Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me identity this movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across this movie while flipping channels, but forgot to note the time and channel to look up. I saw about 10 minutes of it and it was all choreographed dances with groups of guys and girls. It was 60s mod style, kinda like the dances that were in Austin Powers. It was really chic and "cool" throughout and felt like the set of a old Bond film. There would be a title screen with the name of each of the dances.
Old 05-23-06, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I came across this movie while flipping channels, but forgot to note the time and channel to look up. I saw about 10 minutes of it and it was all choreographed dances with groups of guys and girls. It was 60s mod style, kinda like the dances that were in Austin Powers. It was really chic and "cool" throughout and felt like the set of a old Bond film. There would be a title screen with the name of each of the dances.
You are going to need more descriptive details, enabling to determine the name. By only viewing an approximately ten minutes of the film, is surely insufficient for anyone to know.
Old 05-23-06, 08:00 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was "Sweet Charity" (1969), the nightclub scene. It is a loose adaptation of Fellini's "Nights of Cabiria", starring Shirley MacLaine. This musical was choreographed by Bob Fosse. The number is called "The Rich Man's Frug", with the two parts called "The Aloof" and "The Big Finish". You can see part of this sequence online here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnFQvlb2OA . It represents the epitome of the Fosse style and a spot-on take on late 60's pre-disco dances.

Last edited by baracine; 05-23-06 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's it. Thanks baracine! I wonder if it's available on DVD....

Know any other films like this?
Old 05-24-06, 06:01 PM
Suspended

It sure is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

...for almost no money.

Also available with choreography by Bob Fosse: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Old 05-24-06, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
You are going to need more descriptive details, enabling to determine the name. By only viewing an approximately ten minutes of the film, is surely insufficient for anyone to know.
Never under estimate the DVD Talk crowd.
Old 05-25-06, 10:43 AM
Suspended

Unfortunately, the only other film from the sixties with which Fosse was associated is "How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" (1967), which doesn't quite capture the special "gogo dancing" feeling of "Sweet Charity". But anything with Fosse is worth a look. He also appears in "Damn Yankees" (1958), which he also choreographed, dancing with his then-wife Gwen Verdon.