Lady Vengeance -- 9/26/06

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lady Vengeance -- 9/26/06

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...engeance3.html

Awesome, I can't wait for this one.

UPDATE 6/15/06 -- Release date pushed up three weeks to 9/5/06.
UPDATE 6/16/06 -- Release date pushed back three weeks to original release date of 9/26/06.
UPDATED 9/19/06 -- Lowest Online Prices:

Amazon $15.99 before shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

DVDPlanet $16.95 after dollar shipping:
http://www.dvdplanet.com/Details.cfm...&affiliate=DPS

Last edited by alfonsosoriano; 09-19-06 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also picking this up, though I already own the R3 2-disc version.

I still find it a little annoying that almost all Asian films being released in the US has to include references related to Tarantino.
Old 05-30-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haha, yeah, I agree.
Old 05-30-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm hoping that AMC and thier new Select series has this in their future line-up. It would be great to see this on the big screen.
Old 05-30-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well .. if the guy is if even partially responsible for getting Asian films exposure stateside, then I personally would cut him slack. I'm very interested in seeing if he actually has any influence over the Weinsteins in this new agreement they've all come to. Time will tell.

As far as the film goes .. it is a very good one and I'm happy to see a R1 release for it, especially for those without region free players. I doubt I'll pick it up as I own the R3 2 Disk and it appears to be the definitive with the inclusion of the fade to black/white version - director's intent. But, I'll definately give it a rental to see how Tartan does with it.
Old 05-30-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Been looking forward to this.
Old 05-30-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely will pick this up - saw it at the NY Film Festival last September, and kept meaning to order the R3, but never did.
Old 05-30-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yay,the vengeance series will be complete now, I'll be getting this from CH.

I also despise all these quotes and references to tarantino on asian films. All quotes suck anyway, but these are way out of hand.
Old 05-31-06, 07:02 AM

Cool. I can't wait for this one!
Old 05-31-06, 07:58 AM

will there ever be a vengeance trilogy? Been holding off on these - hoping for a box set.
Old 05-31-06, 08:13 AM

"The best revenge thriller since Kill Bill"

awesome!!

seriously though, probably won't have enough for me to double dip.
Old 05-31-06, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Well .. if the guy is if even partially responsible for getting Asian films exposure stateside, then I personally would cut him slack. I'm very interested in seeing if he actually has any influence over the Weinsteins in this new agreement they've all come to. Time will tell.

As far as the film goes .. it is a very good one and I'm happy to see a R1 release for it, especially for those without region free players. I doubt I'll pick it up as I own the R3 2 Disk and it appears to be the definitive with the inclusion of the fade to black/white version - director's intent. But, I'll definately give it a rental to see how Tartan does with it.
What exactly does that mean? the fade to black/white version? how is it different? (I'm wondering if I should buy the R3 version)
Old 05-31-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The R3 disc includes the theatrical color-timing version (all color) and what was originally intended to be the color-timing for the film (a slow fade-to-black during the climactic sequence when the families are gathered to mete out punishment). The R3 disc includes both. The "fade to black" version has a DTS track (and only a DTS track) whereas the theatrical version has only a DD-5.1 track.

I believe the decision to go all-color was made after the film was shot, but I'm not sure why that decision was made. I've seen both versions now, and I prefer the fade-to-black if you had to pin me down. It's done very subtly, and I think it works quite well for the incredibly dark place the ending takes you.
Old 05-31-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

also, for some reason, tartan many times doesn't encode transfers for progressive players, so you sometimes get a little bit of jaggieness if you have a bigger screen or a crap player.
Old 05-31-06, 12:09 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll have to track the R3 edition down then.
Old 05-31-06, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I believe the decision to go all-color was made after the film was shot, but I'm not sure why that decision was made.
IIRC it was his decision to stay with the all color version. He was very happy with how the colors looked.
Old 05-31-06, 01:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
why did they take away "Sympathy For" ?
Old 05-31-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fnordboy
IIRC it was his decision to stay with the all color version. He was very happy with how the colors looked.
http://movies.aurum3.com/content/view/304/51/

"The film on the first DVD is in full colour while the second DVD has the Director's preferred version which fades to black near the end."

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/a...on-review.html

"It’s somewhat regrettable that the director’s preferred version of the film only has a DTS track, as it will surely prevent some people from enjoying it (not everyone has a DTS decoder)."

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm

"The first disc has the theatrical version of the movie, while the second one has the director's preferred version."

Sorry, no offense intended, fnordboy .. just staking out what I've read up on this one as it's one of my higher rated films. Though, perhaps more recently Chan-wook changed his mind - I don't know. But if you can find a more recent source, I'd love to see it.

Even though I require both versions of the film, I prefer the all color version.

Last edited by visitor Q; 05-31-06 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 11:44 PM

I genuinely disliked this one, but having only watched it once, I'd be willing to give it a second chance on its R1 release. Always seemed odd to me that Park could take such a tumble in quality after Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy, so perhaps first impressions aren't the best way to go.
Old 06-01-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never got the r3 of this so I will definitely pick this one up...I liked this one much better than Mr. Vengence and of course Oldboy ranks in the all-time for me so excited about getting this one now.
Old 06-01-06, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Sorry, no offense intended, fnordboy .. just staking out what I've read up on this one as it's one of my higher rated films. Though, perhaps more recently Chan-wook changed his mind - I don't know. But if you can find a more recent source, I'd love to see it.
None taken, I will have to see if I can remember where I read/heard that.

For me this film didn't do much. I liked it, but something was lacking from it IMO.
Old 06-02-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I'm the only who thinks it might be the best of the bunch? (Not as audacious in its presentation as "Oldboy", but a bit more thoughtful with respect to its theme.)

Anyway, for those who don't have the R3 and decide they don't need the "fade-to-black" version, this scathing review of Tartan's recent R2 release might actually bode well for Tartan's R1 release inasmuch as the R2 is an incorrectly converted NTSC>PAL transfer. In other words, the R1 transfer will likely not be an incorrectly converted PAL>NTSC job (though maybe Tartan will do something really crazy like re-convert the PAL-converted transfer back to NTSC in a non-progressive transfer and then edge-enhance it to hell so all the combing artifacts really stick out).
Old 06-02-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I guess I'm the only who thinks it might be the best of the bunch? (Not as audacious in its presentation as "Oldboy", but a bit more thoughtful with respect to its theme.)
Nope, it was my favorite of the bunch as well.

As for me, I will be sticking with the R3 unless reviews for this one are just outstanding... which I doubt they will be.
Old 06-03-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't seen this one yet but my friend said he didn't like it as much as the two others. I can't wait to see it.
Old 06-03-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One can't help comparing to the other two in the "revenge trilogy", but as a stand alone, I enjoyed it .. and equally, if not more than the first two. It's pieced together rather well and in the end, asks the question do the means justify the end - and in this case, vice versa. It has more of a philosophical underpinning IMO and it's approach is more subtle than the first two films, at least from what I can remember. It's an easy recommendation for at least one viewing, but definately won't be everyone's cup of tea.

By the way, although Tartan is known for delivering the goods in its original form, has anyone heard if anything will be cut from this release?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.