Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommend a 46"-52", $1800 or under...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-24-06, 01:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in a cheap (not great electric system in building) apt in Queens, 12' by 16' room..i have a limited budget and thought about a Toshiba 46H84 but they seem to be outdated and hard to come by, plus the whole short bulb life thing...now rear-projectors seem to be the way of the dodo...any recommendations for a guy on a budget??
Old 05-24-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~708345.asp

Saw that at Fatwallet, seemed like a good deal
Old 05-26-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This also seems like a good deal...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=S223-5014
Old 05-29-06, 04:38 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks !

I appreciate ur help very very much...that Samsung sounds great, I just saw it at Circuit City, too...I'll let u know what I decided.
Old 06-02-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI...this is not a true HDTV. Any Plasma less than 50 inches is not true HD. The TVs that are less than 50 inches are a few hundred thousand pixels short of being HD. Do a little research prior to buying to know more about this.
Old 06-02-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheKobra

FYI...this is not a true HDTV. Any Plasma less than 50 inches is not true HD. The TVs that are less than 50 inches are a few hundred thousand pixels short of being HD. Do a little research prior to buying to know more about this.
The Sammy has a res of 1024 x 768. 720p is 1280 x 720 = 921600. The Sammmy is 1024 x 768 = 786432.

I don't think I would say that the TV isn't a true HDTV. It accepts and displays 720p and 1080i, albeit with a bit of scaling. These tvs look great with HD material. Don't let the difference in pixels stop you.

For your budget, I'd probably buy the Samsung 50 inch DLP. It's not as thin as the plasma, but you will certainly appreciate the extra 8 inches of screen!
Old 06-02-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do we have to have this argument every single time?

I ALWAYS get flamed for this but I'll say it for the 1 zillion time: HD are just letters, that is it. You can argue all you want about this is "true" HD or this is only "ED" or whatever. Who cares. Do you enjoy the picture? If the answer is yes....well who cares.

Example, many who come and see a HD signal on my poor little non-HD X1 say something like "wow HD really looks good on a 94 screen"". I have heard it so much I stopped telling them my PJ is not HD. I enjoy the pq, they enjoy, what else matters?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a "true" HD PJ (and I have begun my preliminary researching). I'm not anti-HD. IMHO it is just not the end all be all of total PQ. Many report that a Panny ED plasma has a much better picture then some many of the off brand but "true" HD sets, yet the Panny is less money. There is more to total pq then HD.

Get what you like and enjoy it.
Old 06-02-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Do we have to have this argument every single time?

I ALWAYS get flamed for this but I'll say it for the 1 zillion time: HD are just letters, that is it. You can argue all you want about this is "true" HD or this is only "ED" or whatever. Who cares. Do you enjoy the picture? If the answer is yes....well who cares.

Example, many who come and see a HD signal on my poor little non-HD X1 say something like "wow HD really looks good on a 94 screen"". I have heard it so much I stopped telling them my PJ is not HD. I enjoy the pq, they enjoy, what else matters?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a "true" HD PJ (and I have begun my preliminary researching). I'm not anti-HD. IMHO it is just not the end all be all of total PQ. Many report that a Panny ED plasma has a much better picture then some many of the off brand but "true" HD sets, yet the Panny is less money. There is more to total pq then HD.

Get what you like and enjoy it.
Very well said. I would take a not-quite-HD Samsung plasma over a "true HD" off-brand plasma any day.
Old 06-03-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Very well said. I would take a not-quite-HD Samsung plasma over a "true HD" off-brand plasma any day.
Off brand plasma Maxent (made by Panasonic) hands down blows away the Samsung, that is in my own opinion. Now don't get me wrong the picture looks great but for the same price you can pickup a 50 inch rebadged Panasonic. Kinda like Dell LCD monitors and Samsung LCD monitors....exactly the same parts.
Old 06-03-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheKobra
Off brand plasma Maxent (made by Panasonic) hands down blows away the Samsung, that is in my own opinion. Now don't get me wrong the picture looks great but for the same price you can pickup a 50 inch rebadged Panasonic. Kinda like Dell LCD monitors and Samsung LCD monitors....exactly the same parts.
Perhaps...but the question becomes, is the Maxent (Panny) better then the Samsung because it is "true" HD or because of other issues (better black levels, better sharpness, better angle viewing, better in brighter light etc) that don't directly come from a few more lines of resolution?

My point is that you might be able to make the arguement that "all things being equal" HD will give you a better picture, but rarely if ever are all things equal. Other factors come into play and some non HD sets you may actually enjoy more then a HD set.
Old 06-03-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some of us require both.

Pioneer has declared that a 42" true HD plasma will be out this summer. They say it will be $10K. They went to great lengths to create this beast, lengthening each tiny tube so they could make them thinner to fit in 42".

My bro-in-law claims LG will also have them out this summer at far lower prices, perhaps even 1080 in 42" size. That's according to his rep. I told him they must have meant LCD or SED, but he assured me it was plasma. We'll see.
Old 06-03-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Some of us require both.

Pioneer has declared that a 42" true HD plasma will be out this summer. They say it will be $10K. They went to great lengths to create this beast, lengthening each tiny tube so they could make them thinner to fit in 42".

My bro-in-law claims LG will also have them out this summer at far lower prices, perhaps even 1080 in 42" size. That's according to his rep. I told him they must have meant LCD or SED, but he assured me it was plasma. We'll see.
Well, when I can get true HD on my cell phone then I'll be a happy camper
Old 06-04-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, when I can get true HD on my cell phone then I'll be a happy camper
Well www.Ampdmobile.com claims they will have an HD channel soon?!?! Sure they will!
Old 06-16-06, 12:43 AM

This also seems like a good deal...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=S223-5014
I got the Samsung HL-S5686W 56" from Best Buy for only a hundred bucks more. DLP is definitely the way to go. Got mine in time for the world cup.

Good luck!