Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Waiting for 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY SPECIAL EDITION

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting for 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY SPECIAL EDITION

Looking forward to this release. Wonder if new transfer will look alot better. Would be great to have lost footage that was cut soon after release.
Old 05-24-06, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is this supposed to come out. I had the urge to buy this a few weeks ago. I tried looking it up on DDD, but the only way to get it is by buying the Stanley Kubrick Collection.
Old 05-24-06, 11:08 PM

Warner Chat said that this is coming out as single edition sometime in the next few months.
Old 05-24-06, 11:40 PM
Banned

Nice! I can't believe I never bought the old version.
Old 05-25-06, 02:04 AM

I don't know how they could possibly improve the transfer from the 2000 edition. It looks incredible for a film that old.

I might get it if the features are there. I want at least 2 hours of documentaries. A commentary by Arthur C. Clark would be really nice.
Old 05-25-06, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by Sanitarium
I might get it if the features are there. I want at least 2 hours of documentaries. A commentary by Arthur C. Clark would be really nice.
An ACC commentary would be a dream supplement for me. (And, I hate to say this, but Clarke is getting up there in years so it's kind of "now or never.")
Old 05-25-06, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sanitarium
I don't know how they could possibly improve the transfer from the 2000 edition. It looks incredible for a film that old.

If I remember right, that transfer's got some really bad edge enhancement.
Old 05-25-06, 08:40 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
When is this supposed to come out?
I believe the quoted month was September.

Originally Posted by bis22
If I remember right, that transfer's got some really bad edge enhancement.
You may be remembering the non-anamorphic MGM release, which was riddled with edge enhancement, but though there is a measure of it on the Warner Bros. remaster, too, I wouldn't consider it "really bad" by any means...
Old 05-25-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly hope this and the upcoming The Shining SE makes their way to HD DVD. Since Full Metal Jacket just showed up, I expect these to follow this year.
Old 05-25-06, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

The previous transfer was from a 35mm reduction interpositive made from the original camera negative. Maybe this time around, Warner will transfer the 65mm negative itself or a 65mm interpositive, as they have done recently with Battle of the Bulge, Ryan's Daughter, etc, which both looked absolutely amazing.

As for extras, I am really expecting an all-new feature-length (60-120 minutes) documentary (not that crappy doc, hosted by James Cameron) and the absorbing 1967 behind-the-scenes promotion piece by MGM, which features footage of the rotating fuselage of The Discovery, etc. An in-depth, high-quality audio commentary (ie. not a Richard Schickelgruber "umm, ahh, I love that shot" yawn track) and other fascinating featurettes and as many trailers as possible.
Old 05-25-06, 09:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon McMurphy
The previous transfer was from a 35mm reduction interpositive made from the original camera negative. Maybe this time around, Warner will transfer the 65mm negative itself or a 65mm interpositive, as they have done recently with Battle of the Bulge, Ryan's Daughter, etc, which both looked absolutely amazing.
which in turn when and if these get released on HD-DVD should look incredible. 65mm on HiDef:
Old 05-25-06, 11:19 AM

So I guess Leon Vitali was being about as truthful as George Lucas, then, when he said that all cut scenes from Kubrick's films were thrown out, not saved? And that Kubrick wanted the films to stand by themselves?

Kubrick was excited about DVD. It's a damned shame he couldn't have released his movies in that medium as SEs the FIRST time, the way HE wanted to.

Don't mind the lament of a triple-dipper on 2001 and The Shining too much.

I just pray, against all odds, for an isolated score of the 1980 horror film. Getting very weary of only having that fantastic soundtrack on LP or with dialogue online.
Old 05-25-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeP
So I guess Leon Vitali was being about as truthful as George Lucas, then, when he said that all cut scenes from Kubrick's films were thrown out, not saved?
What are you basing this on?
Old 05-25-06, 02:34 PM

Vitali's statements to the trade press, including Film Score Monthly, through the release of the first two Stanley Kubrick Collections on DVD.
Old 05-25-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeP
Vitali's statements to the trade press, including Film Score Monthly, through the release of the first two Stanley Kubrick Collections on DVD.
No, I mean what makes you think he was wrong?

As I've heard the story told, Kubrick had a big bonfire and burned all of the deleted footage from 2001 because he didn't want anyone to ever see it. Of course, that could be a myth, but I don't see any notice that a new DVD will include this footage.
Old 05-25-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One feature I'd like to see is The Lost Worlds of 2001 -- this was a book Clarke wrote in the '70s detailing all the permutations the story took as he and Kubrick were developing. Even though I already own a copy, I think it'd be cool if Warners could include the book, either physically or as a DVD-ROM feature, or at least do a documentary covering the most interesting ideas that were discarded.
Old 05-25-06, 08:15 PM

I just bought the existing release on Tuesday, as I was tired of waiting. I suppose I should have done a litttle research first! Oh well, at least it was cheap.....
Old 05-25-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A Doug Trumbull commentary would be nice.

Now for the really important question.

How soon before 2001 makes it to BluRay and/or HD-DVD?
Old 05-25-06, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2
A Doug Trumbull commentary would be nice.

Now for the really important question.

How soon before 2001 makes it to BluRay and/or HD-DVD?
I think the idea was to release the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD versions along with the DVD editions. I could be wrong though. If there would be any move that would cause me to get in on the HD action it would be this movie.