but has poorer image quality on the added footage and the true theatrical cut which is pan & scan.
Is the p&s edition the true theatrical cut? I though it was the faux theatrical cut again.
Old 06-01-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Clerks X is an interesting comparison, because the master used for the Sundance cut was 11 years old when the disc was released (it was 1993, right?). The SW discs will be using 13 year-old masters, so the original versions will also have masters 11 years older than the (2 year-old) masters for the new versions.

The difference is that with the Clerks set, the Sundance cut really was intended as an extra. Without the Sundance cut, even if you had the first DVD edition, the set would be well worth getting because of the new anamorphic transfer for the film and lots of other extras. With the upcoming SW discs on the other hand, if you have the 2004 versions, the only reason to get them is for the "bonus" original versions.
Old 06-01-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gladiator Extended Edition
Wedding Crashers Uncorked Edition (1-disc but does include unrated and r-rated cuts)
Old 06-01-06, 11:56 PM
Banned

Is the p&s edition the true theatrical cut? I though it was the faux theatrical cut again.
Yep, MGM's pan & scan edition of the film is the true theatrical cut, including the famous missing scene where Graham and Crawford speculate that a life of abuse made Dolarhyde the monster he became.
Old 06-02-06, 10:02 AM

I don't think anyone mentioned Grandma's Boy. It's only a single disc, but it has both the theatrical and unrated cuts on it.