Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about new TV...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about new TV...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Question about new TV...

As some of you may know, from reading other threads in this forum, I recently got a new HDTV, the Westinghouse LVM-42w2. Upon connecting it to my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD cable box, via DVI, I received a message from the cable box, indicating that my TV didn't support HDCP, which it does, through both DVI and HDMI. So, I went and bought a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and connected the box to my monitor's HDMI port. It worked, and I was able to watch. After reading up on everything a little bit, I noticed that the specs for the TV mentioned connecting a 20-pin DVI cable; however, the DVI cable I used was an 18-pin. Could that be the reason for the problem I was experiencing? Or, could it just be that my cable box's DVI output is not "compatible" with my monitor's DVI? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-25-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably either the cable, you want a dual-link cable, or only the HDMI input is HDCP compatible. Specs can lie, but I'd guess the cable is the culprit.