Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE? -Season Premiere May 25, 2006

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE? -Season Premiere May 25, 2006

Last summer’s smash hit, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, will begin another search for the best undiscovered dancing talent the U.S. has to offer.
Old 05-26-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had this on in the background, and there was some pretty bad dancing going on in the audition phase.
Old 05-26-06, 11:25 AM

Wow, thought it was really a weak start. Few good dancers so far. Dont like the host "Cat Deely". My daughter actually took master class from Dan Karady and Mia Micheals so I love to see them. Dan Karady is a really good judge and so talented in his hip hop routines. Hope it picks up next week. I think I remember last season's premier being a lot more exciting than this one.
Old 05-26-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't remember them doing the "American Idol" thing with the auditions last season. Meaning showing all of the bad people sprinkled in with a few good ones.

Is Cat Deely the host for the whole season? Did they ditch the Sanchez chick from last year?
Old 05-26-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First episode didn't look as interesting as season 1. I guess not having Laura Sanchez as the hostress is a start. So far, the dancers they picked to goto Vegas are not impressive imo. Hopefully, there will be better dancers in the next audition.

That gay guy from NYC was totally in his own world. Where do I put my mint coat. It's very expensive
Old 05-26-06, 11:47 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The most impressive thing was the 25-second hip hop guy who did all the crazy flips and perfect transitions, but was eventually cut because he couldn't do the fancy stuff. Granted those skills are more about gymnastics and acrobatics than dancing, but it was still damn impressive to watch.

The Jewish kid more or less DDT-ing himself was crazy to watch from every angle. I'm surprised he wasn't more hurt because that looked brutal.

I can't believe that one girl was a dance teacher. Wouldn't you at least want to see her dance before you hired her, especially considering her age and therefore, lack of credentials?

An okay start, but IMO unlike many of these type of shows (American Inventor notably) this one gets much better once the real competition starts.
Old 05-26-06, 12:03 PM

That popper guy that looks like he was getting electro shock therapy was unfreaking believeable. He passed the lyrical portion of the choreography and is going to Vegas so I hope he can pull of the more technical elements and we get to see a lot more of that Popping!
Old 05-26-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this a popular show?
Old 05-26-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
is this a popular show?
I enjoyed it last year, but I didn't know it was a "smash hit." And yes, they did do the American idol type "bad auditions" last year too. What happened to Sanchez, I was actually really impressed when she danced on the finale last year.
Old 05-26-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got to see four people perform:

The husky Hispanic guy that pulled a hammy and had to have a medic treat him.

The black girl that made it to the next round.

The gay guy with the Mink coat. Priceless!

And I saw the replay of the kid with long hair and glasses nicknamed "Sexy". His mom gave a lecture to the camera about how good her son was and not judging a book by it's cover.
Old 05-28-06, 10:17 AM

Just read that Sanchez is pregnant and is would be having the baby halfway through the show.
Old 05-28-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That one chick that did all those legs extensions with the pink & yellow outfit on was hawtttttt! Not the greatest dancer, but I'd like to see more of her on the show.
Old 05-29-06, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Just read that Sanchez is pregnant and is would be having the baby halfway through the show.

Yeah, Lauren is a local newscaster here in L.A., she went on maternity leave last week.
Old 05-29-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shilex
That one chick that did all those legs extensions with the pink & yellow outfit on was hawtttttt! Not the greatest dancer, but I'd like to see more of her on the show.
Wasn't she jailbait?
Old 05-30-06, 11:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asabase
Wasn't she jailbait?
I think they said she had graduated high school or would be soon, so she should be 18 by now. Not that it makes a difference unless Shilex is actually planning on tracking her down and hooking up with her.
Old 05-30-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, they said she just graduated. Now to plan my trip to Vegas and get my stalking skills down.
Old 06-01-06, 10:20 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I watched the ep last night... my first time seeing this show.

That group of guys that called themselves the '6 Steps' (?) that included the runner up from last year... they were great.

All in all, it was enjoyable and the judges were cool too. It's nice to see someone other than Paula at the table.

I'll give it a shot again.
Old 06-01-06, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I watched the ep last night... my first time seeing this show.

That group of guys that called themselves the '6 Steps' (?) that included the runner up from last year... they were great.

All in all, it was enjoyable and the judges were cool too. It's nice to see someone other than Paula at the table.

I'll give it a shot again.
I think you will enjoy it...especially when it gets whittled down to only the very talented. Love how they mix up the judges from different genres of dance. It makes the dancers have to be versatile to impress them.. Alot of the hip hopper, poppers, etc. had a hard time impressing the ball room dance judge, Mary. (who by the way lost a lot of weight and looks great!)
Love Dan Karady, who was last weeks judge, a hip hop choreographer.

By the way, Ryan (the 6 STeps guy) wasnt a runner up..he was a finalist..probably got down to the last 5 or 6 or so, but his lack of versatality did him in.

What I like about this is that they all have to perform different genres of dance, and then the judges pick the bottom 3 couples...and then they individually dance their specialty for the TV audience who gets to vote for their favorite. Lowest guy and girl go home.

Seems like they raised the stakes this year. Securing a job in Vegas for Celine Dion is huge. Last year I think they got a New York apt. for a year and 100,000.00. But you better believe that whoever wins is going to have to have the whole package. They have incredible dancers performing for her..so you gotta bring something more than crumping to the stage.
Old 06-01-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First time I ever watched it, and I really loved it. Good dancing, bad dancing, and judges that are amusing... count me in. I will be tuning in for more.
Old 06-01-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dan Karady is the worst judge of them all, based on season 1 imo. I doubt they change the format but I wish all the randomly picked couple do the same dance to be fair. It's BS for one couple to dance tango and another doing hip hop or some other dance style. Some people will fair better in one style and they can get lucky if they randomly picked the right one, say hip hop everytime.
Old 06-02-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Might as well change the thread title to season or official or somehting. I remember last season there weren't enough posts to warrant more than one thread.

And so far this season I'm just bored. Typically the opening rounds are the fun rounds. For this they were craptastic. I loved Ryan last season, but I cna't see anything so far that I would feel the need to stay watching for.
Old 06-15-06, 10:08 AM

Last night's stuff was pretty good. Interesting pairings.

I didn't watch last season, but I'll continue to watch this one.
Old 06-15-06, 10:12 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Is anyone still watching as this enters the real competition?

Did they reverse the setup this time around? I only saw a few episodes last season, but I swore that last year the judges would pick the bottom two couples, those four dancers would each dance individually, and the audience would call and vote on which male and female dancer they wanted to stick around. This year it seems the audience is voting at first among all couples, with the dancers in the bottom three couples having to dance individually, and the judges eliminating one male and one female. If so, I like the change because it prevents the audience from letting a dancer keep sliding through because they have a more dynamic/explosive individual dance style that attracts viewer votes (versus their overall dance ability). A crazy breaking routine is almost always going to be favored in votes over a perfect ballet routine, for instance.

Also, I thought they switched up the couples every week last season, whereas now they appear to stick together until a vote splits them up. I think the old way is better, as it prevented lesser dancers from coasting through with a great/popular partner.

One thing I really like about this show is the wide variety of dance styles represented. Salsa, hip hop, disco, broadway, Viennese waltz, etc.
Old 06-15-06, 10:26 AM

Methinks that they are trying to capture the same audience as "Dancing with the Stars" as well as the younger "hipper" crowd by having them go through the different styles.

It's intriguing to see how they try to adapt and work together.

I wonder if there is a DialIdol site for SYTYCD... that would be fun to follow.
Old 06-15-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't watch last year, although I wish I had watched it because it seems like a lot of fun. I love the Dance for Your Lives bits. I can't wait for that tonight, even though I hope couple one and ten avoid it. Either way, fun, fun times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.