Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Need help identifying short that used to play at close of programming day

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Need help identifying short that used to play at close of programming day

This is one of those impossible tasks I have given myself, but I'm hoping someone here will know what I am looking for.

Many years ago when local TV stations used to actually sign off of the air some time around 12:00 or 1:00 am, a couple of the local stations used to run a short subject before playing the National Anthem. It also showed up sometimes at the start of the programming day.

The short ran about three-to-four minutes in length and consisted of a rapid succession of historical images, timed to a solo drum number. Basically the images took you from the Revolutionary War up until modern day, and the short ended with a quick picture rundown of the presidents of the United States. The last time I remember seeing it, it ended with the image of Ronald Reagan.

I thought the drum number was called "Beat that Drum" but my search on AllMusic came up empty.

If anyone remembers this and can shed some light on its identity (and the name of the drum solo contained within it), I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-28-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a collection of sign-offs for different areas.

Link
Old 05-28-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abelkems
Here is a collection of sign-offs for different areas.

Link
Gotta say that the site is awesome. Being from Baltimore, I loved watching the old "People are Talking" promos with Richard Scher and Oprah Winfrey.

Unfortunately, however, this clip is missing from the site, so the search continues...
Old 05-29-06, 08:52 AM
Banned

Holy flashback, Batman!

Being from the SoCal area, I remember channel 7's sign-off of the 'High Flight' video well.

Strange to see it now - Wow, that brings back memories.

There was another channel in SoCal that used Ray Charles doing 'America The Beautiful', but I can't remember which one.
Old 05-30-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This site is a great source for the kind of thing you are looking for...worth a shot.

http://www.archive.org/details/movies
Old 06-07-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPDATE:

Amazingly, I have managed to determine what the short is. Was talking with my brother about it, and he mentioned seeing it on 16mm film in elementary school.

So I checked the catalog for the Enoch Pratt Free Library's Sight and Sound division. And after scanning about 4 pages of 16mm films devoted to history, I found it.

The short is called "An American Time Capsule: a very short history of the United States." It was originally put together in 1968 by Charles Braverman for the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. The drum music played over the short was Sandy Nelson's "Beat that Drum."

So now I just need to find a copy somewhere. I lack a 16mm projector and a telecine system so thats not an option. Hopefully, its found its way in a collection of shorts somewhere.

BTW, for those may remember it, Braverman was also responsible for the film "Condensed Cream of Beatles."

Thanks to everyone for their help.