Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

VH1's Can't Get A Date

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH1's Can't Get A Date

Has anyone seen this show? I think it's like my favorite new show. Each episode they take one dating-challeged individual and point out what they are doing wrong, and then help them out. It sounds generic, but it's really well done. It's done "interview" style, with the people talking to the camera. The people they get are pretty strange but endearing, and the voiceover guy is hilarious. I think everyone who's had bad dates should check out this show.
Old 05-28-06, 10:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wonder how many of the contestants are DVDTalk regulars?
Old 05-28-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haha, based on the commotion going on in otterville, I would say "a lot".
Old 05-29-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen three or four of them. Very interesting and that narrator just hooks me in with his voice and banter. Twice I thought I was taping it but the TV Guide was incorrect. VH1 does that quite a bit.
Old 05-29-06, 08:17 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

This week's episode was exactly the type of thing I was looking for from this show. Some of the people they've had on before seemed odd, but still fairly social and outgoing. I can't relate to that. I can relate to the girl this week, Mandy, because all of her problems were in her head. I thought she was also the most entertaining person I've seen on the show so far. I loved how she would have a new excuse every time the narrator would ask her something. Then, the narrator called her out on it.
Old 05-29-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only real problem I have with the show is that they never say how long it's been since they first started. A week? A month? Some of the people have to go through major changes, so I figure it's gotta take some time.

That Mandy girl was adorable, and a bit crazy with that raccoon puppet.
Old 06-05-06, 03:45 PM

Each of the subjects works with the Host and Accomplices (the people who help them go through the changes like Ary, Mandy's martial arts instructor) for about three months. Some take a little longer... (the Host has mentioned on televisionwithoutpity.com forums that they spent 5 months with Bennet).

Glad to hear you like the show. Just so you know, it'll be on Logo this week (it's on a VH1 hiatus) Wednesday, June 7, 2006 at 10:30pm. New episodes!

I loved Tubb (the racoon!) too!! I thought it was real for a minute...
Old 06-06-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What is Logo?
Old 06-06-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A gay-centric TV channel.
Old 06-07-06, 11:33 AM

yup, it's a gay and lesbian network (sister network to VH1). so all the gay and lesbian episodesk, new ones plus Marc and Mandy, will be aired on Logo starting tonight. i think if you have digital or satellite like Direct TV, you have Logo. otherwise, i believe you have to request it.
Old 06-07-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

was wondering what happened to it. too bad I don't get Logo. how's it doing for VH1? hate for it to be canceled after just a few episodes.
Old 06-07-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I've seen three or four of them. Very interesting and that narrator just hooks me in with his voice and banter. Twice I thought I was taping it but the TV Guide was incorrect. VH1 does that quite a bit.
I know. I thought this show was going to be so stupid, but the narrator had me completely hooked from the first episode with the cute black girl Mya. Something about his voice is so comforting and smooth. And I love the fact that you don't see him. I hope this comes back after hiatus.
Old 06-07-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think he's the banker from Deal or No Deal.
Old 06-09-06, 12:01 PM

Haha, sorry I'm pretty sure it's not the Deal or No Deal guy. Glad to hear you like his voice though. I've heard some people say he sounds like a creepy pervert. Or a pimp. Which, could be good or bad depending on your point of view.

Good news for those of you who don't have Logo. Last Wednesday's episode, Jenni, was put on YouTube in three parts. It should be on the Myspace soon as well. (www.myspace.com/cantgetadate). So, if you don't have Logo and the VH1 hiatus is taking too long, there's the spot to get your Can't Get a Date fix.

Did anyone catch Jenni's episode on Logo?