DVD Talk
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE? -Season Premiere May 25, 2006 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE? -Season Premiere May 25, 2006

magiccmom
05-26-06, 11:22 AM
Last summerís smash hit, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, will begin another search for the best undiscovered dancing talent the U.S. has to offer.

Patman
05-26-06, 11:25 AM
I had this on in the background, and there was some pretty bad dancing going on in the audition phase.

magiccmom
05-26-06, 11:25 AM
Wow, thought it was really a weak start. Few good dancers so far. Dont like the host "Cat Deely". My daughter actually took master class from Dan Karady and Mia Micheals so I love to see them. Dan Karady is a really good judge and so talented in his hip hop routines. Hope it picks up next week. I think I remember last season's premier being a lot more exciting than this one.

Timber
05-26-06, 11:30 AM
I don't remember them doing the "American Idol" thing with the auditions last season. Meaning showing all of the bad people sprinkled in with a few good ones.

Is Cat Deely the host for the whole season? Did they ditch the Sanchez chick from last year?

zuffy
05-26-06, 11:30 AM
First episode didn't look as interesting as season 1. I guess not having Laura Sanchez as the hostress is a start. So far, the dancers they picked to goto Vegas are not impressive imo. Hopefully, there will be better dancers in the next audition.

That gay guy from NYC was totally in his own world. Where do I put my mint coat. It's very expensive :lol:

DRG
05-26-06, 11:47 AM
The most impressive thing was the 25-second hip hop guy who did all the crazy flips and perfect transitions, but was eventually cut because he couldn't do the fancy stuff. Granted those skills are more about gymnastics and acrobatics than dancing, but it was still damn impressive to watch.

The Jewish kid more or less DDT-ing himself was crazy to watch from every angle. I'm surprised he wasn't more hurt because that looked brutal.

I can't believe that one girl was a dance teacher. Wouldn't you at least want to see her dance before you hired her, especially considering her age and therefore, lack of credentials?

An okay start, but IMO unlike many of these type of shows (American Inventor notably) this one gets much better once the real competition starts.

magiccmom
05-26-06, 12:03 PM
That popper guy that looks like he was getting electro shock therapy was unfreaking believeable. He passed the lyrical portion of the choreography and is going to Vegas so I hope he can pull of the more technical elements and we get to see a lot more of that Popping!

raven56706
05-26-06, 12:04 PM
is this a popular show?

fujishig
05-26-06, 01:10 PM
is this a popular show?

I enjoyed it last year, but I didn't know it was a "smash hit." And yes, they did do the American idol type "bad auditions" last year too. What happened to Sanchez, I was actually really impressed when she danced on the finale last year.

joefrog91
05-26-06, 03:45 PM
I got to see four people perform:

The husky Hispanic guy that pulled a hammy and had to have a medic treat him.

The black girl that made it to the next round.

The gay guy with the Mink coat. Priceless!

And I saw the replay of the kid with long hair and glasses nicknamed "Sexy". His mom gave a lecture to the camera about how good her son was and not judging a book by it's cover.

magiccmom
05-28-06, 10:17 AM
Just read that Sanchez is pregnant and is would be having the baby halfway through the show.

Shilex
05-28-06, 10:58 PM
That one chick that did all those legs extensions with the pink & yellow outfit on was hawtttttt! Not the greatest dancer, but I'd like to see more of her on the show.

SPiRAL
05-29-06, 10:22 PM
Just read that Sanchez is pregnant and is would be having the baby halfway through the show.

Yeah, Lauren is a local newscaster here in L.A., she went on maternity leave last week.

asabase
05-29-06, 11:28 PM
That one chick that did all those legs extensions with the pink & yellow outfit on was hawtttttt! Not the greatest dancer, but I'd like to see more of her on the show.

Wasn't she jailbait?

DRG
05-30-06, 11:20 AM
Wasn't she jailbait?

I think they said she had graduated high school or would be soon, so she should be 18 by now. Not that it makes a difference unless Shilex is actually planning on tracking her down and hooking up with her. :)

Shilex
05-30-06, 05:28 PM
Yeah, they said she just graduated. Now to plan my trip to Vegas and get my stalking skills down. :)

Goldberg74
06-01-06, 10:20 AM
I watched the ep last night... my first time seeing this show.

That group of guys that called themselves the '6 Steps' (?) that included the runner up from last year... they were great.

All in all, it was enjoyable and the judges were cool too. It's nice to see someone other than Paula at the table.

I'll give it a shot again.

magiccmom
06-01-06, 11:07 AM
I watched the ep last night... my first time seeing this show.

That group of guys that called themselves the '6 Steps' (?) that included the runner up from last year... they were great.

All in all, it was enjoyable and the judges were cool too. It's nice to see someone other than Paula at the table.

I'll give it a shot again.
I think you will enjoy it...especially when it gets whittled down to only the very talented. Love how they mix up the judges from different genres of dance. It makes the dancers have to be versatile to impress them.. Alot of the hip hopper, poppers, etc. had a hard time impressing the ball room dance judge, Mary. (who by the way lost a lot of weight and looks great!)
Love Dan Karady, who was last weeks judge, a hip hop choreographer.

By the way, Ryan (the 6 STeps guy) wasnt a runner up..he was a finalist..probably got down to the last 5 or 6 or so, but his lack of versatality did him in.

What I like about this is that they all have to perform different genres of dance, and then the judges pick the bottom 3 couples...and then they individually dance their specialty for the TV audience who gets to vote for their favorite. Lowest guy and girl go home.

Seems like they raised the stakes this year. Securing a job in Vegas for Celine Dion is huge. Last year I think they got a New York apt. for a year and 100,000.00. But you better believe that whoever wins is going to have to have the whole package. They have incredible dancers performing for her..so you gotta bring something more than crumping to the stage.

onebyone
06-01-06, 11:27 AM
First time I ever watched it, and I really loved it. Good dancing, bad dancing, and judges that are amusing... count me in. I will be tuning in for more.

zuffy
06-01-06, 01:47 PM
Dan Karady is the worst judge of them all, based on season 1 imo. I doubt they change the format but I wish all the randomly picked couple do the same dance to be fair. It's BS for one couple to dance tango and another doing hip hop or some other dance style. Some people will fair better in one style and they can get lucky if they randomly picked the right one, say hip hop everytime.

Daniel-A
06-02-06, 02:44 AM
Might as well change the thread title to season or official or somehting. I remember last season there weren't enough posts to warrant more than one thread.

And so far this season I'm just bored. Typically the opening rounds are the fun rounds. For this they were craptastic. I loved Ryan last season, but I cna't see anything so far that I would feel the need to stay watching for.

Goldberg74
06-15-06, 10:08 AM
Last night's stuff was pretty good. Interesting pairings.

I didn't watch last season, but I'll continue to watch this one.

DRG
06-15-06, 10:12 AM
Is anyone still watching as this enters the real competition?

Did they reverse the setup this time around? I only saw a few episodes last season, but I swore that last year the judges would pick the bottom two couples, those four dancers would each dance individually, and the audience would call and vote on which male and female dancer they wanted to stick around. This year it seems the audience is voting at first among all couples, with the dancers in the bottom three couples having to dance individually, and the judges eliminating one male and one female. If so, I like the change because it prevents the audience from letting a dancer keep sliding through because they have a more dynamic/explosive individual dance style that attracts viewer votes (versus their overall dance ability). A crazy breaking routine is almost always going to be favored in votes over a perfect ballet routine, for instance.

Also, I thought they switched up the couples every week last season, whereas now they appear to stick together until a vote splits them up. I think the old way is better, as it prevented lesser dancers from coasting through with a great/popular partner.

One thing I really like about this show is the wide variety of dance styles represented. Salsa, hip hop, disco, broadway, Viennese waltz, etc.

Goldberg74
06-15-06, 10:26 AM
Methinks that they are trying to capture the same audience as "Dancing with the Stars" as well as the younger "hipper" crowd by having them go through the different styles.

It's intriguing to see how they try to adapt and work together.

I wonder if there is a DialIdol site for SYTYCD... that would be fun to follow.

onebyone
06-15-06, 11:44 AM
I didn't watch last year, although I wish I had watched it because it seems like a lot of fun. I love the Dance for Your Lives bits. I can't wait for that tonight, even though I hope couple one and ten avoid it. Either way, fun, fun times.

Goldberg74
06-15-06, 11:20 PM
Tonight's ejectees...

Erin and Stanislov

I agree with the choice for girl, but was shocked by the guy choice.

Ivan should have been sent packing... but Stan's lack of personality (if he had any at all) was what did him in.

DRG
06-15-06, 11:38 PM
So basically the couples will stay the same, because both ejectees were from the same couple? They made a big deal about how Allison was hurt by having Ivan as a partner, but now she keeps him as a partner? I would have liked to see an Allison/Stanislav pairing.

Heat
06-16-06, 02:29 AM
I saw Wednesday's show, but missed tonight's show.

I can kind of see these two being cut (do we still need spoilers?), the personality of the others is better.

If interested, here's the website:

http://www.fox.com/dance/

Anubis2005X
06-16-06, 03:34 AM
Yeah, I thought the foreign dude was a lot better than Ivan; he needs to lose those stupid hats too...

zuffy
06-16-06, 08:55 AM
Ivan should have been gone. I thought the foreign dude is much better than Ivan. How can the judges tell the world that Ivan is one dimensional and suck as a partner for Allison but not vote him off?

btw, I think season 1 has much better dancers and the girls are hotter.

onebyone
06-16-06, 01:12 PM
I like how Mary made such a big deal about that couple not belonging in the bottom three and then.... they both got shown the door. Fun times. I thought it would be Ivan instead of Stanislav, but alas, neither were my favorites so I was ok regardless.

Original Desmond
06-25-06, 10:20 PM
Now the live performances have started, this show rocks !

All of the remaining dancers are kick arse and it's great seeing them dance to unfamiliar styles

magiccmom
06-25-06, 11:34 PM
I'm loving this show too, but I'm a big dance fan so know surprise! Was very surprised that Joy was asked to leave over that other contemporary dancer that gave up on her solo and couldnt even form a sentence. She had no fight left in her, but they gave her another chance. I dont get it. I do like how the voting goes, with America voting the bottom 3, but the judges get to pick who leaves.
Loving the swing dancer and the black dancer who danced the cha cha at the end last week. That was hot.

WarriorPrincess
07-03-06, 11:59 AM
I usually hate "reality" shows, so I didn't even give this one a chance last year. But I fell asleep on the couch a few weeks ago and when I woke up the show was on...and I was hooked. I hate the "bad auditions" - one of the reasons I stopped watching American Idol. I love to watch truly talented people perform, however, and what a talented group this is! I started at the top 18, and I'll keep on watching until it's over. My favorite is Ivan...I think. :)

zuffy
07-03-06, 12:51 PM
Ivan suck! I like the performers from last year much more. I think Travis will be the winner year. He's very similar to last year's winner, Nick, imo.

Tommy Ceez
07-03-06, 02:16 PM
Theres no way Benji is not winning this

Original Desmond
07-04-06, 12:47 AM
Yeah i agree this show sucks until the live performances

I downloaded all of Season 1 (hadn't seen before) and the first few episodes are painful

I like Musa, he rocks, Ivan has a good personality but is technically lacking. Benji is very impressive considering he's a swing dancer. Dimitri is a stud, no getting around that, he will be hard to beat from a female voting point of view. Travis to me lacks spark

Out of the girls, i think it's more even, Heidi is quite good

Good show, Nigel is entertaining, can't stand the Mary judge, she screams too much

DRG
07-05-06, 10:32 AM
I enjoy this show much more than I ever thought I would. The variety in styles really sets it apart. A lot of styles I didn't even know existed, but its fun to watch (except I just can't stomach contemporary, even if I admire the skill behind it). The lottery factor makes it exciting as well (I'd like to see Idol use this, at least for one week - "Kellie Pickler has pulled... 80's metal!"). Plus female dancers are just damn sexy... especially when doing latin dances or wearing those little spandex shorts. :drool:

magiccmom
07-05-06, 07:02 PM
That Argentino Tango with Ivan and Allison was hot, hot, hot~! Dimitri and the ballet dancer would make an awesome couple. Dimitri and the popper girl can not be a good thing!

zuffy
07-05-06, 07:09 PM
God, Fox is fucking milking this 2 hours with the audition shit again.

Timber
07-05-06, 07:56 PM
God, Fox is fucking milking this 2 hours with the audition shit again.

Yup and because I'm in love with Cat Deeley I can't help but watch it, well FF through the auditions and watch her intros.

magiccmom
07-05-06, 11:29 PM
Jamyz and Jessica cant catch a break! I guess I want Jamyz and Ashlee to go home because I would really like to see Jessica and Dimitri together. Musa and Natalie, Allison and Ivan, Martha and Travis, Benji and Donelle? ALL HOT HOT HOT (insert Mary scream here) I would like the finals to be Natalie and Benji...with Natalie winning it all.

DRG
07-06-06, 09:31 AM
I was actually glad to see the audition stuff there at the beginning, because it made it easier to fast forward through (as opposed to filling the show with filler throughout).

I didn't really think there was a bad performance last night. Benji/Donelle and Musa/Natalie were my top two. Allison/Ivan were not far behind them. Heidi/Ryan was much better than expected, although I would've like to see a few more paired moves in that routine (not their fault). Ashlee/Dmitri was fun, although I couldn't really ascertain the dancing ability out of that. Travis/Martha was fun to watch, but I didn't feel that spark, that sexiness that usually comes in latin dances. Jessica/Jaymz were game and did their best, but I agree with the judges that it just didn't feel right.

I can't imagine who'll go home. Ashlee and Jaymz makes sense, but they could also can Jessica for the no personality thing, or Dmitri for not connecting with partners. Of course that's if they are in the bottom three.

Goldberg74
07-06-06, 09:46 AM
I loved the part where Benji was searching for his inner Dimitry. That was classic.

magiccmom
07-06-06, 10:17 AM
I loved the part where Benji was searching for his inner Dimitry. That was classic.
I agree. That was so hysterical!! The whole clip was so enjoyable to watch. He is such a great personality and his dance is phenomenal.

zuffy
07-06-06, 04:20 PM
Anyone noticed that Martha is pretty muscular and her biscips are much bigger than Travis? Whenever she wear those sleeveless dress or shirt, it pretty pronounce. I think she can kick Travis ass with one hand. :lol:

Aphex Twin
07-06-06, 05:10 PM
Yup and because I'm in love with Cat Deeley I can't help but watch it, well FF through the auditions and watch her intros.

Is that the flat-chested girl? Why the hell was she wearing that dress? She should wear more padded stuff.

zuffy
07-06-06, 05:58 PM
Cat Deeley is no Lauren Sanchez, in look and body curve.

magiccmom
07-06-06, 07:44 PM
Cat Deeley is no Lauren Sanchez, in look and body curve.
....and speech

parker63
07-06-06, 08:39 PM
....and speech

Oh, come on now....let's leave that up to the "jiidges"...

Yeah, she's buggin' me...bring back Lauren!

Goldberg74
07-06-06, 10:42 PM
:wave:

Jessic'er* and Jaymz

* As Cat would pronounce it.

onebyone
07-07-06, 11:45 AM
That one was a big fat no brainer last night. The only mystery is that, after Jaymz's 19th nervous breakdown, they even considered sending someone else home. Hell, after he fell off stage, I still can't quite believe they didn't send him home last week. I'll miss him though. He was good sometimes, and it always spices things up to have someone unstable in the mix.

I am going to be sad when they break up the couples for solo dancing. I have become quite attached to two of the couples and damn it, I want to see them together.

I am a big fan of the Dance for your Life segments, and they were great this week. I am starting to think everything in life should be decided just.like.that.

magiccmom
07-07-06, 05:00 PM
AAAAh, I mistakenly erased the elimination show last night and didnt get to watch! Can someone please fill me in on the bottom 3, the solos, and what the judges comments were???? I will be forever grateful :flowers:

fujishig
07-07-06, 05:39 PM
Bottom three were:
Jaymz and Jessica
Ryan and Heidi
Ivan and Allison

Allison was the first girl safe... Nigel said that although they might not agree with Mary that she's the favorite to win it all, she is one of the best dancers, and deserved to stay. Heidi they complemented on her bubbly personality and technical proficiency, and though Jessica was technically a great dancer, they had to let her go because she just didn't exude the personality that she said she had.

Ivan was actually the first guy safe... they said pretty much what they've said about him before, that he's not really a great dancer but that he is great at what he does, and he is improving, which is one of the points of watching the show. They said that Ryan wasn't really showing the energy and excitement they wanted him to bring to the competition. They asked Jaymz what his proficiency was, to show that he wasn't serious about dancing for his life, as he chose to do a pasa doble (not his strength) seemingly on a whim. They then cut Jaymz, although they said that Mary wanted him to stay and had to be convinced otherwise (she wanted Ryan to go).

So if they don't go to singles next week, the couples don't change anyway. Doing the judging this way this season really lets the judges control who goes, and ensures that their favorites stay. I think they have to let the audience decide when it comes to the final two, maybe even before that, but by that time only the best dancers will be left. I mean, I like Musa and all, and I'm amazed that he's never been in the bottom three, but he's not winning it all and dancing for Celine next year.

Original Desmond
07-09-06, 06:15 AM
I think at this stage it is good the judges still control who ultimately goes.

The fact is with something as technical as dancing, the public does NOT know best. the judges know who have the best ultimate potential.

In too many reality shows the public have voted off true talent too early on and have kept on 'gimmicky' type contestants because all the voting 11 year old girls know jack shit.

Of course at some point in time, they will have to turn it over 100% to the public.

I'm happy enough that there aren't any bad dancers left, they are all pretty damm good.

Ivan's solo was amazing, very cool.

Natalie i think is my fav female followed by Allison.

Glad that Jaymz went, he shot himself in the foot with that tantrum about styles.

And i definitely prefer Cat Deeley to Lauren Sanchez though id do both of them :)

magiccmom
07-13-06, 12:12 AM
That dance by Allison and Ivan was a joy to watch! Allison is so talented and has such a feel for the music...She is truly talented, and I wanted Ivan gone in the first couple of episodes but I gotta tell you he puts heart and sould into his dance and is amazing to see how far he has gone. The Argentine Tango and this contempary dance was unbelievable, and I am a true fan.

I think the bottom 3 are Dimitri and Ashlee, Natalie and Musa, and either Ryan & Heidi , or Ivan and Martha. Musa and Natalie will Def. not go home, they just didnt nail their dance this week. I'm thinking Dimitri's time is up or Ryan, perferably Ryan, and Ashlee needs to go. Would love to see Heidi and Dimitri stir up some heat, though I dont know how many times he can land in the bottom 3 without going home.

I'll watch Allison and Ivan's dance again and again. It was beautiful.

onebyone
07-13-06, 12:19 AM
That dance by Allison and Ivan was a joy to watch! Allison is so talented and has such a feel for the music...She is truly talented, and I wanted Ivan gone in the first couple of episodes but I gotta tell you he puts heart and sould into his dance and is amazing to see how far he has gone. The Argentine Tango and this contempary dance was unbelievable, and I am a true fan.

I think the bottom 3 are Dimitri and Ashlee, Natalie and Musa, and either Ryan & Heidi , or Ivan and Martha. Musa and Natalie will Def. not go home, they just didnt nail their dance this week. I'm thinking Dimitri's time is up or Ryan, perferably Ryan, and Ashlee needs to go. Would love to see Heidi and Dimitri stir up some heat, though I dont know how many times he can land in the bottom 3 without going home.

Dimitri and Ashlee and Natalie and Musa's routines were totally flat. It's like they weren't really finished or something. I was very disappointed because I have been waiting for weeks for Musa to do a routine like that, and then it looks like they just made it up on the spot. So disappointing.

I never really felt Allison and Ivan before, but they were really exceptional this week. Nothing to cry over, but still a real joy to watch. Ivan shocked the hell out of me with that performance. I thought he needed to go for awhile now, but ummm, maybe not.

Benji and Donyelle were also fabulous, as usual. I am going to be so sad when they break up the couples. I need my weekly Benji and Donyelle like I need my morning coffee.

Goldberg74
07-13-06, 08:42 AM
Allison/Ivan and Donyelle/Benji are unstoppable... I too will be sad to see them split up next week. Once that happens all of the others will slowly slide away and in the end Benji, Allison and Donyelle will be left standing.

But there can be only one...

zuffy
07-13-06, 10:42 AM
I never really felt Allison and Ivan before, but they were really exceptional this week. Nothing to cry over, but still a real joy to watch. Ivan shocked the hell out of me with that performance. I thought he needed to go for awhile now, but ummm, maybe not.

Same here, I wanted Ivan gone when he at the bottom 3 but last night performance was excellent, especially Allison :drool:

fujishig
07-13-06, 01:36 PM
I was surprised at all the love for Benji and Donyelle... I thought it was good, but for the judges to fawn over both of them like that... wow.

I also thought it interesting that pretty much all three judges ripped Dan's arrangement for Dmitri/Ashley, and then Kat even asked the question directly... it was instantly deflected by Brian, but I liked that she didn't just let it slide. I wonder if it was just backlash against the whole "pop is watered down hiphop with some jazz" or what. I've never seen them crucify a routine like that before...

DRG
07-13-06, 02:12 PM
Natalie/Musa was a disappointment. Flashes of brilliance in Musa, but the routine was really weak IMO. Natalie had little to do but shake her ass, which I like - don't get me wrong. :) But there just was not a big wow there. The whole thing felt like a contemporary routine with hip hop moves. The synchronized moves were not good at all.

Heidi/Ryan I enjoyed. Probably my third favorite of the night. I love Heidi in these sorts of styles. Ryan was decent in the support role here.

Ivan/Allison was fantastic. I'm not a big fan of contemporary, but that was captivating.

Ashlee/Dmitri had a terible routine. Dmitri just looks lost in these styles. Ashlee hits the moves well, but I don't feel any life in it.

Travis/Martha... not bad really, but these two just haven't excited me since the first week. I can't really explain why. Maybe their personalities are being overshadowed, I don't know.

Benji/Donyelle was a lot of fun. Sure, it was a bit corny but that's the style. Their energy is infectious.

As for who's going home? I imagine for the girls, Ashlee is the likely target. It's actually tough to come up with a second choice. Heidi always brings it in the do or die spots, she caried them last night, and her personality is great so I 'd be surprised if they got rid of her. For the guys Dmitri is another big target, with Ryan as a possible second. I suppose Travis and Martha could be targets if they are in the bottom three and do poorly on the individual dances, simply because they seem to be backsliding a bit where the others have been improving week-to-week.

zuffy
07-13-06, 04:50 PM
I also thought it interesting that pretty much all three judges ripped Dan's arrangement for Dmitri/Ashley, and then Kat even asked the question directly... it was instantly deflected by Brian, but I liked that she didn't just let it slide. I wonder if it was just backlash against the whole "pop is watered down hiphop with some jazz" or what. I've never seen them crucify a routine like that before...

All of Dan's arrangements suck. I was glad Blake from last season said Dan is overrated.

magiccmom
07-13-06, 06:05 PM
I agree that choreography was a little weak, but sometimes you gotta choreograph to your dancer, and he had a ballroom/popper combo. Didnt have much to work with.

zuffy
07-13-06, 07:49 PM
Look at all the choreographies that Dan taught in season 1, they suck just like in season 2. Brian Freeman does a much better job.

onebyone
07-13-06, 09:11 PM
I wasn't prepared for my Musa to go. I was so convinced he saved himself with that solo, and then he goes regardless. I thought for sure it would be Dmitry, because you don't end up in the bottom that many times by no fault of your own, but no. It's my Musa. Add that to the fact Benji and Donyelle is forced to break up next week and I am just not happy at all.

Of course, I will be tuning in next week, but until then... meh.

zuffy
07-14-06, 09:51 AM
I was really surprised it was a unanimous decision to let Musa go. I swear it would be Dimitri. Musa is like a better version of last season's Jamal imo. Are the judges afraid that if they don't let Musa go, his fan base might actually make him the winner of season 2?

Goldberg74
07-14-06, 10:01 AM
The guy'w will be eliminated as follows...

Dimitri
Ryan
Travis
Ivan
... leaving Benji in the top 2.

Gals will go in this order...

Martha
Heidi
Natalie
Donyelle
... leaving Allison in the top 2.

And we'll have Allison v. Benji (or Donyelle v. Benji).

Either way, these last 4 weeks are going to be great.

DRG
07-14-06, 10:04 AM
While I didn't think Musa should go, I understood it from a show perspective. He's one of those dancers who is so dynamic in the individual dances, and his style is so flashy, that he could probably cruise through to victory (or at least the end) now that the voting is based on individual votes... despite whatever he does in the other styles. This was the judge' last opportunity to shape the show, for better of worse. They probably figure Dmitri will leave based on audience vote anyway.

DRG
07-14-06, 10:17 AM

Dimitri
Ryan
Travis
Ivan

Martha
Heidi
Natalie
Donyelle

And we'll have Allison v. Benji (or Donyelle v. Benji).

Either way, these last 4 weeks are going to be great.

I agree with a lot of these. I think its possible Ryan could go before Dimitri, as Ryan's been sort of piggybacking a bit off Heidi's likability IMO. Donyelle is a question mark depending on her injury, although that would likely be only if she had to drop out as I think she'd get audience votes either way. All in all pretty solid predictions.

magiccmom
07-14-06, 11:12 AM
So glad Travis was in the bottom 3 this week. The only reason being is so we could see his amazing solo, his passion for his dance, and the fact he belongs with Benji battling for the final 2 male dancers.

Allison is amazing and will be in the final 2 female dancers, but I think Natalie could battle Donelle for the other spot. It will be interesting to see how Donelle does on her own.

We are gonna see some amazing dancers!

Ginwen
07-14-06, 11:15 AM
While I didn't think Musa should go, I understood it from a show perspective. He's one of those dancers who is so dynamic in the individual dances, and his style is so flashy, that he could probably cruise through to victory (or at least the end) now that the voting is based on individual votes... despite whatever he does in the other styles. This was the judge' last opportunity to shape the show, for better of worse. They probably figure Dmitri will leave based on audience vote anyway.
I thought (other than this week actually) Musa was terrible, so I was glad to see him go (although I expected it to be Dimitri). Ashlee was a pretty obvious choice.

Now that they are switching partners, Heidi has a 60% of getting a partner she's danced with before-she danced with Ryan on the show and Benji in West Coast Swing Competitions (where they've won the US Open a bunch of times), and she's also been dancing for a while with Dimitri in Latin Dancing competitions.

gryffinmaster
07-14-06, 11:24 AM

Dimitri
Ryan
Travis
Ivan

Martha
Heidi
Natalie
Donyelle

Agreed, just about 100%.

It'll be close between whether Benji or Ivan hold more of the public's support, however. I still think Travis has the most fervor behind his talent, which REALLY shows through in his solos. Travis just needs to work on his adaptability to the other styles.

Allison ... :up::up: [/season]

onebyone
07-14-06, 12:05 PM

After rewatching the show, that is what I think too. Dmitry is no better outside of his area of expertise than Musa is. With the format change next week, I doubt they thought they would get ever get rid of Musa so this was their last chance. Dmitry gets his mail forwarded to the bottom three so I can't imagine they are too worried he is going to win, although Mary probably wouldn't mind.

That said, I can't wait to see the crazy amount of dancing next week, although I know I am going to miss Musa. I hope Donyelle is going to be ok. She's so good and deserves to fight for the title.

fujishig
07-14-06, 01:27 PM
I was really surprised it was a unanimous decision to let Musa go. I swear it would be Dimitri. Musa is like a better version of last season's Jamal imo. Are the judges afraid that if they don't let Musa go, his fan base might actually make him the winner of season 2?

Wasn't the guy's name Jamile? And he made it to the final three pretty much on popularity alone, so I could see why the judges would want to curtail that while they still could.

zuffy
07-14-06, 09:22 PM
Guess I wasn't the only one thinking alone the same line regarding Musa's departure.

Original Desmond
07-16-06, 05:04 AM
Yes obviously the judges have a very slight biased against street dancers, not a lot but i saw the same thing last year.

But Natalie and Musa were in the bottom 3 voted by the public ! so that says something.

Last year i thought Ryan would get to the end based on popularity alone but it didn't happen

im happy enough with the Top 10. I think one of the girls will win it this year.

and yeah Dan's choreography is crap (Blake got that right last year). Shane Sparks in comparison is a genius.

is Brian Friedman gay ? I've recently watched all of season 1 in a week and he's just too stylish to be straight !

30 secs is too short for the solos 50 secs would be better

Great show and am looking forward to the triple performances.

zuffy
07-17-06, 09:31 AM
I agree, Brian Friedman is too stylish to be straight. I agree on the solo dance too. 30 seconds is too short, give the dancers 60 seconds instead of wasting that valuable time on teasing America with whom on the bottom 3.

magiccmom
07-17-06, 10:38 AM
It's hard to actually have a choreographed dance in 30 seconds...you just throwing all your tricks in there...60 seconds will give more flow and feeling.

Tommy Ceez
07-17-06, 03:17 PM
is Brian Friedman gay ? I've recently watched all of season 1 in a week and he's just too stylish to be straight !

The fact that you even ask this shows that your gaydar is totaled, and you need to contact the insurance company

chowderhead
07-17-06, 03:51 PM
I watch this show off an on. I believe, that if the judges are allowed to select who leaves after the public votes, then the judges shouldn't be choreographing any dances throughout the season. I know they don't judge the week they choreograph a team but I am sure by working with the teams, they develop favorites. Anyway, I cannot believe that dorky Benji is so popular.

Tommy Ceez
07-17-06, 06:50 PM
I watch this show off an on. I believe, that if the judges are allowed to select who leaves after the public votes, then the judges shouldn't be choreographing any dances throughout the season. I know they don't judge the week they choreograph a team but I am sure by working with the teams, they develop favorites. Anyway, I cannot believe that dorky Benji is so popular.
The thought that the judges are actually collaborating on the decisions, and its not 100% Nigel is patently ludicris

fujishig
07-17-06, 07:01 PM
The thought that the judges are actually collaborating on the decisions, and its not 100% Nigel is patently ludicris

After last week, though, it doesn't really matter.

I was disappointed by Musa leaving, especially because he was particularly strong last week, and it was the first time they landed in the bottom 3... but I didn't see him winning and dancing with Celine anyway. Same for Ivan (who I thought deserved the boot in week 1).

Original Desmond
07-18-06, 02:09 AM
The whole reversal from last season (last season was judges pick bottom three but public votes dancers out), this season public picks bottom 3 and judges choose which dancers go out was to keep the more talented dancers in the comp longer instead of just the popular ones.

Both methods get to the point where the public takes over 100% so i think it's cool.

I prefer this season's way of elimination over last year's for sure.

zuffy
07-19-06, 09:56 PM
Heidi and Travis' couple and solo dances are the best tonight. I think Martha is the weakest link among the females. Dimitri needs to go. Quit showing off your chest to get more vote.

onebyone
07-20-06, 12:27 AM
Benji and Donyelle seemed kind off without each other, but Benji still came through. He wasn't as good as he was with Donyelle, but he was still pretty damn good. Donyelle didn't seem all that to me tonight, and she seemed completely unappealing to me. Of course, that could be because she was so close to Dmitry the karma killer. I can't stand him.

Martha really did the worst job with the partner switch. She was completely lost the whole show and is so going home tomorrow. The biggest surprise though was Heidi and Travis. They were fantastic on both routines. I especially loved their second routine. It like really touched me. How utterly embarrassing. I am voting for Benji and those two tonight. For Heidi and Travis to get my votes this late in the game took some doing, but they were bloody wonderful.

magiccmom
07-20-06, 04:13 PM
Goodbye Ryan and Martha....You both are good technical dancers but can't make a connection with the audience.

I thought when Donyelle started to dance without Benji she wouldnt be as good, and I think I was right.

I love Benji and Allison, but to me...Natalie and Travis pulled dead even...Travis is amazing..technically and emotionally...same with Natalie...It will be a tough call at the end..

magiccmom
07-20-06, 04:23 PM
oh and those two hip hop judges are HORRIBLE...it takes two of them to complete one sentence...all they did was repeat what Nigel said...it was a joke.

zuffy
07-20-06, 05:11 PM
Just remember, I picked Travis to win because of his similarity to Nick from last year :D

IMO, all the judges suck except Nigel. He is the Simon Cowell of SYTYCD.

fujishig
07-20-06, 06:41 PM
I don't know much about dancing, but I always though Mary, Brian, Dan, and the blond contemporary judge were pretty good... they at least give criticism, and aren't afraid to disagree with each other.

onebyone
07-20-06, 09:12 PM
Without the judges there to save his ass, it didn't take long for Dmitry to get voted off. Excellent. Now maybe I can get through an episode without wanting to shoot out my TV.

zuffy
07-20-06, 09:58 PM
I don't think the judges ever saved Dimitri's ass. They obviously knew America would not vote for him, that is why they let Musa go first because Musa has a bigger fan group.

onebyone
07-20-06, 10:15 PM
I don't think the judges ever saved Dimitri's ass. They obviously knew America would not vote for him, that is why they let Musa go first because Musa has a bigger fan group.

I see that as saving his ass... if only for a brief period of time.

I loved tonight's opening dance. I have watched it like 8 times since the show ended. What fun.

zuffy
07-20-06, 10:31 PM
Techinically, yes that saved his ass for a brief moment. The inevitable is gonna happen sooner or later anyway. Ryan would probably have been gone instead of Musa this week if they let Dimitri go last week.

Goldberg74
07-20-06, 10:37 PM
I loved tonight's opening dance. I have watched it like 8 times since the show ended. What fun.
I wonder why Natalie sat out of the opening number.

The opening number was great. Good to see Wade Robson get work again. ;)

:wave: Martha and Mr. No-Shirt.

magiccmom
07-21-06, 12:23 AM
Natalies leg is wrapped...I think she is just saving her dancing for when she needs it..Unfortuantly she had to dance tonight...but probably doesnt want to do more damage to it if she doesnt need to. The girls depth of talent is so deep now, it is going to be really hard!

Wade Robinson had a reality show of dancing a few years back...anybody remember it?

Goldberg74
07-21-06, 08:19 AM
Wade Robinson had a reality show of dancing a few years back...anybody remember it?
Yup... "The Wade Robson Project (http://www.mtv.com/onair/wade_robson/season1/index.jhtml)" aired on MTV for a season in 2003. It was a pretty decent show.

WarriorPrincess
07-21-06, 05:43 PM
Me too. :) I haven't deleted it yet off my tivo because every time I go to watch something new I watch the opening dance first. :) Love the song, love the choreography. To me, THAT's what "pop" dancing should be. Fun and utterly engaging. I love how they all really played their characters.

I was wondering why Natalie sat out too...didn't see her leg wrapped.

magiccmom
07-21-06, 06:07 PM
I DVR'd the dance with Ivan and Allison "Why" last week and it auto erased!! I'm soooo pissed. That dance was a keeper along with this weeks Travis & Martha contemporary dance with the bench.

Kind of wished we got to see Heidi and Dimitri dance together. That would have been awesome!

magiccmom
07-21-06, 06:09 PM
Me too. :) I haven't deleted it yet off my tivo because every time I go to watch something new I watch the opening dance first. :) Love the song, love the choreography. To me, THAT's what "pop" dancing should be. Fun and utterly engaging. I love how they all really played their characters.

I was wondering why Natalie sat out too...didn't see her leg wrapped.
It was wrapped Wed. night for her solo...it was an Ace bandage, flesh colored, down on her calf. Didnt see if she still had it on for Thurs. elimination though.

Tommy Ceez
07-21-06, 08:18 PM
It was wrapped Wed. night for her solo...it was an Ace bandage, flesh colored, down on her calf. Didnt see if she still had it on for Thurs. elimination though.
When she danced Thurs she had the small Ace, when she came out for the final decision she had on a HUGE bandage, with a small ice pack wraped up just below her knee

Goldberg74
07-26-06, 10:14 PM
Wow!

We knew it had to happen sometime, and with Benji and Heidi dancing tonight... they were near perfect.

Donyelle back slid a bit tonight due to being partnered with Travis, but both are still strong.

Ryan will be gone tomorrow and methinks Natalie will join him. She dance with the knee bandage tonight and looked like she was holding something back.

Ivan and Allison (partners for the first 5 weeks) were partnered again and did a great Hip-Hop routine, but I didn't care for the other one.

:wave: to Natalie and Ryan tomorrow night... and we get a special performance by Busta Rhymes. :rolleyes:

magiccmom
07-26-06, 10:50 PM
Wow, Benji and Heidi were just amazing in both numbers. Didnt like Heidi in the beginning, but she has really grown on me. Never saw a choreographer stand up and give them Props like Tice did to them tonight.

I would have loved to see Allison dance with Travis. That would be amazing. I liked the hip hop routine...I've seen that done before like 5 years ago in a competition, so the dancing with masks have been around for a while. I think it is creative and added to the dance. To be fair, I think Donyelle was just as bad as Travis in the quick step. I didnt like it, but I dont think they are going home.

It's hard to watch Ryan get ripped every week. He needs to go home, and I think he will. Natalie is an amazing dancer and I think she has more versatility and technique than Donyelle and would love for her to stay....

Ivan and Allison are so hot together. That tango was amazing, and their hip hop was really smooth. They both should be safe tonight.

After Ryan goes, its really going to be hard from now on. I enjoy all the dancers that are left and think that they are all brilliant in their fields. I hope Allison will be the last one standing, but it will be hard to beat Benji.

I would love to see this on tour~!

onebyone
07-27-06, 01:33 AM
I enjoyed all of the dances tonight, save both of Natalie and Ryan's numbers (the first was horrible, the second was just ok) and that god awful quickstep (the worst of the night.) They both stunk up the quickstep. It was bad. They looked horrible and were miles behind the music. Ugh.

I did enjoy Benji and Heidi's routines the most because, well, they were amazing, but that doesn't mean the others weren't great. I loved Travis and Donyelle's hip hop, and really loved Ivan and Allison's tango yet again. It seemed odd that they were paired together and got that again, but I enjoyed it so it's all good.

If anyone knows the music from the first mask hip hop routing and the last dance of the night, please share. I didn't catch who sang those and I messed up my tivo and I need them terribly.

mdc3000
07-27-06, 09:48 AM
The mask routine was "London Bridge" by Fergie. Anyhow, a pretty great show last night, with Benji and Heidi stealing the show. This competition is theirs to lose overall IMO. They've been crowd favourites, but they keep delivering and outdoing everyone else...but it's getting tough, because every dancer is so good...the only one I don't like is Ryan...he's going home for sure.

I'd rather see Allison or Donyelle go home tonight instead of Natalie, but I feel she just doesn't have the presence these two have, therefore will probably get less votes. It's getting interesting, that's for sure!

MATT

onebyone
07-27-06, 12:10 PM
The mask routine was "London Bridge" by Fergie.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. And thank you.

I too think tonight is going to be Ryan and likely Natalie. If there is going to be a shocker, it will be on the girls side, and it won't be Heidi. Donyelle had a bad night with that quickstep, she may be at risk, despite being very popular.

In other news, I just read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benji_Schwimmer) about Benji being the cousin of David Schwimmer from friends, and that made me laugh and laugh.

DRG
07-27-06, 04:47 PM
Video of Benji & Heidi's routine at the Showcase Division 2005 US Open Swing Dance Championships
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0GzFJGxno

gryffinmaster
07-27-06, 09:03 PM
Tonight's outed guy? Ryan. Makes sense.

Tonight's outed girl? ALLISON? [EDIT to complete my statement: The only reason she left is because people just didn't vote. She was, by far, the absolute best.

COMPLETELY did not see that coming. Next week will not be as enjoyable of a week. Haven't a clue who the front-runner is now, really.

magiccmom
07-27-06, 09:15 PM
Seriously, I just have to rant now... Ryan deserved to go...great technical dancer, but he just didnt connect...but Allison? She was the most perfect in all her numbers..Not only did she not deserve to go home but she deserved to be in the final 2...What is up with you America? Donellye is a great personality, but she could not have danced those solos that Allison and Natalie did. And those are the numbers that will be in the Celine show. Same with Ivan, great personality, has come so far in his dance, but he could not hold a candle to Travis. I know dance is subjective, but I really hate getting this invested in a show and have people vote because a guy is cute or the girl isnt built like a dancer so she should stay...I have been around dance for a very long time, and Allison shoud not have gone home and Travis should not have even been in the bottom 2. Its not like I even just like the jazz dancers...I think Heidi and Benji are amazing and if they win, I think they each would deserve it. Allison going home this week was just wrong.

onebyone
07-27-06, 09:30 PM
I agreed with the results on the male side. Travis is usually better than Ivan, but I don't think he was.... last night. Last night is what matters to most folks. That quickstep was even worse than the judges said it was, and I can't see casual fans picking up the phone for that. Besides, I think out of that pairing, folks were more concerned with saving Donyelle than poor Travis. In the end, Ryan is the one that got the boot, and that's completely the right result.

The girls side did shock the hell out of me. She's not my favorite, but I think Allison is consistently better than Donyelle and Natalie and was much, much better than they were last night. This is especially true of Donyelle, who stunk up the joint two weeks running. Whatever people are seeing in her, I am just not seeing anymore. I used to, but it's gone daddy gone, the love has gone away.

zuffy
07-27-06, 09:34 PM
Man, my cutie Allison is gone :( I like Donyelle but I feel she is the weakest of the 4 girls and she should have been gone first.

Goldberg74
07-28-06, 12:00 AM
Missed the show tonight (took my dad to dinner for his b-day)... but I must say that I am shocked to see Allison go.

Heidi is my female front runner now.

... but Benji will win.

Gasspasser
07-28-06, 09:25 AM
Hell yeah, we were way shocked to see allison go. But I guess thats the way things go when people dont vote. Just wondering, do you guys vote? I dont. So I guess I cant complain too much.

Also, think something was going on between travis and allison? Sure looked like it to me.

DRG
07-28-06, 09:50 AM
Also, think something was going on between travis and allison? Sure looked like it to me.

I saw it too. Not only did she dance around him in her final dance, but she immediately ran to him when everyone got together at the very end. PLus he was very broken up, much more than with anyone else who has left.

Allison was in a tough spot this week. She did a great job, but it wasn't one of those WOW performances that really motivates you to pick up the phone. Also since Donyelle and Natalie had more problems in their routines, there was a false feeling of "She's safe, don't need to bother voting". I think she was the second best girl this week behind Heidi. But Donyelle's and Natalie's fans must have sensed their girls were in danger and upped the voting. Too bad, I think Allison not only has great variety and quality of skill, but she's always been one of the sexiest on the show in her body movement IMO.

zuffy
07-28-06, 09:58 AM
Hell yeah, we were way shocked to see allison go. But I guess thats the way things go when people dont vote. Just wondering, do you guys vote? I dont. So I guess I cant complain too much.

You're right, can't complain too much since I didn't pick up the phone to vote.

I thought Tavis was gonna go out there and dance with Allison.

Ginwen
07-28-06, 12:37 PM
I was really surprised to see Allison go. I figured Donyelle and Natalie would be the bottom 2, since they were (IMO) the two worst. When it was Natalie and Allison I assumed Natalie was gone. I'm not sure who's the favorite now amongst the women (the guys I assume Benji), but it seems to me that their actual performances don't have much to do with it, since their is just no way that Allison was the worst this week (and she has been good throughout, so it's not like this week was a fluke). I guess maybe Donyelle since she gets votes no matter how she dances.

I voted for the first time this week (just once) for Heidi. I figure she hasn't been that popular and it was going to be annoying if she got voted off when she did the best job this week of the girls, so got my vote in--I guess I should've voted for Allison, but I never thought she'd be in danger.

Tommy Ceez
07-28-06, 10:32 PM
If Travis is'nt completly gay, Im turning in my gaydar.

atari2600
07-28-06, 10:34 PM
arent they all gay?

Original Desmond
07-30-06, 06:16 AM
I was surprised Donelle wasn't in the bottom 2, oh well there are a lot of black women out there voting

Ivan and Benji seem to be the most popular with the public.

My pick is Benji for the title

Original Desmond
07-30-06, 06:18 AM
i miss Brian Friedman as a judge, he's the style master

and let's not have those hip hop girl judges on the show again

magiccmom
07-30-06, 08:17 AM
Donyelle got a lot of promotion dancing with Benji..she doesnt do as well without his energy, but that momentum is going to carry her I believe.
I laugh at those hip hop judges, cuz it takes two of them to equal one person..and two of them to complete one sentence.
I still cant believe Allison is gone.

Original Desmond
07-30-06, 07:29 PM
You know when the judges ripped into Natalie and Ryan's Disco routine, you could see the choreographer Dorese or something really cringe

Disco is supposed to be cheesy so it is hard to pull off

DRG
07-31-06, 10:58 AM
You know when the judges ripped into Natalie and Ryan's Disco routine, you could see the choreographer Dorese or something really cringe

Disco is supposed to be cheesy so it is hard to pull off

To me the problem with that routine was that it was flat, joyless. Which is the kiss of death in a disco routine. Disco is over-the-top and filled with energy. I thought this routine was weak in the same way Stacy & Tony's disco routine in the Dancing with the Stars finale was weak. They hit the movies, but it just wasn't fun.

Goldberg74
08-02-06, 11:54 PM
Donyelle looks like she's given up. She knows that she's not going to win... I think that Ivan feels the same way.

I loved Heidi & Travis' routine that Wade Robson made for them. They were the best couple of the night.

Methinks that it's going to boil down to Cousin v. Cousin and were gonna get Heidi v. Benji.

I can go for that.

onebyone
08-03-06, 12:21 AM
Methinks that it's going to boil down to Cousin v. Cousin and were gonna get Heidi v. Benji.

I can go for that.

I can so go for that too. I am really proud of Heidi because, since she got rid of Ryan, she has just taken off. If she and Travis had been together from the start, lord knows how good they would both be now.

I think Travis and Heidi were the best too, although I still love Benji the most and voted for him mostly. Watching him dance makes me happy. I do think Natalie and Ivan's contemporary wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews, but they were both clearly below the other couples. They should go. Will they? **Shrug**

Donyelle did seem like she had given up, and it was uncalled for, since she was back with Benji and had 2 great routines. There is no excuse in that first routine they had not killing.

magiccmom
08-03-06, 08:40 AM
Donyelle cant bring her level of dance up any further. I think she has reached her peak. I have noticed her solo doing a lot of jerky motions that look the same. She did look defeated after her solo, but it was not a very good solo, so she probably knows that. The judges seem to really want Natalie and IVan gone now. I personally think Natalie should stay over Donelle...Mia Michaels was right on about her "dance face". It's too fake.
Travis is amazing. I would love for him to take it all, and I hope that more votes go towards him at the end.
The personal preference with Travis is that he dances with so much emotion and passion and is technically brilliant. Benji dances with so much excitement and joy. THey are both amazing and deserve to win. It's personal preference to which style you enjoy.
Do they need to have one girl and one guy at the end? Or can the finals be Travis and Benji? When it gets to the final 4, they should forgo the male/female thing and just vote best dancer.
Heidi is my favorite female dancer also.

tbird2340
08-03-06, 10:09 AM
I can't stand Natalie and hope she gets the boot.. Like the last judge said.. She's fake AND ANNOYING.

How bout that last judge making that comment about Donyelle's butt? I mean.. Can you get any ruder?

First, Simon mentions how she struggles w/ her weight then this lady flat out tells her "your butt is big".

Gasspasser
08-03-06, 10:38 AM
When it gets to the final 4, they should forgo the male/female thing and just vote best dancer.

They have not been voting for couples for the past couple weeks, just the individual.

I kind of wish that they got rid of the bottom two people not the guy and girl. But then it would be uneven I guess.

magiccmom
08-03-06, 11:11 AM
They have not been voting for couples for the past couple weeks, just the individual.

I kind of wish that they got rid of the bottom two people not the guy and girl. But then it would be uneven I guess.
Yeah, I know they have been voting individual, but if a guy gets more votes than a girl, but less votes than another guy, he still goes. I wonder when they will forgo the partner dancing and just do solos, and if they will take it to the end best 2 dancers. Last year they went with the final female, final male...Probably will do the same thing this year also.

Gasspasser
08-03-06, 02:57 PM
Oh IC, that would be cool.

magiccmom
08-03-06, 10:02 PM
I'm really really hoping that somehow the final 2 dancers will be Travis/Benji. I think it is set for a female/male dance off and that wont be the best 2 dancers on the show.

Dont know what everyone is seeing in Donyelle. Mia Micheals said it best...she hit a platform and hasnt elevated her dance. What the hell kind of solo was that?????

zuffy
08-03-06, 10:05 PM
Travis vs Benji at the final would be friggin awesome. I have predicted Travis to win since day 1 so I hope I am right.

magiccmom
08-03-06, 10:15 PM
Travis vs Benji at the final would be friggin awesome. I have predicted Travis to win since day 1 so I hope I am right.
I really really want Travis to win too...but I think it will be hard to beat Benji. People get so caught up in his energy...I'm glad Mia Michaels pointed out that he is limited in his dancing...even though it doesnt matter when you perform like him. I'm hoping the Natalie/Ivan fans will pull for Travis.

Goldberg74
08-03-06, 11:14 PM
Yeah, well Mia Michaels has a big butt. ;)

I wouldn't mind if Travis, Benji or Heidi won the whole thing... Donyelle is out as far as I'm concerned.

onebyone
08-04-06, 01:36 AM
Natalie and Ivan were so great with their exits tonight I just wanted to hug them both. It was nice to see them both not being sad but celebrating getting as far as they have, because it really is something. A+++ on the exits.

As for next week, I am ok with Benji, Heidi, or Travis winning. They are all great for different reasons and very hard to root against. I will be voting my fingers off for Benji mind you, but if one of the other two got it, it wouldn't crush my world.

Hence, the winner will likely be Donyelle.

Travis is a clean and very good dancer. For whatever reason, he just never really truly clicks with me unless Heidi is around. Had they been together from the start, so much could have gone differently. As it is, I guess they are both peaking at the right time, so lord knows how it will all shake out. I can't wait until next week.

Gasspasser
08-04-06, 08:33 AM
Just think what it would have been like if Don had been voted off (like she should have been) instead of Allison? The four of them in the finals would have been great.

gryffinmaster
08-04-06, 10:56 AM
Wasn't able to catch it last night, but the two that were voted off do not surprise me. Donyelle has found a following, even though her skills have definitely weakened during the competition. Natalie's time had come - she's got great skills, but she does have to work on the faces. Ivan's terrific, but the fact of the matter is that Travis and Benji obliterate the stage when they get out there and, frankly, just kick a larger amount of ass.

It'd be just fine if Travis, Benji, or Heidi took home the crown - in that order.

DRG
08-04-06, 11:13 AM
I'm glad Mia Michaels pointed out that he is limited in his dancing...even though it doesnt matter when you perform like him.

My problem with that comment is that EVERYONE is limited in their dancing to some degree. To Mia, her specialty is contemporary so of course Travis and Natalie will seem to have fewer limitations than Benji or Heidi when it comes to doing what she wants. Likewise, to a swing/Latin coach Travis and Natalie may seem like the limited ones.

Dalvin
08-04-06, 11:44 AM
Natalie is so freakin' hot is not even funny. She looked so much like J.LO last night with the straight hair is wasn't even funny. I was really hoping Donyelle got the boot before her....but oh well. Her looks alone are enough for her to make alot of money. Hands down hottest looking woman in the competition.

Ginwen
08-04-06, 12:01 PM
My problem with that comment is that EVERYONE is limited in their dancing to some degree. To Mia, her specialty is contemporary so of course Travis and Natalie will seem to have fewer limitations than Benji or Heidi when it comes to doing what she wants. Likewise, to a swing/Latin coach Travis and Natalie may seem like the limited ones.
My thoughts exactly.

magiccmom
08-04-06, 12:37 PM
I guess I was thinking of the winner getting the Celine Dion show in Vegas. I actually know dancers in that troupe and they are all highly techical jazz/ballet/contemporary dancers. Mia Micheals choreographs for that show. I'm sure she (and I) is wondering what to do with a ballroom dancer for that show. Especially since they are not partnered. Guess that's the problem with offering that job as the prize. Ivan couldnt do it, and I'm guessing Benji might have a hard time with the side leaps, turns etc. that is required.

Doug Heffernan
08-04-06, 01:51 PM
:down: Donyelle being in the finals instead of Allison, I mean WTF? Seriously, WTF!!!!

:down: http://www.fox.com/dance/bios/images/mia_michaels.jpg Mia Michaels comments last night - come on lady, get off your high horse. If she was on every week, I don't think I'd be tuning in - I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather have the "two judges who repeat what Nigel says" than listen to the crap she was spewing last night. Notice she generally has only good things to say about lyrical dancers. Talk about a biased opinion. Bring Dan back!

:down: The reviews of Ivan and Natalie this week. I am not a "dance fan" and probably got sucked into this show due to summer programming and the fact my wife watches it - but at the risk of losing my "man card" the contemporary dance that they did last week actually almost brought me to tears - which is something I never thought two people dancing ever would do to me. The judges were just on the "Ivan and Natalie bashing train."
Yeah, Ivan needed to go, but Natalie is much better that Donyelle IMHO.

Sorry this is a :down: post - but after this week, I am not liking this show very much.

One more thing - I like Benji over Travis, here's why - and this is my "Average Joe" observation....

When Travis dances, its like, yeah, he's good, but he's good in a passionate/technical sort of way. He's a talented kid, no doubt.

When Benji dances, take the 30 second SYTYCD solo for instance, you just don't want him to stop because it makes you feel good to watch him. He's fun and entertaining - when he and Heidi dance you have a good time and wish you could bust that out at the next wedding you went to!

I think most average people could watch "The Swing Dance Championships" on TV for an hour, but not many people could sit through and hour of Lyrical dancing - I know I couldn't!

Just my 2 cents.

Patman
08-04-06, 01:52 PM
Natalie's got one of those gymnast bodies, I was thinking she was going to do multiple handstand flips in her solos at times. She is really pretty.

Dalvin
08-04-06, 02:19 PM
what was up with the kiss backstage that she(Natlaie) and Ivan did? Anything to that....

Question: "What famous TV actor does Travis Wall resemble immensely"

Let's see who will get this one first.

zuffy
08-04-06, 02:39 PM
Natalie is so freakin' hot is not even funny. She looked so much like J.LO last night with the straight hair is wasn't even funny. I was really hoping Donyelle got the boot before her....but oh well. Her looks alone are enough for her to make alot of money. Hands down hottest looking woman in the competition.

I think Natalie looks more like the better version of Brittany Murphy than JLo

gryffinmaster
08-04-06, 02:42 PM
:up: to Doug's post.

magiccmom
08-04-06, 03:02 PM
I think Natalie looks more like the better version of Brittany Murphy than JLo
Def. looks like Brittany Murphy. My daughter kept saying that every week!

zuffy
08-04-06, 03:04 PM
Def. looks like Brittany Murphy. My daughter kept saying that every week!

I hate Brittany Murphy but I like Natalie.

onebyone
08-04-06, 04:13 PM
:down: http://www.fox.com/dance/bios/images/mia_michaels.jpg Mia Michaels comments last night - come on lady, get off your high horse. If she was on every week, I don't think I'd be tuning in - I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather have the "two judges who repeat what Nigel says" than listen to the crap she was spewing last night. Notice she generally has only good things to say about lyrical dancers. Talk about a biased opinion. Bring Dan back!

I love her work and loved the opening number, but I really wanted to bitch slap her several times last night... especially when she just tore Heidi apart like there was no tomorrow. Christ. It was all the more strange because she was fawning over Heidi just the night before. Add that to her simple "I love you man" comment to Ivan who is perhaps the most limited of the dancers left (I liked him fine though) and it was just really hard to take her comments seriously. If she had been equally honest about everyone, maybe I wouldn't have minded, but as is, she seemed biased and just mean.

Original Desmond
08-05-06, 04:29 AM
Mia Michaels is such a cow ! she isn't that great

Bring back Dan and Brian

Benji will win i think or Travis

zuffy
08-05-06, 08:10 AM
Mia is a bias bitch. For the past few weeks, she and the other judges have been ripping Natalie a new hole. I think there is more going on in the background than what we see on TV.

magiccmom
08-05-06, 11:36 AM
what was up with the kiss backstage that she(Natlaie) and Ivan did? Anything to that....

Okay, I had no idea about this until I just caught "Ten Things I Hate About You" on TV and could it be that he looks like a young

HEATH LEDGER???

I'm thinking they look ALOT alike?
AM I RIGHT??

Dalvin
08-06-06, 11:54 AM
Sorry that was not the answer I was loking for. Think TV

magiccmom
08-06-06, 04:31 PM
Sorry that was not the answer I was loking for. Think TV
Maybe not, but the resemblance there is really uncanny!

Pezcore
08-07-06, 08:50 AM
Maybe not, but the resemblance there is really uncanny!

I think he strongly resembles Benjamin Mckenzie ( Ryan Atwood ) from The O.C. , just a little skinnier. Is this right?

ChefWinduAZ
08-07-06, 09:24 AM

He looks like that guy who played "Harper" on that show Andromeda with Kevin Sorbo.

Dalvin
08-07-06, 02:32 PM
Pezcore nailed it!!!!! First time I looked at him I thought, "WOW.....he looks so much like Ben McKenzie". Nice job!

magiccmom
08-07-06, 07:19 PM
Pezcore nailed it!!!!! First time I looked at him I thought, "WOW.....he looks so much like Ben McKenzie". Nice job!
Yeah, I'm not seeing that...:shrug:

Dalvin
08-07-06, 08:32 PM
Not seeing it? Hmmm......maybe you need to go here: http://www.globallaservision.com

magiccmom
08-08-06, 12:05 AM
Not seeing it? Hmmm......maybe you need to go here: http://www.globallaservision.com
Whoops, sorry, I read Travis, but I was thinking Ivan...my bad.

Dalvin
08-09-06, 07:51 PM
No worries...I was just kidding around with you.

Goldberg74
08-09-06, 10:55 PM
Good dancing all around tonight.

I know I said this last week, but either Travis, Benji or Heidi could win and I'd be fine with it.

That last routine (the Wade Robson one) was great. I agree with Nigel, that if they did a "Zoolander: The Musical", Benji could easily make it work.

The Contempory dance (Travis/Donyelle) and Salsa (Benji/Heidi) were the best of the night.

Benji's solo was the best.

I need to make an Animated GIF of Brian's "Mary Scream". That had me rotfl

... and I rewatched Benji and Heidi's final number over and over again. That last move was great!

Too bad we have to wait for next week. :down:

Goldberg74
08-09-06, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing that...:shrug:
I'm not seeing it either. Sorry Dalvin.

magiccmom
08-10-06, 06:12 AM
Wow, Great Finale. Travis and Benji are amazing to watch. Heidi is a great dancer. Some of those moves and lifts were insane! Donyelle looks defeated and joyless up there. She has the past few weeks.
The way Travis moves amazes me.
I loved, loved, loved that last number. My favorite choreographers have been Wade, Tice, and Mia.
I am really rooting for Travis...I know that dancing in Celine's show would be a dream come true for him. I hope he gets the chance. I think Benji might win, and I would be okay with that, but I can think that show is soo much more in Travis' element.
His dancing moves me.

zuffy
08-10-06, 10:12 AM
Wade's choreography just makes Dan, Shane, and a few other judges look like a joke. They should have gotten Wade at the beginning of season 2.

Travis stole the show as Brian Freeman say on that last dance routine. Dude was looking sharp and cool. Totally fit that character. IMO, I think Travis deserve to win this more than Benji. Benji is better fit for Hollywood or some other kind of entertainment. He is too charismatic to be wasted dancing for Celine.

magiccmom
08-10-06, 10:26 AM
Wade's choreography just makes Dan, Shane, and a few other judges look like a joke. They should have gotten Wade at the beginning of season 2.

Travis stole the show as Brian Freeman say on that last dance routine. Dude was looking sharp and cool. Totally fit that character. IMO, I think Travis deserve to win this more than Benji. Benji is better fit for Hollywood or some other kind of entertainment. He is too charismatic to be wasted dancing for Celine.
That's a really good point. Benji is a great dancer, but he is more a personality....He needs to be showcased more than being a back up dancer at a Vegas show. Travis on the other hand is a master technician of a dancer with passion and feeling, and that show would be the ultimate for a trained dancer. I hope America sees it that way!

RoboDad
08-10-06, 10:53 AM
Very interesting points. I think Benji, Travis and Heidi are all equally capable dancers (perhaps in different ways), but Benji has more personality than anyone else in the show -- maybe more than the others combined (with the possible exception of Heidi).

I would be happy with any of them winning, but it might serve Benji's career better if he doesnt win.

The thing I still can't figure out is how Donyelle made it to the finals. Allison and Natalie were far better dancers.

Dalvin
08-10-06, 11:16 AM
The dance with Heidi(who went to elementary school with me, I just found out) and Donyelle, that was suppose to be sexy, worked partly. Donyelle did not have me believing that one at all. I seriously think if you had paired Natalie with her in that particular number, it would have been HOT!!!!!!!

Dalvin
08-10-06, 11:17 AM
I also want to point out,that I really like Brian Freidman's comments. He really is very objective and when he does criticise, he does it in a very loving manner. If this guy were straight, he would have every woman knocking on his door.

magiccmom
08-10-06, 11:21 AM
The dance with Heidi(who went to elementary school with me, I just found out) and Donyelle, that was suppose to be sexy, worked partly. Donyelle did not have me believing that one at all. I seriously think if you had paired Natalie with her in that particular number, it would have been HOT!!!!!!!
AAAAAHHHH, can you just imagine the finale with Allison/Natalie in place of Donyelle. It would have been amaaaaaaazing. And because they werent, the waltz & girl duo numbers were average. And Travis' contempory number with Allison or Natalie would have been off the chart. I think the choreographers were limited working with Donyelle in that number. I feel ripped off!!!

onebyone
08-10-06, 11:50 AM
Despite the judges and I being way off a few times (that contemporary routine was boring as hell to me), I enjoyed the finale a lot. My highlight was the final group dance, even though I don't think Travis was any better than anyone else there. I loved that number though, it was fantastic. In the end when they were all pretending to have their picture taken, I felt so sad, "Can't they all win?" Also, Benji and Travis' dance together was a hoot. I was laughing and clapping and that was just a good time. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Both the dancers and Shane Sparks did great there. I voted plenty for Benji last night, but that dance is going to make it easier to swallow if Travis wins, as they are both fantastic. Benji is just more my cup of Starbucks.

The worst dances to me were all three partner dances with Donyelle. I really liked her earlier in the season, but she really just regressed. I too was wondering how some of those dances would have gone with a different girl up there - although I doubt anything would have made me like that contemporary number.

I hate that we have to wait until next week to know the winner. That's way too long for me. I am excited about seeing the other dancers return though. I want Musa! I want Musa!

I also want to point out,that I really like Brian Freidman's comments. He really is very objective and when he does criticise, he does it in a very loving manner. If this guy were straight, he would have every woman knocking on his door.

I really like him too. Even when he has a negative comment, he always seems like he is trying to help and never like he is just a mean bastard. I appreciate him.

RoboDad
08-10-06, 02:11 PM
The worst dances to me were all three partner dances with Donyelle. I really liked her earlier in the season, but she really just regressed. I too was wondering how some of those dances would have gone with a different girl up there - although I doubt anything would have made me like that contemporary number.
I used to like Donyelle more too, but the more I think about it, I think what I liked was the chemistry that Benji brought to their team. It seems that he may have made her a better partner when they were dancing. Last night, I just didn't enjoy any of her performances, especially the contemporary routine. She didn't have any fluidity in her movements, and she even lost her balance a couple of times.

Goldberg74
08-10-06, 07:55 PM
:(

The tour (http://www.fox.com/dance/showinfo/tour.htm) is not making any stops in Texas.

magiccmom
08-11-06, 09:25 AM
TICKETS FOR THE MIAMI TOUR SOLD OUT IN 4 MINUTES!!! But I got tickets....SOOOOO EXCITED!

zuffy
08-11-06, 09:30 AM
Too expensive for my blood.

onebyone
08-11-06, 12:21 PM
TICKETS FOR THE MIAMI TOUR SOLD OUT IN 4 MINUTES!!! But I got tickets....SOOOOO EXCITED!

I am so jealous. I wish it was coming anywhere near me. After the show, please come share your thoughts on it for us less fortunate fans.

magiccmom
08-11-06, 12:34 PM
I am so jealous. I wish it was coming anywhere near me. After the show, please come share your thoughts on it for us less fortunate fans.
What really pisses me off is that it sold out in 4 minutes but yet there are tons of tickets on Ebay already for more than 4x the original price. THere should be governing laws about that...but that is for another thread,another time.

And yes, I will share..I am so very excited to see some of those numbers LIVE and in person.
Just hope Cat doesnt show up there and speak!!!!

RoboDad
08-11-06, 01:51 PM
There are laws, but they vary from state to state, and some states have none at all.

What really bothers me is that there are so few stops west of St Louis (only 6???), and even many of those are on weekdays, which rules out making a weekend trip to a reasonably close-by performance.

seisui
08-11-06, 09:47 PM
How were you able to get tickets? I thought they won't go on sale until tomorrow?

magiccmom
08-12-06, 12:36 AM
How were you able to get tickets? I thought they won't go on sale until tomorrow?
Different states had different sale dates for some reason.

Original Desmond
08-13-06, 04:14 AM
Donelle is quite a few notches below the others

I want Benji to win because Travis is too similar to last year's winner

The group finale dance was mindblowing, awesome choreography. I didn't like Mary and Brian singling out Travis, not fair to sway the public that late in the program.

When Heidi and Benji dance together it's almost incestuous that they are cousins they are so hot together.

Ok guys, little task for you all, overall for the whole series, in what order would you rate the Choreographers, i mean all of them ??

Can someone list them all for starters ?

magiccmom
08-13-06, 11:25 AM
Okay here is a start although I dont know names...

(this isnt my list in order, this is just a choreographers list)

Tice
Dan Karaty
Brian Friedman
Shane Sparks
Mary Murphy
Mia Micheals
Doriana Sanchez -The Disco Lady
Ron Montez-The Latin Ballroom guy
The two Brooklyn Hip Hop girls
Wade Robson
Some Tall thin Blonde Waltz guy

Any others?

Original Desmond
08-13-06, 08:28 PM
My Top 5 would be

1) Shane Sparks
2) Wade Robson
3) Tice
4) Alex da silva
5) Brian Friedman

onebyone
08-13-06, 08:43 PM
My Top 5..

1. Alex Da Silva (I get so excited when I know he is doing a routine. I've loved them all.)
2. Shane Sparks
3. Wade Robson
4. Tyce
5. Mia Michaels (She bugs, but her work is good... save that Georgia on My Mind routine.)

Original Desmond
08-13-06, 08:59 PM
I edited mine to include Alex :)

magiccmom
08-13-06, 09:04 PM
Mine would be:
Wade
Tice
Mia
Brian
Ron

DRG
08-13-06, 11:06 PM
Okay here is a start although I dont know names...

(this isnt my list in order, this is just a choreographers list)

Tice
Dan Karaty
Brian Friedman
Shane Sparks
Mary Murphy
Mia Micheals
Doriana Sanchez -The Disco Lady
Ron Montez-The Latin Ballroom guy
The two Brooklyn Hip Hop girls
Wade Robson
Some Tall thin Blonde Waltz guy

Any others?

Although it was only a one-time deal IIRC, Lil C did chereograph a krumping number.

Original Desmond
08-14-06, 12:04 AM
The crumping was interesting but to me it's a 'one trick pony' kinda dance

Goldberg74
08-16-06, 08:09 PM
THE WINNER IS ANNOUNCED TONIGHT!

:banana:

GO BENJI! :banana:

GO TRAVIS! :banana:

GO HIEDI! :banana:

GO HOME DONYELLE :wave:

zuffy
08-16-06, 09:03 PM
Congrats to Benji! I'm a bit disappointed that Travis didn't win though

Gasspasser
08-16-06, 09:13 PM
Im glad that person won. As long as Donyelle didnt win I was happy.

Goldberg74
08-16-06, 09:54 PM
Congrats to the winner!

(Now if they'd only stop the tour in Texas!)

magiccmom
08-16-06, 11:40 PM
Awesome show this season...Can not wait to see it LIVE...(sorry Goldberg74). Very happy for Benji, but would have loved to have seen Travis win! Still think Benji belongs on broadway, not in the back at Celines Show. Oh well, they all had incredible talent.
Did I get that Natalie and Dimitri are together?
And what was up with the way they told Heidi and DOnyelle they didnt win? It came out of nowhere. Thought it was a pisspoor way to send them off..and then they make them come back and dance like 10 more times. Tacky.

onebyone
08-17-06, 12:30 AM
And what was up with the way they told Heidi and DOnyelle they didnt win? It came out of nowhere. Thought it was a pisspoor way to send them off..and then they make them come back and dance like 10 more times. Tacky.

I almost fell out of my chair when they gave Heidi the boot. It was so early and so quick and I didn't see it coming at all. I didn't like that at all.

As a Musa fan, I feel robbed. All I wanted was to see Natalie and Musa dance together again, and we get... Natalie and Dmitry? The hell? I don't care if they are dating - I wanted Natalie and Musa darn it. First we are robbed of Musa in the top 10, and now this. Grrr.

That said, I am very happy that Benji won. I totally did a Mary Murphy scream when that was announced I was so happy. I feared for him, as I am usually money at picking the second place finisher, but alas, Taylor Hicks seems to have changed my luck for now.

The show was kind of a mess tonight, but the positive comments they made towards Travis and Benji before they announced the winner made up for a lot. They are both great and should be proud of themselves, but alas, Yeah for Benji! He really was the star of this season for me, no matter how strong Travis came on at the end. I wish them both well though. This is very different from American Idol, where I usually want to bury one of the top two. All in all, this show was very positive, and I like that.

God I wish I could see this tour. Why do I have to live in the middle of nowhere? Why?

DRG
08-17-06, 08:50 AM

I agree. Poor Heidi had to dance again right afterwards. She was one of my favorites ever since the audition routine with Benji. I will say, it says a lot IMO that she danced in three of the four 'dancer's favorite' dances. The two best guys both essentially said she was their favorite partner.

And as much as I didn't think Donyelle deserved to be in the final four (either Alison or Natalie was more deserving) I was touched by her exit.

Did anything happen after Celine's video message to Benji? My DVR cut off at that point.

magiccmom
08-17-06, 09:01 AM
I agree. Poor Heidi had to dance again right afterwards. She was one of my favorites ever since the audition routine with Benji. I will say, it says a lot IMO that she danced in three of the four 'dancer's favorite' dances. The two best guys both essentially said she was their favorite partner.

And as much as I didn't think Donyelle deserved to be in the final four (either Alison or Natalie was more deserving) I was touched by her exit.

Did anything happen after Celine's video message to Benji? My DVR cut off at that point.
Nope, just the usual confetti and congrat hugs all around.

zuffy
08-17-06, 09:25 AM
Celine was live in the Deal or No Deal show, she should at least give a live congrats to Benji instead a pre-recorded video for someone that is gonna work for her.

atari2600
08-17-06, 04:26 PM
Awesome show this season...Can not wait to see it LIVE...(sorry Goldberg74). Very happy for Benji, but would have loved to have seen Travis win! Still think Benji belongs on broadway, not in the back at Celines Show. Oh well, they all had incredible talent.
Did I get that Natalie and Dimitri are together?

agreed. i thought the same thing. horrible move by fox.

Original Desmond
08-19-06, 09:01 AM
Really happy Benji won, so sure it was gonna be Travis

Yeah the way they handles Heidi and Donelle was shocking, very poor

The Top 4 really worked hard tonite with most of them choosing each other for their fav dances plus also being included in some of the judges routines

When the showed the show recaps, you do see how much worse than the Top 4 some of the others in the Top 20 are. E.g. all Ben can bloody do is spin !

The show has done a lot right but can be tweaked for next season