Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Zozo (Swedish Oscar Entry)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This film was also released the last week of April in Sweden (included Swedish DTS track, Scandinavian and English subtitles) and since it was Sweden's official Oscar entry last year we should have it here (hopefully will run a review for TALK).

The Variety blurb:
http://www.variety.com/ac2006_review...6&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Available through CD-wow.se.

See trailer here:
http://www.sonetfilm.se/zino.aspx?articleID=693&clip=1

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
Have the info for the Turkish Oscar contender as well. If anyone is interested let me know, will post.
Old 05-31-06, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pro-B. post it all. Also, got to see this at the film festival here in Philadelphia and I think it was the best film I saw at the festival.
Old 05-31-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to be available through at least some of the other CD-WOW sites as well ($17.95 after discount). They don't specifically list English subs but CD-WOW are often lacking when it comes to tech. specs. BuddhaWake's seal of approval and a nice looking trailer are more than enough to sell me.
Old 05-31-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I saw something like 50+ at the festival and this is the one that did it for me. even to the point that although the was a movie after this and a whole day left I decided that this was going to be my last one. so you know it was good. I really have to come up with a list of stuff just from this forum along as I want to check out some of those new turkish movies, 13 and Calvaire (sp)

As for the film is heart wrenching at times and tender and beautiful at others. It has certain pieces of magical realism that really help in understanding the psyche of Zozo and what he was going through and even how he was coming to terms with it.

Also, it appears that there is a danish release with no DTS and no english subs and the swedish version has subs and DTS? Is this right? If anyone has anymore concrete info let me know and I'll edit this part accordingly.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 05-31-06 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this film as well. The director's first two films are available on dvd and are both very good. "Jalla Jalla" is available from Australia under a poor english title something like "The Best Man's Wedding." "Kopps" is available - I believe I picked it up on ebay for about $20. Warning to Zozo fans that these are both fairly broad comedies.
Old 05-31-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Also, it appears that there is a danish release with no DTS and no english subs and the swedish version has subs and DTS? Is this right? If anyone has anymore concrete info let me know and I'll edit this part accordingly.
Appreciate you pointing this out....I wonder now which release is being carried by CD-WOW....maybe I'll hold off a bit until I can confirm things. Anyone know for sure?
Old 05-31-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seems that both are the same: (you can see the images and the discshop se site has a zoom function. The back covers are slightly different but both descriptions say the same.

sweedish

danish

The reason I first brough teh question was due to the fact that when I googled the dvd, many sites with a .dk didn't show enlgish subs nor the dts while many of those that contained the .se did.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 05-31-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime
Appreciate you pointing this out....I wonder now which release is being carried by CD-WOW....maybe I'll hold off a bit until I can confirm things. Anyone know for sure?
For the record I've had this film for over two weeks and the DVD i ordered through cd-wow.se is most definitely the Sandrew version with English subs (the cover is also in Swedish not Danish). I won't get to it for awhile as there are other films set for review now but I very much liked it (and the music).

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 05-31-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so. is the same one that can be picked up at the US site? since is a couple of bucks cheaper. 17.95 like flix said. I think we are just trying to figure out which is the one here.

http://www3.cd-wow.us/detail_results...subcat=region2
Old 05-31-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I would think it is the same one...i ordered mine through the Swedish branch (.se). As mentioned above it is just the site...they do not list the English subs.

Ciao,
Pro-B