Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are these bands any good?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-24-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only one I listen to on a regular basis is the Tragically Hip. Wondering if you can give me some good songs from these bands. Going to PEI for Canada Day weekend and these bands are playing. Thanks

Hedley
Theory of a Deadman
3 Days Grace
Tragically Hip
Sam Roberts Band
Matt Mays & El Torpedo
Old 05-24-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the song "Fireworks" from the Trag. Hip. Can't help you out with any of the others.
Old 05-24-06, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam Roberts and Matt Mays are both great. The first three aren't awful but they are nothing that special. The Hip always put on a good show.

You can listen to some of Matt Mays stuff New Music Canada. I'd check out Cocaine Cowgirl.
Old 05-24-06, 06:51 PM

Sam Roberts is amazing, but I'm not very familiar with the rest (sorry!)
Old 05-24-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
All of the Tragically Hip albums up to Phantom Power are excellent.
Old 05-25-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Three Days Grace has a new cd coming out in July....there single is suppose to be "Animal I have Become". On their previous release they had a lot of radioplay for "I hate everything about you" and "Just Like You"

Theory of a deadman is a straight rock/alternative band. I'm not sure about their new cd..never listened to it but I believe "No Surprise" was suppose to be the single. From their old cd, I really enjoyed "Make up your mind". But this band was co-produced by Chad Kroeger from Nickelback...so..take that for what it's worth.

Hedley...Pop-punk...nothing new....
Old 05-25-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Tragically Hip and Matt Mays
Old 05-25-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
All of the Tragically Hip albums up to Phantom Power are excellent.
And after Phantom Power, they are excellent too

I love the Hip, and sure they're stuff post PP has been a little different, but I find it just as good still. Music @ Work took me about 12 listens through to start to like, but now I really dig that album. And the newer works are decent too.

I suggest picking up the "Yer Favorites" CDs for a whirlwind tour of hip tunes.
Old 05-25-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts
I'm a huge fan of The Hip, and I like what I've heard out of Sam Roberts so far. There are no bad Hip albums, only albums that aren't as great as the previous one.

I imagine the size of the crowd (and venue) at Hip shows in Canada are insane compared to the shows here...I doubt they drew more than 500 people at Newport Music Hall in Columbus on the Music@Work tour.
Old 05-25-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Theory of a Dead Man is alright..I met them after the show, they always sign autographs....They are nothing special, but if you love that kind of music they are really good at it.
Old 05-26-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Their first three albums are the hip's best.

I like Cordelia a lot.
Old 05-26-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati
I'm a huge fan of The Hip, and I like what I've heard out of Sam Roberts so far. There are no bad Hip albums, only albums that aren't as great as the previous one.

I imagine the size of the crowd (and venue) at Hip shows in Canada are insane compared to the shows here...I doubt they drew more than 500 people at Newport Music Hall in Columbus on the Music@Work tour.
Yes, it's a very different vibe. I'm a Canuck and once got tickets for a show at the Saddledome in Calgary. I ended up with front row (got super lucky) and the show sold out within 30 minutes. I moved to the US after that and caught the hip at a club in Portland, OR....less than 500 people, and not sold out.
Old 05-27-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hedley - lead singer is Jacob Hoggard, who came third in the last Canadian Idol I think. Best known song is "On Our Own"

Theory of a Deadman - Chad Kroeger of Nickelback helped get them discovered. Not really my type of music. Not that familiar with them.

3 Days Grace - most popular song is "Everything About You". It hit the US Top 40 a year or two ago I believe.

Tragically Hip - Too many songs to mention, but my faves include 38 Years Old, New Orleans Is Sinking, Little Bones, Blow At High Dough, Wheat Kings, and Grace, Too.

Sam Roberts Band - Just released a new album that I haven't heard (Chemical City). Best known songs from their first CD were Don't Walk Away Eileen, Brother Down, and Where Have All The Good People Gone?

Matt Mays & El Torpedo - Pretty big here in Atlantic Canada, but I don't really know much about them
Old 05-28-06, 01:24 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Hedley / Theory of a Deadman / 3 Days Grace are all pretty standard radio-rock. You'll like 3DG if you like Finger Eleven, you'll like Theory if you like Nickelback/Default, and you'll like Hedley if you like other pop-punk like Blink 182.

Tragically Hip is pretty good, although I haven't really enjoyed their newest albums.
Sam Roberts puts on a good show. Definitely check them out if you can.
Matt Mays & El Torpedo are friggin' awesome. They put on a fantastic show. Cocaine Cowgirl and On The Hood are great songs, among all the others.