Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Has anyone signed up for the Netflix class action settlement offer?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this email from netflix a few weeks ago:

"You are receiving this notice because you were a paid Netflix member before January 15, 2005. Under a class action settlement, you may be eligible to receive a free month of service or a free one-month upgrade from Netflix. You may recall receiving a similar notice in November 2005. Since that time, the parties have modified the settlement and have extended the time by which you may sign-up for the benefit. Most importantly, under the amended settlement, if you are an eligible former Netflix member and sign up for the free one-month membership, your membership will end automatically unless you choose to continue your service. If you are an eligible current Netflix member and sign up for the free one-month upgrade, your upgraded membership will return to your previous service level unless you choose to continue the upgraded service. Additional changes to the settlement are reflected in the Amended Settlement Agreement. If you wish to compare the Amended Settlement Agreement with the Original Settlement Agreement, the Parties have posted a comparison at www.netflix.com/settlement.

This settlement arises from a class action lawsuit entitled Chavez v. Netflix, Inc. that was filed in San Francisco Superior Court (case number CGC-04-434884) on September 23, 2004.
.....etc............."

I signed up for the one month free service and I have received no word from netflix. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

P.S.: I did a search to see if there are are any existing threads on this topic. Finding none, I decided to open this thread.
Old 05-31-06, 12:42 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I signed up for it. I'm still a member so it'll be an automatic upgrade for me (once they decide on the month).
Old 05-31-06, 01:11 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Long answer: They threw out the original settlement (due to their continuing to charge for the higher plan after the month upgrade (you would have to manually downgrade after the upgraded month)) and got rid of that. Now they amended the settlement and there was a second opt-in/out window (that I think it still going on). Once that period is over, it'll need to be approved by the court (based, in part, on complaints about the settlement and the number of people who chose to opt-out). Then we'll see our free month/upgrade. It'll be a few more (6?) months.

Short answer: it'll still be a while before you can collect due to some snags with the process.