Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dani California and Last Dance With Mary Jane

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check it out...the new RHCP's single sounds exactly like the Tom Petty song from 1993. Thoughts?

http://www.wgmd.com/SOUNDS/FEATURES/051706-petty.mp3

the action
Old 05-23-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Vocal version they use of Petty is obviously sped up so the beats match RHCP
Old 05-23-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sped up Tom Petty.

I'd say it is the same beat but the RHCP version is a bit faster
Old 05-24-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

sounds like a rip off to me..sped up or not.
Old 05-24-06, 12:27 AM

This is the third messageboard I've seen this topic on, and it's weeks after my boyfriend first pointed it out to me. Do people not hear copying until it's thrown in their face? Apparently. I wonder if the Chili Peppers will ever comment on it. I still wish Suicidal Tendencies would have sued Puddle of Mudd for "She Hates Me". Man I'm sleep deprived.

Last edited by SideShow; 05-24-06 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 12:39 AM

Last Dance with Mary Jane: Am - G - D
Dani California: Am - G - Dm (all barred chords)

To say the RHCP intentionally ripped off Tom Petty is pretty silly IMO. If you think he was the first to ever play that chord progression, then you'd be wrong.
Old 05-24-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SideShow
This is the third messageboard I've seen this topic on, and it's weeks after my boyfriend first pointed it out to me. Do people not hear copying until it's thrown in their face? Apparently. I wonder if the Chili Peppers will ever comment on it. I still wish Suicidal Tendencies would have sued Puddle of Mudd for "She Hates Me". Man I'm sleep deprived.
Is that the one that sounds like "I Saw Your Mommy"? 'Cause I remember hearing a song on the radio a couple of years ago and telling everybody what a straight rip-off it was.
Old 05-24-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually the chord sequence in Mary Jane's Last Dance was ripped off from a Jayhawks song Waiting for the Sun off their Hollywood Town Hall album. So actually this is the third time for that riff.
Old 05-24-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, those guys are pretty effing annoying.
Old 05-24-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think anyone is actually upset that the same three chords are used. It's a question of using the same chords to create the same melody. This is the basic idea of copyright violation. There must be 10,000 songs with a D-A-G or G-C-G-D progression, but most of them do not sound the same.
Old 05-24-06, 10:52 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, they are very similar. I didn't catch it right away, but it was bugging me that it reminded me of another song. Finally saw this on another forum and it clicked.

Kind of annoying, but I didn't care for the song that much anyway, not one of the top 10 on that album for sure.
Old 05-24-06, 11:18 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is the first thing I thought about when I read this thread. "Theirs goes, 'Ding ding ding dingy ding-ding.' Ours goes, 'Ding ding ding ding dingy ding-ding.'"
Old 05-24-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
What total dillholes on that program.

Anyway, the guy who said both songs were close to Sweet Home Alabama wasn't as crazy as sounded. The progression is also 1-7-4 (D, C, G), just like these two songs.

BTW - the co-host showed how musically ignorant he was by getting the chords wrong. Trust me, anyone who has played guitar for two minutes knows the proper chords in SHA.
Old 05-24-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Frusciante himself said Sweet Home Alabama was a direct influence on the song.

Those hosts were annoying, by the way.
Old 05-24-06, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by deadlax
I don't think anyone is actually upset that the same three chords are used. It's a question of using the same chords to create the same melody. This is the basic idea of copyright violation. There must be 10,000 songs with a D-A-G or G-C-G-D progression, but most of them do not sound the same.
When you say the same melody, what do you mean by that? The vocal melody? The rhythm? And if two songs share very similar verses but have completely different bridges, choruses, solos, outros, and basslines, would that still constitute a copyright violation? Sorry, I'm not familiar with copyright law at all.

The song clips from Amazon (hope these work):

Last Dance with Mary Jane

Dani California
Old 05-24-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
There are SEVEN chords. Now there are thousands of variations of those chords, and billions of possible combinations of chords. But there are still only seven chords.

A 1-7-4 progression is a very common progression. Unless somone literally covered MJLD, there is no copyright violation.

I understand your point - give someone three colors of paint and they will produce wildly different artwork. It's the same with music. But sometimes, they will produce the same thing.

I'm not going to say that the songs don't sound very similar. Clearly they do. But it's no copyright violation. I'm sure there are songs that MJLD sounds just like as well. Hell, I'll give you one - the chorus to Highway to Hell is A G D, just like the verse of MJLD. Now is that a copyright violation? Of course not. But it's the same thing - A G D.

Music begets music, inspiration flows from song to song. That's music's history. I can clearly see how similar these songs are, but I can also see how different they are - the tempo, a great deal of the verse, the chorus, etc.

But unless we are talking straight copy - there is no copyright violation.
Old 05-24-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sorry. It must not have been clear from my post. I'm not sure that this is copyright violation. But the argument the DJ and his guest use (that since the chords are the same it's a violation is not correct). However, the gold standard in song copyright cases is probably "he's so fine/my sweet lord." That song was determined to be a copyright violation. If that song was a violation, which I personally don't think it should be, than this song clearly is.

Info on the lawsuit including sound samples. http://www.copyrightwebsite.com/audi.../harrison.aspx
Old 05-25-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow. i opened this thread expecting to find a mashup done by someone with talent. instead, i got radio idiots. wonderful.
Old 05-25-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Both songs were produced by Rick Rubin*. Hmmmmmmmm.

*(I haven't yet listened to the file posted by the OP; forgive me if that little tidbit was mentioned)

Last edited by DJLinus; 05-25-06 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone's heard the song Waiting for the Sun by the Jayhawks, there is more than just the chord similarity. The song starts of with the same solo strum pattern as Mary Jane's Last Dance. A lot closer than the RHCP song. I beleive the Jahawks were on tour with Petty and he subliminally stole the riff.
Old 06-29-06, 04:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Tom Petty Responds To Red Hot Chili Controversy
Does "Dani California" sound too much like "Mary Jane's Last Dance"? Tom Petty tells Rolling Stone he doesn't give a shit.

"I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock 'n' roll songs sound alike. Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took 'American Girl' [for their song 'Last Nite'], and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, 'OK, good for you' ... If someone took my song note for note and stole it maliciously, then maybe [I'd sue]. But I don't believe in lawsuits much. I think there are enough frivolous law suits in this country without people fighting over pop songs."
Old 06-29-06, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Tom Petty Responds To Red Hot Chili Controversy
Does "Dani California" sound too much like "Mary Jane's Last Dance"? Tom Petty tells Rolling Stone he doesn't give a shit.

"I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock 'n' roll songs sound alike. Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took 'American Girl' [for their song 'Last Nite'], and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, 'OK, good for you' ... If someone took my song note for note and stole it maliciously, then maybe [I'd sue]. But I don't believe in lawsuits much. I think there are enough frivolous law suits in this country without people fighting over pop songs."

Wow!!! In this lawsuit-happy society how refreshing is that to hear.
Old 06-29-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With so many songs ever written, I believe that every song is a ripoff of at least one song!!

This does have some strange similarities!!
Old 06-29-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matty-O
Wow!!! In this lawsuit-happy society how refreshing is that to hear.

Tom Petty has always struck me as a cool guy. A guy who's early carreer was almost destroyed by legal problems and came out swinging with his best album (Damn the Torpedoes). His friend George Harrison was sued for copyright infringement over My Sweet Lord so he knows the territory well.
Old 07-03-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eddie Money's "Two Tickets To Paradise" came on the radio and I was reminded that Billy Joel basically ripped it off like CRAZY for "I Don't Know Why I Go To Extremes." Like, to an alarming degree.